Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Date: September 20, 2017 12:18

Bjorn
To me - 1999 was the last tour that Keith played great. No security! Licks, riff, BENDINGS and all of that was still working. 2002-2003...it wasn´t there anymore...and by 2007...help...

That was it, I thought.

But 2012 and 2013 was fantastic, in a way, really surprised me - but in a different way.
Then he started drinking again.

So sad.

Like here.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:24

Yes, what a great Bitch version.
Keith is here so active, involved and (still) mobile.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 20, 2017 13:00

RS Board : themes and threads relating to any aspects of the RS... smileys with beer

Thommie
Are you guys still sustaining this thread...?

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:07

I think Keith just should play more between tours... Just 1 hour a day or even 20 minutes and he could run through some scales and he wouldn't have to play out of tune when the tours starts. I still think he's able to play the songs without mistakes if he would just prepare a bit more.

Date: September 20, 2017 13:12

RaiseTheKnife
I think Keith just should play more between tours... Just 1 hour a day or even 20 minutes and he could run through some scales and he wouldn't have to play out of tune when the tours starts. I still think he's able to play the songs without mistakes if he would just prepare a bit more.

Do you know how much he plays between tours? smiling smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:17

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

Wasn't there an interview recently where Ronnie said they hardly play between tours?

The clip you posted above is great - a shame Keith just cant play consistently like that anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 13:18 by erad.

Date: September 20, 2017 13:19

erad
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife

Wasn't there an interview recently where Ronnie said they hardly play between tours?

The clip you posted above is great - a shame Keith just cant play consistently like that anymore.

I think there was an interview where Ronnie said he didn't play between two specific tours, not that he didn't play between tours in general.

Date: September 20, 2017 13:20

<a shame Keith just cant play consistently like that anymore>

I don't know this, but I have my ideas. If you don't hear well, you won't play or sing well.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:32

DandelionPowderman

I don't know this, but I have my ideas. If you don't hear well, you won't play or sing well.

I don't know how much he plays between tours, but I doubt he sits down daily with a ''practice schedule'' between tours nowadays. Bad hearing can be a factor, but if you know the key and the scale on the fretboard you should still be able to play in key.

Date: September 20, 2017 13:42

RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

I don't know how much he plays between tours, but I doubt he sits down daily with a ''practice schedule'' between tours nowadays. Bad hearing can be a factor, but if you know the key and the scale on the fretboard you should still be able to play in key.

Of course, but have you tried to play with lights in your face in front of 80.000 people? Playing a blues scale half a note up or down for one or two seconds suddenly becomes very easy smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2017 13:57

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

Of course, but have you tried to play with lights in your face in front of 80.000 people? Playing a blues scale half a note up or down for one or two seconds suddenly becomes very easy smiling smiley
So right , the plain truth .

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 20, 2017 15:33

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

Ahhh...so it's the lights in Keith's face and/or the 80,000 people that are causing his f*ck-ups now ?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 20, 2017 15:41

DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

He's had no issue playing in front of massive crowds in the past, it's been a regular thing for decades for the Stones.

Look man, I love the guy as much as you do - but he just isn't a quarter of theg guitar player he used to be. I don't begrudge him for it, the man is 74? years old and has lived a hell of a life with all of the substance abuse for so long, and the head injury and arthritis. I agree with people that say you should get out and see them while you still can, unfortunately I live in NZ and don't have the means to do it. However, they are charging through the nose for these tickets and are really delivering a subpar performance. These guys are in their mid-late 70s and have been earning millions for decades, do they really need the money??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 15:42 by erad.

Date: September 20, 2017 16:03

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

Ahhh...so it's the lights in Keith's face and/or the 80,000 people that are causing his f*ck-ups now ?

If he slips to the blues scale one fret off, for only a few seconds, that might be a reason, yes. What he plays within that scale he can't blame on the lights, though smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2017 16:06

erad
DandelionPowderman
RaiseTheKnife
DandelionPowderman

He's had no issue playing in front of massive crowds in the past, it's been a regular thing for decades for the Stones.

Look man, I love the guy as much as you do - but he just isn't a quarter of theg guitar player he used to be. I don't begrudge him for it, the man is 74? years old and has lived a hell of a life with all of the substance abuse for so long, and the head injury and arthritis. I agree with people that say you should get out and see them while you still can, unfortunately I live in NZ and don't have the means to do it. However, they are charging through the nose for these tickets and are really delivering a subpar performance. These guys are in their mid-late 70s and have been earning millions for decades, do they really need the money??

Are you serious? Keith has fvcked up stuff on stage in every decade he has been a professional musician!

Even now, when his playing abilities have somewhat diminished, he will only do a few mistakes during a 2 hours +-show.

Posted by: rollingloc ()
Date: September 20, 2017 16:45

Since Paris 2007, where Keith was totally absent, I'm scared for each concert... I was feeling so sick after Paris, and London 26/08. I thought it was the end. I felt the same after watching shine a light. No Keith. The fall tour 2006 was the beginning of his decadence. The brain injury is in cause.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 20, 2017 16:54

DandelionPowderman
Bjorn
To me - 1999 was the last tour that Keith played great. No security! Licks, riff, BENDINGS and all of that was still working. 2002-2003...it wasn´t there anymore...and by 2007...help...

