Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:21

bitusa2012
MisterD

Equating the price paid, including airfare etc., with the performance is a non-starter for me in the overall critique of a Rolling Stones concert (or any music really). Sure, it's a factor to you personally, but it's a non-factor in an honest review of the performance.

Additionally, these are still The Rolling (*u#@ing) Stones!!
While they are showing signs of age etc., they put on an amazing performance despite it. A big part of the shows has always been the vibe, the spectacle, the camaraderie , the stage, the crowd, the.. etc. They still bring all that, and still some amazing performances despite the flaws.

I go to a show PRIMARILY for the music. The SHOW is a bonus. Keith's "contributions" to the No Filter shows, to date, are woeful.

Let me ask Keith-supporters, and I applaud those who can support him thru this period, I wish I could, IF Mick Jagger was forgetting lyrics, humming or whistling instead of singing, or just standing there smiling goofily,in other words, stuffing up completely, like Keith unfortunately IS, would you say the band was still giving a great show? Value for premium monies they charge?

Again with the bottom line of equating it to money spent. Not relevant. Nor is the hypothetical of Mick forgetting lyrics or Charlie falling off his stool.Keith isn't having as many troubles as you exaggerate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 06:22 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:25

bitusa2012
MisterD

Equating the price paid, including airfare etc., with the performance is a non-starter for me in the overall critique of a Rolling Stones concert (or any music really). Sure, it's a factor to you personally, but it's a non-factor in an honest review of the performance.

While they are showing signs of age etc., they put on an amazing performance despite it. A big part of the shows has always been the vibe, the spectacle, the camaraderie , the stage, the crowd, the.. etc. They still bring all that, and still some amazing performances despite the flaws.

I go to a show PRIMARILY for the music. The SHOW is a bonus. Keith's "contributions" to the No Filter shows, to date, are woeful.

Let me ask Keith-supporters, and I applaud those who can support him thru this period, I wish I could, IF Mick Jagger was forgetting lyrics, humming or whistling instead of singing, or just standing there smiling goofily,in other words, stuffing up completely, like Keith unfortunately IS, would you say the band was still giving a great show? Value for premium monies they charge?

Yes, of course I'd still have a great time. Rock'n' Roll, fun, the Rolling Stones
in 2017. I bitch about overpriced subpar healthcare, I never bitch about what I pay for something I love.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:35

Sympathy Barcelona sounds pretty good imo

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:37

MisterDDDD
Keith isn't having as many troubles as you exaggerate.

Nor as few as you dismiss

Rod

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:42

MisterDDDD

Again with the bottom line of equating it to money spent. Not relevant.

IF...IF...I pay for a Rolls Royce at their prices I would EXPECT a Rolls Royce, I would not expect to receive a VW - as good a car as they themselves are (I have one) - I would expect a Roller.

IF I again choose to drop over AUD$500 a ticket to ever see The Stones again I would, seeing as THEY set their price, a Rolls Royce of a show - including the musicianship - not a VW show, 'nice' as that may be.

Rod

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:51

Send It To me

I know it's hard for some people to look at this subject objectively, but come on man.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 28, 2017 06:59

Nonsense..

IF... IF... I get a Lucky Dip and they perform as subpar as you are as exaggerating, do I feel like I got my money's worth then? Of course not. The money thing is a PERSONAL issue.

IF... IF.... I inherit a zillion dollars and cost is no object, does top dollar entitle me to enjoy some flawless show while the cheap seats get no speakers or screens? Of course not.

The cost for me works out to relatively little when I break it down to cost per hour of enjoyment- planning,traveling,partying, the SHOW! etc. But again, the ticket prices is a separate issue not related to performance, imo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2017 07:32

bitusa2012
MisterDDDD

Again with the bottom line of equating it to money spent. Not relevant.

IF...IF...I pay for a Rolls Royce at their prices I would EXPECT a Rolls Royce, I would not expect to receive a VW - as good a car as they themselves are (I have one) - I would expect a Roller.

