Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 9, 2017 02:47

beachbreak
Can you imagine playing the same songs for 40 years?

The boys really need an album of new material and like some of the B&L songs, it will sound fresh and great when they play it live.

Trust me, they still have a really good studio album in them, look at Tom Petty's "Hypnotic Eye" album, it was very good and the Stones are great song writers as well.

Could be. One thing I noticed watching videos of No Filter so far. During the classics they often seem to be played without much feeling. That changes radically when they launch into Just Your Fool. It's like they go back to how they were decades ago.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 9, 2017 03:12

Here is a great little quote coming from theoretical physics:

"The easiest person to fool is yourself" -- Richard Feynman

I just found out that they did not write "Lies" from Some Girls. I am really surprised. I never liked the song but at least you could say in a way it was ahead of its time. Many people feel that we are living in an era of fake news and political correctness gone amok. There are some real systemic issues. I shudder to think how people in 25 years from now will look back on this era. Just like we look back on 80s fashions perhaps?

The point is we want to be honest, and of course we want to respect other people's opinions. If anybody knows the story of Melisa Click you know what I am talking about. The Stones don't need a safe space.

I have always loved the Stones, and I am proud of them and for what they have achieved. They meant so much to millions of people and they still mean a lot to many people today. They have done so much and covered so much ground.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: October 9, 2017 06:24

What???? Who do you think wrote "Lies"??!

MileHigh
Here is a great little quote coming from theoretical physics:

"The easiest person to fool is yourself" -- Richard Feynman

I just found out that they did not write "Lies" from Some Girls. I am really surprised. I never liked the song but at least you could say in a way it was ahead of its time. Many people feel that we are living in an era of fake news and political correctness gone amok. There are some real systemic issues. I shudder to think how people in 25 years from now will look back on this era. Just like we look back on 80s fashions perhaps?

The point is we want to be honest, and of course we want to respect other people's opinions. If anybody knows the story of Melisa Click you know what I am talking about. The Stones don't need a safe space.

I have always loved the Stones, and I am proud of them and for what they have achieved. They meant so much to millions of people and they still mean a lot to many people today. They have done so much and covered so much ground.

Date: October 9, 2017 08:35

grinning smiley

Date: October 9, 2017 13:06

Two links say this: Songwriters: RICHARD LOWE, CHARLES ST JOHN WADDINGTON, DANIEL JAMES BIERTON, DANIEL HENRY BARTON WALDREN, SAM RICHARDS, SIMON MARK DAWSON, JAMES ROBERT ORRELL

But other links say: Jagger-Richards so I guess it's a lie. Just like Jagger-Richards lied about writing Prodigal Son, right?

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 9, 2017 13:06

"I'm into quality rather than quantity".

Me too ston4ever, but it remains in effect when I consider that a real dilemma does exist. Since the quality of their performances is satisfying me, I don't have reasons to desire a shorter show.

My "suggestion" about Sasha singing "Melody" and dancing alone for a few minutes, it was a joke, of course. But,to be honest, I would like to see her dancing at the particular rhythm...

Date: October 9, 2017 13:10

MileHigh
Two links say this: Songwriters: RICHARD LOWE, CHARLES ST JOHN WADDINGTON, DANIEL JAMES BIERTON, DANIEL HENRY BARTON WALDREN, SAM RICHARDS, SIMON MARK DAWSON, JAMES ROBERT ORRELL

But other links say: Jagger-Richards so I guess it's a lie. Just like Jagger-Richards lied about writing Prodigal Son, right?

I don't know where you find such things, but here it is from the horse's mouth:

«Some Girls was Mick('s song). Lies too.
- Keith Richards, Life (2010)»

Lies
Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: October-December 1977 & March-April 1978
Recording location: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France & Atlantic Studios, New York, USA
Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
Performed onstage: 1978

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 13:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 9, 2017 13:47

Maybe the guitarplayer Keith Richards felt monivated to perform the rock and pop hits of their boyband - TWGRNRB era perfectly in 1989 (not my favourite versions at all) and now he's just too old to bother. Imagine playing something you and your mates came up with in your early to mid 20s when you're 74.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 9, 2017 18:12

DandelionPowderman
MileHigh

Lies
Recording location: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France & Atlantic Studios, New York, USA
His knowledge of Stones writing credits is about as reliable as the bullshit reactionary political talking points he ham-fistedly shoves into every @#$%& post of his.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2017 18:26

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
MileHigh

Lies
His knowledge of Stones writing credits is about as reliable as the bullshit reactionary political talking points he ham-fistedly shoves into every @#$%& post of his.

