Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2017 08:19

Nice post as usual Hopkins. thumbs up

"k is doing these sprightly little clear jazz chords or something;
in danger of going to half-flamenco or after dinner band; the guys w suits and stuff...dunno wtf but it's really cool in it's way"

smiling smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 21, 2017 09:27

keefriff99
Now THAT'S more like it.

Those of us critiquing Keith's playing think we're somehow taking pleasure in it or "trolling"...couldn't be further from the truth, but if one of them is playing poorly, I'm not going to sugar-coat my critique.

Those above clips were rocking. Great to see them playing like that.

Well i'm pleased Keith put a smile on both our faces and even more pleased that he did it by show 4 and not show 10 or 12.

I know you wasn't trolling Keith, like me, you was probably disappointed in him, and lets face it Keith can do better when he gets his shit together, as we can see from last night.
But some people have used this thread to troll Keith and very few people came to his rescue or believed as i did that he would get better.

Credit where credit is due,and i feel great for Keith and the boys, but as Longbeach just suggested, this will no doubt be a rocky up and down ride with Keith, that goes without saying.

I thought Mick really raised his game last night, Charlie and Ronnie too.

This is going to be a roller coaster ride grinning smiley

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 09:31

In that brown sugar intro on Saturday nite maybe Keith is yelling at chuck, as Mick looks to chuck for song cues constantly, and perhaps Mick got a nod to start singing . In the past the band would follow Keith's cues. Now it's chuck they follow. I wouldn't be happy either

Date: September 21, 2017 09:37

stone4ever
In this clip below when Keith must be acknowledging the crowd and stops playing you hear the importance of Keith, because the sound of the band completely falls to bits without him playing, even for a few seconds. I don't think people realize how much rides on Keith's back musically.

Keith is the come back king, i expect him to improve and he already is improving here in Austria, he is moving more and clearly enjoying himself, but the other three ?? i don't know, it looks like Ronnie in particular has burned himself out already and its all downhill now. He isn't the same Ronnie as the first two show's.

[www.youtube.com]

YES thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 09:54

Glad Keith is back.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 21, 2017 10:28

Anitapal82
In that brown sugar intro on Saturday nite maybe Keith is yelling at chuck, as Mick looks to chuck for song cues constantly, and perhaps Mick got a nod to start singing . In the past the band would follow Keith's cues. Now it's chuck they follow. I wouldn't be happy either

Yes, yes and yes, Mick was already walking away when Keith swears, also Chuck did cue Mick in ( at the wrong time i might add ) and Keith felt a little sabotaged by an already disastrous intro.

Like i said in a previous post, Keith needed to up his game last night as he was going to have a mutiny on his hands. I think Keith new it too.

I don't trust Chuck anymore, he has become a Mick man 100 percent, and it goes without saying Matt is a Micks man 110 percent. If Keith loses Charlie and Charlie was to follow Chuck then Keith has lost all command of the band . Up until now Charlie has always followed Keith.

Maybe Chuck thinks he and Mick were justified in taking over leadership musically, but with performances like last nigh from Keith he temporarily has the respect of the band back. Long may it continue, this is fascination stuff, watching all of this, more than anything musically i'm just so happy keith is enjoying himself up there, because in Hamburg he really looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 21, 2017 10:47

stone4ever
Anitapal82

Yes, yes and yes, Mick was already walking away when Keith swears, also Chuck did cue Mick in ( at the wrong time i might add ) and Keith felt a little sabotaged by an already disastrous intro.

Like i said in a previous post, Keith needed to up his game last night as he was going to have a mutiny on his hands. I think Keith new it too.

I don't trust Chuck anymore, he has become a Mick man 100 percent, and it goes without saying Matt is a Micks man 110 percent. If Keith loses Charlie and Charlie was to follow Chuck then Keith has lost all command of the band . Up until now Charlie has always followed Keith.

Maybe Chuck thinks he and Mick were justified in taking over leadership musically, but with performances like last nigh from Keith he temporarily has the respect of the band back. Long may it continue, this is fascination stuff, watching all of this, more than anything musically i'm just so happy keith is enjoying himself up there, because in Hamburg he really looked like he wanted to be somewhere else.

Perhaps he was thinking about Hurricanes and the state of his holiday home in the Turks and Caicos.

Date: September 21, 2017 11:06

powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Did he go anywhere? smiling smiley

I told you that 90 percent of his playing was great on the other shows. If 90 percent is great, sometimes it goes all the way to 100 percent as well thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:07

I dont think Keith's playing is good but clearly better. And the whole band sounds tighter now. But this is just according to some youtube clips. grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:08

lem motlow
[...]
He doesn't give a shit about anything technical and just talks about how much fun a show is and how great it is to see them onstage again.
[...]

With that statement alone, you confirm that the Stones unfortunately are destroying their legacy as a genuine artistic band which contributed significantly to music, just as Mozart, Robert Johnson or The Beatles did (and as the Stones did in the past), but instead will be remembered as a mere "having a good time", on the level of that Bieber guy or lady Gaga.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:12

keefriff99
Lol, you're completely flipping the script. You yelled at us for pages and pages for criticizing Keith, and now you're going after the entire band.

The difference is that your criticism of Mick is unreasonable. I don't expect him to perform as athletically as he did 10-15 years ago. I still think he's in phenomenal shape, but I've tempered my expectations given that he's 73.

