Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:18

TheBlockbuster
What amazes me is how fast their decline has been.

2002-2003 they sounded tighter than ever and Keith was GREAT,

2005-2007 Keith started to fade and the shows were hit and miss

2012 the tempos were slowed down immensely, but Keith was more present on stage

2017 still a great band but mistakes happen left and right
Well as much as I hate to say it, 2002 was a LONG time ago. People change a lot in 15 years.

Hell, today is almost 15 years to the day (Sep 3) that I was leaving work early to head up to Boston for opening night of the Licks tour, and it was INCREDIBLE. One of the most exciting concerts I'd ever experienced.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:26

stone4ever
stonerolling
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stonerolling
Start Me Up Spielberg

Find this interesting. About 1:45min he plays the riff instead of going in to the next section, a few moments later he's pointing at his hands, then does the same a little later. Wondering if the colder European weather is impacting the arthritis...

Anyway, still looking forward to Barca!

Wasn't the song supposed to continue with the verse, and Mick started to sing the bridge instead? They saved it quickly anyway smiling smiley

What annoys me is that Ronnie does a piss poor solo to SMU and no one mentions it !! Mick is walking around like an old fart, Charlie is completely over the hill and all we get is a diet of how shit keith is.

Now you're inviting the Taylor lovers in on this >grinning smiley<

I think the Taylor lovers left this forum many moons ago.

No, some of them are still here - his appearances during the 50 and Counting tour were the some of the greatest highlights in the entire history of the band.

But it is interesting that Ronnie seems to be getting a free ride amidst all of the Keith bashing. There was a time when Ronnie was to blame for most of the band's shortcomings (there were similar threads like this dedicated to him), but now all attention is on Keith and his multiple screw-ups. The last I saw them, Ronnie was doing a fine job in comparison to some of his drunken performance days of the past. He's carrying a heavy load right now, and any mistakes he makes might be forgivable considering his role as multi-tasker (covering for Keith, etc.). The best case scenario to remedy all of this is they should have allowed Mick Taylor to stay with the team, let Ronnie play rhythm and the occasional lead (only on the songs he recorded in the studio), and let Keith do whatever he does with the knowledge that the two other guitar players will fill the void and cover the mess. An unrealistic scenario maybe, but might have been the key to a fully functioning band.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:27

keefriff99
Some of you people really do talk about him like he's a delicate infant.

This is the essential conundrum about Keith and fandom that I've just had to accept and make my peace with. There is a constant tension/contradiction between the view of Keith as the bandleader, the undisputed badass guitar gunslinger of all time, the snakeskin boot knife wielding midnight rambler you just wouldn't cross on a bet ... and the Keith who is bullied by that mean old Mick Jagger into playing songs he doesn't like in ways he doesn't like to play them. Keith is both the delicate rock'n'roll poet and the down'n'dirty pirate of debauchery, while Mick is the cold, clinical technician who's solely interested in cashing checks.

Personally, I believe both men to be eminently qualified to stand up for themselves, extremely canny about the financial workings of the band (that lawn in Connecticut don't come cheap), and entirely cognizant of their professional obligations in putting on a show. Suggesting Keith is cavalier about touring, or capable of getting his panties in a bunch to the point it would effect his playing is really selling him short ... but it does feed into that image of him as the romantic rock-n-roll outlaw who gets taken advantage of the venal money grubbers around him.

Date: September 19, 2017 21:40

DandelionPowderman

Both starts with a classic syncopated off beat from Keith, causing a slight delay. And Charlie can't manage to pick it up.

Perhaps, and I did n acknowledge it is the same type of screw up technically. I should have been more clear (rather than a blanket statement) as I was referring to the differences of how the band recovers from the screw ups, the overall skills in general, and the performances as a whole. The obvious differences between the band of now vs. then is due to the declining musicianship and old age, and I think most of us would agree with that.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:47

keefriff99
TheBlockbuster

Well as much as I hate to say it, 2002 was a LONG time ago. People change a lot in 15 years.

Hell, today is almost 15 years to the day (Sep 3) that I was leaving work early to head up to Boston for opening night of the Licks tour, and it was INCREDIBLE. One of the most exciting concerts I'd ever experienced.

I saw that show! It was the warm up show for the live pay-per view show at Madison Square Garden. I've seen the Stones 33 times and that show may have been the best I've seen! The energy and crowd noise was off the charts!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 22:12

Ronnie should play some intros and some occasional lead...
Ah this cursed pride, but so human...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 22:52

Stones726
keefriff99
TheBlockbuster

I saw that show! It was the warm up show for the live pay-per view show at Madison Square Garden. I've seen the Stones 33 times and that show may have been the best I've seen! The energy and crowd noise was off the charts!
Well opening night was in September 2002. They didn't play the HBO show until January 2003, but they did play the Fleet Center in Boston one additional time a week before that. I also attended that show.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 19, 2017 23:36

This is why I quit going to Stones shows after seeing the Bridges To Babylon show.

