Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 40
Re: Hamburg Germany 09-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: GJB ()
Date: September 10, 2017 16:52

virgil
GJB
[www.youtube.com]

Dancing with Mr D. Recorded from the pit last night.

Sorry about my singing...

Thanks For the post GJB Mr. D has been on my Stones live bucket list for ever. I think they only played it 3 or 4 times ever and that was during the 73 European tour. I have a couple of the live Boot versions and one of them is in my top 5 all time live Stones songs. I love playing it for Stones fans who never heard it before , it always blows them away.

I hope they keep it in the setlist for the rest of Europe. We all know they have a tendency to start a tour with 22 or 23 songs and start cutting it back as they move along. Many times they will play a gem like this once or twice at the begining of the tour and drop it if Mick doesn't think it was well received.

Almost forgot how was it received by 80,000?

No problem - I didn't want to stand there with my phone all night so I thought I would just pick one song to record and I thought that DWMD might be most appreciated on here!

From where I was I thought it went down fairly well - I mean I'm guessing many people there didn't know it, so it's never going to get the best reception, but equally many casual fans won't know Out of Control and that seems to work well, so I am hopeful with a little work it can stay.

Mick seemed to have put in a lot of effort trying to remember the lyrics without standing there reading off the prompter so I think that's a good sign that it will at least get a 2nd run-out smiling smiley

Date: September 10, 2017 16:54

So...

First of all thank you hamburg and scorpio for the great organisation. Toilets and bars everywhere. Great food and reasonable prices. Venue looked fantastic. Great!

Than the show..

Screens where great at night. Although i missed the interaction between band members, the screen mostly show one person, not keith en ronnie interacting or other members. Also there where to much filters!!! Did not like that. Some visuals were great (miss you).

Crowd was really nice but a bit boring. They enjoyed it, but no partying.

The setlist was fantastic. Just a great mix of new songs, gems and warhorses. The songs are much less stretched out as in 2014. The blues songs and play with fire were very short, which i liked. I dont think sympathy worked very well as an opener. Still a huge suprise! Setlist overall was a bit slow at the beginning, also because they played songs a bit slower than they did.

The first half of the show sounded rusty, almost a bit underrehearsed. I missed the fat rich stones sound. The second half was played fantastic. Best versions of street fighting man and gimme shelter i have heard live. Note; Sacha is no Lisa.

All band members were focussed, first half it just didnt click, second half was magic. Keith soloing was better than 2014. Mick was talking alot, and was very funny (made a great joke they arrived by cruise and some friends from liverpool told him that hamburg was a great place to start a carreer, so here we are.

I am sure they get it together in a few shows. Glad i was there and looking forward to the next one.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 10, 2017 16:58

mtaylor
slewan
stone4ever
I'm a bit confused by some comments, Keith can't be crap and lazy and brilliant at the same time.

he is old. He does what he's able to do these days. Sometimes it sounds great, sometimes he seems to be somehow lost. It's just a simple as that. If you watch him you get the impression that he is some 10-15 years older than Jagger, Wood und Watts. Still he has his good moments

Exactly. He is old, his timing and reaction is not the same as for people in their 50'ies or 60'ies - let alone people 20-40 years old.

Older people get easier confused, disturbed by distraction - so he probably uses lots of energy focusing on playing and not making too many mistakes / must be stressful. Of course, his heavy use of drugs and alcohol hasn't been good for his brain either....

You forgot Botox. Botox takes some years off yer face, but not lots of expression drinking smiley

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:02

corriecas
StonedRambler
laertisflash
Keith "messed up EVERY solo he did"? I think you're exaggerating a bit, StonedRambler...
He did not play wrong notes on every solo, but in my opinion no solo was really good. Mainly noodling around. But again, I don't blame him for anything but I had the feeling he was not doing well..
Well. I really liked Keefs solos.after the first 10 minutes he loosened up and started smiling more.yeah sure Ron was more present yesterday and played great.Keef played some great stuff but he needs 2 more showd to get unleashed.
For the rest i hope people stop the bullshit about his pants.show some respect.jeroen

What a bad excuse. For tickets that expensive you better deliver what your fans are expecting right from the first show on. It's disrespectful to your audience not to give it all and be on spot the moment you hit stage. Your audience deserve only the best (especially with these prices). If you are not able to do it anymore it's better to quit.

Keith played pretty bad, there's no doubt about it. And it's by far not the first time he did. Sometimes it is not even amateur status anymore. It's just completely unfocused noodeling.