I typed in CHARLES ST JOHN WADDINGTON into google search for the heck of it, and low and behold the very first link is to LyricsFreak and with songwriting credits to Lies listed as:

Songwriters: RICHARD LOWE, CHARLES ST JOHN WADDINGTON, DANIEL JAMES BIERTON, DANIEL HENRY BARTON WALDREN, SAM RICHARDS, SIMON MARK DAWSON, JAMES ROBERT ORRELL
Lies lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, BEN SCHULTZ D/B/A I NOSE MUSIC THE KOKORO GROUP

The third link listed on the google is to Lies on SongMeanings. Credit at the tops says "Lies" as written by and Mick/richards Jagger...."

At the bottom the credits say:

"Lies" as written by Charles St John Waddington Richard Lowe
Lyrics © EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, BEN SCHULTZ D/B/A I NOSE MUSIC THE KOKORO GROUP

Evidently someone is having a laugh and giving these sites wrong info.
Either that, or I've been bamboozled all these years in to thinking Lies is a 100% Stones song!

Date: October 9, 2017 18:29

I see that too. Very bizarre. Looks like a database screw-up.

It's certainly possible, but Lies is such a silly and basic song that I doubt Mick and Keith needed to have it ghostwritten, or lift the lyrics from someone else.

Hell, 70% of the total lyrics is the word "Lies".

Date: October 9, 2017 18:36

Have to say, the names RICHARD LOWE, CHARLES ST JOHN WADDINGTON, DANIEL JAMES BIERTON, DANIEL HENRY BARTON WALDREN, SAM RICHARDS, SIMON MARK DAWSON, JAMES ROBERT ORRELL have a nice ring to them!
But they sound more like elderly stars from a television soap opera or mystery show vs. songwriters of rock and roll music.

Date: October 9, 2017 18:49

Maybe they wrote a song called "Lies" as well? Hardly an original title smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2017 20:11

keefriff99

lol, more LIES! Yes you got "pwned" on the other thread and I mentioned some stuff that's true that just fries your brain. The point is there is no reason to lie about Keith's situation, just like there is no reason to lie about what is taking place in society. And the motivation is altruistic, to improve our society for the benefit of all. That's a truth that is escaping you.

Date: October 9, 2017 20:48

"Hell, 70% of the total lyrics is the word "Lies"."

You say lies, lies, lies, lies, keefriff99... The percentage is 39%. I just counted...

Date: October 9, 2017 20:58

laertisflash
"Hell, 70% of the total lyrics is the word "Lies"."

You say lies, lies, lies, lies, keefriff99... The percentage is 39%. I just counted...
I actually thought about calculating the actual percentage, but decided not to.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 9, 2017 21:03

keefriff99

It's certainly possible, but Lies is such a silly and basic song that I doubt Mick and Keith needed to have it ghostwritten, or lift the lyrics from someone else.

It's pure genius. It's the song the musical climate at the time begged for. Just like "Miss You". One of the (many) highlights of the 1978 tour, too. Straight in your face. Simple, but effective. The "Satisfaction" formula transferred to Punk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 21:05 by retired_dog.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:05

retired_dog
keefriff99

It's pure genius. It's the song the musical climate at the time begged for. Just like "Miss You". One of the (many) highlights of the 1978 tour, too. Straight in your face. Simple, but effective. The "Satisfaction" formula transferred to Punk.

thumbs up

Date: October 9, 2017 21:08

"The "Satisfaction" formula transfered to Punk".

Very good description, RD. Yes, it was a kind of "Satisfaction" for the punky years...

Date: October 9, 2017 21:09

retired_dog
keefriff99

If Lies is "genius", then what is Gimme Shelter or Sympathy for the Devil? Words have to have meanings.

It's a great little punk rocker. It does exactly what's it supposed to do, but the lyrics ARE silly and basic.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:12

keefriff99
retired_dog
keefriff99

If Lies is "genius", then what is Gimme Shelter or Sympathy for the Devil? Words have to have meanings.

