Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 53
Keith Richards guitar playing comments
Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 08:58

I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar

Keith can't play guitar anymore, lets face it. Arthritis or age or hitting his head. It's over people. I love the band as much as anyone but he can't do it. Watching recent shows is excruciating , I am embarrassed for him . It time to retire gracefully. Most songs now he is simplifying his part until it's virtually non existent. Recent gimme shelter intros , last shows beast of burden are clear evidence. Check out midnight rambler from Munich his tentative playing almost makes it collapse , maybe the worst version I have ever heard. And his guitar solos OMG. listen to honky tony women solos from Hamburg or Munich and say I m negative. I am objective. Also the way he strokes the fretboard searching for what to play constantly is a worry. Keith has been one of the greatest rock stars of all time and it has to end one day . That day has come , unfortunately. Ok I have had my say. Now let me have it . I know some people on this forum cant tolerate a less than glowing review, and are sycophantic , well I am not. Dean goodmans review from Munich was spot on , Keith showed up , he was there but barely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 11:38 by bv.

Re: I am not Not negative just objective Keith can barely play guitar
Date: September 14, 2017 09:08

It's live music. Keith has always sometimes screwed his solos, especially intros. But he is still the king, his riffs and timing is unique and usually strong.

Sympathy [www.youtube.com]
Brown Sugar [www.youtube.com]

Also blues numbers (Just your fool, ride em on down] sound great. Gimme Shelter from Munich has been very good.

Keith knows what he is doing. Yes he is old. But he is there, feels the music and can rock hard. Just listen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 09:14 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:22

I am listening, and it is live music and mistakes happen but this is a skill issue and Keith is losing his skill on guitar . Simpler songs like just your fool he is adequate not great.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:23

Your criticism sounds fair to me, not the negativity and hateread actually in many cases spread on this forum in the past few days. I have only seen YouTube videos so far and I generally enjoy them a lot, being aware of the fact, that Keith has his best days past him. I am not deaf of course. But I don't really wanna judge either way before I see the show in person, which will be soon and I am really excited. Again, I think your personal view is fair.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:24

Anitapal82
Keith can't play guitar anymore, lets face it. Arthritis or age or hitting his head. It's over people. I love the band as much as anyone but he can't do it. Watching recent shows is excruciating , I am embarrassed for him . It time to retire gracefully. Most songs now he is simplifying his part until it's virtually non existent. Recent gimme shelter intros , last shows beast of burden are clear evidence. Check out midnight rambler from Munich his tentative playing almost makes it collapse , maybe the worst version I have ever heard. And his guitar solos OMG. listen to honky tony women solos from Hamburg or Munich and say I m negative. I am objective. Also the way he strokes the fretboard searching for what to play constantly is a worry. Keith has been one of the greatest rock stars of all time and it has to end one day . That day has come , unfortunately. Ok I have had my say. Now let me have it . I know some people on this forum cant tolerate a less than glowing review, and are sycophantic , well I am not. Dean goodmans review from Munich was spot on , Keith showed up , he was there but barely.

ha..I tend to agree, it is quite sad. The Stones should modify his role in the band, perhaps give him an acoustic guitar instead.

But watch out for all the snipers who will call you every abusive name under the sun (and get away with it). You are on borrowed time...
IORR...!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:25

jumpingjackflash5
It's live music. Keith has always sometimes screwed his solos, especially intros. But he is still the king, his riffs and timing is unique and usually strong.

Sympathy [www.youtube.com]
Brown Sugar [www.youtube.com]

Request for clarification, please: are those examples of him playing well or poorly? Screwing solos or riffing strongly?

Date: September 14, 2017 09:27

Yes Eleanor rigby I just put a big target on my head.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:28

This is the kind of posting that pushes me strong on the side of the cheering no matter what fan instead of convincing me. "I am objective" followed by an absolute statement. I will see in person on this tour, by now from all the very clips from Munich I see some rusty Keith and some good Keith, and a band of seventiyears old guys that can still put a pretty good r n r show. Hamburg I was not very happy with in general and I would have probably go home unsatisfued. judgig from yt clips... This is my take not objective. I am not the type that confronts the last yt video clip with ladies and gentleman. I like to have fun. I have fun with the stones. professional journalists are not the Verb but it is good when they do their job earnestly and with no bias whatever that may be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 09:33 by maumau.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:30

In my opinion on those tracks (and many others) his playing contributes to band's sound well.