Date: September 10, 2017 17:04

stone4ever
laertisflash
To be fair, StonedRambler has a point: Keith did not move very much. But Keith does not move very much, overall, during the last tours. Fully explainable, IMO. He's is not a fitness monster, as Mick is... Saving powers it's probably Keith's own way to be concentrated and focused on the music. And to play music as better as he can. Add up his usual nervousness on opening nights...

Keith takes a while to get going , he never moves much on the first show.
He was running on the stage on the last tour and the one before, remember when he dripped and fell while running during Miss You.

He gets stronger as the tour progresses and Ronnie gets weaker.
Keith just knows how to pace himself.winking smiley

Judge him towards the end of the tour, he will be fine.

He was running yesterday as well.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:04

The Liverpool/Hamburg joke was funny.

Date: September 10, 2017 17:12

Hansman
corriecas
StonedRambler
laertisflash
Keith "messed up EVERY solo he did"? I think you're exaggerating a bit, StonedRambler...
He did not play wrong notes on every solo, but in my opinion no solo was really good. Mainly noodling around. But again, I don't blame him for anything but I had the feeling he was not doing well..
Well. I really liked Keefs solos.after the first 10 minutes he loosened up and started smiling more.yeah sure Ron was more present yesterday and played great.Keef played some great stuff but he needs 2 more showd to get unleashed.
For the rest i hope people stop the bullshit about his pants.show some respect.jeroen

What a bad excuse. For tickets that expensive you better deliver what your fans are expecting right from the first show on. It's disrespectful to your audience not to give it all and be on spot the moment you hit stage. Your audience deserve only the best (especially with these prices). If you are not able to do it anymore it's better to quit.

Keith played pretty bad, there's no doubt about it. And it's by far not the first time he did. Sometimes it is not even amateur status anymore. It's just completely unfocused noodeling.

He was noodling on what, three or four songs... out of 22? HTW, STFD and Satisfaction. On UMT, IORR and GS his solos were fine.

On the 18-19 other songs he sounded great. He was a joy to listen to on the blues numbers.

How can those "crowd interaction solos" take away so much from your overall experience of the show?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:13

keith playing is - as someone said - not even amateur-level anymore and thats really sad. as much as i love him and the band. after this tour they should quit. i dont want my hero to become a laughingstock, like chuck berry in his last years.
i mean seriously dont you hear that?? it's not only wrong key, out of tune, but ther's no timing, no feel in his lead parts. awfull.
but ffrom the clips i've seen jagger is fantastic!

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:13

QUESTION: Did Tim Ries play keyboards? I think YCAGWYW. A guy with a hat behind Chucky. And Tim was wearing one.

Posted by: kitoise ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:19

Any TV videos reports please? Thanks

Date: September 10, 2017 17:22

MisterDDDD
Definitely great to watch live 'scopes, but snippets,and pics were also fun, especially when all the video is uploaded so quickly.
Thanks to all who've uploaded!! Patience makes the experience last longer.

True, fantastic attitude!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:23

Maybe Keith needs 1-2 more shows. But people who want to "crucify" him, extremely exaggerating and judging his overall performance by SFTD's solo, seem to be much more slowed: As I see, they are attacking after 22 - 24 pages of this site...

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:35

I for one can testify that Keith was sharp and focused. He sounded great. Surely, not every solo was perfect, but he is the sound of the band and yesterday the band sounded great. As far as the guitar plays, I personally couldn't care less if he moved a lot on stage or not, but hey that's just my opinion.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:40

Of course, WS. The overall gig's level stayed high (thanks god, my ears are still working well). And, for sure, band's sound couldn't be that good, if Keith would be the "horrible" musician some "describe" here...

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:44

schwonek
QUESTION: Did Tim Ries play keyboards? I think YCAGWYW. A guy with a hat behind Chucky. And Tim was wearing one.

Yes

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 10, 2017 17:59

Yeah that's a bit much...

More to the point it seems Keith didn't take any solo this time on OOC unlike in Havana ?

The backing vocals on Mr. D are great and very impressive of Mick to know all the lyrics ! A bit annoying to see Chuck calling out all the changes though as if they were rehearsing or playing a warmup gig...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:04

john lomax

Ronnie Wood take a bow - he had a fantastic show, and he worked so hard to support Mick and Keith. In some songs (e.g. slipping away) he actually played some of the lead parts underneath Keith just to support Keith, really good stuff. And he was on fire all night. An amazing performance from Ronnie.

Keith seemed a bit subdued until midway through, but his big smiles all night made it clear he was super happy to be back on stage.

Mick was in fine form - it was clear that he was in charge last night and he seemed very focussed on making sure that the new show worked well. The guy is amazing, full stop.

