Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 53
Re: Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2017 04:04

2120Wolf
The Keith Critics with all their insight...They seem to be everywhere ???
My Last Show - Vegas 10-22-16...First Row Mezz Side Stage...got in for $0.00.
They were @#$%& great...Keith Kicked Ass...Sounded great...So if your insight is from You Tube it is way off base...I disagree...Over 50 shows since 75'...It is amazing that there still here doing it...Get to a show...Get Close and Enjoy Keith !!!...STOP BEING YOU-TUBE CRITICS...GET TO A SHOW...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN......GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...

Lol...deja vu as I've seen this post in another thread - or maybe it was this one! But I shall reply again....

I was also at the Vegas show - floor seats...paid $250 day of show on stubhub for a face value $750+ ticket...the Stones were average at best...Keith was OK...sounded OK...MICK WAS STILL SICK...short setlist...backup singers and band covered for Mick the whole show...over 50 shows since '81...yes it is amazing they are still doing it...I still felt shortchanged at the bargain bin price I paid...yes get to a show (if you can get in for a bargain)...get close to Keith and enjoy whatever's left while you can...the Vegas show was NOT AS GOOD AS BOTH DESERT TRIP SHOWS which I was at both of with WKD 2 being the SUPERIOR with a GREAT SETLIST!!! Vegas was a poor way to end their days in the US (not counting the mini-private show afterwards), and we can only hope they return to reestablish their greatness regardless of their skill level. Better to go out with a BANG vs. a short show where Mick was still sick, not to mention the first Vegas show they cancelled leaving thousands of fans disillusioned and heartbroken.

ps - To see them for free as you say you did, it would be hard to complain about anything, but what about those who had to pony up close to $800 for a hyphenated show?!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 04:05 by Hairball.

Date: September 19, 2017 04:19

35love
stone4ever
>But yeah, I'm not down with Karl Denson at all. I tried to give him a chance, but I'm not digging it. Bobby, for as much of a party animal as he was, nailed his solos note-for-note every night. The BS solo is so iconic that it deserves that reverence<.

thumbs up

The guy showed up giving respect for the original Bobby solo's, but what he is doing now is terrible and i can't believe Keith hasn't pulled him up on it, or called him out as you Americans say.

One thing that gets confusing during this thread, when a Brit says pissed, they mean drunk.
When an American says pissed they usually mean Pissed Off.

Please when referring to Keith being pissed use a word that takes out the confusion.

Ha! Me the American using 'pissed' as angry. Live w/ a Brit, never heard 'pissed' from his English clan as drunk, and I sure don't like talking about urinating. But duly noted/ no more 'pissed'

Having lived in England myself and also married to my wife whose a Brit (she's lived here 30 years and now has dual citizenship smiling smiley), "pissed" is indeed a way of describing drunkenness ie "he came home from a night at the pub completely pissed". She never uses that terminology as she's quite ladylike, and maybe because she's been partially "Americanized" after 30 years, but sometimes when I use the term "pissed" describing someone whose angry, she needs clarification just as stone4ever is asking for.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: September 19, 2017 04:29

Hairball
2120Wolf
They were @#$%& great...Keith Kicked Ass...Sounded great...So if your insight is from You Tube it is way off base...I disagree...Over 50 shows since 75'...It is amazing that there still here doing it...Get to a show...Get Close and Enjoy Keith !!!...STOP BEING YOU-TUBE CRITICS...GET TO A SHOW...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN......GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...GET CLOSE AND ENJOY KEITH WHILE YOU CAN...

Lol...deja vu as I've seen this post in another thread - or maybe it was this one! But I shall reply again....

I was also at the Vegas show - floor seats...paid $250 day of show on stubhub for a face value $750+ ticket...the Stones were average at best...Keith was OK...sounded OK...MICK WAS STILL SICK...short setlist...backup singers and band covered for Mick the whole show...over 50 shows since '81...yes it is amazing they are still doing it...I still felt shortchanged at the bargain bin price I paid...yes get to a show (if you can get in for a bargain)...get close to Keith and enjoy whatever's left while you can...the Vegas show was NOT AS GOOD AS BOTH DESERT TRIP SHOWS which I was at both of with WKD 2 being the SUPERIOR with a GREAT SETLIST!!! Vegas was a poor way to end their days in the US (not counting the mini-private show afterwards), and we can only hope they return to reestablish their greatness regardless of their skill level. Better to go out with a BANG vs. a short show where Mick was still sick, not to mention the first Vegas show they cancelled leaving thousands of fans disillusioned and heartbroken.

ps - To see them for free as you say you did, it would be hard to complain about anything, but what about those who had to pony up close to $800 for a hyphenated show?!!!

