Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40
Re: Hamburg Germany 09-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 10, 2017 09:55

Sympathy as an opener. The whole place went mad. Brilliant move by the band to do this. video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:03

karimamilena
- whole organization and transport was good for me (apart from the digi cam part)
- when in Stockholm please play Coming Down Again
- love this rather simple stage a lot

just wow!

Did they check your pockets for the camera? Funny, I was just given a quick pat down, no pocket checks and certainly no metal detectors. Was easy to get some snacks etc.in. I would have been able to get a camera in but didn't want to risk it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:05

Silver Dagger
OK - just woken up in Hamburg and am pinching myself to make sure I didn't dream how great that show was. Here's Dancing With Mr D from last night.video: [youtu.be]

Brilliant! Thank you! smileys with beer

Date: September 10, 2017 10:24

Well, that was fun! Good Morning Hamburg.
A gig to remember. The set list speaks for itself but as the first half of the show unfolded there were whoops of joy as each intro floated out across the audience. A very effective stage set which might look odd in daylight but works really well in the dark. All the band were on fine form and looking fantastic...is this really 2017?!

Great fun sharing the experience with Silver Dagger, Dandelion Powderman, Robber Bride, Wild Sliwowitz, Irwin and others whose names i apologise for missing in the haze....

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:29

Posted by: Aquamarine ()

Don't understand how anyone could complain about this setlist (though I know some folks live to complain about setlists)--this one sounds just amazing, as do all the clips I've seen/heard. Very jealous of you all there tonight! Bar set high for the rest of the tour.

Posted by: Topi ()

Security and the arrangements were a mess. People could walk into the Silver Pit without a wristband by simply going around the Tribune stands! There was no signage for the Silver Pit.

I even managed to get past the first security guard on the way to the No Filter Pit - with just my Silver Pit wristband (which has the name of the tour...) The second checkpoint where they looked at your ticket I didn't dare to try...winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 10:31 by Topi.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:36

An absolutely brilliant Stones experience. It poured with rain all day in Hamburg but Keith brought that to a halt with a wave of his magic stick grinning smiley

So myself, DP, Robber Bride, Silver Dagger, ErwinH and his brother, ManofWealthandTaste,Steinschlag and friend decided to while away the hours with a few 'refreshments' in a bar in the Reeperbahn, which helpfully played Stones Music and videos to get us all in the mood. When the rain stopped we made our way up to the park, where we were joined by Wild Sliwowitz to make a 10 strong gang of mostly IORRians and only entered around an hour before show time. We still managed to secure a decent viewing and listening spot.

There's not much I can add to what others have said about the song count, show length and setlist, all of which were simply phenomenal, as was the band performance with all members in good form. Sympathy was an inspired opener and it worked very well. ARound our group we had been guessing what the opener might be and not one of us came up with Sympathy. The whole show has been reshuffled and shaken up with even the warhorses sounding fresher. There was very little first tour night rustiness that I could detect. If you can go to one of these shows, make sure you do, even if Lucky Dipping.

I'm Still on a high, and I will be for the next few days. I'm sitting at Stansted Airport, waiting for my train home (well rail replacement bus actually as the trains are off). I've actually been up all night, having been stuck skulking around Hamburg Hauptbahnhof between 1-4am, as the airport trains don't start until then (well why would they?)

But I don't mind one tiny bit of that relatively minor aggro - it's ALWAYS worth it for this incredible band.

As an aside, security was far less thorough than I expected with just a vague pat down and my guard even indulged in friendly small talk about my home nation of Scotland. Someone who really wanted to sneak in a camera probably could have done, though I didn't risk it. There was, of course the obligatory hanging stench of weed, which, as Wild Sliwowitz said, was 'business as usual' grinning smiley

Hope all the rest of you guys got/get home OK and I'll see some of you elsewhere on tour.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:40

Sorry not to be around last night (unavoidable family commitments). Glad to see that those who were there had a good time - I love Sympathy as a spectacular opener, and anyone can guess how delighted I was to hear Play With Fire...

In the absence of periscope (what was that about? Did someone pull a switch somewhere and kill mobile reception? Can anyone who was at the show enlighten us?), here's a YouTube of Dancing With Mr. D:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:46

Green Lady
Sorry not to be around last night (unavoidable family commitments). Glad to see that those who were there had a good time - I love Sympathy as a spectacular opener, and anyone can guess how delighted I was to hear Play With Fire...

In the absence of periscope (what was that about? Did someone pull a switch somewhere and kill mobile reception? Can anyone who was at the show enlighten us?), here's a YouTube of Dancing With Mr. D:

[www.youtube.com]

love it keep it wanna hear it in paris !

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:51

what a setlist! hope they keep the 22 songs.i just dont get why keith insist on playing those terrible lead parts. give it to ronnie - its really embarrassing.
and they should speed up some songs a bit.
otherwise blown away by everything seen so far.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 10, 2017 10:58

Keith's performance last night was really good, IMO.

You're right about the bmp of the songs being slowed down, especially in the first half of the gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 12:01 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:07

This is awful. They sound so old and every song is played in slow motion...Please - retire!!!

