Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT The Flamin' Groovies
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: September 11, 2017 17:36

Against all odds the Groovies have just released an excellent new album (Fantastic Plastic) and are currently touring Europe, arriving at London Under The Bridge next week (September 21). As always with the Groovies a Stones-like vibe is never far away. I will be DJing (from vinyl!) so do come and say hello. I am only playing 10" and 12" singles on this occasion so Doom and Gloom and Ride Em On Down both currently on my playlist...

Re: OT The Flamin' Groovies
Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 12, 2017 05:04

I know I'm not the only Groovies fanatic on this site! They've been through a lot of incarnations and there is an amazing amount of top notch music -- so much it hurts to know how overlooked they are.

I will spring for the new Long Player!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 12, 2017 05:10

Groovies are awesome. You got the newer addition of Victor Penalosa on drums (left a really good band called The Phantoms to join)...brother of Hector Penalosa of The Zeros (currently of Baja Bugs).

The Groovies really are something hot. I still hope to see em live...but not sure I'll make a trip to LA for it.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 12, 2017 05:31

Saw them recently. They were seriously @#$%& up. Not saying it was a bad show or anything.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 12, 2017 11:15

Thanks for the heads up, I loooooove the Groovies and had no idea had reformed, let alone that they were touring! smiling bouncing smiley Just snagged a ticket. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 11:20 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 12, 2017 21:16

I'm not a major fan. I know them through my dad, who's also not a major fan. But we discovered them way later and saw they were playing 15 minutes from us about a year ago. We went. It was mildly laughable when it started but they put on a solid show. It was literally basically a basement. It was insane. It was so loud, it was a cool setlist, it is 3 out of 4 classic members which is pretty good (even though I myself prefer the earlier albums with a different singer). I'd recommend it, but fully get how weird we were going. But hey, you only live once and it was cool to see them so close, and that they're still going. Good band, I may have to check out this album.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: September 12, 2017 21:45

Cant wait to hear the new album. The cover looks amazing. Flamin Groovies play Amsterdam on September 22. at Q-Factory.

Date: September 14, 2017 06:24

They played Brooklyn last week and I had no idea -- $#!%

Date: September 14, 2017 09:23

Wry Cooter

This tour must have been a bit under the radar, I didn't get any info or alerts about it from any of my usual sites.

Date: September 14, 2017 17:10

Aquamarine
Wry Cooter

This tour must have been a bit under the radar, I didn't get any info or alerts about it from any of my usual sites.

Every time they tour it seems to be pretty under the radar, at least in the states. I usually find out (someone how I knew they were in Brooklyn, I forget whether it was Stubhub or which venue ticket site sent me an email but I was aware) so if you're subscribed to enough things you'd have heard about it. But yeah, it is pretty hard to find and kinda just luck if it comes up. Thats how I got the one when they played the basement near me. It was just totally random I got an email about it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 14, 2017 17:17

I love the Flamin groovies.

Date: September 16, 2017 18:40

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 16, 2017 18:53

Bought into their hype and bought one of their CDs and it sucked

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 16, 2017 18:58

johnnythunders
Against all odds the Groovies have just released an excellent new album (Fantastic Plastic) and are currently touring Europe, arriving at London Under The Bridge next week (September 21). As always with the Groovies a Stones-like vibe is never far away. I will be DJing (from vinyl!) so do come and say hello. I am only playing 10" and 12" singles on this occasion so Doom and Gloom and Ride Em On Down both currently on my playlist...

They're a great band. I still hope to see them live one day. Enjoy! smileys with beer

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 04:49

Hi poutus93 which cd of the groovies did you hear a lot of their songs have been re recorded in terrible a 80's production . check the early albums. Flamingo. And teenage head And you can almost forget the rest

Date: September 17, 2017 18:27

Teenage Head is great. It has an Exile On Main St feeling all over the album. I can understand why Jagger loved the album. Give it a try Potus43.

Date: September 21, 2017 18:30

Groovies London gig is tonight! In my record bag - You Don't Move 12", Doom and Gloom 10", Ride Em' On Down 10"....

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 21, 2017 18:34

johnnythunders
Groovies London gig is tonight! In my record bag - You Don't Move 12", Doom and Gloom 10", Ride Em' On Down 10"....

Play it F#@%*n' loud and enjoy! smileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2017 11:10

The Groovies were excellent last night - they encored with a version of Jumpin' In The Night that really hit the spot

My playlist here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Review to follow

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 22, 2017 12:07

johnnythunders
The Groovies were excellent last night - they encored with a version of Jumpin' In The Night that really hit the spot

My playlist here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Review to follow

What excellent sets there!!

