Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: raphph ()
Date: September 28, 2017 13:53

stone4ever
Eleanor Rigby
powerage78
Rocks Off, Mick reaction eye popping smiley

[www.youtube.com]

This is a classic.
Its as if Mick is thinking "bloody hell another stuffed up intro?"
Cmon Keith...LIFT !!!

As said on the Barcelona thread, it wasn't another stuffed up solo from Keith.
Keith started Rocks Off and completely cut Mick off as he was looking towards the screen to announce the song vote. Naughty Keith eye rolling smiley

Keith cut him off so badly Mick didn't even have the screens up!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 28, 2017 14:28

Socrates1
Totally disagree with you, erad. So long suckers! Until tomorrow..

The suckers are people like you who wont accept the truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 14:31 by Eleanor Rigby.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 28, 2017 14:37

Eleanor Rigby
Socrates1
Totally disagree with you, erad. So long suckers! Until tomorrow..

The suckers are you who wont accept the truth.

I think the truth is somewhere between DP and Socrates view of the Stones and people like yourself.

Its not as good or bad as you are all saying. It's somewhere in the middle.

It should be acknowledged that Keith has good shows and bad shows, and even within those bad performances he still has moments of magic.

He can on occasion , really disappoint us, and as fan's i think we get upset by his poor playing and timing.

The valid point DP makes for me, is that even when he makes mistakes it doesn't detract from people enjoying the overall experience of seeing them live.
That was true of last night, even though Keith was disappointing, they still Rocked better than most other bands out there today.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 14:45

Who let the Beatles fan in here? Joking! Same with the "suckers"-thing, just 'avin a larf...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 21:42 by Socrates1.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 28, 2017 16:05

I enjoy and I do appreciate it all a lot. Bless you Stones ... That we're favoured by witnessing all this ...

d.f

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 28, 2017 16:20

I just watched SFM. Keith played it great but he looks very detached. I wonder if he is ill?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 28, 2017 16:58

beachbreak
I just watched SFM. Keith played it great but he looks very detached. I wonder if he is ill?

Watched it just now, too.
He's ill in the sense that he has those health issues that must affect him day to day, or even minute to minute.
Does look like he is concentrating very intently on playing clean, which I find touching.
At the very start you can see Mick doing that thing he is doing on this tour of watching Keith with concern at the start of ever song. Either worried he's going to go off the rails or maybe just concentrating on his cue to start singing.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 17:54

Got my idea.
I think about a musician I love we will never see again on stage.
I do not want to be defaming, then... silence.
But yes, I think it's that.
At what stage ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 28, 2017 18:00

powerage78
Got my idea.
At what stage ?

So how come he is quicker than you and me in interviews?

Date: September 28, 2017 18:03

Just my opinion.
You're certainly right.

Date: September 28, 2017 18:09

What is his most recent TV interview DP ?

Date: September 28, 2017 18:35

Talking of interviews, this is a rare one in the sense that we got Mick and Keith very relaxed in each others company in 2002.

The interviewer says to them at the end, how will you know when its not time to do this anymore, Keith looks down and says when we see the hearse drive up.

I think the Stones will carry on too long, this seems to be their fate.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 28, 2017 19:02

This clip of SFM reminds me so much of looking at Keith on stage during 2007.
His movements are slow.
First clip last night and underneath Keith in 07'

SFM Keith up close 2017
[www.youtube.com]

And again in 2007
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 28, 2017 19:33

Not trying to detract from the ongoing Death Watch festivities that this tour has become for many of us, but here's a better "Rocks Off" clip from Barcelona. Stay with it and you'll see that while Mick was understandably pissed at the start; by about 55 seconds in, he and Keith and Ronnie seem to be laughing about it. It probably was an accident. Like actors in a play, musicians hit their paces as best they can when there's a missed cue. It's also a pretty good version as well. Not bad considering the rumors of Keith's imminent collapse as a performer.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2017 19:39

erad
DandelionPowderman
It's fair enough that people don't like the solos. What I don't get is how important the solos on SFTD, HTW or GS are for some of you.

Some of the best songs in the world and you let a little sour cream in the icing on the cake destroy the experience for you?

I'll never understand that, and I'm a guitarist as well.

The man doesn't just routinely screw up solos. He consistently is unable to play any kind of steady rhythm, flubs intros to songs he has played thousands of time and is off time.

There are still flickers of the Keith of old but the guy is past it.

