Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 49 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 10, 2017 21:29

[www.youtube.com]

Keith was good on GS last night - He played the opening seductive splash of notes and chords and okay solo. He was on .

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 10, 2017 21:32

I was really pleased to see and hear that Keith had really pulled out the stops in Dusseldorf, I may be critical of him when he is bad, but I'll always be chuffed to bits when he's on point.

It does seem to be a warming up thing with him. Takes him to get a few shows under his belt before he hits his stride....he's gonna peak for the last show!

I watched the SFM clip and it gave me a warm feeling to see him playing with passion and attack, then i watched it from the 72 tour and as always it blew my mind and shows just how far away from the Stones at their peak they are....but I'm still glad they are putting it out there to the best of their abilities....what a drag it is getting old.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 11, 2017 00:20

I dont think Jagger ever rolled his eyes over Keith

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 11, 2017 00:53

crumbling_mice
I was really pleased to see and hear that Keith had really pulled out the stops in Dusseldorf, I may be critical of him when he is bad, but I'll always be chuffed to bits when he's on point.

It does seem to be a warming up thing with him. Takes him to get a few shows under his belt before he hits his stride....he's gonna peak for the last show!

I watched the SFM clip and it gave me a warm feeling to see him playing with passion and attack, then i watched it from the 72 tour and as always it blew my mind and shows just how far away from the Stones at their peak they are....but I'm still glad they are putting it out there to the best of their abilities....what a drag it is getting old.

Disagreed, actually I think this years SFM is better than in 1972, and this is since Charlie kind of rushed the beat too much in '72 and Mick didn't phrase the lyrics he just kind of yelled the lyrics. Nowdays the groove they get together during the instrumental parts of SFM is just marvelous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 00:58 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:22

yeababyyea
crumbling_mice

Disagreed, actually I think this years SFM is better than in 1972, and this is since Charlie kind of rushed the beat too much in '72 and Mick didn't phrase the lyrics he just kind of yelled the lyrics. Nowdays the groove they get together during the instrumental parts of SFM is just marvelous.

In all fairness we should wait for the 2062 tour to get a full impression of a 90 years development...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:25

The 1972 version(s) were over earthly. They will never ever even come close to that again.

Date: October 11, 2017 01:30

shortfatfanny
In all fairness we should wait for the 2062 tour to get a full impression of a 90 years development...

In all fairness I think Street Fighting Man was best live during the Licks-tour, better than in both 1972 or 2017, however this years versions are not far off from 2002-03 and sometimes even better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 01:33 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:38

yeababyyea
shortfatfanny

In all fairness I think Street Fighting Man was best live during the Licks-tour, better than in both 1972 or 2017, however this years versions are not far off from 2002-03 and sometimes even better.

Hey yeababy...you wasn't the target but crumbling mice and his observation of the '72 peak...

sorry,I should have made that clear.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:40

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Keith was good on GS last night - He played the opening seductive splash of notes and chords and okay solo. He was on .

Agreed, both Keith and Ronnie were really on with GS last night.

Keith was great, so confident, and he and Ronnie's weaving felt new and refreshing.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:52

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

I really have to eat some crow after watching these new clips. The cohesion of their playing as a band has come so far since the beginning of the tour. Glad to be proven wrong about Keith having completely lost it.

Date: October 11, 2017 02:15

shortfatfanny
Hey yeababy...you wasn't the target but crumbling mice and his observation of the '72 peak...

sorry,I should have made that clear.

Ah, gotcha! smileys with beer

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 11, 2017 02:51

then i watched it from the 72 tour

'72 was a very different beast.

Not as many players.

Keith had a much fatter sound.

Mick Taylor's lead playing on SFM was scorching!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2017 03:32

beachbreak

Not as many players.

There's really no comparisons to be made other than Keith, Mick, and Charlie have the same name and are the same people on stage, albeit much older.
So, based on the current state of the band 45 years later at the average ripe old age of 75 (!), they seem to be doing a fine job....make that a fantastic job.
Had Mick Taylor stayed with the band might things be even be better? Of course they would!!! (imo).
Not a knock on Ronnie as he's doing great compared to some of his past shenanigans. Thank you Ronnie!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 09:55

Yes, they never did after that... And not only on SFM...

Redhotcarpet
The 1972 version(s) were over earthly. They will never ever even come close to that again.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 09:56 by powerage78.

Date: October 11, 2017 10:04

<The 1972 version(s) were over earthly. They will never ever even come close to that again.>

They found another way to improve it on Stripped, though. The best live version ever, imo. Keith with the real opening riff, and the overall sound is so powerful.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 10:26

yeababyyea
shortfatfanny

In all fairness, SFM from Hyde Park in 2013 is the greatest!!

Rod

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2017 11:50

beachbreak

Not as many players.

