Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40
Re: Hamburg Germany 09-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:32

Some @#$%& here want to destroy a fantastic evening with our band.
My advice: Burn your collection, tear your tickets, shut the @#$%& up and leave!

We want to enjoy this last tour and are faithful.

Can´t wait for Amsterdam, Arnheim, and Paris x 3.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:32

wonderboy
Let's face it -- they have very little relationship, personal or working. They only communicate through intermediaries. There are no accounts or pictures of the together when they are not playing or rehearsing; I doubt they even spend joint time in the studio anymore.
Be very interesting to get Mick on a truth serum and find out what he's thinking.

They were in studio together for B&L.
To Mick, there is no surprise anymore - he knows what Keith does, says and will say. He has accepted it and he lives with it. It is not about money, but a matter to do what he likes in good and bad.
Other bands have the same problems and some of them have split forever. That Stones have not done. They have adjusted their lives, being together short term so they don't get on each others nerves. Maybe that is the correct formula - not to see each other too much and often winking smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:34

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
My good friend riffhards made me promise not to judge live performances based on the quality of cellphone video and so I won't.

I suspect my feelings about the show would have been reasonably similar to those of Mr Dean Goodman halfway down in the Reports section ... but how can I be sure since I wasn't there.

I do wonder why all the cellphones at the Hamburg show were recording things at about 3/4 speed; that seems a bit odd. Maybe some blocking thing to prevent streaming/broadcasting?

That 3/4 speed is the same speed the songs we love so dearly have on their respective albums.

Maybe you're a bit trigger-happy with that 45 button on your turntable, LongBeach?

Wait, you're saying they played those songs that slowly in real life ... and on purpose?

Oh, well that is indeed a horse of a different color.

Every musician I've ever talked to has told me it's harder to play slower than it is to play faster. Speed masks things that might otherwise be apparent. If they're playing slower on purpose then it must be for one of two reasons:

1) they can't play any other way, or

2) they've gotten better and are positively inviting comparisons to their younger selves.

If 2) is the case then gold rings on ya fellas; full marks for effort!

Oh, and by the way, I have two children under the age of 4, DP. My life runs at 78 RPM.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:36

wonderboy
Let's face it -- they have very little relationship, personal or working. They only communicate through intermediaries. There are no accounts or pictures of the together when they are not playing or rehearsing; I doubt they even spend joint time in the studio anymore.
Be very interesting to get Mick on a truth serum and find out what he's thinking.
This can't be correct, I know i've seen Don Was talking about them all being in the studio together for Blue & Lonesome, no?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:38

stone4ever
>But once he starts shitting himself ... well, then, I might have to re-evaluate.<

Longbeach it's great to have you back, you can't see my face but that sentence made me laugh harder than i have for a long time ( sciatic nerve still playing up lol )

What did you think of the show dude.

I can no longer comment on cellphpone video evidence alone; I'm blocked by court order from you!

Apparently it was one of the great Stones concerts of all time, though, and for that we can all be thankful.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:40

drbryant
Rik
angee
On getting in, did anyone have the early entry package(s), and if so, what time did they open that gate?

What time did they first let most people in?
Yes, curious about that too!

Yes, I am curious as well. Anyone?

I suspect it's hard to get questions noticed because they get lost in all of negative posts by people who didn't like the youtube videos.

Hi angee

General intrance started at 2 pm. Don't know if there was an earlier entrance for special people.. It was raining cats and dogs so so I arrived after the rain stopped.

Tom (from Berlin)

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 11, 2017 23:42

And they made the hardest after 55 of "common life"...winking smiley
End is near so Mick and Keith ignore each other quietly and intelligently...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 23:44 by powerage78.

Date: September 11, 2017 23:44

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
My good friend riffhards made me promise not to judge live performances based on the quality of cellphone video and so I won't.

I suspect my feelings about the show would have been reasonably similar to those of Mr Dean Goodman halfway down in the Reports section ... but how can I be sure since I wasn't there.

I do wonder why all the cellphones at the Hamburg show were recording things at about 3/4 speed; that seems a bit odd. Maybe some blocking thing to prevent streaming/broadcasting?

That 3/4 speed is the same speed the songs we love so dearly have on their respective albums.

Maybe you're a bit trigger-happy with that 45 button on your turntable, LongBeach?

Wait, you're saying they played those songs that slowly in real life ... and on purpose?

Oh, well that is indeed a horse of a different color.

