Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 8, 2017 22:45

GS is not among the first couple of songs...

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:00

DandelionPowderman
It's as simple as he is having some trouble on the first couple of songs on each show. The same thing happens on a couple of numbers towards the end. The rest of his playing is great.

This is what I have observed anyway.

Its lovely the way you observe Keith in such a positive way, quite often i can't see it, i mean i get cought up in all the negativity and emotion surrounding Keith.

And then when you point things out in that level headed way of yours, you turn out to be right.

He hasn't really been that bad from the start, i just didn't like the first show when he didn't move much and he seemed to be distracted..

Bearing in mind what you just said about the start and finish of the show, i for one could forgive the Stones for missing out SFTD and Satisfaction, if it meant we got a shorter but more energized show. I think 2 hours is enough for keith, he doesn't get a break like Mick. Perhaps Keith should have a break during Miss You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 23:05 by stone4ever.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:05

As a kind of blockage on some numbers ?

DandelionPowderman
It's as simple as he is having some trouble on the first couple of songs on each show. The same thing happens on a couple of numbers towards the end. The rest of his playing is great.

This is what I have observed anyway.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 23:07 by powerage78.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:10

''It's as simple as he is having some trouble on the first couple of songs on each show. The same thing happens on a couple of numbers towards the end.''

Mick's voice really wears down the last few songs, it has been that way since 2012. Glastonbury 2013 is the perfect example, Mick really struggled with Start Me Up. Same thing with Gimme Shelter this tour, the power in his voice isn't there. When he sang ''Oh a storm is threatening'' it used to give me chills how good it sounded, now... it's more like him talking the lyrics. Compare Mick singing Gimme Shelter with U2 in 2009 with today and it's like a different singer.
Often it's seems like people are so fast to blame any bad performance on Keith, when it many times is Mick's voice that's not really there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 23:33 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:36

TheBlockbuster
''It's as simple as he is having some trouble on the first couple of songs on each show. The same thing happens on a couple of numbers towards the end.''

Mick's voice really wears down the last few songs, it has been that way since 2012. Glastonbury 2013 is the perfect example, Mick really struggled with Start Me Up. Same thing with Gimme Shelter this tour, the power in his voice isn't there. When he sang ''Oh a storm is threatening'' it used to give me chills how good it sounded, now... it's more like him talking the lyrics. Compare Mick singing Gimme Shelter with U2 in 2009 with today and it's like a different singer.
Often it's seems like people are so fast to blame any bad performance on Keith, when it many times is Mick's voice that's not really there.

I think if they continue they might consider doing some type of Branson-type residency, or even a regular gig in Las Vegas. Play every other night, 60 to 90 minutes.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:44

"...Compare Mick singing Gimme Shelter with U2 in 2009 with today and it's like a different singer..."

Blockbuster, you probably mean the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Anniversary Shows, right? But I think it's a bit unfair the particular comparison. Because Mick spent all his power to just ONE song, then. On the current tour he starts singing Gimme Shelter after a two hours show. After having sang 18 numbers and spent a lot of energy, performing as he performs...
Anyway, despite the fact that my favorite Stone is Keith (always he was...), I have to admit that Mick is a real "natural marvel". And when his voice wears down, he knows how to keep high the charm of the performance.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 8, 2017 23:58

TheBlockbuster

Is it just me who thinks that on No Filter so far, Mick's singing much stronger than in recent years.

Date: October 8, 2017 23:59

"... many times is Mick's voice that's not really there..."

"Many times"? I would not say that..

Date: October 9, 2017 00:05

"Is it just me who thinks that on No Filter so far, Mick's singing much stronger than in recent years".

Retired Dog, I think he's the same amazing performer we enjoyed in the recent years, too. Overall.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 9, 2017 00:11

laertisflash
"Is it just me who thinks that on No Filter so far, Mick's singing much stronger than in recent years".

Retired Dog, I think he's the same amazing performer we enjoyed in the recent years, too. Overall.
I think from 2012-2013 his singing was a bit nasal and sometimes strained. From 2014 on his singing was much more open and natural sounding. You can also hear this development if you first listen to Doom and Gloom and then to something from Blue and Lonesome. 2012 and 2016, only four years but his singing is so much better now.