And Keith obviously played a lot better + the Bill Wyman factor.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:15

+ Mick Taylor rhythm playing too...
FOCUS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 12:16 by powerage78.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:20

Very good yes, but guitars are more powerful in 1969 (GYYYO) or 1972 especially at the end of the song.Too muck Chuck at the end too...

DandelionPowderman

They found another way to improve it on Stripped, though. The best live version ever, imo. Keith with the real opening riff, and the overall sound is so powerful.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:24

powerage78
Very good yes, but guitars are more powerful in 1969 (GYYYO) or 1972 especially at the end of the song.Too muck Chuck at the end too...

DandelionPowderman

Do you really think so? I think Keith held a bit back 1969-1975.

The intro and the groove is very important to me in this song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 12:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:32

Mick Taylor rhythm playing is VERY important too...

Date: October 11, 2017 12:33

powerage78
Mick Taylor rhythm playing is VERY important too...

I wouldn't call one string-licks rhythm playing, though

Date: October 11, 2017 12:37

Well, yes, but "one string-licks" fundamental for the intensity of the song...
The 1969 and 1972 versions are high-speed trains, so powerful.

Date: October 11, 2017 12:46

powerage78
Well, yes, but "one string-licks" fundamental for the intensity of the song...
The 1969 and 1972 versions are high-speed trains, so powerful.

My point was that the rhythm wasn't powerful enough on these versions (imo). The lead guitar was brilliant, though.

For the arena-shows on the Licks-tour, and on Stripped, Keith found back to the magic of the studio version - playing the intro with the right rhythm + with the right punch in the breaks.

Probably minor details for many, but VERY important for me smiling smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 11, 2017 12:51

bitusa2012
yeababyyea
shortfatfanny

In all fairness, SFM from Hyde Park in 2013 is the greatest!!

I was in Hyde Park and I agree that Street Fighting Man was epic, but the reditions I've witnessed just a few weeks ago in Hamburg, Lucca and Amsterdam were not inferior, IMO.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 11, 2017 13:14

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Wow, I was just blown away and run over by the Rolling Stones steam locomotive rolling down the tracks to the wonder and joy of Gimmie Shelter. Keith playing the intro like it's 1969 with the war raging in Vietnam ,with Jagger's most powerful written lyrics sung with such passion and he really is singing with such a voice dripping with so much emotion .Bravo Glimmer Twins !!!!!!!!!! I never for once thought they could not get it together and pull it off in such a grand style truly befitting the label of the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World .Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to all the naysayers ,what do you say now ?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 11, 2017 14:33

TheGreek
OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Wow, I was just blown away and run over by the Rolling Stones steam locomotive rolling down the tracks to the wonder and joy of Gimmie Shelter. Keith playing the intro like it's 1969 with the war raging in Vietnam ,with Jagger's most powerful written lyrics sung with such passion and he really is singing with such a voice dripping with so much emotion .Bravo Glimmer Twins !!!!!!!!!! I never for once thought they could not get it together and pull it off in such a grand style truly befitting the label of the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World .Bravo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to all the naysayers ,what do you say now ?

I say you are still deluded....
Whilst Keith showed us he can still have a presence on stage (dusseldorf show), his guitar work is still full of bum notes and errors - which is ok, but to hear people constantly say he is on fire is wrong..lets just say he was better than the first 2 shows of the tour and is probably playing as good as we will ever see him. His solos (dusseldorf show), whilst to the layman sound "great", to me there is no fluency or pattern to them - he is playing within his limits....and luckily in key (which can disguise his bum notes which are there!). It shows to me he does not practise at all as we dont hear anything different from him.
I am being critical however..

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 11, 2017 14:48

Eleanor Rigby, it's good to be critical. But it's bad to be unfairly critical. Now I think you're moving somewhere close to unfairness...

Date: October 11, 2017 14:52

Eleanor Rigby
TheGreek
OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

I say you are still deluded....
Whilst Keith showed us he can still have a presence on stage (dusseldorf show), his guitar work is still full of bum notes and errors - which is ok, but to hear people constantly say he is on fire is wrong..lets just say he was better than the first 2 shows of the tour and is probably playing as good as we will ever see him. His solos (dusseldorf show), whilst to the layman sound "great", to me there is no fluency or pattern to them - he is playing within his limits....and luckily in key (which can disguise his bum notes which are there!). It shows to me he does not practise at all as we dont hear anything different from him.
I am being critical however..

The thing that really baffles me is that you can't hear that it was that in 1969 as well. After round 1967 it's always been like that.

In the early days, he was Mr. Precision himself.

Date: October 11, 2017 15:13

DP, for you, is there any 2017 version of GS better than any in 1969 ?
Just a question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 15:16 by powerage78.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253Next
Current Page: 49 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home