When he screws up some intro or part of the songs in majority of cases he makes it better next show or even during that song he plays extended guitar later.

Yes his skills are not the same as they were 20 years ago.

But I do not think it is a problem that calls for solving or big criticism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 09:31 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:33

hey, dont play the part of the victim Antipal... you have proposed your take on the issue the way you wanted to: labelling OBJECTIVE.
You are no target for me, but you can't expect that one simply accept your view just because you say it's objective winking smiley

and yes the only objective thing here is keith's age. I do see that and consider that. But I also see other things in the stones show, if you don't it is your pov and I respect that, as that, a pov

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 09:39 by maumau.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:37

You are entitled to your opinion.but i think there has been to much unfair hatred and Keef bashing the last few days.true he is not as good as in 1972 but then neither are we.the stones are getting old but so are we.we cant have sex like we did in 1972 can we.stones music is like sex to me.its rock n roll still divine and glorious and rough and it gives us happiness.the stones still give us these things and i am grateful for that.i think people have to show respect to Keef and be happy he is still with the stones snd with us.
Maybe he loses a bit of his touch but most times he rocks like hell.we all lose our touch cause we get old.
I will see the stones 3 more times this year and am happy Keef will rock us.please be fair and not put hate in your hearts.its only rock n roll and the stones music builds on roughness not on perfection.
Jeroen

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:44

Maybe the band should just treat Richards as they treated Brian Jones at Rock'n Roll Circus 1968. Turn him down and give him a tambourine from time to time

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2017 09:46

"Arthritis or age or hitting his head".

A combination of all of the above.

It used to be his gnarled fingers caused worry amongst fans, then hitting his head was a major scare (which he still takes medication for), and now the fact that he's a ripe old 73+.
Put them all together, and it is what it is. I suggest enjoying whatever's left now, because none of the above will reverse themselves.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:54

They are old! Charlie is playing less (and stiffer), Ronnie's leads are ok, but his rhythm playing is hit and miss, Keith is unpredictable and Mick forgets words/has problems with his timing (because of bad hearing?).

In spite of all the above, they still manage to put on a GREAT show. That's quite an accomplishment.

And I don't wanna hear the «they have to be professional to charge us that kind of money»-argument. It's us who want to go see them, not them who are forcing us to the stadiums. Supply and demand.

All the criticism that comes now, could have been said in 2002. Still, they're out there doing their best, and tens of thousands love it everynight.

So, who's right? A keyboard warrior with supposed superior skills or musical udnerstanding, or the people who went to the shows and enjoyed themselves.

It's music, not an exam.

Date: September 14, 2017 09:55

corriecas
You are entitled to your opinion.but i think there has been to much unfair hatred and Keef bashing the last few days.true he is not as good as in 1972 but then neither are we.the stones are getting old but so are we.we cant have sex like we did in 1972 can we.stones music is like sex to me.its rock n roll still divine and glorious and rough and it gives us happiness.the stones still give us these things and i am grateful for that.i think people have to show respect to Keef and be happy he is still with the stones snd with us.
Maybe he loses a bit of his touch but most times he rocks like hell.we all lose our touch cause we get old.
I will see the stones 3 more times this year and am happy Keef will rock us.please be fair and not put hate in your hearts.its only rock n roll and the stones music builds on roughness not on perfection.
Jeroen

That's right! smiling smiley

Date: September 14, 2017 10:11

Anitapal82
last shows beast of burden are clear evidence.

BTW Beast of Burden was vote song - that means greater chance for imperfection generally.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:17

DandelionPowderman
They are old! Charlie is playing less (and stiffer), Ronnie's leads are ok, but his rhythm playing is hit and miss, Keith is unpredictable and Mick forgets words/has problems with his timing (because of bad hearing?).

In spite of all the above, they still manage to put on a GREAT show. That's quite an accomplishment.