It's a great little punk rocker. It does exactly what's it supposed to do, but the lyrics ARE silly and basic.

"Lies" was not written and recorded to please old fans. It was created to win new, young fans at the time.

Of course, Shelter and Sympathy were genius, too. But it's not that their chord progressions were exactly Mozart or Beethoven compared to "Lies". It's just - well, different times, different requirements. The Stones were like chameleons back then, always able to adjust their game. That's what I call "genius". I could name a lot of musicians who are able to play circles around the Stones. But ask them to come up with something simple, effective and recognizable like the Stones - no!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 21:22 by retired_dog.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:19

retired_dog
keefriff99
retired_dog
keefriff99

"Lies" was not written and recorded to please old fans. It was created to win new, young fans at the time.
That's a complete non sequitur. Again, if Lies is a "genius" song, then what words would you use for ACTUAL genius songs like Gimme Shelter?

You think Lies is the reason Some Girls was such a huge hit?

This entire argument hinges on the fact that I said the lyrics to Lies are basically a throwaway. Many songs have throwaway lyrics and can still be excellent if the music is kick-ass, and Lies certainly qualifies as a kick-ass rocker instrumentally.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:24

keefriff99
retired_dog
keefriff99
retired_dog
keefriff99

That's a complete non sequitur. Again, if Lies is a "genius" song, then what words would you use for ACTUAL genius songs like Gimme Shelter?

You think Lies is the reason Some Girls was such a huge hit?

This entire argument hinges on the fact that I said the lyrics to Lies are basically a throwaway. Many songs have throwaway lyrics and can still be excellent if the music is kick-ass, and Lies certainly qualifies as a kick-ass rocker instrumentally.

Just added this to my above post:

"Of course, Shelter and Sympathy were genius, too. But it's not that their chord progressions were exactly Mozart or Beethoven compared to "Lies". It's just - well, different times, different requirements. The Stones were like chameleons back then, always able to adjust their game. That's what I call "genius". I could name a lot of musicians who are able to play circles around the Stones. But ask them to come up with something simple, effective and recognizable like the Stones - no!"

Enough said.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:35

Ah, and just one last thing:

Do I think Lies is the reason Some Girls was such a huge hit?

No. But it's an important piece of the "Some Girls"puzzle. Lies and Whip worked as punkish counterparts to Miss You. These tracks showed that the Stones were able to incorporate the latest musical trends (not exactly loved by older fans at the time, I can tell you!) into their sound and still sound like the Stones.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:53

Lies is simply brilliant! (waiting for stanlove to chime in and say the word "brilliant' is overused and has become meaningless winking smiley).

Seriously, it is a damn f*king fine song that packs a punch, and is an essential element of Some Girls - it's part of what makes Some Girls great - for me anyways.
It has all the key ingredients of a great Stones song imo - Jagger barking and spitting out almost unintelligible lyrics, guitars slashing and burning throughout, and the bass and drums holding down the fort.
While I've never considered it a "punk song" in any way, the influence of punk on it can be heard. Fast and reckless - organized chaos...all done Stones style in just over three minutes.

Date: October 9, 2017 21:55

Add "proper", and stanlove will be over the moon grinning smiley

Date: October 9, 2017 22:13

There's nothing wrong with a good rocker that keeps the energy going. It doesn't need great lyrics to be a key part of the album.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 9, 2017 23:56

MileHigh
keefriff99

lol, more LIES! Yes you got "pwned" on the other thread and I mentioned some stuff that's true that just fries your brain. The point is there is no reason to lie about Keith's situation, just like there is no reason to lie about what is taking place in society. And the motivation is altruistic, to improve our society for the benefit of all. That's a truth that is escaping you.

Sorry what is Keith's situation ??

The only situation a i can see tonight is that he just played a great show.

Date: October 10, 2017 00:11

MileHigh
keefriff99

In no way did I get "pwned"...you posted a bunch of race-baiting nonsense and then the thread was closed. Take it to Breitbart and stop shoving your far-right politics into non-political threads.

Date: October 10, 2017 01:01

Keith was a different keith from the tour opener. Can we delete this topic? It is irrelevant since his playing tonight was just one of the best i have ever seen him since 2003.

Do not worry about keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home