Date: October 9, 2017 00:14

laertisflash
"...Compare Mick singing Gimme Shelter with U2 in 2009 with today and it's like a different singer..."

Blockbuster, you probably mean the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Anniversary Shows, right? But I think it's a bit unfair the particular comparison. Because Mick spent all his power to just ONE song, then. On the current tour he starts singing Gimme Shelter after a two hours show. After having sang 18 numbers and spent a lot of energy, performing as he performs...
Anyway, despite the fact that my favorite Stone is Keith (always he was...), I have to admit that Mick is a real "natural marvel". And when his voice wears down, he knows how to keep high the charm of the performance.

Yes the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

I'm not saying Mick isn't still great, I'm saying his voice tends to get tired during the last few songs (and sometimes before), but people wants to blame everything on Keith instead. This tour he's really good on most songs, but not close to how good he sang back in 2007 IMO.

Date: October 9, 2017 00:28

Ston4ever (1) "... if it meant we got a shorter but more energized show"

Nooooooo.... The gigs are already energized and I'm very happy they do last for 130 minutes. Don't seed bad ideas, ston4ever!

Ston4ever (2): "I think 2 hours is enough for keith, he doesn't get a break like Mick. Perhaps Keith should have a break during Miss You".

And if he (or they) need another break, I think there are solutions. Let Sasha sing "Melody" for a few minutes, along with some piano, some bass and nothing more. Oh, yes, let Sasha sing and dance for 3-4 minutes. It could be nice...

Date: October 9, 2017 00:34

It WOULD be nice...

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 9, 2017 00:54

46 PAGES OF THIS SH*TE ! Bored of slagging off Keith, so now it's Jagger's turn.

The greatest frontman ever is 74 years old(!) and his voice isn't always perfect ?

ARE THERE ANY STONES FANS ON IORR ANYMORE ?...............WTF !!?

sc uk

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:00

I've seen a lot of less than stellar Keith moments ever since they came back in 2012...and sometimes before, lol. He's never been slick but there's no denying he's lost dexterity. When he plays within his limitations it's still good. I keep referring back to his playing in Havana Moon. I thought he was great there. Truly not as flashy as say 1989 but what he played worked. He sounded like Keith. I know they had to fix his solo in OOC but to anyone's knowledge did they fix or overdub anything else? If not, I'd be very happy if he could maintain that level of playing. It wasn't that long ago either.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:09

Mick has lost essentially all of his stage charisma compared to his younger days. It's perfectly understandable. He is not so great on stage like people are saying. He is smart enough to dress age-appropriate and the jump suits and the strip-downs to his bare chest are long gone.

Keith is very shaky and I can draw an unflattering analogy for some of the people in this thread. In those shows like American Idol and The Voice in the early trial rounds you have people that try out that obviously can't sing a note but they truly believe that they can. Or you see proud parents that fool themselves with their own bias such that they lose all objectivity and support their kids and think they are great when they clearly aren't. That phenomenon is happening here too.

I listened to that Street Fighting Man from Amsterdam and I wasn't impressed at all.

My fantasy is one last concert in London for twenty bucks a head that's televised for free around the world and then call it a day.

P.S.: I think the absolute ultimate time to have seen the Rolling Stones would have been in 1970 and 1971. They were playing amazing songs that in many cases weren't even officially released and it was a pure "modern" rock and roll experience. A line of amplifiers behind the band, speaker stacks on the left and right, a few spot lights, and the crowd right up to the edge of the stage at chest level (just like you see in Gimme Shelter). It just doesn't get any better than that.

Date: October 9, 2017 01:20

straycatuk
46 PAGES OF THIS SH*TE ! Bored of slagging off Keith, so now it's Jagger's turn.

The greatest frontman ever is 74 years old(!) and his voice isn't always perfect ?

sc uk

Where did that come from, because one person said Mick's voice struggles with GS.

If its true or not, so what ,if he does struggle on GS gig deal, why overreact like that.

