Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:31

LongBeachArena72
2120Wolf
TO ALL THE KEITH BASHING CRITICAL IDIOTS...
HERE'S HOPING THAT YOU ALL MAKE IT TO 73 !!!

At 62, I'd prefer another quarter-century ... but, hey, I guess any one of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow! (Especially if we had our heads down furiously typing IORR rants into our phones while crossing the street. It would be a drag were one's last earthly expression to be something along the lines of 'but, the YouTube vids prove otherwise!')

Yep...Live is completely different than You Tube Vids...(Not typed into a phone while crossing a street).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:38

DandelionPowderman
matxil
MelBelli
MonkeyMan2000
I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

He really did ... funny to hear it now, and on that song. I’ve always associated it with the live “Let Me Go,” probably because I heard it first in the Hal Ashby movie.

What lick are you all referring to?

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

Ah cool, thanks for posting, it's indeed a cool lick. I never noticed him playing it in other songs. I'll try to pay more attention.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 21, 2017 19:00

I think that now the jury is out on the issue of critiquing Keith's playing, or anyone's, on the basis of YouTube videos.

This thread and the Zurich concert thread both show that people can tell, just from the YouTube clips, whether Keith's playing has improved and he is having a really good night.

The next time someone complains about someone else complaining about someone's playing or the band overall based solely on having watched YouTube clips, I'm going to link this thread as well as the Zurich thread. smoking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 21, 2017 19:15

stonehearted
I think that now the jury is out on the issue of critiquing Keith's playing, or anyone's, on the basis of YouTube videos.

This thread and the Zurich concert thread both show that people can tell, just from the YouTube clips, whether Keith's playing has improved and he is having a really good night.

The next time someone complains about someone else complaining about someone's playing or the band overall based solely on having watched YouTube clips, I'm going to link this thread as well as the Zurich thread. smoking smiley

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 19:20

Ah ah good one. And funny.
Random and strategic use of YT according to the concert and the critical sense of each IORR member when it exists.

Seems YT videos are only a tool to glorify the Stones grinning smiley
Believed you had to attend the show to speak about it and playing. ^^

stonehearted

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 20:09 by powerage78.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2017 19:42

I think I remember him playing it in that backstage scene at Hampton, with George Thorogood. He was very fond it. Wonder where he copped it from, or who showed it to him.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 21, 2017 20:16

Been catching up on today's reaction and just want to make a few points.

Longbeach, i know it sounds hypercritical to say we can't judge the band by YouTube clips and then when they sound good, say yes we can make judgement from youtube clips.

Well come on mate, some youtube clips are of unlistenable and unwatchable quality and some almost capture the sound of being there, well not really but you know what i mean.

Also some clips are taken from positions where the band do sound poor, at a live gig the sound experience can be great or poor to the extreme, and can usually be determined just by where you are positioned. You know that as well as i.

So anyway LB the good news is, its official, we can judge by youtube clips but only when good quality is available, can't say fairer than that me old mate. winking smiley

One more point, listening to some trolls today, or Keith bashers as i like to call them. It looks to me like Keith is dammed if he does play and move well and dammed if he don't.

And oh yeah DP that is a fine lick from Keith on YCAGWYW Love it, didn't think he still had it in him. Are you satisfied Keith is not going deaf now, i thought he was responding well to questions in recent interviews, a sure sign he's hearing well, and lets be honest the Stones play LOUD, you would have to be very hard of hearing not to hear whats being played .And with Keith's 200 million in the bank, i'm sure he can afford a decent hearing aid.winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2017 20:41

TheGreek
Hairball
Worth every penny? That depends....

There are many diehards from the past who refuse to see them now for various reasons (the main one seems to be the decline of the performance), so doubt they would think it's worth ever penny.
I'm somewhere in between - while I would never pay the outrageous face value prices they're asking, I would see them again on my own terms by purchasing heavily discounted tickets in which case it might be worth every penny. Even that's not always a guarantee to be satisfied though, as the mini-Vegas show proved. Paid a fraction of face value, yet still felt a bit shortchanged - although Midnight Rambler was a pleasure to witness again.