Every musician I've ever talked to has told me it's harder to play slower than it is to play faster. Speed masks things that might otherwise be apparent. If they're playing slower on purpose then it must be for one of two reasons:

1) they can't play any other way, or

2) they've gotten better and are positively inviting comparisons to their younger selves.

If 2) is the case then gold rings on ya fellas; full marks for effort!

Oh, and by the way, I have two children under the age of 4, DP. My life runs at 78 RPM.

I hear you smiling smiley

Don't underestimate Chuck's beats per minute, though. Maybe he'll pitch his boys up now, after your complaints?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:10

Dean Goodman always writes fair and honest reviews (sometimes brutally honest), along with some lightheartedness, and I have much respect for his writing and opinions. There's no gloss to cover up all the warts, yet he happily gives praise when praise is deserved. After reading through so many reviews of "the best show ever", and then reading others defending every mistake no matter how small or large and obvious it is, it's refreshing to read this:

Dean Goodman:

Sparks didn't exactly fly during the first show of the latest Stones tour in Hamburg on Saturday. To be sure, it was a better kickoff than the dire Oslo show three years ago, but the boys delivered a plodding set laden with ballads and slowed-down songs. "Under My Thumb," in particular seemed to be delivered at 17 rpm speed. I was happy to take two of the slower ones, "Play with Fire" and "Dancing with Mr. D," which featured some nifty bass work. On the heels of the brief resurrection of "Silver Train," it seems the Stones are doing their bit to get the word out to the masses that "Goat's Head Soup" is one of their best albums.

There were plenty of innovations that give me hope that the Stones will hit their groove soon, and that this tour will be a special one. That's if someone can remember to revive Keith: He could barely walk, and his playing was rudimentary. It seems they finally sat down after at least a decade on autopilot and gave some thought to retooling the show - or at least rearranging the deck chairs. First up were the four giant video screens that looked like self-supporting picture frames. Very cool. The catwalk has also been extended on either side. Mick was out there a lot, but not the other guys. The lack of goofy videos was also noted with approval, though a loop of some demonstrators showed during the early part of "Gimme Shelter." The relatively simple staging reminded me of the North American No Security tour from 1999, which holds a high place in my memories.

Hamburg has had a dismal summer, and it rained on and off for most of the day. Thankfully, no storms were threatening during the show, though it was getting chilly by the end, about 10 degrees. There must have been a condensation issue on the catwalk, because Mick asked a roadie mid-song to take care of the issue, and a team of four gofers duly rushed out a half-dozen times during the show to wipe it down. None of the Stones seemed affected by the cold, though Charlie preemptively wore a long-sleeved dress shirt.

The 2:20 show kicked off just after 8:30 pm not with an introductory video but with the prerecorded percussion of "Sympathy for the Devil." I could be wrong, but I doubt the Stones have ever begun a show with "Sympathy" - and I guess it's been a good decade or two since they began with anything other than one of the uptempo warhorses. The upside is that we get a crap song over and done with, and we have none of the choreographed moves involving the support musicians and singers. The downside is that it's a long, boring, outdated song. You want to begin the show with a bang, not with a stale dirge. Anyway, I am glad they are trying new stuff with the sequencing. Matt loses much of his raison d'être now that "You Can't Always Get What You Want" has been moved way up the list with no choir. "Gimme Shelter" takes its place in the encore, by which time Sasha's voice is clearly a little tired.

I shouldn't get too excited about the sequencing: Next up were "It's Only Rock'n Roll," "Tumbling Dice" and "Out of Control." Mick noted, in German, that it was the 18th time the Stones have played Hamburg, and he mentioned something about Pink Floyd. Later on, he said (in English) that they arrived by boat today because "we were told by some friends in Liverpool that Hamburg's a good place to get a start in a career." I was worried they would reprise "Come Together."

Two enthusiastic tracks from Blue and Lonesome led into the rarities portion - "Play with Fire," with Keith and Ron sitting down with their acoustics, "Dancing with Mr. D," and "Under My Thumb." "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was somewhere in that mix. Maybe it was my imagination, but "Under My Thumb" seemed quite Motownish, quite "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"-ish. And I could swear Charlie was playing a disco beat just before the breakdown of "Midnight Rambler," which barely hit 11 minutes.

Some things don't change. We got a dire bass solo on "Miss You." Afterwards, Mick asked, "What will Miles say about that?" Who cares? It's supposed to be a rock concert. "Brown Sugar" benefited from minimal backup singing by Sasha, none of the silly affections used by Lisa. Chuck and Matt were as far apart as possible, barely on the same stage. The crowd seemed a little older than usual for a European show, not surprising given the extortionate pricing.. Hopefully the average age will move down as the tour progresses, and I'd really appreciate it if all the smokers could stop following me around.