I have to say that someone would be just short of being a full blown idiot to pay anymore than $200.00 to see anybody...except a sure shot kick ass call girl !!!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 04:47 by 2120Wolf.

Date: September 19, 2017 04:55

stonehearted
jumpingjackflash5
Keith makes mistakes and that is OK. In spielberg he also had some technical issues with guitar on beginning of htw and bs.

But e.g. here we all can hear why he is still the king. He plays his solo with passion and soul.

[youtu.be]

The comments below that YT video are like this thread -- half and half, half thinking he's still got it and half thinking he's lost it.

Mixed because in the beginning he had problems with his guitar and maybe syncing with the rest of the band. That is why i posted link from certain part of the song where he plays HTW solo with passion and soul.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2017 05:27

Hairball
2120Wolf

All in the eye (ear) of the beholder, I suppose.

Was at Desert Trip (on the rail Keith's side) and at Vegas.
Keith was fantastic at both.. but in Vegas he was on fire.

The guitars were downright raunchy, and nearly everyone agreed that the whole band stepped it up a notch because of Mick's illness.(BTW- humans get sick, and sometimes the show can't go on.. my wife had to fly home with no concert, yet no disillusionment about the band as most humans/fans/adults get that sometimes life happens)

Sounds like the price paid influences your opinion of how the band sounded/played. Of course that's nonsense. It was a short set in Vegas, a complaint about that in correlation to $ amount paid, is fair, but they gave it their all that night in Vegas and it was fantastic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 05:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 19, 2017 06:32

2120Wolf
Hairball
2120Wolf

I have to say that someone would be just short of being a full blown idiot to pay anymore than $200.00 to see anybody...except a sure shot kick ass call girl !!!

See, now I think you're a full blown idiot.
((sorry, not really calling names, although paying for sex is really gross/ not exactly pro female/ daughters))

and I'm outta this thread, it has the lowest rent I've ever seen on IORR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 06:42 by 35love.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:33

MisterDDDD
Hairball
2120Wolf

All in the eye (ear) of the beholder, I suppose.

Was at Desert Trip (on the rail Keith's side) and at Vegas.
Keith was fantastic at both.. but in Vegas he was on fire.

The guitars were downright raunchy, and nearly everyone agreed that the whole band stepped it up a notch because of Mick's illness.(BTW- humans get sick, and sometimes the show can't go on.. my wife had to fly home with no concert, yet no disillusionment about the band as most humans/fans/adults get that sometimes life happens)

Sounds like the price paid influences your opinion of how the band sounded/played. Of course that's nonsense. It was a short set in Vegas, a complaint about that in correlation to $ amount paid, is fair, but they gave it their all that night in Vegas and it was fantastic!

Yes - all in the eye (ear) of the beholder.

Desert Trip 1& 2 were far better IMO. I was also in the pit for weekend two and paid $350 for the entire weekend Pit pass via stubhub just prior to the weekend. That's $350 divided by six bands which is less than $60 each, but might have been happily satisfied if I would have paid the original face value of $1500 (though I would have never paid that much to begin with) so no - the amount I pay doesn't influence the way the band sounded/played. For example, I paid close to an outrageous $1,000 face value for the Vegas Joint show in 2003 , and it was a lackluster typical warhorse show. Fun, but nothing extraordinary. On the other hand, I paid only $75 (apprx.) face value for the Vredenburg show in 2003 and it was one of the best I've ever been to (along with my first Stones show in '81)! Glad your wife took it well about the cancellation, but many weren't so understanding - many posted their anger/frustration right here on IORR. One in particular was pissed off knowing the band was going off to play the private show after Vegas II, wondering why they couldn't have rescheduled the cancelled show. Bottom line - Vegas was a very poor excuse for a Stones show IMO no matter what someone paid for it- not the worst I've seen them but nowhere near any of the best. They might have been better off cancelling it as well. Yes it's ashame Mick was still sick, and yes it was great to see the rest cover for him, but it's a bummer that it might be the last time they ever play a real show in the States, and for that reason I prefer to consider DT2 the last true time I got to see them while the Vegas show will always have an asterisk after it. If you think it was just as good as some of their best shows, well good for you, but not all of us fall into the cheerleader category where everything they do is praiseworthy.