IF I again choose to drop over AUD$500 a ticket to ever see The Stones again I would, seeing as THEY set their price, a Rolls Royce of a show - including the musicianship - not a VW show, 'nice' as that may be.

Well said, but I suppose even the value of a Stones show could be subjective.
Some fans might actually think they're getting a ridiculously good deal just to be in the presence of the Stones no matter how much the outrageous price they pay, and maybe in their minds they are.
But then there's others who are a bit more frugal or maybe have different priorities when experiencing a Stones show. From a musical standpoint, spending $500+ to see them in their current state is simply not worth it imo. Yes it's a fun night out and the vibe is good, but for that amount of money I could think of alot of other things that would be more fulfilling. If I wanted to, I could afford to fly back and forth to every current show all the way from California, but I wouldn't even bother to travel over 100 miles anymore to see them. And even if I did, I certainly wouldn't pay anywhere near what they're asking...it's just not worth it imo. I've seen enough great Stones show in the past to see and hear the difference between then and now, and it's obviously nowhere near the same. But at the same time, if someone else really likes that vibe, the atmosphere, the camaraderie, etc., and don't really care about the quality of the music anymore (or just can't hear the obvious decline), and are willing to pay an arm and a leg for it, then more power to them....have fun and spend away. It's a personal choice, and there's no absolute right or wrong either way.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: September 28, 2017 07:35

bitusa2012

If you want to listen to great Stones music, it's been reality for a long time (at least back through the ABB tour 12 years ago), that you should listen to/watch much older performances. Keith's playing (and often Ronnie's too) during ABB, even early that tour (but especially after his fall) was poor; often a lot worse than when they returned for the London/NYC area 5 concerts at the end of 2012.

I'll be going to Paris for the concerts: the performances, the music, the spectacle, the fans, and the overall experience, including the reunion experience to see my favorite band (since 1965) in person again, along with many friends I've met over the years at Stones concerts. I'm not going primarily for the music and I doubt hardly anyone else there will be going primarily for the music. I'm not saying you are wrong (everyone has their own reasons for going and it's clear Keith's playing is not that good), but I am saying the vast majority are going for the overall concert experience. And regarding that, I expect to have three more great experiences thanks to the Rolling Stones and their fans. I haven't seen them since Desert Trip and Las Vegas last year, but I'm thinking they will still put on a great show, even if Keith isn't playing well. It's disappointing about Keith, but understandable. They can still put on an outstanding live show, with only one of the two guitar players playing well. At least Keith can still play and he still has great stage presence.

So I certainly won't be upset by Keith's playing, I'll be happy to see him again. Perhaps afterward, I'll be sad too, about his condition, but overall very happy for another chance to see him again, BTW, I know Keith's declining, but he's been screwing up things for a very long time - and I've been enjoying those live screw ups too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 08:07 by IGTBA.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2017 07:42

Nice post IGTBA - have a great time at your upcoming Paris shows!!! thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 28, 2017 10:03

I look at it this way, I enjoyed last nights live links and the Stones still Rock. But i couldn't help but feel depressed about Keith s performance.

IF Keith was poor at playing every night because of age, arthritis and head bang, then he can be forgiven, as there is nothing he can do about it.

But IF Keith can play like he did in Zurich ( a very acceptable level of performance overall ) but doesn't turn up for other shows in that sort of shape or condition, then he can't be forgiven. Keith has three days to prepare for a show, he should have taken care of himself between show's and he should be energized.

The man is in denial. I think we are seeing a repeat of 07', most night's i don't think Keith want's to be playing for some reason.

It's not too late for him to snap out of it, but someone needs to have a word with him, someone he respects, someone very close to him, because i don't want the last ever shows the Stones play to leave me with a memory of sadness, pity or even frustration and embarrassment.

