Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27
Re: Munich Germany 12-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:34

Have there ever been a Stones gig without any mistakes and bum notes? This is live music by real people, Everybody does mistakes now and then. Enjoy it or listen to a computer.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:48

We could mention several cases of mistakes or “frozen” moments, from the past. For example, in 1989 at Toronto Keith didn’t play (at all…) a part of intro of “One Hit To the Body” and the band became stupefied for 2- 3 moments. During “B2B” tour, in Athens, Mick started singing “Satisfaction” being completely out of tune. I have heard wrong notes even on a Pink Floyd gig (in 1989)… And all of us know that PF is the absolute “we try to play what exactly studio version does sound” band.

But, now, some Stones fans are making drama all these details. Why? IMO, due anxiety, coming from the fear that our boys are – or become- “too old to R’n’ R”. A mistake in 1978 (and there were many, then!), 1981, 1990, or even 1999 and 2003 was simply an additional proof that this charming celebration called “live performances” has an absolutely human nature (unless it’s based on playback…). Now, a mistake “becomes” a sign that “Keith has lost his mind”, etc, etc. The band puts on really good performances, staying at high level despite the age of it’s members, but some of us are counting “frozen” seconds and coming to “dramatic” conclusions …

Folks, these days we’re seeing some of the last of the most brilliant pages ever written on Rock History’s book. The pages written by the Stones. My suggestion is: Enjoy it, with open eyes, open ears and open soul...

PS : Please, enough is enough with the childish clishe that so many people fill stadiums to attended the Stones ONLY “for nostalgic reasons and not for the music”. Especially in these days, very few people are willing to pay expensive prices (sometimes annoying prices, I have to admit), if they don’t expect two factors to be real: (a) Songs that they like or love and (b) Songs played well. To say that huge crowds, who attend the Stones again and again (from 2 to.. 22 times), are indifferent to the musical quality of the gigs it’s simply preposterous.

After every Stones gig attended by me, I have seen smiling, happy, absolutely satisfied faces around (I don’t mention the reviews on the Press which are positive or enthousiastic at percentages of 80- 90%). Allow me to believe that this satisfaction has somewhat to do with the music. Unless some of us believe that the basic prerequisite for have someone good taste and ability to judging performances, is to screaming all the time “bring back Mick Tayor” and “bring back Wyman”. And, on the break times between all these “bring”, to accuse the Stones of being a …“nostalgia act”. Sorry, I don’t buy it…

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:52

paulstones
No Lisa No Shelter

Don't know if this has been said already but does this mean all 1969, 1972-75 Shelters were no good?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:54

What do you make of this?

Charlie keeps on drumming without a sound to be heard after the ending of Sympathy. This is clearly visible on the big screen.

Airdrumming is the only conclusion. See here:

video: [youtu.be]

I remember on an earlier Tour Charlie just left his drums during Sympathy. Can't remember where. So in fact no news I guess.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 13, 2017 16:58

GeorgV
Have there ever been a Stones gig without any mistakes and bum notes? This is live music by real people, Everybody does mistakes now and then. Enjoy it or listen to a computer.

Perfect people never make mistakes. I guess some do believe the stones are in their 20s or 30s. They are all 70+ so for those who forgot: Please give it a break. They do mistakes but it is not like they are starting a nuclear war. If you pay 700 euro and get to the front and resllize keith do a mistanf on gimme shelter so you want a refund then you have either been sleepong in class or you have been hoping for too much. It is rock and roll and it is rhythm and blues and it is with theit heart an soul. If that is not enough then stay at homf save the money and play ya jas or brussels affairs i.e. old livealbums. But they have errors too!

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 17:00 by bv.

Date: September 13, 2017 16:59

No Bryan, No real Stones
No Taylor, No real Stones Part2
No Stewart, no great piano
No Wyman, no real Stones part3
No Bobby, no great sax

No nagging, no IORR site?

Date: September 13, 2017 17:02

Just a thought coming from the phrase "No Lisa, No Shelter"...

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:05

The one constant I have noticed with these first 2 concerts from the FB and Youtube videos is the quality of playing on the Blue and Lonesome numbers. The band seems to relax and just play naturally. While it is a pity that Bill and Stu are no longer in the mix, those blues numbers are the essence of that unique Stones live sound.

Give Keith some warmer weather and he will probably up his game. Ronnie has really stepped up in a big way to my ears.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:08

laertisflash
No Bryan, No real Stones
No Taylor, No real Stones Part2
No Stewart, no great piano
No Wyman, no real Stones part3
No Bobby, no great sax

No nagging, no IORR site?

No Bryan? (sic) not a real fan

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:09

I was listening to the 2 Blue & Lonesome tracks last night and am really looking forward to hearing them live (Amsterdam). Yes - they just sound like the Stones, relaxing and playing their natural rhythm. Exciting stuff!

