Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A little story about Mick in Montevideo - Uruguay
Posted by: varilla ()
Date: September 5, 2017 04:35

Mick was the one Stone who was out and about when they visited Montevideo in the OLE Tour. He went out to dinner and ended up in a birthday party for a local musician in quite a poor home, in a not so glamorous neighbourhood in town. Local fans were really warm in their hearts to this attitude, very far from the star we all could have expected. Mick was very nice to everybody in the house. I know some of the people there that night, and the all say the same. He was singing and dancing and drinking plain water from the tap (you can do this in Montevideo, but normally foreigners take care... Southamerica, you know...)
Mick is in Uruguay´s heart after that. Images from this party even made it to the OLE OLE film.

But what people in general don´t know, was his meeting with Nando Parrado, the Andes mountain plane crash survivor. Nando crashed in a plane in the Andes in 1972 with other 44 people in their way to Chile, including his Mother and Sister, who got killed in the accident. Most of the passengers belonged to a school rugby team who were going to play in Chile and have a little vacation.

Only 16 survived in one of the most epic human histories ever known. They were left to themselves after ten days of search. They were freezing themselves inside the broken fuselage, and had to eat the dead bodies of their friends in order to survive, since there was absolutely NOTHING to eat. After 72 days, Nando and his friend Roberto, litterally walked out of the Andes,in an extremely difficult expedition and finally made contact with someone in Chile.Nando was able to return to the plane in a couple of helicopters to rescue the remaining 14.
Nando is a local hero down here. He was contacted by Mick´s people while in Montevideo and invited to meet Mick in his hotel. Nando in person told me the story. He was really surprised by this. He went with his wife to Hotel Carrasco in the afternoon. He knocked on Mick´s door and Jagger himself opened. Of course, he knew Nando was coming up. Mick was very charming and extremely well educated. They chatted for a couple of hours , had tea and exchanged books ( Nando´s is a Best Seller around the world). Mick dedicated the Stones book to Nando´s daughters and invited all of them to the backstage next day. Nando told me Mick himself was pouring the tea in the cups. He was really interested in the Andes crash story, since he had seen the film hollywood made of it; ALIVE, and was well informed of Uruguay in general, and the story of Centenario Stadium, were they were playing next day.
A nice little story for us Uruguayans...

Re: A little story about Mick in Montevideo - Uruguay
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 5, 2017 04:45

Genial, varilla!

Very nice and heartfelt story, thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 5, 2017 07:04

Thank you for sharing.

Date: September 5, 2017 10:28

Just lovely. Thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 5, 2017 14:35

Yes, even if it was a bit staged, the OLE film seemed to show that Mick and to some extent Ronnie still like to do dome 'exploring' in their downtime.

Sadly Keith uses the word 'hassle' for reasons for not getting out more.
I would have thought that these days there would be far less intrusion than was the case in their 60s / 70s height of fame period.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 15:03

So good to read, thanks.

Date: September 5, 2017 15:35

jlowe
Yes, even if it was a bit staged, the OLE film seemed to show that Mick and to some extent Ronnie still like to do dome 'exploring' in their downtime.

Sadly Keith uses the word 'hassle' for reasons for not getting out more.
I would have thought that these days there would be far less intrusion than was the case in their 60s / 70s height of fame period.

He is still going to shows in the NYC area. Mostly with his family, judging by news reports.

Date: September 5, 2017 15:41

While in Montevideo, Keith hardly got out of his room.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 5, 2017 16:22

odean73
So good to read, thanks.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 23:48

varilla
Mick was the one Stone who was out and about when they visited Montevideo in the OLE Tour. He went out to dinner and ended up in a birthday party for a local musician in quite a poor home, in a not so glamorous neighbourhood in town. Local fans were really warm in their hearts to this attitude, very far from the star we all could have expected. Mick was very nice to everybody in the house. I know some of the people there that night, and the all say the same. He was singing and dancing and drinking plain water from the tap (you can do this in Montevideo, but normally foreigners take care... Southamerica, you know...)
Mick is in Uruguay´s heart after that. Images from this party even made it to the OLE OLE film.