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:08

grzegorz67
An absolutely brilliant Stones experience. It poured with rain all day in Hamburg but Keith brought that to a halt with a wave of his magic stick grinning smiley

So myself, DP, Robber Bride, Silver Dagger, ErwinH and his brother, ManofWealthandTaste,Steinschlag and friend decided to while away the hours with a few 'refreshments' in a bar in the Reeperbahn, which helpfully played Stones Music and videos to get us all in the mood. When the rain stopped we made our way up to the park, where we were joined by Wild Sliwowitz to make a 10 strong gang of mostly IORRians and only entered around an hour before show time. We still managed to secure a decent viewing and listening spot.

There's not much I can add to what others have said about the song count, show length and setlist, all of which were simply phenomenal, as was the band performance with all members in good form. Sympathy was an inspired opener and it worked very well. ARound our group we had been guessing what the opener might be and not one of us came up with Sympathy. The whole show has been reshuffled and shaken up with even the warhorses sounding fresher. There was very little first tour night rustiness that I could detect. If you can go to one of these shows, make sure you do, even if Lucky Dipping.

I'm Still on a high, and I will be for the next few days. I'm sitting at Stansted Airport, waiting for my train home (well rail replacement bus actually as the trains are off). I've actually been up all night, having been stuck skulking around Hamburg Hauptbahnhof between 1-4am, as the airport trains don't start until then (well why would they?)

But I don't mind one tiny bit of that relatively minor aggro - it's ALWAYS worth it for this incredible band.

As an aside, security was far less thorough than I expected with just a vague pat down and my guard even indulged in friendly small talk about my home nation of Scotland. Someone who really wanted to sneak in a camera probably could have done, though I didn't risk it. There was, of course the obligatory hanging stench of weed, which, as Wild Sliwowitz said, was 'business as usual' grinning smiley

Hope all the rest of you guys got/get home OK and I'll see some of you elsewhere on tour.

Security was a laugh. I'm ready with a real camera in Munich, didn't dare last night. The home trip reminded me of Werchter (spell). 1 hour walking, without lights... Was even worse.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Karlos123 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:09

Regarding Periscope: Absolutely no receiption, due to too many people in one cell.

Regarding the show: Mindblowing. Thanks to everyone involved.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:21

Wow... what a fu**in great setlist.
I didn't expect them to surprise me this much!

Sympathy as an opener is what I hoped for for years and it seems it worked perfectly.

I hope they keep the setlist for the following shows...

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:22

The Sicilian
Cristiano Radtke
Brown Sugar

This version sounded terrible. Keith was struggling with the opening, couldn't keep up and having problems hitting the notes throughout, and even worse, the sax was awful. The sax solo was the worst I've ever heard. They really miss Bobby but this guy is bad.

there was a strange, most likely unintended echo effect during Brown Sugar (at least in the No Filter Pit)

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:34

I suppose the set list for this show proves why what they were doing in rehearsals was kept under wraps -- they obviously have quite a few surprises to unravel on this tour, which should please just about everyone though some are still, if not complaining, then suggesting improvements here and there.

No doubt, it would be interesting to hear boots of not only tonight's show, but all the shows on this tour if the trend continues.

I hadn't been following the show, but looked at a set list thread in the general (i.e., non-sticky) section of the forum and thought, Wow, that's kind of a dream wish list.

Lucky Europe! smoking smiley

Posted by: Anastasia60 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:44

Nate
odean73
My nephew just text me to say he was blown away with the concert, his mates also.

Amsterdam can't come quick enough.

One of the things I get the most joy from at a concert is seeing the look on people's faces who you can tell have never seen the band before and they are having one of the best nights of their lives.

Nate thumbs up
Absolutely Nate! SMU never a fave until Vancouver 2006 - walking back from the front row to our seats, seeing ear--to-ear smiles on hundreds of faces - doesn't get much better than that!

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:48

guitarbastard
what a setlist! hope they keep the 22 songs.i just dont get why keith insist on playing those terrible lead parts. give it to ronnie - its really embarrassing.
and they should speed up some songs a bit.
otherwise blown away by everything seen so far.

Must be a pride thing. I agree though, his playing sadly just isn't up to snuff anymore. Ronnie however, has shown no signs of slowing down! His slide work especially is as good as it has ever been.

Posted by: Anastasia60 ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:49

Beast
Anastasia60
What a trip! Flew in from Nor California yesterday, in a hotel west of Frankfurt getting ready for Munich & Zurich shows...thank you all! Awesome pics & setlust!

I believe we met in Zurich last time round. See you there again very soon, then!
Yes indeed!! Party at the Crowne!!

Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:54

schwonek
Short review. THIS WAS AMAZING. What a great setlist - never complain again! So many auprises and really a lot of energy from Ron and Mick. Keith seemed distracted but the sound was overwheling. And the screens are jus aweseome!

-> what happened to Keiths pants?

Bump... Anyone notice Keith's pants when he went up to do his spiel before his songs?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:02

Thanks for all the reports, videos etc. So good to see and read, that everybody who was there, had such a great time.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:17

Well I am sitting waiting for my breakfast in a cafe in St Pauli so I will take this opportunity to jot down my thought about last night...

