Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:07

HECK!!!!! .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:09

His sound is perfect in any way. He is at his peak as a performer and as a human being.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:21

At his peak as a performer ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:40

Hairball
While the Stereophonics are (or were) a pretty good band, I have to say that cover sounds a bit hokey - almost like a new country rockin' style version...yeehaw.

Here's a decent cover of the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping played by Kelly Jones and Noel Gallagher (and other members of Oasis and Stereophonics?) from about 10 years ago (?)at a John Lennon Memorial concert.

Noel Gallagher & Kelly Jones - I'm Only Sleeping

Ronnie Wood makes a very brief cameo at a table filled with booze and mouthing the words to the tune, with Jo Wood looking on smiling...

That sent me to sleep.

Ronnie in the drinking days, he looks so happy.

Date: October 8, 2017 14:41

powerage78

Well he is when he sings Slipping Away.

Date: October 8, 2017 14:49

powerage78
Hi DP smoking smiley You don't like metaphores grinning smiley
Money is a motivation for both but not the only one obviously...

Even worse, I didn't understand the metaphors.

Thanks smiling smiley

PS: Do you really think they both are in charge? smoking smiley

Posted by: nikola0406 ()

powerage78

[www.dictionary.com]

Perform - to render (music), as by playing or singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 14:50 by nikola0406.

Date: October 8, 2017 14:51

TheBlockbuster
Regarding Keith's sound nowadays, it's just hard on the ears. It's an aural assault everytime he starts playing a solo with that Les Paul Junior. I looked back and noticed he used the Les Paul Junior on SFTD in 1995 aswell, but back then his sound was much more enjoyable, I wish he went back to this smoother sound: video: [youtu.be]

It sounds excellent on UMT, so...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:57

stone4ever
powerage78

One bird does not make a summer... Being "at his peak as a performer" is a strong claim, possibly from a younger fan who's not listening to recordings from his real peak all too much. The band as a whole still has strong moments, but speaking of a peak is a superlative that's just not justified considering the whole picture.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 8, 2017 14:58

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
Regarding Keith's sound nowadays, it's just hard on the ears. It's an aural assault everytime he starts playing a solo with that Les Paul Junior. I looked back and noticed he used the Les Paul Junior on SFTD in 1995 aswell, but back then his sound was much more enjoyable, I wish he went back to this smoother sound: video: [youtu.be]

Yes, so very 1969-ish...

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 15:03

Looking at the videos of Under My Thumb from Copenhagen: That's some fine guitar playing there. Must be the best version of the tour so far.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 8, 2017 15:35

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

It's sounds really good when he plays on the first few frets but somewhere around the 7th fret it becomes too much IMO.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 8, 2017 15:41

stone4ever
No sorry WITNESS ?? REALLY ?? you miss the point once again.

Mick's relationship with Keith now is a business relationship, a relationship Mick would not have with Keith under any other circumstances.

They earn huge sums of money together, this is why Mick has a relationship with Keith. Its irrelevant that Keith earns the same money. That's not the point i am making. Keith seems to see or hopes for more from his relationship with Mick than just a business. This is part of Keith's romantic notion of life in general explained in my post.

I'm sorry but i went to a lot of trouble in my post to explain things about Keith the way i see it and you are trying to turn it into a Mick against Keith post.
Not happy about that. I'M OFF FOR GOOD THIS TIME. That is an insult to a thoughtful post.

Nooo! Hell no.

Date: October 8, 2017 15:47

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
No sorry WITNESS ?? REALLY ?? you miss the point once again.

Mick's relationship with Keith now is a business relationship, a relationship Mick would not have with Keith under any other circumstances.

They earn huge sums of money together, this is why Mick has a relationship with Keith. Its irrelevant that Keith earns the same money. That's not the point i am making. Keith seems to see or hopes for more from his relationship with Mick than just a business. This is part of Keith's romantic notion of life in general explained in my post.

I'm sorry but i went to a lot of trouble in my post to explain things about Keith the way i see it and you are trying to turn it into a Mick against Keith post.
Not happy about that. I'M OFF FOR GOOD THIS TIME. That is an insult to a thoughtful post.

Nooo! Hell no.

No worries , i was just throwing my toys out the pram again lol.

Every so often Witness hits on a nerve but she has a point i guess.

Date: October 8, 2017 16:26

thumbs up
retired_dog
stone4ever
powerage78

One bird does not make a summer... Being "at his peak as a performer" is a strong claim, possibly from a younger fan who's not listening to recordings from his real peak all too much. The band as a whole still has strong moments, but speaking of a peak is a superlative that's just not justified considering the whole picture.

Date: October 8, 2017 16:32

DandelionPowderman
Watch SFM from Amsterdam and say that again, Riffie smoking smiley

Just found this better recording of it.

OMG this just blew my mind, how can Keith and Ronnie just raise their game like that.

This just made me so high. This ain't faking it, this is the real deal.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 8, 2017 16:56

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

OMG this just blew my mind, how can Keith and Ronnie just raise their game like that.

[www.youtube.com]

There's are several examples of this, but not on SFTD, IORR or TD.

Date: October 8, 2017 16:59

stone4ever
Redhotcarpet
His sound is great on this tour. I love it.

I still say he seems detached, not always, but a bit too late, as if he occasionally has to remind himself of what to play. Insecure maybe. Like he's revisiting songs he doesnt feel connected to anymore. Maybe he moved on.

Very profound words, and very true i think.

It's my view that keith in his heart, has moved on from this music, and it shows.

It leaves him visibly and emotionally stuck between a rock and a hard place, up there on stage with the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

He can't put it down can he, but you feel its time.