Thanks Dean for telling it like it is. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 00:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:33

"Thank you Hamburg #StonesNoFIlter"

[twitter.com]

Date: September 12, 2017 00:37

Used to be Ronnie's would write the setlists on a piece of cheap foam board...now he's using a proper stretched canvas?

Date: September 12, 2017 00:41

Now with Dancing With Mr D in the correct key.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:44

IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT:
Dancing with Mr. D was played last time (almost) at

BRUSSELS AFFAIRS 1973

This is just amazing.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:52

DandelionPowderman
Now with Dancing With Mr D in the correct key.

Maybe the next printed setlist will read Dancing with Mr A smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:56

Hairball
Dean Goodman always writes fair and honest reviews (sometimes brutally honest), along with some lightheartedness, and I have much respect for his writing and opinions. There's no gloss to cover up all the warts, yet he happily gives praise when praise is deserved. After reading through so many reviews of "the best show ever", and then reading others defending every mistake no matter how small or large and obvious it is, it's refreshing to read this:

Dean Goodman:

Sparks didn't exactly fly during the first show of the latest Stones tour in Hamburg on Saturday. To be sure, it was a better kickoff than the dire Oslo show three years ago, but the boys delivered a plodding set laden with ballads and slowed-down songs. "Under My Thumb," in particular seemed to be delivered at 17 rpm speed. I was happy to take two of the slower ones, "Play with Fire" and "Dancing with Mr. D," which featured some nifty bass work. On the heels of the brief resurrection of "Silver Train," it seems the Stones are doing their bit to get the word out to the masses that "Goat's Head Soup" is one of their best albums.

There were plenty of innovations that give me hope that the Stones will hit their groove soon, and that this tour will be a special one. That's if someone can remember to revive Keith: He could barely walk, and his playing was rudimentary. It seems they finally sat down after at least a decade on autopilot and gave some thought to retooling the show - or at least rearranging the deck chairs. First up were the four giant video screens that looked like self-supporting picture frames. Very cool. The catwalk has also been extended on either side. Mick was out there a lot, but not the other guys. The lack of goofy videos was also noted with approval, though a loop of some demonstrators showed during the early part of "Gimme Shelter." The relatively simple staging reminded me of the North American No Security tour from 1999, which holds a high place in my memories.

Hamburg has had a dismal summer, and it rained on and off for most of the day. Thankfully, no storms were threatening during the show, though it was getting chilly by the end, about 10 degrees. There must have been a condensation issue on the catwalk, because Mick asked a roadie mid-song to take care of the issue, and a team of four gofers duly rushed out a half-dozen times during the show to wipe it down. None of the Stones seemed affected by the cold, though Charlie preemptively wore a long-sleeved dress shirt.

The 2:20 show kicked off just after 8:30 pm not with an introductory video but with the prerecorded percussion of "Sympathy for the Devil." I could be wrong, but I doubt the Stones have ever begun a show with "Sympathy" - and I guess it's been a good decade or two since they began with anything other than one of the uptempo warhorses. The upside is that we get a crap song over and done with, and we have none of the choreographed moves involving the support musicians and singers. The downside is that it's a long, boring, outdated song. You want to begin the show with a bang, not with a stale dirge. Anyway, I am glad they are trying new stuff with the sequencing. Matt loses much of his raison d'être now that "You Can't Always Get What You Want" has been moved way up the list with no choir. "Gimme Shelter" takes its place in the encore, by which time Sasha's voice is clearly a little tired.

I shouldn't get too excited about the sequencing: Next up were "It's Only Rock'n Roll," "Tumbling Dice" and "Out of Control." Mick noted, in German, that it was the 18th time the Stones have played Hamburg, and he mentioned something about Pink Floyd. Later on, he said (in English) that they arrived by boat today because "we were told by some friends in Liverpool that Hamburg's a good place to get a start in a career." I was worried they would reprise "Come Together."

Two enthusiastic tracks from Blue and Lonesome led into the rarities portion - "Play with Fire," with Keith and Ron sitting down with their acoustics, "Dancing with Mr. D," and "Under My Thumb." "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was somewhere in that mix. Maybe it was my imagination, but "Under My Thumb" seemed quite Motownish, quite "Ain't Too Proud to Beg"-ish. And I could swear Charlie was playing a disco beat just before the breakdown of "Midnight Rambler," which barely hit 11 minutes.