Mick can't sing the songs properly any more.
Keith can't sing any more, period.
Keith can rarely play guitar well anymore.
Charlie (and the entire band) plays most songs too slow.
Too many past band members who were good are no longer with them.

Good Points:
Ronnie is playing pretty well.
The show is still a great production and a great party.

All that being said, if you've never seen the Stones you should still throw down your $250+ and see them before it's too late.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:05

Hairball
stone4ever
stonerolling
stone4ever
DandelionPowderman
stonerolling
Start Me Up Spielberg

The best case scenario to remedy all of this is they should have allowed Mick Taylor to stay with the team, let Ronnie play rhythm and the occasional lead (only on the songs he recorded in the studio), and let Keith do whatever he does with the knowledge that the two other guitar players will fill the void and cover the mess. An unrealistic scenario maybe, but might have been the key to a fully functioning band.

It would not be unrealistic if they had treated him better back in 2012/13. Provided they would have accepted him as a band member, they would have rehearsed with him properly for this tour, and they would amplify him properly this could have worked out excellently. It would make up for the shortcomings of the others due to their age.

Moreover, it would not have meant a downsizing of Ron Wood, and those casual concertgoers would have enjoyed Mick Tayler (even if they would not know who he is) as much as the diehards,

Date: September 20, 2017 00:10

Lol something must be wrong with the quoting system again as those quotes above got a massive screw-up...similar to the intro to Brown Sugar. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:17

Bungo
This is why I quit going to Stones shows after seeing the Bridges To Babylon show.

Good Points:

All that being said, if you've never seen the Stones you should still throw down your $250+ and see them before it's too late.

?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:21

....so what are the odds Jagger continues if this is reality and not perception?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 20, 2017 00:41

Hairball
Lol something must be wrong with the quoting system again as those quotes above got a massive screw-up...similar to the intro to Brown Sugar. grinning smiley

...If you've never made the quotes you should still thrown down your $.0250+ and say it before it's too late, or something like that. winking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 20, 2017 01:25

Bungo

Good Points:

All that being said, if you've never seen the Stones you should still throw

down your $250+ and see them before it's too late.

What is singing properly? You watch to many talent reality shows. I'm 60 and I don't eat a cheeseburger properly anymore. It still gets in my stomach.

Date: September 20, 2017 01:52

People, please tone down the Keith bashing, otherwise he'll be blondied. smoking smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 20, 2017 04:34

DandelionPowderman
stonerolling
Start Me Up Spielberg

Find this interesting. About 1:45min he plays the riff instead of going in to the next section, a few moments later he's pointing at his hands, then does the same a little later. Wondering if the colder European weather is impacting the arthritis...

Wasn't the song supposed to continue with the verse, and Mick started to sing the bridge instead? They saved it quickly anyway smiling smiley

yep - good save...and for most of the spectators at the show they probably didn't notice.

Geez - Ronnie's solo here is god damn awful..

Maybe we need to dig out the Ronnie-bashing threads again spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 20, 2017 04:42

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
stonerolling
Start Me Up Spielberg

yep - good save...and for most of the spectators at the show they probably didn't notice.

Maybe we need to dig out the Ronnie-bashing threads again spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: September 20, 2017 04:47

That YT vid is not great quality sound. Despite what people say about capturing the real moment with their phones.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 20, 2017 04:56

KingmanBarstow
That YT vid is not great quality sound. Despite what people say about capturing the real moment with their phones.

These types of comments are always such a cop out for me. Even if the quality from a youtube vid is not the same as being at the gig, you can still hear bum notes, 'solos' played out of key and out of tune, fluffed intros etc. No amount of 'being there' can change a bum note from being a bum note, or Keith's attempt at a sympathy solo being out of key to in key.

Date: September 20, 2017 05:03

Still sounds like a crap recording of Ronnie's solo to me.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 20, 2017 05:26

KingmanBarstow
Still sounds like a crap recording of Ronnie's solo to me.

yep crap recording of a crap solo

Date: September 20, 2017 05:37

erad
KingmanBarstow

These types of comments are always such a cop out for me. Even if the quality from a youtube vid is not the same as being at the gig, you can still hear bum notes, 'solos' played out of key and out of tune, fluffed intros etc. No amount of 'being there' can change a bum note from being a bum note, or Keith's attempt at a sympathy solo being out of key to in key.

Like watching car race live and there happens to be a nasty crash on turn #8.
Then later watching the car race video on youtube...the car crash is still clearly evident!
Or watching a boxing match live, and one of the boxers gets KNOCKED OUT in round #3.
Same thing as above - watch the video later and the knockout is still as clear as day.
Watch Keith play live - you may (or may not) see and hear him screw up a riff.
Then when watching and listening to the recorded evidence (even of mediocre quality), the screw up is as clear as day.
None of these mishaps above just mysteriously appear on a video after the fact- they actually happened!

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:00

If you watch Glastonbury from 4 years ago Keith was playing heads up guitar. He was well practised and solid rhythmically. He wasn't driving the songs but he was pretty on point for most songs. The whole band was rocking tightly. Save his cringe worthy solos which he hasn't played well in years.