Bottom line - it's all in the eye (ear) of the beholder.

Date: September 19, 2017 06:54

2120Wolf

smiling smiley

To this day I still question my sanity after that ridiculously and outrageously overpriced Vegas Joint show back in 2002, but you live and learn, and I've never made that mistake again!

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 08:02

matxil
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQEbL1IAx8
LOL! Oh wow...Charlie and Bill's reactions were priceless.

smiling smiley
One of those rare smiles from Bill...
I also like that huge grin of Ronnie when things are back on track again.
More of a wry smirk...like, "Can you believe the shit I have to put up with??"

Just re-watched it. Bill's reaction shot is pure perfection. How can you not love that guy?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 19, 2017 08:39

I've been replaying Spielberg in my head for the last few days and watching videos now in the airport...StreetFighting Man and Slipping Away especially.

Keith is an absolute @#$%& TREASURE!
Long Live The Rolling Stones!
thumbs upsmoking smileythumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 19, 2017 08:40

vertigojoe
In Keith's recent doc on Netflix when asked if he has friends he plays with for fun he says "Yeah they're called The Rolling Stones" but he doesn't look like he's having much fun to me. His emasculation at the hands of Chuck & Mick is just humiliating him and whether he's got too many yes men around him telling him he's still got it or whatever it is I don't know. Still, that's been the deal since '89 and having had a taste of life as a solo artist outside the gilded cage he couldn't wait to get back inside it. I guess this is the outcome.

This is what i picked up on and was trying to express, but you have explained it better than me vertigojoe. I would say it goes slightly beyond Mick and Chuck, it's the whole crew really with people like Matt. Keith has got a mutiny on his hands and he knows it. When Brown Sugar went wrong for what ever reason , the band would have always followed Keith, even up to recent tours, but this was different and Keith new it, and he got angry and upset by it. There was plenty of time for everyone to follow Keith but they just wouldn't. Off camera after he stopped playing to tell Mick or Chuck to f off, he also stopped playing again and went towards the right hand side and had a go at someone in that direction but it's not on camera.
OK Keith was all smiles by the end of BS, but it will be telling which way the band will follow on the next cock up.
I think this is arising because Keith is struggling, Keith is at a crossroads now, he needs to up his playing or he is going to lose his grip in more than one way.

I also agree that Keith possibly has yes men around him, i doubt anyone except Mick could or would say anything to keith, and Mick worked out years ago that keith would never follow an order or take much notice.
Keith is bloody minded enough to do the opposite lol.

As i say, i think this will cause keith to up his game, it was the bands way of telling him we are not following you.
Keith needs to recapture respect from the band and the only way he can do that is to play better.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 19, 2017 08:45

I would just like to thank DEAN GOODMAN for his honest reviews.

Its so refreshing to know we can get the truth from someone when we are not at the show..

Thank you very much, and keep it real. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 19, 2017 09:36

Hairball
2120Wolf

smiling smiley

To this day I still question my sanity after that ridiculously and outrageously overpriced Vegas Joint show back in 2002, but you live and learn, and I've never made that mistake again!

I was at that one! Licks tour. I was up in the balcony. It was great seeing them in that small a hall (before the Joint remodel). I thought the band was better the next night @ MGM Grand. Sticky Fingers night. The stripped down version they did of Brown Sugar on the small stage was the best I've heard.

Date: September 19, 2017 09:40

stone4ever
I would just like to thank DEAN GOODMAN for his honest reviews.

Its so refreshing to know we can get the truth from someone when we are not at the show..

Thank you very much, and keep it real. thumbs up

Do dishonest reviews exist? winking smiley

Date: September 19, 2017 09:54

crholmstrom
Hairball
2120Wolf

smiling smiley

I was at that one! Licks tour. I was up in the balcony. It was great seeing them in that small a hall (before the Joint remodel). I thought the band was better the next night @ MGM Grand. Sticky Fingers night. The stripped down version they did of Brown Sugar on the small stage was the best I've heard.