That was it, I thought.

But 2012 and 2013 was fantastic, in a way, really surprised me - but in a different way.

So sad.

Like here.

[www.youtube.com]

great show, Raleigh NC !

(...wish i could have gone to that...)

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 20, 2017 17:14

rollingloc
Since Paris 2007, where Keith was totally absent, I'm scared for each concert... I was feeling so sick after Paris, and London 26/08. I thought it was the end. I felt the same after watching shine a light. No Keith. The fall tour 2006 was the beginning of his decadence. The brain injury is in cause.

He was kind of absent already in 2005, for instance this SFTD solo from 2006 prior to the injury is an example of him phoning it in completely and playing out of key (actually the whole show is a detached mess) :

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 20, 2017 18:01

Once again many of you are missing a valid point here.

That clip on youtube of Bitch was his 12th gig of that tour. He will be up to that standard by Paris if the rest of the band are playing well and if Keith remains fairly sober throughout the coming shows.

Date: September 20, 2017 18:07

But finally, where is the respect for the public who attends the previous concerts ? Are you really serious ?
Is that a lottery ?
Or you have to be there the good day, and if possible at the end of the tour ?
eye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley
This is a disrespectful and totally surreal argument really !
The tickets of the first concerts are sold off ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

stone4ever

That clip on youtube of Bitch was his 12th gig of that tour. He will be up to that standard by Paris if the rest of the band are playing well and if Keith remains fairly sober throughout the coming shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 18:09 by powerage78.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 18:21

powerage78
But finally, where is the respect for the public who attends the previous concerts ? Are you really serious ?
Is that a lottery ?
The tickets of the first concerts are sold off ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

stone4ever

That's the exact joke I was making...hell, let's give Keith an ENTIRE TOUR to warm up, so that he's "on" for the very last show of the tour.

I'm sure 500,000 people won't mind spending money to watch the Stones go through dry runs onstage while Keith's fingers and brain get back to good working order.

Date: September 20, 2017 18:26

keefriff99
powerage78
Is that a lottery ?

stone4ever

That's the exact joke I was making...hell, let's give Keith an ENTIRE TOUR to warm up, so that he's "on" for the very last show of the tour.

I'm sure 500,000 people won't mind spending money to watch the Stones go through dry runs onstage while Keith's fingers and brain get back to good working order.

But they aren't doing that at all. The Hamburg-show I attended was great. So what if Keith butched a couple of solos? On the rest of the show his playing was fine. He did good solos as well.

Let's not get carried away here folks, and make up alternative facts. The shows are worth every penny. The Rolling Stones never was a super guitar hero solo-band in the first place.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 20, 2017 18:30

DandelionPowderman
Bjorn

That was it, I thought.

So sad.

Like here.

[www.youtube.com]

If Keith had performed a great solo that version wouldve been really good given it's 2015. Not a clunker solo but he clearly can't (?) play certain things. My theory: his fingers. But yes, great find!thumbs up Pleasant surprise. smileys with beer

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 18:30

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
powerage78
Is that a lottery ?

stone4ever

But they aren't doing that at all. The Hamburg-show I attended was great. So what if Keith butched a couple of solos? On the rest of the show his playing was fine. He did good solos as well.

Let's not get carried away here folks, and make up alternative facts. The shows are worth every penny. The Rolling Stones never was a super guitar hero solo-band in the first place.
Of course I'm exaggerating. I just like how stone4ever constantly says that Keith needs 12 shows to warm up, which is an absurd statement for a professional musician.

Date: September 20, 2017 18:32

Gotcha, Keefriff99 smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2017 18:33

DandelionPowderman

E x a c t l y. You read my mind. I think that's the problem. Like on that Brown Sugar mishap. He probably knows what and how to play that intro but seems lost somehow. Could very well be his hearing.

Date: September 20, 2017 18:34

Thommie
Are you guys still sustaining this thread...?

You and me bro. grinning smiley

Date: September 20, 2017 18:35

They seem to add sustain to Keiths guitars like on SFM. He doesnt have to play as much, just hit the right chords on the right beat.

Date: September 20, 2017 18:54

Redhotcarpet
They seem to add sustain to Keiths guitars like on SFM. He doesnt have to play as much, just hit the right chords on the right beat.

I can tell you that in the park it sounded like he lacked sustain generally, but he might have gotten a little beef from Pierre on SFM. Happy and BS were totally dry. If the tone didn't ring, he had to count bars and wait to play what came next.

He's a purist when it comes to sound, and it surprises me that he avoids distortion when he can.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 20, 2017 18:57

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
powerage78
Is that a lottery ?

stone4ever

Of course I'm exaggerating. I just like how stone4ever constantly says that Keith needs 12 shows to warm up, which is an absurd statement for a professional musician.

But its the truth and its nearly always been that way, on the big tours Keith was always a completely different player by show 12 to 15 and by the end of a 40 date tour he was a different man on stage.

I understand why you are angered by me saying that Keefriff99 because people are paying a lot of money to see someone under rehearsed. But it is what it is.

Funny thing was the Fonda gig, Keith was great there and it was their first show of that tour, so Keith obviously can rehearse and play better during his non drinking mini tours.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home