Thank you, I seldom contribute anything thought-provoking on iorr. Interesting thread and very good posts from you and others here. thumbs upsmiling smiley

Date: October 8, 2017 17:17

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

There's are several examples of this, but not on SFTD, IORR or TD.

His last attempt at SFTD in Copenhagen wasn't too bad.

[www.youtube.com]

Love the way he kicks it off by sneaking up on Mick and blasting his intro.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 8, 2017 17:40

There are only 6 shows left.

Date: October 8, 2017 17:58

35love

Correct

Date: October 8, 2017 18:27

Redhotcarpet
stone4ever
Redhotcarpet
His sound is great on this tour. I love it.

I still say he seems detached, not always, but a bit too late, as if he occasionally has to remind himself of what to play. Insecure maybe. Like he's revisiting songs he doesnt feel connected to anymore. Maybe he moved on.

Very profound words, and very true i think.

It's my view that keith in his heart, has moved on from this music, and it shows.

It leaves him visibly and emotionally stuck between a rock and a hard place, up there on stage with the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

He can't put it down can he, but you feel its time.

Thank you, I seldom contribute anything thought-provoking on iorr. Interesting thread and very good posts from you and others here. thumbs upsmiling smiley

Thank you too, i like that you think outside the box, like powerage78.

Powerage says in one sentence what doxa can't say in an essay lol

Date: October 8, 2017 20:53

But where's Doxa?!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2017 21:02

stone4ever
Hairball
While the Stereophonics are (or were) a pretty good band, I have to say that cover sounds a bit hokey - almost like a new country rockin' style version...yeehaw.

Here's a decent cover of the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping played by Kelly Jones and Noel Gallagher (and other members of Oasis and Stereophonics?) from about 10 years ago (?)at a John Lennon Memorial concert.

Noel Gallagher & Kelly Jones - I'm Only Sleeping

Ronnie Wood makes a very brief cameo at a table filled with booze and mouthing the words to the tune, with Jo Wood looking on smiling...

That sent me to sleep.

Ronnie in the drinking days, he looks so happy.

Lol ...good...seemed you needed a little nap after exclaiming "I'M OFF FOR GOOD THIS TIME"...sad smiley

But yeah that cover is quite drab, though I think it captures a certain vibe better than the Stereophonics' obnoxious cover of Gimme Shelter, and it was fun to see Ronnie clowning around with Jo still in the picture!

Glad you didn't leave again stone4ever...you are a major asset here on IORR! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 21:03 by Hairball.

Date: October 8, 2017 21:10

stone4ever
35love

Correct

eye popping smiley

Looking forward to tomorrow's show via fb/periscope, along with all reports and pics.
Hoping that Keith has hit his stride at 100% full force!!!

And then looking forward to the official announcement of UK dates, new album updates, etc.,...still lots happening as the Stones continue to roll! thumbs up

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 8, 2017 21:11

I think all the opinions,arguments and points of view are rather expended. Now we are recycling them... But the thread is popular. Almost 62,000 views and 45 pages. I suppose we'll reach 145 pages, talking about the same issue, until UK gigs 2018 starts...

Date: October 8, 2017 21:35

Mostly true laertisflash regarding opinions,arguments and points, but it's kind of on a show to show basis where thoughts can change from one show to the next depending on how Keith plays. There's been a bit of fluctuation and inconsistencies - some highs and some lows - just as their always is. There used to be a time when Ronnie would have his own thread discussing his abilities (or lack thereof), but since he's cleaned up his act all the focus seems to be on Keith. Here's to hoping Keith's been getting some well deserved rest for tomorrows show, and maybe he'll have practiced a little bit as well. thumbs up

Date: October 8, 2017 22:16

Thank you Hairball. Thanks for your kind words.

laertisflash

I think all the opinions,arguments and points of view are rather expended. Now we are recycling them... But the thread is popular. Almost 62,000 views and 45 pages. I suppose we'll reach 145 pages, talking about the same issue, until UK gigs 2018 starts...

I think this has turned into a positive thread on Keith's abilities as a player.

The author of the thread probably didn't expect this imho, it certainly was not the intention, remembering its initial title that was kindly changed by BV i suspect.

To some extent Keith has silenced the critics, there was talk that Keith was drunk etc, but on closer inspection i think the only thing Keith has been guilty of is lack of practice prior to the first show.

I think most of us can clearly see, being of rational mind and playing with a full deck of cards, that Keith is doing all he can with what he has available to him concerning his arthritis .
I can understand why some concertgoer's, who attended the first couple of shows, might feel hard done by when they compare Keith's performances since and including Zurich, because those initial shows were now seen as rehearsals for Keith. I don't know that this is entirely Keith's fault, he clearly needs more practice with the band than he was perhaps permitted.
(Just speculating of course on the above thoughts, don't want to trigger Witness again.) Keith can practice at home until the cow's come home, but it will not help his timing or prepare him for the change in tempos that we have heard on songs he has struggled with. It's really coming together now things are speeding up a bit.

At the end of the day, i have learned a lot about Keith and how he has adapted his playing from this thread more than any other, it also show's that there are not many Keith bashers who regularly post on Iorr. I think the discussions have been really honest and heartfelt. Keith seem's to be getting the respect he deserves.

It could also be that Keith cauld not deal with the unexpected cold conditions throughout Europe this September.
Lets hop the UK show's next year will be a bit earlier in the Summer for Keith.

All in all Keith has had his moments, and the rest of the band have been playing really well imho.

Lets hope Keith gives us even less to complain about between now and the last Paris date.

Date: October 8, 2017 22:39

It's as simple as he is having some trouble on the first couple of songs on each show. The same thing happens on a couple of numbers towards the end. The rest of his playing is great.

This is what I have observed anyway.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4041424344454647484950...LastNext
Current Page: 45 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1750
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home