Date: September 22, 2017 15:47

My review of last night's gig here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

The band are now in Holland, catch them if you can

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 23, 2017 03:58

I like the Loney period plenty but the Chris Wilson era is where I go. "Shake Some Action" is for me the greatest album of all time (granted with about 20 others including "Exile). "Now" and "Jumping in the Night" are one great LP between them and the "Slow Death" EP -- all classic for me. I even like a lot of the 90s "Rock Juice"/"Step Up."

Again -- for me -- great songs, arrangements, inspired playing. Fans of "weaving" should listen. Real smart guitar parts.

Date: September 23, 2017 10:30

Still a month to go but I'm starting to get really excited about this one!

Date: September 23, 2017 23:52

Wry Cooter
I like the Loney period plenty but the Chris Wilson era is where I go. "Shake Some Action" is for me the greatest album of all time (granted with about 20 others including "Exile). "Now" and "Jumping in the Night" are one great LP between them and the "Slow Death" EP -- all classic for me. I even like a lot of the 90s "Rock Juice"/"Step Up."

Again -- for me -- great songs, arrangements, inspired playing. Fans of "weaving" should listen. Real smart guitar parts.

Fair enough, and I'm far from the most knowledgable fan on the Groovies front. I think what always brought me down (and in the nicest way because I still love it) is the Wilson era has so many covers. Great covers, but the albums are literally half if not more cover songs if I remember correctly. And, again great songs, but they all start to sound the same to me. All Byrds and Beatlesish because thats what they are. They do more than a few Stones covers and they're good but its not like they're better than the Stones, whereas David Bowie can do a cover of Let's Spend The Night Together and give the original a run for its money.

I think what I like about the Looney years is its a bit more original, a bit more independent. The Wilson era, while really great and having some truly great original songs like the brilliant Shake Some Action, are largely a hodgepodge of originals and cover songs. I never hear a theme, I just hear a lot of good tunes. Which is good, but by the second and third albums becomes less special, to me at least. Having said that, I am a fan of the Groovies in full and have special sentiment for both eras.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 00:01

Anitapal82
Hi poutus93 which cd of the groovies did you hear a lot of their songs have been re recorded in terrible a 80's production . check the early albums. Flamingo. And teenage head And you can almost forget the rest

Teenage. Sorry but I found it BLAH

Date: September 25, 2017 05:22

RollingFreak
Wry Cooter

Fair enough, and I'm far from the most knowledgable fan on the Groovies front. I think what always brought me down (and in the nicest way because I still love it) is the Wilson era has so many covers. Great covers, but the albums are literally half if not more cover songs if I remember correctly. And, again great songs, but they all start to sound the same to me. All Byrds and Beatlesish because thats what they are. They do more than a few Stones covers and they're good but its not like they're better than the Stones, whereas David Bowie can do a cover of Let's Spend The Night Together and give the original a run for its money.

I think what I like about the Looney years is its a bit more original, a bit more independent. The Wilson era, while really great and having some truly great original songs like the brilliant Shake Some Action, are largely a hodgepodge of originals and cover songs. I never hear a theme, I just hear a lot of good tunes. Which is good, but by the second and third albums becomes less special, to me at least. Having said that, I am a fan of the Groovies in full and have special sentiment for both eras.

That's fair -- I think the covers on "Now" and "Jumping in the Night" are more obvious or less inspired -- "Werewolves of London"? Whereas on "Shake Some Action" they are lesser known Paul Revere and the Raiders ("Sometimes"), Lovin' Spoonful ("Let the Boy Rock and Roll") and even Beatles (Misery") where they then up the ante. Their "She Said Yeah" is pretty awesome too! I don't know their story but it seems to me the Groovies had a lacking in the ambition department. One of the reasons I love 'em!

Date: October 27, 2017 10:16

Dug up this old thread to say I caught their show last night and had a great time, and wouldn't have known about it without IORR, so many thanks! (They dedicated What the Hell's Going On from their new album to the Stones, and said that it's the kind of song the Stones ought to be still doing but aren't, but to be honest the Stones song it reminded me of most was Doom and Gloom, so . . .)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 27, 2017 19:04

Teenage Head was one of my favourite albums for years. And I used to love Shake some Action.Just a few days ago I talked with an old friend about it.

Another album/artist we were remembering was J.Thunders/ LAMF.
Somebody else posted a thread about that too.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: May 28, 2019 18:17

Flamin' Groovies on tour currently with Roy Loney (!) performing "Teenage Head",
please post your tapes.

[www.thechapelsf.com]

[de-de.facebook.com]

[twitter.com]

[www.songkick.com]

Date: May 28, 2019 19:56

@#$%&, thats incredible. I genuinely hope that makes it back to the US.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1615
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home