If the Stones ever come back to California, I wouldn't hesitate to see them...I would just be patient and wait for the massive price drops.
Since when do they ever have a firesale on ticket prices ?

I should have been more clear on that - Stubhub (and other secondary/scalpers). All of the scalpers out to make a profit who think they've made a wise investment in "the greatest rock and roll band in the world", suddenly realize there are many who won't pay anywhere near their inflated asking price - let alone the outrageous face values prices to begin with. Panic sets in during the days leading up to the show, and the prices drop faster than you can say "Start Me Up". I'm not an expert on this (and perhaps someone who knows better will chime in), but sometimes for many bands, it seems alot of tickets being sold on the secondary maket are actually official tickets - placed their by the promoters and/or ticketmaster, etc. who are in cahoots with the secondary markets (stubhub, etc) to squeeze as much as possible as they can. Desert Trip was a prime example - when the firesales happened on stubhub, they actually had a temporary official rented room within the Hyatt (or Hilton?) hotel in the area where there were about a dozen stubhub employees there for you to pick up your tickets. In the days leading up to the weekend II, I paid $350 for a weekend pit pass which was originally priced at $1500! As for the final abbreviated Vegas Stones show where Mick was still sick, the day of the show I paid $250/each for a pair of floor tickets for my wife and I which were originally priced at $750 +fees each. Can't say this is a guarantee at every show in every market as it probably depends alot on supply and demand, but based on those two experiences above it's worth the wait - especially in an areas like Southern California and Vegas where there's so many concerts and shows that people can take it or leave it.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 21, 2017 20:43

MelBelli
I think I remember him playing it in that backstage scene at Hampton, with George Thorogood. He was very fond it. Wonder where he copped it from, or who showed it to him.

The great Scotty Moore.

sc uk

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 21, 2017 20:52

Youtube videos are great since you're not overwhelmed by the arena sound and the mistakes are really easy to hear

But a cellphone recording will never come close to the real concert or even a professionally mixed soundboard. A professionally mixed soundboard CAN actually almost reflect the sound of being there minus the ''wow factor'' which comes with loud sound levels from the big speakers and room acoustics.

However an amateur cellphone recording will make a subpar performance sound horrible and a great performance sound average. Yes an AMAZING performance will still sound great from a cellphone recording, but we don't see any ''amazing'' performances nowadays from the Stones.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 21, 2017 20:56

TheBlockbuster
Youtube videos are great since you're not overwhelmed by the arena sound and the mistakes are really easy to hear

And also the added distraction of the drunk as a skunk sixty year old lady dancing in front of the seat next to you who keeps stepping on your foot every ten or fifteen seconds without even bothering to notice.

Date: September 21, 2017 21:14

stonehearted
TheBlockbuster

And also the added distraction of the drunk as a skunk sixty year old lady dancing in front of the seat next to you who keeps stepping on your foot every ten or fifteen seconds without even bothering to notice.

Or in my case at Wembley 1990 the best day of my life nearly turned into the last day of my life when a Stoned guy who was deliberately pushing intro me pulled a Knife out. I shouted at him to stop pushing into me and he went very quiet, i had this feeling he was going to pull a knife, call it intuition, and as he did i leaned forward to watch him and i saw him take it out of his front pocket, i shouted out he's got a knife, and this tightly packed crowd cleared a huge space and i made my getaway. True Story. The irony of it was that i had waited for that special day all those years, waiting to see the Stones, and had i not had a weird feeling the guy was going to do that it could have been my last day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 21:18 by stone4ever.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 22:33

The first three concerts of this tour and the (better) concert in Zurich were very informative on this board.
Funny to read yesterday's seemingly invalid arguments become evident since.
But we'll see the next concert to know !

Damn, where are the detractors of Youtube ???

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 22:35 by powerage78.

