Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Smartphones out of Order during Kick-Off Show in Hamburg
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 13, 2017 14:28

During the Hamburg show my smartphone suspended both the internet and the telephone functionality.

This went from short after 6 pm till after the end of the show.

All my neighbours whom I asked had the same problem.

Is there any sound explanation to this phenomenon?

dead.flowers

NB: I'm still on a high from the Saturday show.

Re: Smartphones out of Order during Kick-Off Show in Hamburg
Date: September 13, 2017 14:41

I thought it was just bad reception in the area?

Date: September 13, 2017 14:45

No bad reception, DP.

I had all functions very well working till short after 6 when it all went off.

d.f

There are actually areas with bad reception but to find that you have to travel at least 20 miles from the town into the thick forest.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 13, 2017 14:52

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 13, 2017 15:00

dead.flowers

No bad reception, DP.

I had a very good signal strength with the O2 network (E-Plus) in Hamburg Stadtpark, but absolutely zero Internet access.

The cellular network is a shared medium, maybe the capacity data-wise wasn't sufficient for 95,000 people at the same time.

Due to the excitement of the Tour-start I had unfortunately not tried if there was WiFi (WLAN) with free access ....

Date: September 13, 2017 15:21

Well, I also have O2 (blau.de). And there was no telephone signal at all.

With regard to the 100,00 people - police later reported about 85,000 inside and 15,000 outside the meadow - I observe that more or less same number of people were there already by about 6 and of course also after the show.

Till short after 6 both telephone and internet were excellently working and were doing so again after the show.

I neither tried for free WiFi. But who should have rendered that, why and how?

d.f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 15:25 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 13, 2017 15:42

Usually this happens because of the sheer volume of users in a small area.

Date: September 13, 2017 16:07

Silver Dagger
Usually this happens because of the sheer volume of users in a small area.

That does not explain why it all worked fine till say 6:15 and again after the show, with approximately the same volume of user.

d.f

Posted by: majomuc ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:07

Same problem in Munich yesterday. But to my experience it was quite bad in the past during other shows there as well.

But it seems Stones fans use their Internet connections more than others ;-)

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:14

It happens to me quite often at San Siro during Milan's football games. Probably it is not so much the amount of people on the spot, as how many of them are using the phone at the same time.

C

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 13, 2017 21:50

At the Olympiastadion in Berlin in 2006, I was able to call my brother in the states and let him hear part of the show.

But I wonder in the case of Hamburg if someone did not deliberately shut things down to prevent the transmission/streaming of the show via Periscope, etc. But as I think of it, probably not as this has been going on for what, the last two years at Stones shows. I guess that answers that.

plexi

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: September 14, 2017 04:53

During the Hamburg show many people here remarked that there was no periscoping going on. Maybe now we know why?
Possibly related, I was at the Charlottesville VA show on the ABB tour. The show was interrupted by a bomb scare. The band quickly left the stadium (we were in the on stage boxes and saw them leave) and the stage area was searched for the (thankfully) non-existant bomb. During the hiatus there was no cellular signal available - presumably to prevent any possible phone based detonation. It was later reported that the police shut down the cell carriers in the vicinity.
I'll take my tinfoil hat off now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 04:56 by ElGeordie.

Date: September 14, 2017 13:58

timbernardis
At the Olympiastadion in Berlin in 2006, I was able to call my brother in the states and let him hear part of the show.

But I wonder in the case of Hamburg if someone did not deliberately shut things down to prevent the transmission/streaming of the show via Periscope, etc. But as I think of it, probably not as this has been going on for what, the last two years at Stones shows. I guess that answers that.

plexi

Right, at the HSH Nordbank Arena stadium in Hamburg 2007 I played Ruby Tuesday over my handy to my mother, the sound was crystal clear.

Someone deliberately shutting it all down, that was my original idea. Serving whom and for what purpose seems clear. But which authority could and would actually do that? And on behalf of the Rolling Stones? Sounds unreal. But?

d.f

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 14, 2017 14:30

dead.flowers

But which authority could and would actually do that?