Agree erad, and it's damn sad to witness, although it's great to see Keith anywhere I suppose - long live Keith! thumbs up
As for the importance of solos, when you have an iconic song like Sympathy that has one of the greatest guitar solos know to man on the studio version, when it's screwed up so badly live of course it's going to taint the entire song. This is nothing new though as he's been screwing it up for decades, but some of these latest versions are beyond comprehension. It's like adding a goofy mustache on the face of the Mona Lisa...the entire painting is sort of messed up and the moustach is hard to overlook. As for Gimme Shelter, it's not just the solo he screws up (which is a fairly simple solo I might add), but it's the screwed up intro. that really takes away from the overall vibe. Insert a clip of Bugs Bunny at the beginning of The Godfather and tell me if that doesn't sort ruin the vibe. As for any screw ups on HTW, I've never really had a problem with any live version as far as I can recall (I'm sure there's some really bad ones out there)...but it's more of a ramshackle tune to begin with - in other words no amount of mistakes can make it sound truly horrible.

Date: September 28, 2017 19:46

Everything is fine so.
Can't wait the 2025 Tour !!!!!

Rocky Dijon
Not trying to detract from the ongoing Death Watch festivities that this tour has become for many of us, but here's a better "Rocks Off" clip from Barcelona. Stay with it and you'll see that while Mick was understandably pissed at the start; by about 55 seconds in, he and Keith and Ronnie seem to be laughing about it. It probably was an accident. Like actors in a play, musicians hit their paces as best they can when there's a missed cue. It's also a pretty good version as well. Not bad considering the rumors of Keith's imminent collapse as a performer.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 28, 2017 19:50

Bjorn
To be in denial...is not very sexy...and it doesn´t impress me...My last Stones show was in Stockholm 2003...because I thought THAT was bad...

Yes there's seems a lot of denial these days, but there's also some who seem to genuinely like what they're hearing - can't really criticize them for that.

As for your last show in Stockholm in '03, I was at all of them and none of them were really that bad to me IMO, but your decision is commendable. That tour was the last of the truly great ones mainly due to the variety of venues (stadium,arena, theater/clubs) and the variety of setlists. Skipping forward to the 50 and Counting, the addition of Mick Taylor made it very worthwhile, but overall the shows were somewhat sterile and static...except when MT was on stage of course. You might have enjoyed those three or four songs he played on!

Date: September 28, 2017 19:53

powerage78
Everything is fine so.
Can't wait the 2025 Tour !!!!!

Rocky Dijon

[www.youtube.com]

Agree powerage78, i get a whiff of BS in the air.

Keith either did it on purpose, or something is very wrong for him to forget the song vote.

Hairball. As for Sympathy solo.
Not only is it hideous, its so short i can't believe it, this was Keith Sympathy solo not so long ago,
Whoops got it now.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 19:57 by stone4ever.

Date: September 28, 2017 19:58

stone4ever
Not only is it hideous, its so short i can't believe it, this was Keith Sympathy solo not so long ago
[www.youtube.com]

That was a link to Keith standing for nearly two minutes alone on stage basking in the love (plus the beginning of Happy).
Was this his greatest moment on stage in Barcelona?

Date: September 28, 2017 20:07

Hairball
stone4ever
Not only is it hideous, its so short i can't believe it, this was Keith Sympathy solo not so long ago
[www.youtube.com]

That was a link to Keith standing for nearly two minutes alone on stage basking in the love (plus the beginning of Happy).

Sorry hairball i have corrected it.
This clip is the difference to night and day, how the Stones performed Sympathy here to now. Mick is also so much better than today, miles apart.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 20:08 by stone4ever.

Date: September 28, 2017 20:12

<Yes there's seems a lot of denial these days>

The prerequisite for that to be true is that you are right and that the fans at the shows don't really enjoy what they see and hear.

I reckon you can see how arrogant that appears?

Date: September 28, 2017 20:17

stone4ever
Hairball
stone4ever
[www.youtube.com]

Sorry hairball i have corrected it.
This clip is the difference to night and day, how the Stones performed Sympathy here to now. Mick is also so much better than today, miles apart.
[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.thumbs up

Fantastic energy by the entire band. What a difference eleven years can make...while Keith's solo is far from perfect at Zilker Park 2006,
it's mucho better than what we see and hear today during No Filter...it all seems in slow motion now...the entire band...they really should move it out of the opening slot.

Date: September 28, 2017 20:19

DandelionPowderman

The prerequisite for that to be true is that you are right and that the fans at the shows don't really enjoy what they see and hear.

