Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any Elvis fans also fans of the Stones ?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: September 9, 2017 03:16

I recently saw Dwight Eisenhower, the best Elvis impersonator of Elvis in the world, and was very impressed. This prompted me to listen to a best of Elvis CD I had not listened to in years. I was shocked at his perfect diction, the incredible range of his voice, and the passion with which he performed and sang. On Surrender, his voice exuded sexual tension, and his renditions of Are You Lonesome Tonight and That's When Your Heartaches Begin were great. His singing of I Want You, I Need You, I Love You showed the ability to move from high notes to low notes with speed and little effort. Such a Night was really a wild ride.

Back in the sixties, many people may have considered Elvis to have been blasé and too much a part of the Establishment (never knew what that last word really meant). But this man was talented. I may be biased because I was a teen in Memphis when Elvis became very famous.

Could the Stones have been influenced by Elvis' brand of rock music. ?

Re: Any Elvis fans also fans of the Stones ?
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 9, 2017 03:23

Mick does Elvis in Charlie Is My Darling

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: September 9, 2017 03:49

Everybody is an Elvis fan... come on man...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:10

As a black friend of mine who grew up in southern U-S-A put it in a discussion about Elvis, "Hey, May, that mothef**ker could sing." Have always loved Presley and his voice. Here's a few of my faves by him.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:19

Me, and I'm going to say this again: Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special was the pinnacle of Rock and Roll. Nothing ever topped it. Also, no one - not one woman or one man - ever looked better than Elvis did during those performances. Watch them. It's almost like he's embarrassed by the otherworldly talent, charisma and sex appeal that is pouring out of his body. Truly stunning. I always hate it when people mock him for the way it all ended because in his prime he was utterly remarkable.

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:34

I love the Stones, but the King is the only one ahead of them for me. Great music, great talent, and a very interesting (although tragic) life. Everyone praises the Sun recordings and his early RCA stuff, but I love the late 60s/early 70s period the most. From Elvis in Memphis may be my favorite album of all time.

Date: September 9, 2017 05:39

Weird thing...
Elvis was so damned old when he died back in the day... so damned old.
Then today I look (again) and... he was only 43 when he died... so damned young.

Only 43 years young, that is too soon for a man like Elvis sad smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 9, 2017 06:38

Chester
Me, and I'm going to say this again: Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special was the pinnacle of Rock and Roll. Nothing ever topped it. Also, no one - not one woman or one man - ever looked better than Elvis did during those performances. Watch them. It's almost like he's embarrassed by the otherworldly talent, charisma and sex appeal that is pouring out of his body. Truly stunning. I always hate it when people mock him for the way it all ended because in his prime he was utterly remarkable.

thumbs up

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: September 9, 2017 08:54

Chester

Arguably so, sure. There are a few items from that performance on display at Elvis Presley's Memphis (across the street from Graceland), including the chair he sat on.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 9, 2017 09:38

HankM
Everybody is an Elvis fan... come on man...

True.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 9, 2017 09:40

I saw the Big E twice, both times in Greensboro, NC....1976 and 1977. Had tickets for the next tour but he exited for the last time for the Big Stage up above.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 9, 2017 10:35

Elvis from 1968-1973 is great; up until the Stax Recordings and he's at a peak. I also like what Sony / Legacy have done in re-evaluating his recordings on the retrospective sets.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 9, 2017 11:01

Chester

thumbs up

"otherwordly talent...pouring out of his body...truly stunning...utterly remarkable...."

u don't say?
hmmmm let me think about that....
yep.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 9, 2017 11:20

I don't know, he's OK I guess, I sort of remember and like his song Allison a bit: [www.youtube.com]

But, honestly, that Knebworth thread is making me a bit sick... I think I have to go lay down for a bit...

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: September 9, 2017 12:20

Elvis played one of his greatest (and longest) shows on December 31, 1976 at Pittsburgh. Here it is reconstructed almost in its entirety from audience films:
[www.youtube.com]

Seven and a half months before his passing he is in great shape, his singing is some of his best ever and he plays several unusual songs.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 9, 2017 12:39

SURE!