Maybe the Police - to prevent an attack via distant control ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 14:35 by Irix.

Date: September 14, 2017 14:33

timbernardis

plexi

Probably, more of the equipment for the show uses bandwidth and the wireless networks than back in 2006?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 14, 2017 17:07

well it's obvious to some of us that the robots are taking over.I mean the stage looks like four huge cellphones sort of like the monolith in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Stanley Kubrick tried to warn us.same here as the 1969 tour.you think the robot Gods didn't set that up?well there's a river in Egypt and they call it De Nile.

Date: September 14, 2017 17:09

down there jamming the freaking Airwaves!fortunately there's going to be an option so you can meet and greet your cell phone provider.there will be an extra charge, but after all this is history.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:35

If all the bandwidth was shut down then how did that Facebook live transmission get out of Munich?

Date: September 14, 2017 18:40

Green Lady
If all the bandwidth was shut down then how did that Facebook live transmission get out of Munich?

Well, Munich is Munich and was Tuesday.

And Hamburg is Hamburg and was Saturday.

Different places and dates, 500 miles and three days apart from each other.

d.f

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:45

Green Lady

Not only that Facebook streaming but the photos posted on Instagram and Twitter as well.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:59

does anyone remember the time we didnt had cellphones? smiling smiley

you may remember those smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 19:00 by MononoM.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:28

if they dicovered a way to switch all cell phones off, the next Nobel prize is theirs!
I hate people holding smart phones before my eyes to record the show

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 23:55

While governments and local law enforcement agencies absolutely do have the ability to "turn off" cellphone access in a particular area (ostensibly for "security reasons" in a crisis), I cannot imagine it happening around a sporting or entertainment event to prevent piracy or unauthorized transmissions.

I suppose anything's possible; just seems unlikely that a Rolling Stones concert (unless of course there were a bomb threat or heaven forbid some other kind of 'event') would rise to the level of that kind of governmental interference.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 15, 2017 00:03

*fingerprint file
C'mon, did we really think we'd get to cash in/ get their full shows LIVE
for free? We've already taken away musicians ability to make money off new recordings.
I sound mature for a second, but I have tickets for a No Filter show (!!)
Truthfully, I thought the more I watch the tour wifi live I could desensitize myself for Paris.
When I lost connection for Munich and everybody else still was connected
I realized I have indeed matured NOT.
My kid's soccer games on Saturday showtimes anyway.
"I did't want to come, anyway" GGAG

EDIT: "I didn't want to come, anyway" ENGLAND LOST

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 18:37 by 35love.

Date: September 15, 2017 03:05

slewan
if they dicovered a way to switch all cell phones off, the next Nobel prize is theirs!
I hate people holding smart phones before my eyes to record the show
thats a long-time done deal by now actually. I think it's the neutron bomb. Some kind of deal that doesn't destroy buildings and real estate. Just sort of wiped out all life. But also wipes out the satellite and electronic transmission pretty effectively and immediately.I'm sure by now they can easily Target small or large perimeters as they choose in terms of turning off anything or anyone they choose. That being said, well Rock on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 03:09 by hopkins.

Posted by: ron091 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 05:13

Unfortunately, with or without cell service, thousands are still going to hold the damn things up and take endless videos and pictures. Makes me think fondly of the good old days when none of this technology existed at concerts and the only thing you worried about having in front of you was Sasquatch.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 15, 2017 05:29

This is interesting because phone and cell service have been unavailable at nearly every large show I've been at, I thought it was a well-known phenomenon (for which I don't know the technical reason).

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 07:39

Here are some pro tips; won't allow you to Periscope, but just might allow you to get a call out when most cell towers are overloaded:

[www.reddit.com]

Date: September 15, 2017 13:50

MononoM
does anyone remember the time we didnt had cellphones? smiling smiley

you may remember those smiling smiley

you may remember those

Yes, I do remeber them very well.

dead.flowers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home