Of course the show is still enjoyable, its the Rolling Stones winking smiley

No need to defend them DP , they are still putting on a great show.

Its just that its hard not to notice the gradual decline, you yourself have a theory that Keith might be loosing his hearing, plus to be honest i am a bit concerned for Keith in general.

Not just his playing deteriorating, but his appearance, he doesn't seem to be as present as he was last time out in Vegas, he seems detached.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 28, 2017 20:30

stone4ever
[www.youtube.com]

I see just as big of a decline between this SFTD from 2003: video: [www.youtube.com] and the 2006 version you posted. In just 3 years Keith's playing became slower and less precise, and Mick's singing became more nasal. Actually I was shocked how bad the ''Biggest Bang'' dvd-set was when it came out compared to the excellent ''Fours Flicks''.

Date: September 28, 2017 20:32

DandelionPowderman
<Yes there's seems a lot of denial these days>

I was replying to Bjorns post, but you seemed to have overlooked all that.

You can pick at and edit my posts as you see fit, but I did say "there seems to be" which means that it's not stated as a fact - it's just an impression one gets.
And I followed that with "but there's also some who seem to genuinely like what they're hearing - can't really criticize them for that"....so what's your problem?
By zeroing in on one sentence, you've taken it all out of context, but if that's what you want to focus on then so be it.
And to be clear, I wasn't referring only to people at the shows who I'm sure there are many who enjoy what they're experiencing after investing so much time, money, etc.,
but also some of the people in this thread who weren't there.

The only arrogance I see around here is from someone whose constantly correcting others regarding their opinions about what they like or don't like.

edit: But never mind all that Dandelion - don't want to get in to a personal piss match with you. Enjoy the tour and whatever other shows you might be attending as I'm sure you will.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 20:45 by Hairball.

Date: September 28, 2017 20:36

TheBlockbuster
stone4ever
[www.youtube.com]

I see just as big of a decline between this SFTD from 2003: video: [www.youtube.com] and the 2006 version you posted. In just 3 years Keith's playing became slower and less precise, and Mick's singing became more nasal. Actually I was shocked how bad the ''Biggest Bang'' dvd-set was when it came out compared to the excellent ''Fours Flicks''.

Yes and then again an even bigger difference between 1990 and 2003.
Some of his Sympathy performances in 90' were off the chart.
1990 SFTD
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 28, 2017 20:45

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Got my idea.
At what stage ?

Exactly , DP you are so right Keef has one of the fastest working minds ever ,I am sure it also helps that he has been asked everything multiple times and has seen and heard it all before .

Date: September 28, 2017 20:51

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

You can pick at and edit my posts as you see fit, but I did say "there seems to be" which means that it's not stated as a fact - it's just an impression one gets.
And I followed that with "but there's also some who seem to genuinely like what they're hearing - can't really criticize them for that"....so what's your problem?
By zeroing in on one sentence, you've taken it all out of context, but if that's what you want to focus on then so be it.
And to be clear, I wasn't referring only to people at the shows who I'm sure there are many who enjoy what they're experiencing after investing so much time, money, etc.,

The only arrogance I see around here is from someone whose constantly correcting others regarding their opinions about what they like or don't like.

edit: But never mind all that Dandelion - don't want to get in to a personal piss match with you. Enjoy the tour and whatever other shows you might be attending as I'm sure you will.

You're hinting about people being in denial, no?

Date: September 28, 2017 20:54

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Got my idea.
At what stage ?

Exactly , DP you are so right Keef has one of the fastest working minds ever ,I am sure it also helps that he has been asked everything multiple times and has seen and heard it all before .

Yes i agree, nothing wrong with Keith's mind, as sharp as ever, as seen in his recent BBC documentary about London post WW11. Keith's memory and humour was astounding.

Date: September 28, 2017 21:09

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

You're hinting about people being in denial, no?

There's a a difference between saying someone is in actual denial vs. saying some of what's been posted leaves the impression of being in denial.
Yet for some reason you decided to pick out one sentence from a reply I made to Bjorn, taking it out of context, and then call me arrogant for it.

It seems there might be some who don't want to face the facts regarding the decline in Keith's playing.
Just an impression I'm getting when reading some of the comments from those who were there, as well as some who were not. When you read someone saying "better than ever" surely that's questionable.
Just as you would disagreee with someone who says it's the worst ever...you've spent the last couple of weeks constantly trying to prove them and their opinions wrong. So why the double standards all of the sudden?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2171
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home