Date: September 9, 2017 14:58

MrEcho
Elvis played one of his greatest (and longest) shows on December 31, 1976 at Pittsburgh. Here it is reconstructed almost in its entirety from audience films:
[www.youtube.com]

Seven and a half months before his passing he is in great shape, his singing is some of his best ever and he plays several unusual songs.

Thank you for the link!! That is AWESOME!! SO many great songs ... and thankya thankyas smiling smiley

ELVIS
Unchained Melody
[youtu.be]

Date: September 9, 2017 15:06

Elvis sings Auld Lang Syne Dec 31st 1976
That is totally cool..... wow!

Thanks again for that link, that is awesome!
Cheerssmileys with beer to the people in the crowd who recorded.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 9, 2017 15:24

Chester

When people talk about the '68 Special, they are really talking about some specific parts of it, like when he does the medley of hits at the beginning ("updating" them with some slick Bones Howe arrangements--I have a perverse enjoyment of those horns that intro "All Shook Up" because they remind me of Laugh-In) and the legendary jam session (which according to Peter Guralnick, Elvis enjoyed so much as it was happening, he supposedly worked up a little jam of his own...). Those parts are timeless, but the bulk of it has cheesy '60's Variety show production values that are pretty cringeworthy with a few WTF moments (that brief 1920's interlude during "Guitar Man" in particular) But when the show is good, it's tear down the house awesome.

As for a pinnacle performance of rock, my vote goes for one from the previous year: Otis Redding at Monterey Pop.

As for another man who looked better, look at Marvin Gaye on the TAMI show. Now that is an example of a perfect human being, if only for that one night.

The comment about the From Elvis in Memphis album is spot on. The music that came out of those sessions at Chips Moman's American Studios is something I return to again and again, and it never lets me down.

[www.youtube.com]

You gotta love the stripper moves Elvis throws in at the end of this:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 9, 2017 16:35

Those original Sun Studios songs are freaking awesome.

The Stones allegedly covered "I'm Left You're right..." in Tokyo sessions for Stripped but it was never released..

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 9, 2017 17:35

Like Elvis a lot. He was not a songwriter, he was not a great guitar player, but he was and is his unique gospel voice.

Like a lot all his stuff, his first rock era, his country songs and his late seventies songs.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 9, 2017 17:53

who's elvis ???

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 9, 2017 19:06

I'm a fan of The Stones, and I'm a fan of both Presley, and Costello........

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 9, 2017 20:57

saltoftheearth

SURE!

I second that emotion!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: DD ()
Date: September 9, 2017 22:08

Hello. A couple of mentions above of the From Elvis in Memphis album. Well, anyone who hasn't heard the opening track, Wearin' That Loved On Look, really should find it and listen. Might be the funkiest thing the man ever recorded, and perhaps his most under-rated song as hardly anyone knows it.

Find it and dig the fohnk.

Declan

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 10, 2017 01:08

HankM
Weird thing...
Then today I look (again) and... he was only 43 when he died... so damned young.

I thought the same thing when he died, he was old fat and wasted IMO, I was 23 so he was almost double my age..... but now...yes he was way to young to die......... I'm 40 years older now. I'm a fan of is early stuff.

As for the question Elvis fans also fans of the Stones ? No Stones fan also a Elvis fan yes or probably.

Date: September 10, 2017 01:41

NICOS
HankM
Weird thing...

I thought the same thing when he died, he was old fat and wasted IMO, I was 23 so he was almost double my age..... but now...yes he was way to young to die......... I'm 40 years older now. I'm a fan of is early stuff.
thumbs up

I find it weird how age does this, growing old does this.
It is odd. I would have bet I would not feel this way... but...

...but CHEERS smileys with beer to us for getting old, it sure beats the alternativegrinning smiley

Date: September 10, 2017 06:22

MrEcho
[www.youtube.com]
ve

yes but you know why?
Cause he's the King. smoking smileysmiling smiley

Thanks for clip; hadn't see any of that. Less than 8 months to go...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 07:11 by hopkins.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 10, 2017 11:29

HankM
Weird thing...

Date: September 10, 2017 15:32

Yes I'm a big fan of The Stones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-10 19:49 by hopkins.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1782
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home