None of us are fans because one person said something negative about Mick for once. What is going on here. You don't contribute to our conversations on this thread. I just read your posts on this thread, very sparse and very troll like.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:22

MileHigh
Mick has lost essentially all of his stage charisma compared to his younger days. It's perfectly understandable. He is not so great on stage like people are saying. He is smart enough to dress age-appropriate and the jump suits and the strip-downs to his bare chest are long gone.

Keith is very shaky and I can draw an unflattering analogy for some of the people in this thread. In those shows like American Idol and The Voice in the early trial rounds you have people that try out that obviously can't sing a note but they truly believe that they can. Or you see proud parents that fool themselves with their own bias such that they lose all objectivity and support their kids and think they are great when they clearly aren't. That phenomenon is happening here too.

I listened to that Street Fighting Man from Amsterdam and I wasn't impressed at all.

My fantasy is one last concert in London for twenty bucks a head that's televised for free around the world and then call it a day.

P.S.: I think the absolute ultimate time to have seen the Rolling Stones would have been in 1970 and 1971. They were playing amazing songs that in many cases weren't even officially released and it was a pure "modern" rock and roll experience. A line of amplifiers behind the band, speaker stacks on the left and right, a few spot lights, and the crowd right up to the edge of the stage at chest level (just like you see in Gimme Shelter). It just doesn't get any better than that.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings. I always wanted to see them go out on top of their game and we've clearly passed that point. If they were like their old blues idols who played till they dropped, although in less demanding club type venues, I could see them going on forever. But to pack stadiums at high prices where expectations run high and then not be able to deliver....it's kind of sad, although I always hold out hope that they'll rally and rise to greatness again, at least once in a while. But the older they get, the less realistic that becomes. What's also sad is that Charlie, Ronnie and Mick are still playing very well (and sure Mick's not his manic younger self but he's still an amazingly engaging front man), but Keith, whom I've always defended is become harder to defend. I wonder if he hears what we hear? When he butchers his licks to Sympathy does he know how off it sounds?

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: October 9, 2017 01:24

laertisflash

Nooooooo.... The gigs are already energized and I'm very happy they do last for 130 minutes. Don't seed bad ideas, ston4ever!

Ston4ever (2): "I think 2 hours is enough for keith, he doesn't get a break like Mick. Perhaps Keith should have a break during Miss You".

And if he (or they) need another break, I think there are solutions. Let Sasha sing "Melody" for a few minutes, along with some piano, some bass and nothing more. Oh, yes, let Sasha sing and dance for 3-4 minutes. It could be nice...

thumbs up Ok keep your 130 mins. I think your suggestions are great BTW but that ends up making the show even longer.

I'm into quality rather than quantity.

PS. I wouldn't want to see Sasha if she was playing free in my local boozer.
The way she is singing GS at present is no where near as good as Lisa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 01:33 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:44

stone4ever
laertisflash

thumbs up Ok keep your 130 mins. I think your suggestions are great BTW but that ends up making the show even longer.

But just as it takes Keith time to find his groove once a new tour starts, couldn't the same be said for each show? If they chop out Sympathy, then wouldn't the song that takes it's place suffer in the same way?
As an opener, Sympathy has proven to be a warmup for the show...like stretching before a long run. And while I still don't think it's a great choice as an opener, it seems to serve a purpose...oil up the machine until it's running smooth and the band gets their bearings straight. As for decline in the last song or two, can't say I have an explanation...maybe Keith and/or the rest of the band are simply running out of steam by that point.
It happened to Mick at the Desert Trip shows...singing fine until about half way through the show. And then something strange happened...especially weekend two...his vocals sounded nasally and almost high-pitched - almost like when you someone inhales helium (lol that's an exaggeration) winking smiley. Might have been the dry desert air, but I seem to recall this happening at previous shows before that. It must be like running a marathon for all of them at this point, and not all of them make it to the finish line at the same time and with the same amount of pep in their step.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:50