Awesome you were also there at the Joint!!! thumbs up I was about two thirds of the way back on the floor to the left and thankfully I'm 6'2" as it was a level floor and I was able to see the band and stage over the crowd. EXPENSIVE tickets, but thought it would be my only chance to see them in a small club (and it was pretty small). I think I enjoyed Solomon Burke (RIP) as opener, just as much as the Stones temselves... he was a big old dude sitting on a big old throne! Didn't know yet that I'd be seeing them in several small theaters/clubs in Europe the following summer for a fraction of the price, so I went ahead and bit the bullet for the Joint. Not a bad show, but the setlist didn't really have any surprises Vegas Joint reviews. And yes, glad you mentioned the MGM show the following night which I was also at, because the general concensus amongst every fan who was at both is that it was a far better show. Plus I met Bobby Keys in the casino afterwards!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 10:04 by Hairball.

Date: September 19, 2017 10:00

I tried to press the «See IORR reviews here»-link, Hairball. Something spooky happened. Looks like I'm getting into your (or Chuck's?) post before it is posted.

A bug? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 10:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 19, 2017 10:02

Date: September 19, 2017 10:06

DandelionPowderman
I tried to press the «See IORR reviews here»-link, Hairball. Something spooky happened. Looks like I'm getting into your (or Chuck's?) post before it is posted.

A bug? confused smiley

Ahhh haha thats creepy...eye popping smiley...thanks for the heads up, I accidentally copied the link to this page as I was writing (and had it in preview) rather than the Vegas page which I had opened in another tab.
Edited and fixed the link above. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 10:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 10:22

It's not just that they make mistakes, there was some in the past every show but now, Keith forgot how to play guitar.
Its easy to understand. He is old and can't play guitar now, that's life but he have to stop now.
If you like the dentist you use always go to, and now he is 70 with a tembling hand, what will you do?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2017 10:26

Don't let him drill ...... Get false teeth ASAP ....^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Date: September 19, 2017 10:27

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

A bug? confused smiley

Ahhh haha thats creepy...eye popping smiley...thanks for the heads up, I accidentally copied the link to this page as I was writing (and had it in preview) rather than the Vegas page which I had opened in another tab.
Edited and fixed the link above. thumbs up

thumbs up

Date: September 19, 2017 10:29

ouroux58
It's not just that they make mistakes, there was some in the past every show but now, Keith forgot how to play guitar.
Its easy to understand. He is old and can't play guitar now, that's life but he have to stop now.
If you like the dentist you use always go to, and now he is 70 with a tembling hand, what will you do?

What you do now is to cherry pick moments in the show, when you say he can't play anymore. By watching a whole show, you'll find that your statement is inaccurate at best smiling smiley

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 19, 2017 11:11

I don't see Mick, Chuck or anyone else trying to sideline or emasculate Keith. On the contrary he still gets the solos he's always taken like Sympathy, IORR, HTW with patchy results and he still gets the intros he always got, again with patchy results. Certainly they try to cover for his diminished abilities with new arrangements or whatever which is surely borne out of necessity rather than malice? This is not Keith bashing btw; I can and do appreciate the lovely moments which he can still have such as the Under My Thumb solo in Hamburg or Slipping Away in Spielburg but surely we can all agree his abilities have declined.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 11:16

Unfortunately these forgetful guitar moments are becoming increasingly prevalent. It is still a Great night out but increasingly less so !

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: September 19, 2017 11:44

stone4ever
vertigojoe
In Keith's recent doc on Netflix when asked if he has friends he plays with for fun he says "Yeah they're called The Rolling Stones" but he doesn't look like he's having much fun to me. His emasculation at the hands of Chuck & Mick is just humiliating him and whether he's got too many yes men around him telling him he's still got it or whatever it is I don't know. Still, that's been the deal since '89 and having had a taste of life as a solo artist outside the gilded cage he couldn't wait to get back inside it. I guess this is the outcome.