And I don't wanna hear the «they have to be professional to charge us that kind of money»-argument. It's us who want to go see them, not them who are forcing us to the stadiums. Supply and demand.

All the criticism that comes now, could have been said in 2002. Still, they're out there doing their best, and tens of thousands love it everynight.

So, who's right? A keyboard warrior with supposed superior skills or musical udnerstanding, or the people who went to the shows and enjoyed themselves.

It's music, not an exam.

Sorry, that is a perfect description of a retirement home of old musicians pretending they could do what they did in their peak. But it should be no criterion for the quality of music that the musicians are still alive after leaving the stage.

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:21

Hairball

It used to be his gnarled fingers caused worry amongst fans, then hitting his head was a major scare (which he still takes medication for), and now the fact that he's a ripe old 73+.
Put them all together, and it is what it is. I suggest enjoying whatever's left now, because none of the above will reverse themselves.

They don't adjust the ticket price accordingly though - you're still paying top dollar for what is a massively compromised product due to Keith's condition. I genuinely worry for some of the posters in the Munich thread who were claiming some of the playing was his "best ever", and I think this feeds the band's attitude to Keith's performances. Its good enough that he turns up, throws some shapes and gets 30% of the chords right. Its embarrassing, its chipping away at their fantastic legacy bit by bit, and making a few people very rich at our expense.

Date: September 14, 2017 10:25

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman

It's music, not an exam.

Sorry, that is a perfect description of a retirement home of old musicians pretending they could do what they did in their peak. But it should be no criterion for the quality of music that the musicians are still alive after leaving the stage.

My point was that it isn't, really. In spite of all the above, they put on a show that ten thousands of people love.

It's not possible to take away from that experience.

If you think it sounds bad on your computer, so be it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:25

Another desperate cry for attention from the "Let's Euthanize the Stones Brigade" followed by the inevitable defense from the "I Can't Stand the Stones but I Waste Hours Each Day on a Stones Messageboard" Contingent. One imagines they are eagerly awaiting having their rights to wind people up infringed upon by the intolerant moderator. But what can a poor boy do except troll fans of a rock 'n roll band because in sleepy IORR there's just no place for a Stones bashing fan, no.

Date: September 14, 2017 10:37

Tricky76
Hairball

They don't adjust the ticket price accordingly though - you're still paying top dollar for what is a massively compromised product due to Keith's condition. I genuinely worry for some of the posters in the Munich thread who were claiming some of the playing was his "best ever", and I think this feeds the band's attitude to Keith's performances. Its good enough that he turns up, throws some shapes and gets 30% of the chords right. Its embarrassing, its chipping away at their fantastic legacy bit by bit, and making a few people very rich at our expense.

Totally agree, and it's possible that some of those people who claim "best ever" don't want to admit to or face the reality of Keith's diminishing skills after investing a lot their time and money to go see them. Either that, or they just don't know any better. As I mentioned in another thread that while I would happily see them again if the come to my area (Southern Califonia), I would never pay the outrageous prices they've been charging the last several tours over here. I paid $250 for a floor seat on stubhub the day of the Vegas show (which was originalyly $750+ face value), yet I still felt bit shortchanged. But when the Stones are in my neck of the woods- regardless of the current declining condition they happen to be in -I will make an effort to be there (but on my own terms). It's become a tradition for me since 1981, and it will be a sad day when that option is no longer there.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:37

I am not negative, just objective. Karl Denson can barely play saxophone. He sounds nothing like Bobby. How hard is it to play "Brown Sugar?" This is proof those noises he makes aren't jazz. He is an embarrassment. Please have Matt Clifford lend him his triangle to play. And possibly dress him in a speedo because that would look better when I watch snippets of songs on Youtube.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:38

jumpingjackflash5
corriecas
Jeroen

That's right! smiling smiley

Not quite: in 1972 my sexual capacities existed of playing doctor with the girl next
door. I've had the luck to take it to a bit higher level from about the time Dirty Work
was reaching the shops (yeah, sweet memories).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: September 14, 2017 10:39