First of all - the new stage is fantastic. Quite simple but very clever... from my position in the Silver Pit directly in front of Charlie it reminded me of a cross between the Licks Stage and the ABB stage (when the show was on that is - in daylight it looks like nothing I've ever seen before).

The video and the lighting is all brand new and really great - as someone else here said, it's breathed new life into some of the old warhorses, Miss You in particular, which sounded great last night.

The sound was awesome - very loud and very clear, with all instruments clearly identifiable, loud guitars and bass, probably the. Eat sound I've ever heard at an outdoor show. Charlie's snare was a bit quiet at times.

Ronnie Wood take a bow - he had a fantastic show, and he worked so hard to support Mick and Keith. In some songs (e.g. slipping away) he actually played some of the lead parts underneath Keith just to support Keith, really good stuff. And he was on fire all night. An amazing performance from Ronnie.

Keith seemed a bit subdued until midway through, but his big smiles all night made it clear he was super happy to be back on stage.

Charlie looked amazing in his white shirt - like a very classy jazz drummer (oh wait, that's exactly what he is!)

Mick was in fine form - it was clear that he was in charge last night and he seemed very focussed on making sure that the new show worked well. The guy is amazing, full stop.

All in all an amazing night.

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:18

Rushed trough the whole show now that it is on Youtube.

Well. There are some highlights, some funny mistakes, very good guitar sounds, but:

the whole thing is just too slow. Almost every song is played downtempo, not in a good sense.

Why?

I don't get it.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:20

I'm a bit confused by some comments, Keith can't be crap and lazy and brilliant at the same time.

I think its fair to say that Keith might have had a wee bit too much weed or something to calm first night nerves, and he wasn't very mobile, but he still put everything into the music nevertheless.
Its a bit of a stretch to say Ronnie was great and Keith was terrible. From what i have seen, apart from a mess up on Keith's first Sympathy solo in the wrong key ), he had a very successful first night ( for him, Keith is rarely great on first nights )
There's a lot more pressure on Keith than Ronnie, Ronnie is more of a filler in his guitar work, ( ok he does have a few great solo's to play ) but Keith's guitar is the main structure of the whole sound of most songs played. So much rides on Keith and it looks like the boys really have put everything into rehearsing these new songs together and re structuring the format of the delivery on most of the songs they played last night.
It all feels fresh and new, even the stage and lights. I thought this was what we all wanted. I find it hard to believe they have gone to all this time trouble and expense for 14 shows. I think they intend to carry on for a couple more years health permitting.

This show has won me over, its almost as though Mick has been listening to some of the criticism of the band and the setlists.
I thought Mick was magnificent, Under My Thumb just blew me away, he has never sang it better and i hope they keep it in the set every night.
With the songs slowed down a bit and also with Mick slowing down a bit, starting with Sympathy for instance, it gave him so much more breath to concentrate on his singing. He sounded better than for years, i take back any criticism i have of the man, he is truly unbelievable.
The setlist was very clever in this respect, we had songs in the mix that allowed Mick and the band time to catch their breath. I think these 14 shows will go down as the best set of dates since they started the 2012 50th celebrations. I think this show has the potential to eclipse the 05' 06' 07' tours. Not bad for a band of men in their mid 70's. They are taking this seriously and it obviously matters so much to them that they are not just seen as carrying on for the sake of it.( Like Eric Clapton for instance ) The Stones are trying something new at last, and my word it is paying off. Can't wait for Paris, i'm so pleased i got these tickets now, they are still THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD smoking smiley
My God could this band be getting better at delivering a more complete performance. I think so.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:21

Just woke up in Hamburg. What a night. The organisation was great. Of course some waiting but all in all smooth.

The night tops all of the shows I have seen. Why?

- The band really suprised with a great long new setlist
- 2 BL tracks were played
- Ronnie was on fire - is he really older than 30?
- Keith? Will get there. He was nervous.
- Mick. Jawdropping entertainment. So good. His voice. Wow.
- the screens are great, kind of like four cellphones next to each other that again form a widescreen
- Did I mention the setlist? And 22?
- Highlights: a strong MR, UMT, Dancing, Miss you was tight!

Next up: Düsseldorf and Paris 3.

Cheers
Schwonek

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:23

Beyond expectations from following online. Looking at catching 1-2 more shows now!
How much did Mick use the catwalk/b-stage?

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:27

nankerzrk
schwonek
Short review. THIS WAS AMAZING. What a great setlist - never complain again! So many auprises and really a lot of energy from Ron and Mick. Keith seemed distracted but the sound was overwheling. And the screens are jus aweseome!

-> what happened to Keiths pants?

Bump... Anyone notice Keith's pants when he went up to do his spiel before his songs?

Looked like he ... spilled sth on his leg.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 10, 2017 12:28

Thank you guys for all the photo's and videos and your reviews.

Great Set ! Really good performance for a tour opener too.
They really sound well rehearsed. Jagger is in really fine vocal form, play with fire : a GREAT version.
GS : Ronnie is good, Sasha too.

Looking forward to the rest of the tour.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2007
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home