This is what i picked up on and was trying to express, but you have explained it better than me vertigojoe. I would say it goes slightly beyond Mick and Chuck, it's the whole crew really with people like Matt. Keith has got a mutiny on his hands and he knows it. When Brown Sugar went wrong for what ever reason , the band would have always followed Keith, even up to recent tours, but this was different and Keith new it, and he got angry and upset by it. There was plenty of time for everyone to follow Keith but they just wouldn't. Off camera after he stopped playing to tell Mick or Chuck to f off, he also stopped playing again and went towards the right hand side and had a go at someone in that direction but it's not on camera.
OK Keith was all smiles by the end of BS, but it will be telling which way the band will follow on the next cock up.
I think this is arising because Keith is struggling, Keith is at a crossroads now, he needs to up his playing or he is going to lose his grip in more than one way.

I also agree that Keith possibly has yes men around him, i doubt anyone except Mick could or would say anything to keith, and Mick worked out years ago that keith would never follow an order or take much notice.
Keith is bloody minded enough to do the opposite lol.

As i say, i think this will cause keith to up his game, it was the bands way of telling him we are not following you.
Keith needs to recapture respect from the band and the only way he can do that is to play better.

I sure hope so.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 12:53

Yes men for sure...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2017 12:59

keefriff99
matxil
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQEbL1IAx8
LOL! Oh wow...Charlie and Bill's reactions were priceless.

smiling smiley
One of those rare smiles from Bill...
I also like that huge grin of Ronnie when things are back on track again.
More of a wry smirk...like, "Can you believe the shit I have to put up with??"

Just re-watched it. Bill's reaction shot is pure perfection. How can you not love that guy?

There are a number of things I don't like about Bill, but that smirk is gold.
I have seen that She's So Cold trainwreck loads of times, and I still love everything about it. It's like opening a Swiss watch and see how it all falls apart if the pieces are slightly misplaced. And how it all comes back together again, because of rhythm (in this case thanks to Mick).
For me, it's lightyears away from the clips I have seen from their recent concerts, but fair enough, to each his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 13:12 by matxil.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2017 13:12

DandelionPowderman

If that one rocks, how come the Spielberg BS doesn't? Both fall apart, for the very same musical reasons.

No, they don't.
SSC falls apart because Keith is overdoing the Chuck Berry-approach (i.e. the hickupping of the riff), which confuses Charlie so he comes in out of phase, Keith tries to emphasise again by syncoping the rhythm, Charlie still doesn't know how to correct and then Mick does his "I´m so hot of her, I´m so hot of her" thing repeatedly to bring things back on track.
BS falls apart because they play it way too slow (I don't care if the speed is the same as on the original, the drive&groove is slow and tired), Keith plays the riff weak, not clear, seems to be struggling, Charlie is following the directions of Chuck (as he should, because it's the only way to keep the show going), Ronnie is trying hard to make things work (hats off to him, he's in an awful position) and Mick jumps in after Charlie's drum roll (which is one bar too soon, but if he would have waited God knows if he'd have had another chance) and then they sort of slow-waltz the thing to its sad end.

Date: September 19, 2017 13:17

matxil
DandelionPowderman

If that one rocks, how come the Spielberg BS doesn't? Both fall apart, for the very same musical reasons.

No, they don't.
SSC falls apart because Keith is overdoing the Chuck Berry-approach (i.e. the hickupping of the riff), which confuses Charlie so he comes in out of phase, Keith tries to emphasise again by syncoping the rhythm, Charlie still doesn't know how to correct and then Mick does his "I´m so hot of her, I´m so hot of her" thing repeatedly to bring things back on track.
BS falls apart because they play it way too slow (I don't care if the speed is the same as on the original, the drive&groove is slow and tired), Keith plays the riff weak, not clear, seems to be struggling, Charlie is following the directions of Chuck (as he should, because it's the only way to keep the show going), Ronnie is trying hard to make things work (hats off to him, he's in an awful position) and Mick jumps in after Charlie's drum roll (which is one bar too soon, but if he would have waited God knows if he'd have had another chance) and then they sort of slow-waltz the thing to its sad end.

That's exactly what Keith is doing on Brown Sugar as well: Turning the beat around by craving more timespace for his riff than the bars allow to. Charlie can't/doesn't dare to follow it.

I'm not being digfficult here. It's indeed the same that happens. It has nothing to do with the tempo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 13:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 13:19

DandelionPowderman
ouroux58

What you do now is to cherry pick moments in the show, when you say he can't play anymore. By watching a whole show, you'll find that your statement is inaccurate at best smiling smiley

And you could pay at the end of the show only for the good moments. Satisfait ou remboursé. smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home