Some things don't change. We got a dire bass solo on "Miss You." Afterwards, Mick asked, "What will Miles say about that?" Who cares? It's supposed to be a rock concert. "Brown Sugar" benefited from minimal backup singing by Sasha, none of the silly affections used by Lisa. Chuck and Matt were as far apart as possible, barely on the same stage. The crowd seemed a little older than usual for a European show, not surprising given the extortionate pricing.. Hopefully the average age will move down as the tour progresses, and I'd really appreciate it if all the smokers could stop following me around.

I have also read his reviews through the years, and I honestly don't understand why he bother to go to these shows. So much negativety. But that's his opinion and that's right for him. Lot's of shows that I don't agree with him on and that doesn't mean I am wrong, does it?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 12, 2017 00:59

GasLightStreet
Under My Thumb sounds better than the BANG tour performance.

[www.youtube.com]

Yeah it was horrible on Bang but man was it better in 1981...at least on "Still Life" (there are some terrible versions from early in the tour), that intro is what got me into the Stones back in the day, knocked me over. I was telling my boy about that today in the car as I was playing UMT from the Hamburg recording. So I pulled up "Still Life" and well, forget the BPMs...it is a drag getting old, both for them and for the fans. But hey, I'll still be happy to hear it in Paris ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 01:00 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:14

There have been some offending posts here lately. In fact I have spending a lot of time deleting offending posts yesterday and today.

As of today I will not just delete the offending posts. I will also delete the access of posting for the individuals who offend.

If you had a bad day at work or at home, take a cold shower. Don't ruin the day for others here on IORR.

Thanks for your understanding.

Bjornulf

Date: September 12, 2017 01:14

wonderboy

There's the nice "Country Honk" sequence in that movie about the South American tour and for Exhibitionism, I doubt anyone could have forced them to do that if they didn't want to. There's been *some* interaction on stage since 2012 too, mostly when the 2014 tour resumed though, when it mattered...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 12, 2017 01:20

bobo
Hairball

Dean Goodman:

I have also read his reviews through the years, and I honestly don't understand why he bother to go to these shows. So much negativety. But that's his opinion and that's right for him. Lot's of shows that I don't agree with him on and that doesn't mean I am wrong, does it?

No it doesn't mean you're wrong, and it might be interesting to read your review if you were at the show. I've attended several of the same shows as Dean over the years, and while we don't always agree on everything, more often than not we are on the same page. There's a degree of honesty and integrity in the above review that seems to be lacking in some of the other overzealous reviews I've read thus far here, but being this is a Stones forum filled with fanatics that's understandable I suppose.

Date: September 12, 2017 01:23

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Getting back to what we were talking about earlier with fans noticing that there was no interaction between Mick and Keith in Hamburg.

There was interaction.

slewan
MonkeyMan2000
Sorry, but I didn't see any interaction and I was at the show too. I'm happy to be proven wrong of course as I don't want to spread any lies. But it seemed to me that Keith was ignoring Mick and not the other way around. Something seemed to fret him. He was smiling and moving around much more when I saw them in Vegas last year. I'm just a bit concerned, but let's see what happens tomorrow.

I was in the no filter pit and thus close enough to confirm that there was NO interaction between Jagger and Richards (beside the music, of course). Let's face the fact: Their relationship is more buisiness-like than friendship-like

This is confusing, DandelionPowderman, when exactly did you see "interaction" between Mick and Keith ?

--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 01:25 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:30

Hmm. After reading through some posts it's turned out to be something I didn't want (negativity). My experience as I described earlier was not what I hoped for as I truly am a huge fan. The Stones basically played well and I could see people were full of joy and I was happy for them. Unfortunately I stood there full of regret for being cheated. You can come to whatever conclusion you like. It was in fact for me the last time. For what it's worth I hope and wish great karma on all that share our wonderful human culture of Rock and Roll. In my opinion it's the greatest moment in our modern history. Happy I was able to be part of it.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 12, 2017 01:59

gotdablouse

There's the nice "Country Honk" sequence in that movie about the South American tour and for Exhibitionism, I doubt anyone could have forced them to do that if they didn't want to. There's been *some* interaction on stage since 2012 too, mostly when the 2014 tour resumed though, when it mattered...

My opinion (just my reading of their history) is that they did that just for the show.
B&L didn't require any collaboration -- they just got together and jammed some songs they could do in their sleep.
I don't think they've gotten together in the studio recently and worked on songs together. If they had, we would have an album, imo. I think they got together and negotiated.
If you want to see a good personal and professional working relationship you have something like Daltrey/Townsend.
Their relationship works for them, I guess. Not really conducive to making records, though.