Fast forward 4 years and although he hasn't shaken the cobwebs off usually until 8-10 shows in he is playing heads down guitar and seems to not fully remeber some songs. He is disengaged and appears lost. Even the strumming patterns and timing are way off on classic songs he has played 100s of times. Some he can't actually play properly the whole way through which is worrying.

I'm thinking he will improve as the tour goes on. If he doesn't there is likely a more serious problem brewing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 06:02 by Markdog.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:39

There's a wide gap between the Keith of the 2000s, and the Keith of 2012 onward. 1999 was magnificent, but when I saw them in L.A. on the Licks Tour in 2002 things were a little lackluster. Then at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005 was when it seemed songs like Get Off of My Cloud were being played in waltz time. A year later at Dodger Stadium it was a very weird experience. Yes, Mick was on. Just as I managed to catch Keith & Charlie both 'on' in 1999, I finally saw a show where Mick was 'on'. It was an incredible show of shock and awe lights and sound, but it lacked actual music.

When I saw them on the Jersey PPV in 2012, Keith looked like a mummy up there. He barely moved and contributed little on guitar. By the time I caught them in L.A. at Staples Center in 2013, it was evident that they had crossed over into some new place. They strolled through I Wanna Be Your Man, and the only memorable music was Taylor on Midnight Rambler, the Choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want, and Keith's fierce few opening chords on Jumpin' Jack Flash. I knew that I was at my last Rolling Stones concert unless something drastically improved in the lineup.

Date: September 20, 2017 07:21

24FPS
There's a wide gap between the Keith of the 2000s, and the Keith of 2012 onward. 1999 was magnificent, but when I saw them in L.A. on the Licks Tour in 2002 things were a little lackluster. Then at the Hollywood Bowl in 2005 was when it seemed songs like Get Off of My Cloud were being played in waltz time. A year later at Dodger Stadium it was a very weird experience. Yes, Mick was on. Just as I managed to catch Keith & Charlie both 'on' in 1999, I finally saw a show where Mick was 'on'. It was an incredible show of shock and awe lights and sound, but it lacked actual music.

When I saw them on the Jersey PPV in 2012, Keith looked like a mummy up there. He barely moved and contributed little on guitar. By the time I caught them in L.A. at Staples Center in 2013, it was evident that they had crossed over into some new place. They strolled through I Wanna Be Your Man, and the only memorable music was Taylor on Midnight Rambler, the Choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want, and Keith's fierce few opening chords on Jumpin' Jack Flash. I knew that I was at my last Rolling Stones concert unless something drastically improved in the lineup.

The L.A. Staples Center show (s) in 2013 must have been pretty bad for you if you heard them play I Wanna Be Your Man as it wasn't played at either of them! smiling smiley (maybe you were referring to the pay per view?).
But yes, they crossed over into some new place around that time, and the saving grace was having Mick Taylor with them. I was at the second Staples show (May 20th), and I think it was the one and only show of the tour where Taylor was featured on four tunes - Sway (!), Can't You Hear Me Knocking (!!), and Midnight Rambler (!!!), along with some strumming on Satisfaction. Those first three mentioned made it worth the price of admission alone, and for a variety of reasons it stands out as the last truly great Stones show I attended. Fond memories of that one, and having seen them a few times after that, it was clear it was all going downhill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 07:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 07:53

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
stonerolling
Start Me Up Spielberg

I’m hoping that they bring the comedy of errors tour to Japan but I fear Mick will pull the plug/smash Keith’s guitars before too long.
What a horror show that Start Me Up video is - Ronnie seems to relish all the sonic pain he's dishing out and Mick is limping around the stage like a zombie..Initially I felt like crying but in the end I couldn’t stop laughing – it’s like the Stones have morphed into Spinal Tap.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 08:39

Some of you lot are in denial. The end is eventually coming. Maybe this is the last tour? Maybe next year? But it's coming. We all know it. So why not enjoy it for what it is? The historical final run/s of the worlds greatest band. See them now if you can. This is history. Let's not bicker over who botched what.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 20, 2017 11:52

I think so too, after the UK dates next year.
But there will never be an official "we stop touring" announcement.
And after perhaps some punctual and exceptional shows.
But I'm probably wrong, because if there is a new studio album, it changes everything.

mpj200
Some of you lot are in denial. The end is eventually coming. Maybe this is the last tour? Maybe next year? But it's coming. We all know it. So why not enjoy it for what it is? The historical final run/s of the worlds greatest band. See them now if you can. This is history. Let's not bicker over who botched what.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 11:58 by powerage78.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:03

Are you guys still sustaining this thread...?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 20, 2017 12:10

To me - 1999 was the last tour that Keith played great. No security! Licks, riff, BENDINGS and all of that was still working. 2002-2003...it wasn´t there anymore...and by 2007...help...

That was it, I thought.

But 2012 and 2013 was fantastic, in a way, really surprised me - but in a different way.
Then he started drinking again.

So sad.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home