Date: September 21, 2017 23:19

<Youtube videos are great since you're not overwhelmed by the arena sound and the mistakes are really easy to hear>

The good overall sound and how the band swings is ditto hard to get through a cellphone recording.

Of course you can hear mistakes and cool licks, but the punch you get in your gut in a concert will never be there.

Date: September 21, 2017 23:32

DandelionPowderman

The good overall sound and how the band swings is ditto hard to get through a cellphone recording.

Of course you can hear mistakes and cool licks, but the punch you get in your gut in a concert will never be there.

I concur with that, every VHS and DVD release of the Stones has Keith way way down in the mix. Imagine how great it would have been to hear Keith really loud when he was playing great pre 05'

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2017 00:07

straycatuk
MelBelli

The great Scotty Moore.

sc uk

Thank you

Date: September 22, 2017 00:08

powerage78
We CAN trust YT videos for Zurich gig ?
Just a question, cos' we couldn't for the 3 first ones... grinning smiley

Spot on

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2017 00:14

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

I concur with that, every VHS and DVD release of the Stones has Keith way way down in the mix. Imagine how great it would have been to hear Keith really loud when he was playing great pre 05'
Stone4ever we've had a little back and forth here before but that's just internet crap,truth is you're such a big Keith fan I wish you could've been with us in 75 leaning against a small barrier on Keith's side in front row.you could hear the guitar coming off his amp.dont let anyone tell you the stones weren't good in 75 -it fckng cranked.

Date: September 22, 2017 00:16

DandelionPowderman
matxil
MelBelli
MonkeyMan2000
I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

He really did ... funny to hear it now, and on that song. I’ve always associated it with the live “Let Me Go,” probably because I heard it first in the Hal Ashby movie.

What lick are you all referring to?

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2017 01:07

lem motlow
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

Stone4ever we've had a little back and forth here before but that's just internet crap,truth is you're such a big Keith fan I wish you could've been with us in 75 leaning against a small barrier on Keith's side in front row.you could hear the guitar coming off his amp.dont let anyone tell you the stones weren't good in 75 -it fckng cranked.

Wow Lem if i shut my eyes i can almost imagine it, it left an impression on you that can never be forgotten. I had a similar experience when i saw the Winos in a tiny club in London called The Town And Country Club. I don't know what happened to keith that night or what he was on but i never heard or seen him play anything like that before. I was right up front, i could almost reach him, his guitar sound and power went through the floorboards and straight into your body. It just sent shiver after shiver down my spine, i will never forget it, surreal.

Date: September 22, 2017 01:12

<his guitar sound and power went through the floorboards and straight into your body. It just sent shiver after shiver down my spine>

Do you get that feeling from cellphone recordings?

winking smiley

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 22, 2017 02:50

I listened to most of the periscope feed of the last show and there was a point early on when I thought, 'they are cooking tonight', and then they kept rolling and I really got into it and didn't stop, like I did the earlier feeds. It felt like they kept getting better.
When I listened to some of the tracks the next day on youtube, I didn't get the same feeling. I heard some flat spots.
But live, when a band is rolling, it seems like they keep picking up momentum and you get carried away, even past those flat spots. So I'll be a little more careful going forward about making judgements without listening to the entire show.

Date: September 22, 2017 03:57

wonderboy
I listened to most of the periscope feed of the last show and there was a point early on when I thought, 'they are cooking tonight', and then they kept rolling and I really got into it and didn't stop, like I did the earlier feeds. It felt like they kept getting better.
When I listened to some of the tracks the next day on youtube, I didn't get the same feeling. I heard some flat spots.
But live, when a band is rolling, it seems like they keep picking up momentum and you get carried away, even past those flat spots. So I'll be a little more careful going forward about making judgements without listening to the entire show.

Yes there's a difference between experiencing an entire show vs. listening to individual songs within the overall performance (whether in person, live feed video, or after the fact via youtube, etc), but that doesn't mean you cant make an educated observation regarding certain details/songs within the show. Like critiquing a particular scene in a movie (or a play), you don't have to watch the entire movie to comment on that scene - whether it's the worst scene or the best scene. And to break it down further, you can critique each individual actor within that scene. For example, one of the best scenes in the Godfather (and there are many) is when all of the mob bosses are gathered around the table hashing out their future plans (heroin distribution, etc.) and their differences.