Date: September 13, 2017 17:10

You mean, I wrote "Bryan" instead of "Brian"?

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:10

I want BOTH Under My Thumb and Beast Of Burden in the forthcoming setlists!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:19

RipThisBone

Charlie keeps on drumming without a sound to be heard after the ending of Sympathy. This is clearly visible on the big screen.

I remember on an earlier Tour Charlie just left his drums during Sympathy. Can't remember where. So in fact no news I guess.

Alternate conclusion: The video and audio are out of sync on this video. Not only did the video make it look like Charlie continuing after the ending, it did the same for Keith.

By coincidence, the video that followed the one you linked (my auto play setting is turned on in youtube) was a different version of the same song. I fast forwarded to the ending and, same exact video but in sync with the audio.

Watch the last few seconds and compare the video to what you're hearing here: [www.youtube.com]

Yes there is sequenced percussion on the track, but not air drums or air guitar.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: September 13, 2017 17:24

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 17:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:32

mr_dja
RipThisBone

Alternate conclusion: The video and audio are out of sync on this video. Not only did the video make it look like Charlie continuing after the ending, it did the same for Keith.

By coincidence, the video that followed the one you linked (my auto play setting is turned on in youtube) was a different version of the same song. I fast forwarded to the ending and, same exact video but in sync with the audio.

Watch the last few seconds and compare the video to what you're hearing here: [www.youtube.com]

Yes there is sequenced percussion on the track, but not air drums or air guitar.

Peace,
Mr DJA

thumbs up Thank You!
That's the reason. There are some little skips in the beginning of the video I sent which cause the out of sync. thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 13, 2017 17:34

Laertisflash PS : Please, enough is enough with the childish clishe that so many people fill stadiums to attended the Stones ONLY “for nostalgic reasons and not for the music”.

I think most people go to see the Stones because the Stones have a fantastic reputation for delivering the best Rock And Roll show in the world.

I also think people go to see them because this could be the last time. Its been that way since 81'

Lots of people go to see them because they love them, they want to see Mick with Keith, they want the Rolling Stones not anything else.

Most of all people go because they are fascinating, because they are so old and keep on going, they are a miracle. That these 4 men who have been through so much are still together and playing stadium Rock. Its never been done at this age, they are unique, they are Rocking out powerful LOUD rock music. This is hard at 70+ Who else does it ?? people want to witness it while they still can.

Its also fair to say that some people go because they can afford to, its like a status symbol, they might not be big fans of the Stones but they want to say that they have been to a Stones concert once in their lifetime. These people don't make so much noise and they don't clap and cheer so hard.
I think this is why some audiences are not so enthusiastic as they were in 89' or 90' Don't forget audiences are getting older too, we don't have the energy to jump up and down like in 89' lol.

Now nostalgia plays a part in many of those people that go to see the Stones, they want to hear JJF and HTW and Satisfaction. They know and love those tunes, those songs are part of their lives and history, they are connected to their memories and loves.

What is amazing, after all these years, is that they are in as much demand today as they ever have been. This is a phenomenon, this is history being made as we speak.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 17:49 by stone4ever.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2017 18:33

RipThisBone

I noticed at the both shows (Hamburg and Munich) that the video screens sometimes seem to be a little late. I was in the No Filter Pit at both shows and was thus able to see the real action. For example: sometimes Keith had already take his hand off his guitar and the video screens showed him still playing.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2017 18:36

I don't know if it was already mentioned. After we saw zero interaction between Jagger and Richards in Hamburg, there was at least some interaction in Munich. Once (before one of the blues numbers) Keith handed Mick the harmonica and Mick replyed "thank you" (should be hearable on the bootlegs). Some time later Keith put his arm around Mick's shoulder. But after that no more visible interaction followed for the rest of the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 18:37 by slewan.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 13, 2017 18:58

I think this board should split in two.

Posted by: Boarder ()
Date: September 13, 2017 18:59

slewan
RipThisBone

I noticed at the both shows (Hamburg and Munich) that the video screens sometimes seem to be a little late. I was in the No Filter Pit at both shows and was thus able to see the real action. For example: sometimes Keith had already take his hand off his guitar and the video screens showed him still playing.

They most likely do this on purpose. If you are 100 meters away form the stage, the sound will be delayed. If the video was in sync with the sound near the stage, it would for most people be out of sync since they are standing/sitting further behind. They therefore slightly delay the videos so that for most of the audience it is in sync with the sound they hear.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 13, 2017 19:21

I think that investigating why people go to see the Rolling Stones concerts is a bit absurd. I think if you want to listen to technically demanding music Rolling Stones is not for you, not today but forever! I'm going to see the Rolling Stones concerts because they can still excite me, everything else is boring. A Charlie drum shot, a Keith riff, a Ronnie solo, and Mick's voice is what it takes for a bit of rock and roll mistakes included for the glory of rock! Mixed Emotions!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 19:36

