Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Are the Black Crowes the best qualified band to carry on the Stones' tradition ?
Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 12, 2005 18:05

I was trying to think of what band that is currently out there, or has been around for a while, is best qualified to carry on the Stones' tradition of bluesy, raunchy rock 'n roll should the Stones finally decide to "pass the torch", so to speak. The band that seems best qualified to uphold the tradition, I think, is the Black Crowes. Great blues-oriented/Southern rock tradition, a terrific frontman in Chris Robinson who has an incredible set of pipes, and a lead guitarist (Rich Robinson) who can really fire the flames and lay it down. Not to mention that they rock like a mother. What do you guys think ?

Re: Are the Black Crowes the best qualified band to carry on the Stones' tradition ?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 12, 2005 18:34

Aerosmith are the new Rolling Stones. At least, that's what somebody told me. In 1975.

Re: Are the Black Crowes the best qualified band to carry on the Stones' tradition ?
Date: September 12, 2005 18:36

I'd give the Crowes the nod over Aerosmith. Especially after the last two albums Aerosmith has put out.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 12, 2005 18:37

there is no band that will ever fit the bill.

john scialfa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-12 18:38 by backstreetboy.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2005 18:39

Thought the same thing when I saw them live a few times in the late 80's. I haven't seen or heard much of them lately. I know I always thought Michael Hutchins of Inxs,grhs, was the second coming of Mick Jagger. I don't think there will ever be a band that can even attempt to carry the torch on but, nevermind. Has anyone seen the black crowes in the last couple years? later, cw

Date: September 12, 2005 18:42

The Crowes are on tour right now and, from all reports, smokin' the stage.

Posted by: mark ()
Date: September 12, 2005 18:43

RockR......one word you used makes any band alright...."tradition"......kind of infers the Stones made their own mark and will not be topped. That kind of discussion is fine with me.....as long as we are not saying any current band has the history...or will have....to top exactly what the Stones accomplish.

Date: September 12, 2005 18:46

mark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RockR......one word you used makes any band
> alright...."tradition"......kind of infers the
> Stones made their own mark and will not be topped.
> That kind of discussion is fine with me.....as
> long as we are not saying any current band has the
> history...or will have....to top exactly what the
> Stones accomplish.

That's exactly what I meant. The Stones set the mark...I don't expect any band to top them, only asking who can best carry on their style and presentation.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 12, 2005 19:00

Thanks rockr, I gotta go check and see if the crowes are coming anywhere near me. cw

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 12, 2005 19:31

Nobody can or will fill the Stones' shoes....

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 12, 2005 19:45

Having seen both the Crowes and Petty recently I can absolutely confirm that Petty's band is much better qualified to carry the flag...

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 12, 2005 20:48

This is an interesting subject. I wondered yesterday why a band like the Black Crowes that essentially plays blues-soul/rock like the Stones is only playing small venues and is pretty much forgotten about. Why are the Stones such a large draw? I mean, they will be able to pack stadiums when band much younger and maybe more "vital" don't or can't.

Is it their legend? Thier music? Who they are? Their show?
Probably all of the above.

Posted by: orange cow ()
Date: September 12, 2005 20:51

the Crowes turned into The Allman Brothers
they lost me there

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: September 12, 2005 21:43

Not the Crowes. My band. Called: Rooster.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:03

Aerosmith is a far better band than the Crowes. And don't knock on Aerosmith's last 2 albums. Nine Lives is a fantastic album. One of my faves by them. Just Push Play was quite poppy I know but it did chart well (#2). 9 Lives was #1. Aerosmith is still a very very popular band and they have many many more hits than the Crowes and their stage presence is also more entertaining. If any band is going to "carry on the Stones tradition" it's Aerosmith. U2 is the only other 'Huge' band out there but they aren't like the Stones. Aerosmith is the band. End of story.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:05

They already have a bunch of crownprinces: TSOOL.
To achieve a tradition-bearer-title to the Stones you gotta
be Stones out of hell... And be able to play psychedelic stuff
mixed up with the ass-kickin rockers. That´s TSOOL.