Goes without saying Vito/Marlon Brando dominates the scene, and is one of the reasons he won an Academy Award. Of course it helps to put that in to context by watching the entire movie, but you you can still critique that scene on it's own merit and give a sound opinion on it.

And then there's the great scene where Vito is alone in his office playing a blues tune after the death of Sonny...

Unfortunately it was left on the cutting room floor, but was eventually included in the extras on the 25th anniversary directors cut DVD. winking smiley

(lol sorry got carried away)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 03:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 22, 2017 04:00

Guys, this is silliness. No, a video uploaded from a cell phone isn't the same as being there just like it isn't the same as a professionally edited multi-camera video of a concert. That said, it suffices to give you a general impression in order to form a reasonable opinion. Youtube videos told us Zurich saw Keith (and the rest of the band) in very good form for 2017 just as Youtube videos told us the earlier shows saw Keith struggling at least in several songs. Fans here said Keith played lousy some of the time before Zurich because he did. Health and age may make him hit and miss throughout or maybe he'll keep a reasonably high standard after a rough start. We'll see...and most of us will see on Youtube.

Date: September 22, 2017 04:07

Amen Rocky. thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 22, 2017 05:07

Same story each tour. Keith starts out Rusty and cavalier, Mick gets distant, Keith works harder, everyone is happy. Mick gets tired or catches cold, Keith saves the day. That's why it's a band, the best in the world.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 05:48

stone4ever
DandelionPowderman

I know. This is yet another example of that conspiratorial creep Jagger keeping his erstwhile buddy under his thumb while he directs the musical output of the band. You know what we need to do, don't you? FREE KEITH!

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 22, 2017 05:49

stone4ever

And oh yeah DP that is a fine lick from Keith on YCAGWYW Love it, didn't think he still had it in him. Are you satisfied Keith is not going deaf now, i thought he was responding well to questions in recent interviews, a sure sign he's hearing well, and lets be honest the Stones play LOUD, you would have to be very hard of hearing not to hear whats being played .And with Keith's 200 million in the bank, i'm sure he can afford a decent hearing aid.winking smiley

Townshend's hearing is shot and he still plays fine.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 06:04 by erad.

Date: September 22, 2017 05:50

stone4ever
Been catching up on today's reaction and just want to make a few points.

Longbeach, i know it sounds hypercritical to say we can't judge the band by YouTube clips and then when they sound good, say yes we can make judgement from youtube clips.

Well come on mate, some youtube clips are of unlistenable and unwatchable quality and some almost capture the sound of being there, well not really but you know what i mean.

Also some clips are taken from positions where the band do sound poor, at a live gig the sound experience can be great or poor to the extreme, and can usually be determined just by where you are positioned. You know that as well as i.

So anyway LB the good news is, its official, we can judge by youtube clips but only when good quality is available, can't say fairer than that me old mate. winking smiley

Understood. In future, I shall rely on your good judgement to let me know which videos can be used in critical discussions and which cannot.

Date: September 22, 2017 05:52

Rocky Dijon
Guys, this is silliness. No, a video uploaded from a cell phone isn't the same as being there just like it isn't the same as a professionally edited multi-camera video of a concert. That said, it suffices to give you a general impression in order to form a reasonable opinion. Youtube videos told us Zurich saw Keith (and the rest of the band) in very good form for 2017 just as Youtube videos told us the earlier shows saw Keith struggling at least in several songs. Fans here said Keith played lousy some of the time before Zurich because he did. Health and age may make him hit and miss throughout or maybe he'll keep a reasonably high standard after a rough start. We'll see...and most of us will see on Youtube.

This is exactly the kind of reasonable reporting that will be the death of this board. The death, I tell you!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1710
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home