I would say Ronnie did way more than support Keith, I think he clearly covered for him. I think a third guitarist is in dire need to help cover Keith on both ends.

Agree about Mick, and if you notice, he was constantly looking over to Keith to cover for him as well. He can hear the mistakes and out of sync playing. I think he adjusts quite well on the fly. Tonight there were many adjustments both for reasons because of the playing and it being the first show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:05

coffeepotman
That Sympathy solo was cringe worthy, and that's an easy solo to play

I don't think he's ever truly nailed the solo on Sympathy, hence the rumours it was not really him on the studio version. winking smiley

Posted this in setlist thread, but might get more input here:

Interested to hear thoughts from those who were there on Sympathy as an opener.
From what I saw based on a video, it looked great, but not sure how the chugging sampled drumming and plodding tempo is a great way to kick off a show in to high gear.
Seems a lot of people here usually moan or whine about it when it's played anywhere in the setlist (w/slow tempo, etc.), but if it's gonna be played at all maybe it was good to get it out of the way?

Date: September 10, 2017 18:07

padre69
john lomax
schwonek
nankerzrk
schwonek
Short review. THIS WAS AMAZING. What a great setlist - never complain again! So many auprises and really a lot of energy from Ron and Mick. Keith seemed distracted but the sound was overwheling. And the screens are jus aweseome!

-> what happened to Keiths pants?

Bump... Anyone notice Keith's pants when he went up to do his spiel before his songs?

Looked like he ... spilled sth on his leg.

Yeah I noticed that...looked like he pissed himself

WHA-WHA-WHAAT?!

confused smiley

Date: September 10, 2017 18:10

Hairball, I wondered the exact SFTD opener- while I loved it, I was thinking Mick probably wants a solid punch / how about 'You Got Me Rocking Now'

and I must state:
Ron Wood is an Arabian thorough bred horse. Of the stud variety.

Date: September 10, 2017 18:23

35love
Hairball, I wondered the exact SFTD opener- while I loved it, I was thinking Mick probably wants a solid punch / how about 'You Got Me Rocking Now'

and I must state:
Ron Wood is an Arabian thorough bred horse. Of the stud variety.

While I'm not a fan of You Got Me Rocking Now, I hear what you're saying.
Something quick and beefy vs. something slow and smouldering... at least something that has an iconic riff ala JJF or even Start Me Up.
Sympathy seems better suited towards the middle/end of the setlist, and maybe they'll rethink the order of the setlist for the rest of the shows.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:25

Bjorn
The solo on SFTD...I mean...why not call it a day?
Come on!

Come on! Keef has been messing (with) this solo since 1994. The last time he played it competently was on the 89-90 tour. Chill out Bjorn!

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:28

laertisflash
MAF, an overall comment about the reviews published on German Press ?? Are they fully positive, basically positive, enthusiastic? There is a ranking (3.5/5) by Focus but all the others I see are... words, not numbers. And I don't know German language...

It's not a complete overview. Just check here:

Google News

Maybe some more will pop up today and tomorrow.
If the text is signed with "dpa" it's from this news agency and it's always the same one.
I have read only a few ones. Yes, they are positive:
"100% Satisfaction"
"With the poewer of storming dinosaurs"
etc.
But I'm sure there are some critical ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 22:56 by MAF.

Date: September 10, 2017 18:30

I dropped a full glass o' water this a.m. stone cold sober: true.

'Jagger coming out w/ more of a punch'
what can I say, him rounding the corner chomping on that gum, taking on
82,000 (UNREAL) or Hyde Park
also, Sir Mick, that perfect fit red leather coat, sequined shirt hanging out, black pants nice nice and nice

Big show man. Big show.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:31

dcba
Bjorn
The solo on SFTD...I mean...why not call it a day?
Come on!

Come on! Keef has been messing (with) this solo since 1994. The last time he played it competently was on the 89-90 tour. Chill out Bjorn!

it's a really easy solo. and even back i teh 90ies he played it like a beginner. nowadays he is out of tune, plays in the wrong key, no timing. people who dont hear that must be deaf. and its not about spoiling the party. i'm glad the others can somehow cover up and help keith through the set. but his playing is just well...out of controll.

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:35

Keith Richards' guitar playing yesterday was nothing less than top notch.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:37

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:38

bertrichards

Have you been tailgating for last three hours at an NFL football game?

Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:41

The Sicilian
bertrichards

Have you been tailgating for last three hours at an NFL football game?

I got ears, that's all.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 18:47

SFTD from yestarday night ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home