Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:41

Hair guitar ? grinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:45

These performances are a cacophony; they are weak,mistake riddled and uninspiring noise. Outrageous ticket prices, poor performances. Set lists are a bit more interesting but what good is that when the music sounds like shit?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:56

I love the bandana, looks great, nice Jamaican colors too.

Date: October 4, 2017 22:00

steverogan
These performances are a cacophony; they are weak,mistake riddled and uninspiring noise. Outrageous ticket prices, poor performances. Set lists are a bit more interesting but what good is that when the music sounds like shit?

Which performances?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 22:39

DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?
Just go to YouTube and type in "Rolling Stones 2017 European tour"

Sorry...couldn't resist smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2017 23:19

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?

He he grinning smiley

I typed Slipping Away, Play With Fire, Mr. D, UMT and Heartbreaker, btw. All pretty good from our man, I'd say winking smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 4, 2017 23:26

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?

He he grinning smiley

I typed Slipping Away, Play With Fire, Mr. D, UMT and Heartbreaker, btw. All pretty good from our man, I'd say winking smiley

Yes indeed - you´re talking bout Ronnie Wood, right? smoking smiley

Date: October 4, 2017 23:27

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?

He he grinning smiley

That's would almost be OT in this thread, wouldn't it? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-04 23:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 4, 2017 23:56

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?

He he grinning smiley

That's would almost be OT in this thread, wouldn't it? winking smiley

Ronnie was doing so well, but last night he caught the attention of this thread for some reason winking smiley Possibly my fault , i noticed Tumbling Dice take a tumble, or as another poster put it, Ronnie tried out something new.confused smiley

Its not how you start its how you finish, and you are only as good as your last show. Damn life is hard winking smiley

Date: October 5, 2017 02:21

DandelionPowderman
steverogan

Which performances?

Most any of the ones I have seen on YT. I will say they sound better in recent shows but still not good. Not for the $$ tix cost.Terrible. I have been a fnasince the 70's; seen them many times. No more. Terrible product.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 5, 2017 03:38

Check out the Sympathy pit recording on the Copenhagen thread, last page or next to last page.

I think it sounds powerful and really good. I've seen them live too starting in 1972 and I like them now as well.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 5, 2017 08:37

steverogan, you're completely wrong IMO. I attended one show (Barcelona) and it was excellent and absolutely powerful.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2017 09:13

jlowe
I think its another urban myth that Keith cuts his own hair.
Yes it looks unruly but no doubt he has the xpensive cuts that only a man of wealth and taste can afford.

Valid observation - maybe we should have a separate thread for Keith's hair and his fashion choices. winking smiley

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 5, 2017 10:16

steverogan

Wrong. This cannot be judged from crappy YT clips.

Date: October 5, 2017 15:43

MartinB
steverogan

I disagree
I can hear when notes are misplayed, tempo is down, and the solos are screwed up.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 5, 2017 15:57

steverogan
These performances are a cacophony; they are weak,mistake riddled and uninspiring noise.

Man you should move past the 1st three shows of the tour and get a taste of Amsterdam or Copenhagen... you might have to correct your judgement.
Just a suggestion.

Date: October 5, 2017 16:31

dcba
steverogan
These performances are a cacophony; they are weak,mistake riddled and uninspiring noise.

Man you should move past the 1st three shows of the tour and get a taste of Amsterdam or Copenhagen... you might have to correct your judgement.
Just a suggestion.
I've heard lots of good AND bad playing from both Keith and Ronnie on this tour so far. It's definitely a roller coaster.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 5, 2017 16:34

keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.
I've heard lots of good AND bad playing from both Keith and Ronnie on this tour so far. It's definitely a roller coaster.

thumbs up That's the truth of it. I think we see eye to eye on this keefriff99.

Anything suggesting they are fantastic or terrible is not being honest.
They have their moments.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 5, 2017 17:00

The thing is it's always been a roller coaster with Keith - I remember Pete Townsend saying that it was compelling watching the stones and wondering if Keith was going to be "On" or incapable - it's for different reasons now but the tension and the anticipation remains and keeps us all glued to our armchairs/ screens or jumping about in front of the stage.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: October 5, 2017 17:06

stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

Definitely agree about the inconsistency. Songs like SFTD and IORR are often terrible now but then we have the fantastic performances of SFM and some other songs to make up for it. I would say most shows on this tour deserve a 7/10 rating, while back in 2003 most shows deserved a 9 or 10/10 rating. It's really an age related decline even though some of Keith's mistakes are hard to defend.

Nobody can seriously expect the Stones to fire on all cylinders these days.

Date: October 5, 2017 17:38

TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

Definitely agree about the inconsistency. Songs like SFTD and IORR are often terrible now but then we have the fantastic performances of SFM and some other songs to make up for it. I would say most shows on this tour deserve a 7/10 rating, while back in 2003 most shows deserved a 9 or 10/10 rating. It's really an age related decline even though some of Keith's mistakes are hard to defend.