Rocky Dijon
I am not negative, just objective. Karl Denson can barely play saxophone. He sounds nothing like Bobby. How hard is it to play "Brown Sugar?" This is proof those noises he makes aren't jazz. He is an embarrassment. Please have Matt Clifford lend him his triangle to play. And possibly dress him in a speedo because that would look better when I watch snippets of songs on Youtube.

grinning smiley

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:41

Anitapal82

Totaly agree with you. On these board, many guys are now autistic. More Keith will make mistakes, more he will be the King of riff and rock'n'roll, rebel etc, for these guys.
In the past I would have already get tickets in my pocket for the 3 paris shows and perhaps one or two more in other countries but at this day, I always waiting to know what I will do when they'll arrive in Paris.

Date: September 14, 2017 10:50

ouroux58
Anitapal82

Totaly agree with you. On these board, many guys are now autistic. More Keith will make mistakes, more he will be the King of riff and rock'n'roll, rebel etc, for these guys.
In the past I would have already get tickets in my pocket for the 3 paris shows and perhaps one or two more in other countries but at this day, I always waiting to know what I will do when they'll arrive in Paris.

I could have understood this if I went to the gig, I had no friends, I was shown to a single booth (where I couldn't see or hear anyone else), was handed a headset and my main objective was to analyse the show: bar by bar, note by note etc...

However, when seeing live music with a group of friends, a few sour guitar notes won't take away from the overall experience.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:53

ouroux58
Anitapal82

Sadly,so do i..i tought they would never become a band that plays like this,its hard to admit myself that days are over now,i love them touring and always been excited and i was even now,its a bit like loosing a family member.I think if they still wanna play,they should forget masses,and play 80min sets in theatres,few rocking numbers and acoustic set including mostly mid/half tempo songs,not like this,its very sad really.But after reading Dean Goodmans review.Theres a man whos review i can trust.

Date: September 14, 2017 10:56

marko
ouroux58
Anitapal82

Sadly,so do i..i tought they would never become a band that plays like this,its hard to admit myself that days are over now,i love them touring and always been excited and i was even now,its a bit like loosing a family member.I think if they still wanna play,they should forget masses,and play 80min sets in theatres,few rocking numbers and acoustic set including mostly mid/half tempo songs,not like this,its very sad really.But after reading Dean Goodmans review.Theres a man whos review i can trust.

Like Keith, Dean makes mistakes as well:

«"Under My Thumb," in particular seemed to be delivered at 17 rpm speed»

Thing is, reviews are subjective. It might be that UMT bored Dean, but there was nothing wrong with the tempo, and Keith has always played those Motown-licks on that tune (even live in 1966).

Here's the comparison, btw:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 11:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 10:58

To deny reality is also a psycholigic reflex.
For some here, losing the Stones is losing a bit - a lot of them as well. And this is unbearable for them. Above their strength.
It means also to consider a future without Stones on stage.
So some here minimize reality.
They also relativize, and they are right, it is only music. And 2 hours of concert during it is possible to have fun, of course !
There were errors in 1969 or 1972 no ? Nothing new... eye popping smiley... confused smiley... grinning smiley
As if the overall Stones musical level was the same at this time... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
Surrealist.

But this position is understandable. I do not blame anyone.
I do not discuss it anymore, you noticed it at least ? smileys with beer
It's hard to let go something you're so attached to...
Have fun on this Tour. smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 11:01 by powerage78.

Date: September 14, 2017 11:01

powerage78
To deny reality is also a psycholigic reflex.
For some here, losing the Stones is losing a bit - a lot of them as well. And this is unbearable for them. Above their strength.
It means also to consider a future without Stones on stage.
So some here minimize reality.
They also relativize, and they are right, it is only music. And 2 hours of concert during it is possible to have fun, of course !
There were errors in 1969 or 1972 no ? Nothing new... eye popping smiley... confused smiley... grinning smiley
As if the overall Stones musical level was the same at this time... grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
Surrealist.

But this position is understandable. I do not blame anyone.
I do not discuss it anymore, you noticed it at least ? smileys with beer
It's hard to let go something you're so attached to...

Thought provoking post powerage78!!!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home