They sound like the Stones 1967-72... <Just slightly more mature. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-12 22:05 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:07

I saw the Black Crowes once and was quite bored. There are hundreds if not thousands of bands "carrying on the tradition", even if most people don't notice.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:11

Had the Crowes sold out and done a rap song a la Aerosmith (Walk this Way with Run-DMC), they would have been huge too. Fortunately they didn't, and I still respect them, unlike Aerosmith.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:11

The most interesting point in this discussion, so far, is that all of the "heirs apparent", or "pretenders to the throne", are American bands.

By extension, then, one could argue that the Stones themselves are an "American" band, in that their influences are mostly from here.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:32

Plenty of good Scandanavian rock bands. And I think the Black Crowes doing rap can only be an improvement.

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 12, 2005 22:33

The Strokes can do that.....

Date: September 12, 2005 22:44

jumpinjackgreg Wrote:
> Aerosmith is a far better band than the Crowes.
> And don't knock on Aerosmith's last 2 albums. Nine
> Lives is a fantastic album. One of my faves by
> them. Just Push Play was quite poppy I know but it
> did chart well (#2). 9 Lives was #1. Aerosmith is
> still a very very popular band and they have many
> many more hits than the Crowes and their stage
> presence is also more entertaining. If any band is
> going to "carry on the Stones tradition" it's
> Aerosmith. U2 is the only other 'Huge' band out
> there but they aren't like the Stones. Aerosmith
> is the band. End of story.

I wasn't knocking Nine Lives. I was knocking Just Push Play and Honkin' on Bobo. Those are their last two albums. And, quite frankly, they both sucked. I like Aerosmith but they may (I said MAY) be starting to slide. And the popularity argument means nothing -- I'm referring to QUALITY of music.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: September 12, 2005 23:41

The White Stripes have some of the spirit & the rawness but their songs rarely come close.

Primal Scream have some of the songs and the look and the attitude but are very erratic & Gillespie's voice is painfully thin compared to Mick's.

I think the 22-20's may be the ones to watch.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: September 12, 2005 23:55

RockR Wrote:
and a lead
> guitarist (Rich Robinson) who can really fire the
> flames and lay it down. Not to mention that they
> rock like a mother. What do you guys think ?

Rich was never the best leadguitarist and he knows it. But he's a fantastic rhythm guitarplayer with once in a while an inspiring solo. He's the heart & soul of the band IMHO.
Glad Marc Ford is back on board.

Aerosmith is also top notch. And Joe Perry is again the great Joe Perry of the 70s - he lost it a bit in the mid/late 90s - although Nine Lives rules.

Anybody remember Reef? Totally forgotten, but a great band. Had a hit in the 90s with Naked & Place Your Hands. But all their albums are great.

Posted by: R ()
Date: September 13, 2005 00:03

I saw the Black Crowes earlier this summer doing their WOEFULLY incompetent jam-band schtick as opposed to their moderately entertaining Stones/Faces contrivance. There and then I decided they weren't qualified to even have a f-cking band in their basement let alone carry on anyone's tradition.

My friend (who WAS a huge fan) said let's go sit this one out.

Posted by: #6 ()
Date: September 13, 2005 00:05

Wanna-be Faces cover bands aren't exactly impressive are they?

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 13, 2005 00:23

Stonesfan70, I disagree with you 100%. I'm sure you've seen Mick and Bowie's awful rendition of Dancing In the Streets? That was probably the worst thing either of them has ever done. I love them both and I still respect them b/c I know they are great artists. Also, what Aerosmith did was not tacky. It was revolutionary and allowed rap to become what it is today. Even if you don't like rap, Aerosmith's part in rap is very important and if anything you should have respect for them for that, not disgust.

Date: September 13, 2005 00:41

It's hard to have respect for anything related to rap. It killed rock 'n roll as a cultural force and movement, and I will forever hold that against it. Plus I would argue it's not music -- it's a lot of ranting and raving about urban, dysfunctional living.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 13, 2005 00:43

The whole argument in favour of the Black Crowes might be justified if they actually had some decent songs, let alone memorable or classic ones.

It takes a lot more than just being able to play in a "Stonesy" style

I think their music is instantly forgettable, sorry. And when I saw them open for the Stones over 3 nights at Wembley Stadium in 1995, I thought they were one of the worst bands I've ever seen. Their appeal escapes me.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: September 13, 2005 00:50

There appeal is that they do a decent job covering Stones songs. That's bout it.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home