"Moments"? At the price of tickets, VIP experiences and of course the $25,000 Meet and Greet offer they need to give more consistent,better performances. I have recently seen the Moody Blues, Roger Waters, David Gilmour (last year) Lindsey Buckingham, he Who, and Bruce Springsteen.All put on great shows. Some minor mistakes but nothing as poor as these performances. Hey, I get it. We want to create new memories based on our love for a band. We go partly to relive our youth and gather with friends to escape for a few hours. Maybe the performance is less important than the fact the Stones are still playing. But they have a lot of balls charging what they do for sub par performances. ANd these performances overall suck

Date: October 5, 2017 17:44

steverogan
TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

"Moments"? At the price of tickets, VIP experiences and of course the $25,000 Meet and Greet offer they need to give more consistent,better performances. I have recently seen the Moody Blues, Roger Waters, David Gilmour (last year) Lindsey Buckingham, he Who, and Bruce Springsteen.All put on great shows. Some minor mistakes but nothing as poor as these performances. Hey, I get it. We want to create new memories based on our love for a band. We go partly to relive our youth and gather with friends to escape for a few hours. Maybe the performance is less important than the fact the Stones are still playing. But they have a lot of balls charging what they do for sub par performances. ANd these performances overall suck
I think at this point, if we're all being honest, we're largely willing to pay just to be in their physical presence for a few hours. Nothing wrong with that...it's truly a thrill to see icons like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in the flesh in front of your eyes. It's kind of weird when you think about it, but that's the truth.

We're hearing (very) rough approximations of classic songs we all love, but the real thrill is seeing them all together again.

Date: October 5, 2017 17:49

keefriff99
steverogan
TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

I think at this point, if we're all being honest, we're largely willing to pay just to be in their physical presence for a few hours. Nothing wrong with that...it's truly a thrill to see icons like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in the flesh in front of your eyes. It's kind of weird when you think about it, but that's the truth.

We're hearing (very) rough approximations of classic songs we all love, but the real thrill is seeing them all together again.

I think that is an accurate representation of the Stones fan now. Well said

Date: October 5, 2017 18:25

steverogan
TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

I've said very similar things in the past (except for seeing Springsteen lol), but in the midst of a tour where people are still having fun after shelling out their money, traveling, etc., I try to back off with the criticism regarding ticket prices as it begins to sound like a broken record, and continual moaning isn't very pleasant to read. But for me, I think it's odd that prices continue to increase while the quality of their performance continues to decrease. That said, some people are still ready and willing to do whatever it takes to see them so who am I to say? What might feel like a joke to some of us, others might think that it's still a bargain and/or worth ever penny, and I don't want to tell people how to spend their money.

As far as "moments"....yes they have their moments. Some can be considered good moments, while others could be considered senior moments, ie a temporary mental lapse. I love the Stones and still enjoy reading all the updates and experiencing the shows virtually in the show thread with others here, so can't really complain about prices when it's free. And while it might not be the same as being their in person experiencing the sensory overload, camaraderie, etc., it's really all I want or need from them at this point. And while they're no longer as cutting edge and their skills aren't as sharp as they once were, one thing certain we could probably all agree on - it's admirable that they're still out there doing what they do at this old age, and while it might not be always up to snuff for some us, the fact that they're still rolling in any capacity is somewhat miraculous.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 5, 2017 18:41

The talk of Keith letting Ronnie do the solos - Keith is going down with his guitar - When was the last time he gave up a solo live that he always performed? - Way back when MT did the solo I think on Carol on the 72/73 tour.

Keith's solo on SFTD for me now is sad - if he would just play it in the right key
is all I ask. But Keith never really replicated his solo from YA YAS all these years.

Date: October 5, 2017 18:54

steverogan
keefriff99
steverogan
TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
keefriff99
dcba
steverogan

Just a suggestion.

They have their moments.

I think that is an accurate representation of the Stones fan now. Well said

You make a lot of very good points hairball.Thanks for sharing.

Date: October 5, 2017 19:05

steverogan
You make a lot of very good points hairball.Thanks for sharing.

thumbs up

Keep in mind I was only referring to complaining about ticket prices - it's still open season for everything else! smiling smiley
Setlists and performance level will always be under scrutiny, just as they always have. Each show has something new to discuss - the good, the bad, and the ugly, and that's what we're here for - to discuss and share opinions.
But even then there's a certain line that I try not to cross...after all, you can only say Keith screwed up the Sympathy solo so many times before it becomes redundant, and by now it shouldn't even be a surprise to anyone that he mangles it more often than not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 19:06 by Hairball.

Date: October 5, 2017 19:45

My ticket for Amsterdam was cheaper than Oslo 2014. Both were GA.

I don't think Hamburg Silver Pit was significantly more expensive than my Roskilde 2014 GA-ticket, either.

I guess I must have been lucky, or...

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: October 5, 2017 19:48

MartinB
steverogan

Fully agree. I know it's hard for fans on the other side of the atlantic to get a good idea of what they sound now, but once the DVD is out, you'll get a good picture. THEY ROCKED.

Date: October 5, 2017 20:03

DandelionPowderman
My ticket for Amsterdam was cheaper than Oslo 2014. Both were GA.

I don't think Hamburg Silver Pit was significantly more expensive than my Roskilde 2014 GA-ticket, either.

I guess I must have been lucky, or...

To be clear I'm not fully aware of the pricing situation for the Europe shows over the last couple of tours, but know it's always a better deal than the States.
Even though I've read a few minor complaints for the current tour, I suppose I was referring specifically back to the US shows, where each tour the prices become more and more unrealistic than the last.
Vegas for example - $850+ US dollar for face value for the entire floor and most, if not all, of the lower loge. The tour prior to that peaked at around $500-$600 for similar seats. And VIP's were way beyond my comprehension, so have no comment on that. So let me revise that previous statement - if I was in Europe right now I might choose to see the Stones at a reasonable price, but if and when they ever come back to the States with similar price of the last tours, I'll choose to sit it out (unless I get a Lucky Dip or cheapie on stubhub the day of show).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home