But what people in general don´t know, was his meeting with Nando Parrado, the Andes mountain plane crash survivor. Nando crashed in a plane in the Andes in 1972 with other 44 people in their way to Chile, including his Mother and Sister, who got killed in the accident. Most of the passengers belonged to a school rugby team who were going to play in Chile and have a little vacation.

Only 16 survived in one of the most epic human histories ever known. They were left to themselves after ten days of search. They were freezing themselves inside the broken fuselage, and had to eat the dead bodies of their friends in order to survive, since there was absolutely NOTHING to eat. After 72 days, Nando and his friend Roberto, litterally walked out of the Andes,in an extremely difficult expedition and finally made contact with someone in Chile.Nando was able to return to the plane in a couple of helicopters to rescue the remaining 14.
Nando is a local hero down here. He was contacted by Mick´s people while in Montevideo and invited to meet Mick in his hotel. Nando in person told me the story. He was really surprised by this. He went with his wife to Hotel Carrasco in the afternoon. He knocked on Mick´s door and Jagger himself opened. Of course, he knew Nando was coming up. Mick was very charming and extremely well educated. They chatted for a couple of hours , had tea and exchanged books ( Nando´s is a Best Seller around the world). Mick dedicated the Stones book to Nando´s daughters and invited all of them to the backstage next day. Nando told me Mick himself was pouring the tea in the cups. He was really interested in the Andes crash story, since he had seen the film hollywood made of it; ALIVE, and was well informed of Uruguay in general, and the story of Centenario Stadium, were they were playing next day.
A nice little story for us Uruguayans...

Well, that explains it all....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 6, 2017 02:08

That's a great story! Many folks don't know how REAL Mick is, how approachable, kind, funny and genuine. More people should read this story! I had the pleasure of meeting Mick twice and both times he was extremely kind, just a wonderful human being!

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: September 6, 2017 03:51

Great story! Gracias for sharing!!!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:57

I hate myself for feeling that there is no way on God's green earth that Mick Jagger drank tap water at a house party in Montevideo.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 6, 2017 07:51

LongBeachArena72
I hate myself for feeling that there is no way on God's green earth that Mick Jagger drank tap water at a house party in Montevideo.

Well, sorry but let me say that he drank tap water in Lobo's house. Mick was asked to drink mineral water (which the anfitrion didn't really have but wanted to go and buy it especially for his special guest) but Mick answered he will drink what the owner of the house drinks. Of course I wasn't there but heard the story from Fernando Núñez and also from Rúben Rada.
Beside that I like to believe it's true and I personally drink tap water when I'm in Montevideo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 07:59 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 6, 2017 07:58

Thanks for sharing this kind story here varilla!
I knew about the Nando and Mick meeting (I even saw a pic on a newspaper) but didn't know the details. Lucky you know Nando in person! I shacked hands and took a pic with Roberto last summer and bought his book. It is always an open book to listen to these men!

Hats off to you varilla! Keep on rocking dear friend!
Cheers! smileys with beer

Date: September 6, 2017 14:59

Mick drank water from the tap indeed, believe it or not. He probably knew that you can do it in Momntevideo.
In reference with Mick being nice because the cameras were on, i can tell you that he was very nice to everybody in the restaurant he ate at (waiters, fans, etc) and he was very nice in his meeting with Nando, with no cameras at hand...

Everybody who interacted with him during his visit, only have praises for him

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:19

Well, why should he not have been nice?
He wanted to do these things/meet the people.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:21

Great story.....M

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 6, 2017 15:22

What a wonderful and interesting story very cool ........See ya in ten days...M

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 6, 2017 16:03

CousinC
Well, why should he not have been nice?
He wanted to do these things/meet the people.

Yes, it's a cool story and I've always read that Mick (and all of them, really) are pretty nice people unless you are messing up the guitar solo or get the lights at the show wrong.
Deep down they are still the same English kids who were excited to tour America and see cowboys and Al Capone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home