Be careful all, do not criticize. I just got in mucho trouble

Date: October 9, 2017 01:54

Hairball
stone4ever
laertisflash

But just as it takes Keith time to find his groove once a new tour starts, couldn't the same be said for each show? If they chop out Sympathy, then wouldn't the song that takes it's place suffer in the same way?
As an opener, Sympathy has proven to be a warmup for the show...like stretching before a long run. And while I still don't think it's a great choice as an opener, it seems to serve a purpose...oil up the machine until it's running smooth and the band gets their bearings straight. As for decline in the last song or two, can't say I have an explanation...maybe Keith and/or the rest of the band are simply running out of steam by that point.
It happened to Mick at the Desert Trip shows...singing fine until about half way through the show. And then something strange happened...especially weekend two...his vocals sounded nasally and almost high-pitched - almost like when you someone inhales helium (lol that's an exaggeration) winking smiley. Might have been the dry desert air, but I seem to recall this happening at previous shows before that. It must be like running a marathon for all of them at this point, and not all of them make it to the finish line at the same time and with the same amount of pep in their step.

Look at Keith at the end of Brown Sugar Copenhagen 6 Min 12 sec. He's done.
He still needs to play JJF, GS, Satisfaction. Personally i don't need to hear Satisfaction ever again.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 9, 2017 01:58

stone4ever
straycatuk

sc uk

Where did that come from, because one person said Mick's voice struggles with GS.

If its true or not, so what ,if he does struggle on GS gig deal, why overreact like that.

None of us are fans because one person said something negative about Mick for once. What is going on here. You don't contribute to our conversations on this thread. I just read your posts on this thread, very sparse and very troll like.

Troll like? I've been here a long time and IORR fanzine since the 90s. Maybe I have nothing to say anymore ? I'll avoid clicking on this thread again as it's too depressing. I certainly won't turn on Keith or Mick just because, against all expectations (in Keith's case) , they've lived to be old.

I tell you what - I'll go to the gigs and enjoy them and you can carry on with your "conversations" without me. Hope everyone's happy now - peace.

sc uk

Date: October 9, 2017 02:01

straycatuk
stone4ever
straycatuk

sc uk

Troll like? I've been here a long time and IORR fanzine since the 90s. Maybe I have nothing to say anymore ? I'll avoid clicking on this thread again as it's too depressing. I certainly won't turn on Keith or Mick just because, against all expectations (in Keith's case) , they've lived to be old.

I tell you what - I'll go to the gigs and enjoy them and you can carry on with your "conversations" without me. Hope everyone's happy now - peace.

sc uk

Definition of troll like behavior is entering a discussion and trying to ruin it for the rest of us.
No one is bashing the Stones, we all love the Stones. Calm down.

Date: October 9, 2017 02:07

I've not ruined anything. This will go on and on . I'm Calm and contemplating a week in Paris.

Date: October 9, 2017 02:09

straycatuk
I've not ruined anything. This will go on and on . I'm Calm and contemplating a week in Paris.

Ok sorry mate, see you there thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: October 9, 2017 02:14

thumbs up smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2017 02:21

stone4ever
Personally i don't need to hear Satisfaction ever again.

Same here. It seems like yet another song Mick thinks they ''have'' to play in order not to upset the audience. I don't think anyone would be bothered if they threw in ''All Down The Line'' in the latter part of the set and buried ''Satisfaction'' once and for all...

With the b-stage out of the equation we always know exactly what to expect after Chuck takes out his doomed cowbell and starts ''Honky Tonk Women'', it takes some nerve out of the show for us diehard fans atleast...

Date: October 9, 2017 02:26

TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
Personally i don't need to hear Satisfaction ever again.

Same here. It seems like yet another song Mick thinks they ''have'' to play in order not to upset the audience. I don't think anyone would be bothered if they threw in ''All Down The Line'' in the latter part of the set and buried ''Satisfaction'' once and for all...

With the b-stage out of the equation we always know exactly what to expect after Chuck takes out his doomed cowbell and starts ''Honky Tonk Women'', it takes some nerve out of the show for us diehard fans atleast...

I could never figure out why All Down The Line wasn't a regular Warhorse. It was the best song played 81' 82' Maybe it's because they really need to play it and sing it.
You can't do half measures with a song like that.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 9, 2017 02:38

Can you imagine playing the same songs for 40 years?

The boys really need an album of new material and like some of the B&L songs, it will sound fresh and great when they play it live.

Trust me, they still have a really good studio album in them, look at Tom Petty's "Hypnotic Eye" album, it was very good and the Stones are great song writers as well.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051...LastNext
Current Page: 46 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home