Vor 70 000 Fans spielen die Rolling Stones im Münchner Olympiastadion - Ticketpreise hin oder her. Dafür hat der Frontman sich eine spezielle Begrüßung ausgedacht

[www.sueddeutsche.de]

______

"Rolling Stones" in München: Tollkühnes Tänzchen mit dem Tod

[m.augsburger-allgemeine.de]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 19:39 by powerage78.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: September 13, 2017 19:37

bv
GeorgV

Perfect people never make mistakes. I guess some do believe the stones are in their 20s or 30s. They are all 70+ so for those who forgot: Please give it a break. They do mistakes but it is not like they are starting a nuclear war. If you pay 700 euro and get to the front and resllize keith do a mistanf on gimme shelter so you want a refund then you have either been sleepong in class or you have been hoping for too much. It is rock and roll and it is rhythm and blues and it is with theit heart an soul. If that is not enough then stay at homf save the money and play ya jas or brussels affairs i.e. old livealbums. But they have errors too!

I was at Hamburg and Munich and enjoyed both gigs, would not have missed any. Well worth my costs. Reading the negative comments make me wonder if I was at the same gig ( or if those with these strong negative opinions were at the gig at all) If there is a mistake I forget it and focus on the good stuff. It is a part of live experience. Majority of the audience do not notice. No one mentioned Keiths good playing, likr Dancing with Mr. D, or the orher times he played well, like most of the time ( or maybe I was to excited and happy to notice anything else)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 20:15 by GeorgV.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:06

slewan
I don't know if it was already mentioned. After we saw zero interaction between Jagger and Richards in Hamburg, there was at least some interaction in Munich. Once (before one of the blues numbers) Keith handed Mick the harmonica and Mick replyed "thank you" (should be hearable on the bootlegs). Some time later Keith put his arm around Mick's shoulder. But after that no more visible interaction followed for the rest of the show

There was interaction in Hamburg - in the midddle of one song (I can't remember which) Mick and Keith were talking and laughing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:11

stone4ever
Eleanor Rigby
hopkins
well i've written a review but can't post it here; don't want the slings and arrows; nor to have to defend it; it was pretty good assessment from my purview; suffice to say I don't think they are paying attention to things that used to be safely naturally assumed were their priorties.

Mate please do. Would love to hear it..and seriously I cant believe this forum has come to the point where a learned poster with an objective review now fears for retribution about writing a review! AMAZING

+1 thumbs up

+2 thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:21

StonedRambler
One of my favourite moments of the show was when Keith picked up Micks harmonica for Just You Fool and walked to him to hand it over with a big grin in his face. Mick seemed suprised but just answeared with a dry "thank you very much"
Unfortunately there's no close up video of that yet, but you can see it a bit in the beginning of this clip:
[www.youtube.com]
Keith tried a lot to cheer up Mick, but Micks seems to ignore him a bit. Maybe it has to do with the whole thing that Keith refused Micks songs?

Those video screens are very nice!! >grinning smiley<

Date: September 13, 2017 20:21

john lomax
slewan

There was interaction in Hamburg - in the midddle of one song (I can't remember which) Mick and Keith were talking and laughing.

Just Your Fool. Right before the bridge.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:25

Roadster32
Boys and girls,
I am sick and tired of reading posts about Keith @#$%& up this and that. Yesterday Mick @#$%& up YCAGWYW by singing the same verse two times in a row. Nobody mentions this; why? Just to clarify the point: this is live music. Have you critics ever played an instrument? If you want perfection go and buy a cd but don't go to a live gig. Imperfection is part of the show. No musician is perfect. Even the studio recordings are corrected by softwaretools like pro toos or logic pro. The possibilties are countless. You are able to correct every single note to make it sound perfect. If the musician would be perfect players you would not need these tools. I prefer a certain imperfection at live shows. This makes the music lifely and human and not robotic.
Just my two cents to this topic.

I don't think anyone here expects perfection from a Stones show - they've never been "perfect" live.
What most people familiar with the band want to see and hear is at least some competence, and it seems the Stones are still capable of that to some degree given their old age.

But curious as to how they come across live to someone whose only familiar with the studio versions - the uninitiated general masses. Take Sympathy for example - drum loops and all. It's so different now than the studio version that some newbies might be taken aback. And then you have Keith playing some sort of oddball solo, there must be some confusion. Just sepculating, but the sensory overload of flashing lights and explosions might distract from the performance itself, and maybe the songs come across as exceptional...I really don't know, but suppose it could vary from one person to the next.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:49

bv
GeorgV

Always the same story Bjornulf, you are really not objective. Keith is on anothe planet, it's over for him, I'm sorry, I love his music, the guy but when you can't, you can't....
Many guys at the same age play very well and tickets prices are low. And they want to make Knebworth in one year, dramatic!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 13, 2017 20:57

RipThisBone

Doesn't show on this one.
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 22 of 27

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home