Date: September 12, 2017 02:11

gotdablouse
DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Getting back to what we were talking about earlier with fans noticing that there was no interaction between Mick and Keith in Hamburg.

There was interaction.

slewan
MonkeyMan2000
Sorry, but I didn't see any interaction and I was at the show too. I'm happy to be proven wrong of course as I don't want to spread any lies. But it seemed to me that Keith was ignoring Mick and not the other way around. Something seemed to fret him. He was smiling and moving around much more when I saw them in Vegas last year. I'm just a bit concerned, but let's see what happens tomorrow.

I was in the no filter pit and thus close enough to confirm that there was NO interaction between Jagger and Richards (beside the music, of course). Let's face the fact: Their relationship is more buisiness-like than friendship-like

This is confusing, DandelionPowderman, when exactly did you see "interaction" between Mick and Keith ?

Watch Mick and Keith in the beginning of SFM.

But they didn't hold hands. It was a cue.

Date: September 12, 2017 02:17

They also interacted in the beginning of Paint It Black.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 12, 2017 02:25

I think they run hot and cold with each other.
A bit like me and my wife, good times bad times.

Hey it doesn't matter how they get on when they share a baby like this.

SMU the best version ever, and boy watch Ronnie go with his solo. Wow.

haha Mick was so mesmerized with Ronnie's running antics he forgets his cue to come in. I love this. Just had half his left lung removed and he comes back like this. Who are these guys. What are they on. I want some.smiling bouncing smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-12 02:32 by stone4ever.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 12, 2017 02:32

GasLightStreet
Under My Thumb sounds better than the BANG tour performance.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow!!! I just listened to it now. It sounds great. Even more so, It absolutely reminds me of the 1969 Altamont version. That slow pace and that chord after the "its alright" The only thing missing were the Angels. Best version I've heard in years.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 12, 2017 03:39

I've heard (from boots) bad shows from 1969 (Hyde Park), 1976, 1981 and so on so bad playing and trainwrecks from the Stones are there for almost 50 years now, so we can't complain about bad playing in 2017, what's new under the sun?

When they were cool or at their peak, trainwrecks were cool isn't it?
Now not?

Come on, they are the Rolling Stones, not Pink Floyd or Yes, if I want perfection I go to see other bands, the Stones are what they are, go or stay home.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 12, 2017 03:49

stone4ever
I think they run hot and cold with each other.
A bit like me and my wife, good times bad times.

Hey it doesn't matter how they get on when they share a baby like this.

SMU the best version ever, and boy watch Ronnie go with his solo. Wow.

haha Mick was so mesmerized with Ronnie's running antics he forgets his cue to come in. I love this. Just had half his left lung removed and he comes back like this. Who are these guys. What are they on. I want some.smiling bouncing smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Mmmmh, sounds more like Ronnie got lost in his mostly atonal solo, could not find the right ending and consequently confused Mick a lot. He's much better when he's concentrating on his playing, not on his running around. But to each his own. And, hey, it's the "party" part of the show, good to experience live, but not made for repeated listening.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 12, 2017 04:04

TooTough

We want to enjoy this last tour and are faithful.

Can´t wait for Amsterdam, Arnheim, and Paris x 3.

The truly faithful are convinced this won't be the "last tour". cool smiley

Date: September 12, 2017 04:08

georgelicks
I've heard (from boots) bad shows from 1969 (Hyde Park), 1976, 1981 and so on so bad playing and trainwrecks from the Stones are there for almost 50 years now, so we can't complain about bad playing in 2017, what's new under the sun?

When they were cool or at their peak, trainwrecks were cool isn't it?
Now not?

Come on, they are the Rolling Stones, not Pink Floyd or Yes, if I want perfection I go to see other bands, the Stones are what they are, go or stay home.

I think there's a big difference between the old days when they were truly trying to embellish and/or improvise during a performance vs. today when they simply can't do what they used to do. Back then they could play an exact replica of a studio version if they chose to, but in the spirit of a live performance they chose to take it to another level. Sometimes it came off as haphhazard and sloppy, but that was part of the thrill and at least you knew their heart was in it. Today they play to click tracks, read teleprompters, and/or get cues from Chuck, etc., etc., etc, yet they can still barely manage to get by with that. The fact is they're old men and they keep on rolling no matter what, and for that they should be given credit. And for the record, this isn't a whine or a complaint, just an observation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 35 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home