I consider myself one of Keith's most loyal fans, i just hope he is OK.
But on those giant close up screens last night Keith didn't look OK to me, and he didn't sound Ok.

Date: September 28, 2017 10:24

bitusa2012
MisterD

Mick WAS forgetting lyrics and humming on Miss You yesterday grinning smiley

Everybody I have talked to was happy with the show yesterday.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: September 28, 2017 11:23

As long as the overall sound and performance by the band is up to scratch, I don´t really care about the quality of Keith´s solos. I´m looking forward to see them in Stockholm.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 28, 2017 11:31

When reading this thread, the story "the emperor's new clothes" comes to mind.
IMHO.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 11:33

Send It To me

Guess what internet, I've returned, then I'm leaving again, and why is no one begging me to stay.. I thought the Barcelona solo was kind of a cool minimalistic sort of thing. Sounded good from the computer.

Date: September 28, 2017 11:36

MisterDDDD
Keith isn't having as many troubles as you exaggerate.

That's the way I feel about all this. And I also feel guilty for mentioning anything about his guitar playing or his amps or anything. We love you, Stones. The fans love you, we just have some things we want to talk about every once in a while. We can't help but notice these things on the internet.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-28 12:07 by Socrates1.

Date: September 28, 2017 12:10

It's fair enough that people don't like the solos. What I don't get is how important the solos on SFTD, HTW or GS are for some of you.

Some of the best songs in the world and you let a little sour cream in the icing on the cake destroy the experience for you?

I'll never understand that, and I'm a guitarist as well.

Date: September 28, 2017 12:12

The internet is great for exaggerations and obsessing.

Date: September 28, 2017 12:20

That's true smiling smiley

Date: September 28, 2017 12:22

Not to mention obsessing over exaggerations...

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:25

To be in denial...is not very sexy...and it doesn´t impress me...My last Stones show was in Stockholm 2003...because I thought THAT was bad...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:29

Rocks Off, Mick reaction eye popping smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:30

Socrates1
Send It To me

Guess what internet, I've returned, then I'm leaving again, and why is no one begging me to stay.. I thought the Barcelona solo was kind of a cool minimalistic sort of thing. Sounded good from the computer.

So glad you're back!!
Listen before you leave again, please come back again. !! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: September 28, 2017 12:38

No! I'm leaving, then I'm coming back, then I'm leaving again. And then I might come back and leave again. Btw where is Doxa?

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:44

DandelionPowderman
It's fair enough that people don't like the solos. What I don't get is how important the solos on SFTD, HTW or GS are for some of you.

Some of the best songs in the world and you let a little sour cream in the icing on the cake destroy the experience for you?

Yep, same. All about the tunes!

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 28, 2017 12:44

DandelionPowderman

The man doesn't just routinely screw up solos. He consistently is unable to play any kind of steady rhythm, flubs intros to songs he has played thousands of time and is off time.

There are still flickers of the Keith of old but the guy is past it.

Date: September 28, 2017 12:50

Totally disagree with you, erad. So long suckers! Until tomorrow..

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 28, 2017 13:22

powerage78

[www.youtube.com]

This is a classic.
Its as if Mick is thinking "bloody hell another stuffed up intro?"
Cmon Keith...LIFT !!!

Date: September 28, 2017 13:35

Eleanor Rigby
powerage78

[www.youtube.com]

This is a classic.
Its as if Mick is thinking "bloody hell another stuffed up intro?"
Cmon Keith...LIFT !!!

As said on the Barcelona thread, it wasn't another stuffed up solo from Keith.
Keith started Rocks Off and completely cut Mick off as he was looking towards the screen to announce the song vote. Naughty Keith eye rolling smiley

Date: September 28, 2017 13:50

MKjan
bitusa2012
MisterD

Yes, of course I'd still have a great time. Rock'n' Roll, fun, the Rolling Stones
in 2017. I bitch about overpriced subpar healthcare, I never bitch about what I pay for something I love.

I'm like that about food and good wine.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home