However, I DO think it's reasonable to expect Keith and Ronnie to not screw up Brown Sugar and Start Me Up after they've played those @#$%& songs 2000-3000 times over the decades.

thumbs up

Date: September 21, 2017 11:15

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Did he go anywhere? smiling smiley

I told you that 90 percent of his playing was great on the other shows. If 90 percent is great, sometimes it goes all the way to 100 percent as well thumbs up

Man you're a happy camper arent you grinning smiley

video: [www.youtube.com] thumbs up
Dancing with Mr D - Zürich

Date: September 21, 2017 11:16

I was going to say something about the too "slow" or dragging tempo of Mr D but nevermind. cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:37

Redhotcarpet
I dont think Keith's playing is good but clearly better. And the whole band sounds tighter now. But this is just according to some youtube clips. grinning smiley

Pretty much agree with that, and some folks seem to be getting a bit carried away. Yes Keith and the band played better in Zurich than the previous shows and that's a given, but is it really saying much?
Lets say a very old artist scribbles a few lines on a piece of paper one day, and then the next he actually draws a recognizable figure of someone. While that would be considered an improvement, it really isn't that great of an achievement. But if that's the best of that artist's abilities at that point in their life, then it might be appreciated for what it is. That said, it really can't compare to the truly great masterpieces the artist was painting in their prime that are shown in museums around the world. No big deal though, the ripe old artist is still alive and well and cranking out drawings at the best of their current abilities - hats off to him for giving his best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 11:38 by Hairball.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 21, 2017 11:49

powerage78
Glad Keith is back.

Keith : "I never was away, you little turd! I just have some bad days once in a while!" smoking smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 11:54

Redhotcarpet

I'm pretty sure liked his playing on YCAGWYW this time, though. He played THAT lick again winking smiley

I think you know what I mean smoking smiley

Posted by: mike567 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 12:28

Seems like Keith used Micabwer only for HTW in Zurich. He played the single coil tele on SMU, BS and DWMD (as well as on HTSYG). As somebody mentioned that Keith had technical problems with Micabwer at the Spielberg gig, this might be the result.

Date: September 21, 2017 12:38

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

I'm pretty sure liked his playing on YCAGWYW this time, though. He played THAT lick again winking smiley

I think you know what I mean smoking smiley

Haha yes he played it! smileys with beerthumbs up A lovely little trick up Keiths sleeve.

Edit: one of his best, and yes, he still pulls it off. That little tricky, seemingly easy thing. I still can't pull that one off. No idea why. Could be Keiths hands or fingers, they never were delicate and still he somehow made it sound so natural.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 12:47 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 21, 2017 13:04

I love it when Keith sometimes returns to a lick that he hasn't played for years...

...but one of the things I really love about Keith's playing is that he still, from time to time, manages to come up with a brand new & beautiful little lick to bring new interest to an old song.

I'm often left wondering "..why couldn't I have thought of that one ? "

[I expect it's because I'm not Keith grinning smiley ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 13:49 by Spud.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 21, 2017 13:10

I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

Date: September 21, 2017 13:35

MonkeyMan2000
I love that lick. I think in 81/82 he played it on almost every song. Took me quite a while to get that one

LOL, yes that's true! He played it slowly, mid-tempo and fast – parts of it, the whole thing and/or on repeat, all depending on which song they played grinning smiley

I love that lick thumbs up

Tie You Up must be the fastest version of it ever?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 21, 2017 13:46

The downside is that his current "pet licks" aren't always quite so good.

There was a rather annoying one that crept into almost everything on the ABB tour. grinning smiley

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: September 21, 2017 13:55

He has lost his chops completely, but it isn't about his musical abilities anyway anymore. People (me too) are glad that he still still alive and performing and doing all the usual Keith-isms. Doing his schtick, playing the old rebellious carefree pirate and stuff. And that's okay. As a musician and guitar player he is a joke nowdays unfortunately, you can hardly call that guitar playing what he is doing, he is strumming some wrong chords here and there, that's all. But praise the lord that he is still with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 13:56 by Hansman.

Posted by: paulspendel ()
Date: September 21, 2017 14:10

Just listen to the Zurich intro of Brown Sugar. He mixes up two tone scales (Brown Sugar and Start me up). It's hilarious. He'll probably end up playing everything the same.

Date: September 21, 2017 14:26

Hansman
He has lost his chops completely, but it isn't about his musical abilities anyway anymore. People (me too) are glad that he still still alive and performing and doing all the usual Keith-isms. Doing his schtick, playing the old rebellious carefree pirate and stuff. And that's okay. As a musician and guitar player he is a joke nowdays unfortunately, you can hardly call that guitar playing what he is doing, he is strumming some wrong chords here and there, that's all. But praise the lord that he is still with us.

You didn't see the show yesterday, I presume smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2017 14:28

DandelionPowderman
Hansman

I saw the YouTube clips.

Date: September 21, 2017 14:32

Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman

I saw the YouTube clips.

And still you claim that the guitarist who played YCAGWYW yesterday has «lost his chops completely» eye rolling smiley

You must have high standards..

Date: September 21, 2017 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman

I saw the YouTube clips.

And still you claim that the guitarist who played YCAGWYW yesterday has «lost his chops completely» eye rolling smiley

Oh come on grinning smiley

Don't tell me that you are impressed from what he played last night. Maybe you have extremely low standards. No offense.

Date: September 21, 2017 14:47

Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman

I saw the YouTube clips.

Don't tell me that you are impressed from what he played last night. Maybe you have extremely low standards. No offense.

Oh yeah, I was very impressed – for a number of reasons.

Date: September 21, 2017 14:49

DandelionPowderman
Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman
DandelionPowderman
Hansman

I saw the YouTube clips.

Oh yeah, I was very impressed – for a number of reasons.

Fair enough.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home