Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:21

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Did he go anywhere? smiling smiley

I told you that 90 percent of his playing was great on the other shows. If 90 percent is great, sometimes it goes all the way to 100 percent as well thumbs up

Hahaha...
90% ???
You give KR way too much credit.
He was lucky to be physically playing for 50% of those first 2 shows...and half of that was nowhere!

We will agree he had a good night last night.
But he will fluctuate with each show.
Get ready for a drop...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:25

stone4ever
keefriff99
Now THAT'S more like it.

Those of us critiquing Keith's playing think we're somehow taking pleasure in it or "trolling"...couldn't be further from the truth, but if one of them is playing poorly, I'm not going to sugar-coat my critique.

Those above clips were rocking. Great to see them playing like that.

Well i'm pleased Keith put a smile on both our faces and even more pleased that he did it by show 4 and not show 10 or 12.

I know you wasn't trolling Keith, like me, you was probably disappointed in him, and lets face it Keith can do better when he gets his shit together, as we can see from last night.
But some people have used this thread to troll Keith and very few people came to his rescue or believed as i did that he would get better.

Credit where credit is due,and i feel great for Keith and the boys, but as Longbeach just suggested, this will no doubt be a rocky up and down ride with Keith, that goes without saying.

I thought Mick really raised his game last night, Charlie and Ronnie too.

This is going to be a roller coaster ride grinning smiley
Oh, I was air guitaring and rocking out on my couch to JJF last night...there's nothing like that song when it's played well live.

Date: September 21, 2017 15:25

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

I told you that 90 percent of his playing was great on the other shows. If 90 percent is great, sometimes it goes all the way to 100 percent as well thumbs up

Hahaha...
90% ???
He was lucky to be physically playing for 50% of those first 2 shows...and half of that was nowhere!

Get ready for a drop...

I take into account that he is 73 years old, knocked his head and has a heavy case of Heberden's nodes. Perhaps you forgot that? smiling smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:30

Keith certainly improved last night...once again, I'm only going on the YouTube clips, but he seemed more together. That said, he is still a million miles away from his better years, and let's face it, those chords are the easiest chords to play and he's been playing them for 40 years!

For me, Keith's playing was more about the timings and rhythm and for the most part he struggles with both these days, often missing the key nuances of a riff and letting Ronnie or Chuck fill the gaps. Nevertheless, it was good to see him playing last night, he's Keith Richards and has earned the right to be as he is, but let's not fool ourselves in terms of guitar playing it's pretty weak stuff these days, but it's not about him any more, it's about the performance and the band, the event, the getting together and while ever people want to see them live then fair enough....it looked like the crowd enjoyed it !

Date: September 21, 2017 15:38

His «better years» were not consistent either. He's really bad on the Marquee, for instance, did some really awkward 1969-shows. Some say he was out it in 1975. 1978 gets a lot of flak. And I haven't even mentioned the 1981 Philly-shows yet...

So, yes, Keith Richards is up and down, like Spanish Tony put it so nicely. The point is, on a good day – even today – he's a joy to listen to. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 15:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:42

DandelionPowderman
His «better years» were not consistent either. He's really bad on the Marquee, for instance, did some really awkward 1969-shows. Some say he was out it in 1975. 1978 gets a lot of flak. And I haven't even mentioned the 1981 Philly-shows yet...

So, yes, Keith Richards is up and down, like Spanish Tony put it so nicely. The point is, on a good day – even today – he's a joy to listen to. smiling smiley

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 21, 2017 15:45

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Hahaha...
90% ???

Get ready for a drop...

I take into account that he is 73 years old, knocked his head and has a heavy case of Heberden's nodes. Perhaps you forgot that? smiling smiley

Pleeeaase..yeah i appreciate he is old and has had his issues like being drugged up most of his life etc..but age shouldnt be an excuse when you are prepared to tour and gouge your "fans" for cash. You are fair game for criticism if you ask me.

If you are using age as an excuse for his demise then you should listen to Pete Townshend these days. Still pounds out great guitar..he might even be 95% great during his shows.

Date: September 21, 2017 15:49

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Hahaha...
90% ???

Get ready for a drop...

Pleeeaase..yeah i appreciate he is old and has had his issues like being drugged up most of his life etc..but age shouldnt be an excuse when you are prepared to tour and gouge your "fans" for cash. You are fair game for criticism if you ask me.

If you are using age as an excuse for his demise then you should listen to Pete Townshend these days. Still pounds out great guitar..he might even be 95% great during his shows.

In this context, age may be an explanation, not an excuse.

What I'm saying is that his demise is overblown. He always was an uneven guitarist, even on your favourite tour.

And people focuse way too much on solos and a few butchered notes, imo. Especially, at this stage in their career, it's the total experience that counts.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:11

Hairball
Worth every penny? That depends....

There are many diehards from the past who refuse to see them now for various reasons (the main one seems to be the decline of the performance), so doubt they would think it's worth ever penny.
I'm somewhere in between - while I would never pay the outrageous face value prices they're asking, I would see them again on my own terms by purchasing heavily discounted tickets in which case it might be worth every penny. Even that's not always a guarantee to be satisfied though, as the mini-Vegas show proved. Paid a fraction of face value, yet still felt a bit shortchanged - although Midnight Rambler was a pleasure to witness again.

If the Stones ever come back to California, I wouldn't hesitate to see them...I would just be patient and wait for the massive price drops.
Since when do they ever have a firesale on ticket prices ?

Date: September 21, 2017 16:14

I'm trying to temper my criticism and praise. While they sounded good last night, it wasn't transcendent. Last night was about the baseline competence I would expect from a band of the Stones' caliber...so it's not like they had an out-of-this-world show, but they simply sounded energetic and in a nice groovy sync, which is a welcome shift.

Date: September 21, 2017 16:23

keefriff99
I'm trying to temper my criticism and praise. While they sounded good last night, it wasn't transcendent. Last night was about the baseline competence I would expect from a band of the Stones' caliber...so it's not like they had an out-of-this-world show, but they simply sounded energetic and in a nice groovy sync, which is a welcome shift.

Did you get the impression of that not happening at all in Hamburg, Munich and Spielberg?

Well, it did. However, it's so easy to cherrypick the parts that didn't work so well, and focus on them. That leads to some overall consensus that the Stones didn't do good shows. That's simply not true.

Take songs like SFM, the B&L-songs and Gimmie Shelter from Hamburg. Those are still the best versions of those songs on this tour, imo. The same goes for Slipping Away.

That's why I'm messing about the overall experience of a show, but I guess people and fans are looking for different things. I totally respect that, though.

Date: September 21, 2017 16:26

I haven't watched full show videos...I don't have the time, but SFM, JJF and SFTD (just to name three examples) ALL sounded appreciably better last night than on previous nights.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:27

jumpingjackflash5
Has (still) anybody doubts about Keith's abilities ? smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

(yeah ... they are older ... they sometimes make mistakes ... but they still can do very, very well ...) -> so you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get exactly what you need :-)

One of the many wonderful things about this show is that it has finally driven a nail into the coffin of the canard that one cannot comment on the quality of playing in a YouTube video clip--I for one applaud that development!

Now, on to the links referenced above. I think I can identify all of the songs:

I believe the first one is "Street Fighting Man," correct? It seemed like "Honky Tonk Women" for most of it, but I suppose that Chuck felt he had to "drive" the band since Keith was largely asleep and only occasionally making a "strumming" motion on his guitar.

I'm almost positive the second one is "Jumping Jack Flash;" hey, this is easy! Although I never heard the signature "riff" played, I could pretty much tell by what was going on that they must have been doing that number.

The third one is pretty good and I assume it's from Blue & Dreadful because I don't know it. But are the band all playing the same song here? It's not entirely clear to me.

Other than that ... sounds great!

Date: September 21, 2017 16:32

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:37

MonkeyMan2000
I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

He really did ... funny to hear it now, and on that song. I’ve always associated it with the live “Let Me Go,” probably because I heard it first in the Hal Ashby movie.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:40

DandelionPowderman
The point is, on a good day – even today – he's a joy to listen to. smiling smiley

Yes he is, for sure.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: September 21, 2017 16:54

I've just watched some clips from Zurich. Keith play was very good. No @#$%& up, even Sympathy solo. It's really raw, loud as hell and good. He's almost 74 and he's doing allright. I hope he'll be as good as in Switzeland till the end of the tour. There are slight @#$%& up but i can live with it.
I'm glad Keith is back.
It's good to see him with Telecaster. Please copmare Dancing with mr D with Gibson and Tele. Now it's a much better sound.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 18:06 by thrak.

Date: September 21, 2017 17:01

We CAN trust YT videos for Zurich gig ?
Just a question, cos' we couldn't for the 3 first ones... grinning smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 17:02

thrak
I've just watched some clips from Zurich. Keith play was very good. No @#$%& up, even Sympathy solo. It's really raw, loud as hell and good. He's almost 74 and he's doing allright. I hope he'll be as good as in Switzeland till the end of the tour. There are slight @#$%& up but i can live with it.
I'm glad Keith is back.
It's good to see him with Telecaster. Please comare Dancing with mr D with Gibson and Tele. Now it's a much better sound.

I thought he used the Ted Newman Jones on Mr. D in 1973?

Photo by Mathijs

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:13

Isn't Mr D in standard tuning, DP?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:13

hopkins

k is doing these sprightly little clear jazz chords or something;
in danger of going to half-flamenco or after dinner band; the guys w suits and stuff...dunno wtf but it's really cool in it's way;

LOL.
Keith wants to take the band in a Spanish, jazzy, glasses clinking in the background direction, but Mick wants him to keep those warhorses rockin'. What can a poor boy do?
winking smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 17:14

powerage78

Yes, we can; life is good.

Date: September 21, 2017 17:17

z

Yes

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:18

MelBelli
MonkeyMan2000
I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

He really did ... funny to hear it now, and on that song. I’ve always associated it with the live “Let Me Go,” probably because I heard it first in the Hal Ashby movie.

What lick are you all referring to?

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:19

TO ALL THE KEITH BASHING CRITICAL IDIOTS...
HERE'S HOPING THAT YOU ALL MAKE IT TO 73 !!!

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 21, 2017 17:20

DandelionPowderman
z

Yes

Isn't the TNJ a 5 string? I thought he used it only for open G.

Date: September 21, 2017 17:23

matxil
MelBelli
MonkeyMan2000

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 21, 2017 17:25

And sun is shining smiling smiley

LongBeachArena72
powerage78

Yes, we can; life is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 17:26 by powerage78.

Date: September 21, 2017 17:27

2120Wolf
TO ALL THE KEITH BASHING CRITICAL IDIOTS...
HERE'S HOPING THAT YOU ALL MAKE IT TO 73 !!!

At 62, I'd prefer another quarter-century ... but, hey, I guess any one of us could get hit by a bus tomorrow! (Especially if we had our heads down furiously typing IORR rants into our phones while crossing the street. It would be a drag were one's last earthly expression to be something along the lines of 'but, the YouTube vids prove otherwise!')

Date: September 21, 2017 17:30

DandelionPowderman
matxil
MelBelli
MonkeyMan2000

This lick.

[www.youtube.com]

From yesterday:

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home