Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - U2 in Buffalo on Tuesday - Roger Waters on Saturday, which show is best?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 5, 2017 03:50

I never seen either, but if you could only see one which would you choose?

U2 is playing outdoors in New Era Field (formally Rich Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium). U2 is one show (Detroit) coming off a European tour.

Setlist: Detroit

The Whole of the Moon
(The Waterboys song) Tape
01. Sunday Bloody Sunday
02. New Year's Day
03. Bad
(With "America" (Simon and Garfunkel) snippet)
04. Pride (In the Name of Love)

The Joshua Tree:

05. Where the Streets Have No Name
(With "California (There Is No… more )
06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07. With or Without You
08. Bullet the Blue Sky
09. Running to Stand Still
10. Red Hill Mining Town
11. In God's Country
12. Trip Through Your Wires
13. One Tree Hill
14. Exit
(with "Wise Blood” & "Eeny,… more )
15. Mothers of the Disappeared
(with Patti Smith) (With "People Have the Power" (Patti Smith) snippet)

Encore:

16. Beautiful Day
(With "People Have the Power" (Patti Smith) snippet)
17. Elevation
18. Vertigo
(With "Panic in Detroit" (David Bowie) snippet)
19.Mysterious Ways
(With "Miss You" (Rolling Stones) snippet)
20. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21. One
(With "Hear Us Coming" snippet)

Roger Waters is playing indoors at Key Bank Arena. Roger Waters is one show coming off on Thursday after a small break since August 13.

Setlist: Nashville 8/13

Speak to Me
(Pink Floyd song) Tape
01. Breathe
(Pink Floyd song)
02. One of These Days
(Pink Floyd song)
03.Time
(Pink Floyd song)
04. Breathe (Reprise)
(Pink Floyd song)
05. The Great Gig in the Sky
(Pink Floyd song)
06. Welcome to the Machine
(Pink Floyd song)
07. When We Were Young
08. Déjà Vu
09. The Last Refugee
10. Picture That
11. Wish You Were Here
(Pink Floyd song)
12. The Happiest Days of Our Lives
(Pink Floyd song)
13. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
(Pink Floyd song)
14. Another Brick in the Wall Part 3
(Pink Floyd song)

Set 2:

15. Dogs
(Pink Floyd song)
16. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
(Pink Floyd song)
17. Money
(Pink Floyd song)
18. Us and Them
(Pink Floyd song)
19. Smell the Roses
20. Brain Damage
(Pink Floyd song)
21. Eclipse
(Pink Floyd song)
22. Mother
(Pink Floyd song) (tour debut)
23. Comfortably Numb
(Pink Floyd song)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 04:23 by The Sicilian.

Re: OT - U2 in Buffalo on Tuesday - Roger Waters on Saturday, which show is best?
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 04:01

The Sicilian
I never seen either, but if you could only see one which would you choose?

U2 is playing outdoors in New Era Field (formally Rich Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium). U2 is one show (Detroit) coming off a European tour.

Roger Waters is playing indoors at Key Bank Arena. Roger Waters is one show coming off a small break since August 13.

If you like The Joshua Tree Album go to see U2. I saw the show in Berlin some weeks ago. It was beautiful and the stage is awesome with a giant screen.

Re: OT - U2 in Buffalo on Tuesday - Roger Waters on Saturday, which show is best?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 5, 2017 04:56

If you like Pink Floyd, go see Roger Waters - I saw the current tour four times, and would happily see it again.
If you can't decide, then maybe flip a coin. If it lands in U2's favor, still go see Roger Waters instead - it's probably going to be his last tour.

A couple of reviews:

Kansas City
"Waters continues to prove why his musical legacy will live on for a very long time as Us + Them is a mind-blowing aural and visual experience. Easily the best rock tour of 2017".

Houston
"The Us + Them Tour has so much to take in and so much to digest that this review could be written three times over and still not really scratch the surface of it all. The combination of music and words and sound effects and lights and video creates so many moments likely to drop your jaw that processing them all is almost overwhelming"

L.A.
"A fierce examination of the big picture is rare for a rockstar of Waters’ stature; he’s the only guy left from the first wave of “dinosaur” rock bands who still fights with the fire and passion of a teenage anarchist in a Dead Kennedys shirt".

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 5, 2017 06:52

Sicilian-go with U2. They are touring (complete) one of their best ever albums. I live in Rochester but I have commitments and can't make it-otherwise I would have bought tickets weeks ago and gone....

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 07:53

I have seen Roger 4 times and U2 10 times. I would not hesitate and go to see both. If I only could make one show, then I would choose U2, since I personally like them more, but that is just me. The main downside of Roger's show is, that he is known for lip-syncing to pre-recorded vocals on some numbers, which I find intolerable, but I have somehow always enjoyed his shows a lot.

I haven't seen Roger on this tour yet. I saw U2 twice in Amsterdam a month ago and they were absolutely brilliant. If you would like to read my review and see my pics, they are here:

[u2start.com]
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 08:02 by Happy24.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 07:57

Luckily I saw U2 in June and will be seeing Roger in two weeks, so I didn't have to choose. That is a tough bind to be in.

However, as thoroughly enjoyable as the U2 show was for me, I think Roger's "Us+Them" tour is historically significant: both due to his very opinionated take on America's current political predicament, and due to the fact that, as Hairball said, it may well be his last major world tour.

I'd go with Roger in light of that.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 08:00

I am going to the U2 show in Buffalo

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: September 5, 2017 09:32

If you can, see them both. U2 will be great. Waters will be fantastic. If I had to pick just one, it would be Roger Waters.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 5, 2017 10:03

I would just go to both.

I saw U2, it was okay but the tour before was better. Roger Waters did 3 nights, only the last night was a possibility but I was sick and tickets were too expensive.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 5, 2017 10:35

Hairball
If you like Pink Floyd, go see Roger Waters - I saw the current tour four times, and would happily see it again.
If you can't decide, then maybe flip a coin. If it lands in U2's favor, still go see Roger Waters instead - it's probably going to be his last tour.

A couple of reviews:

Kansas City
"Waters continues to prove why his musical legacy will live on for a very long time as Us + Them is a mind-blowing aural and visual experience. Easily the best rock tour of 2017".

Houston
"The Us + Them Tour has so much to take in and so much to digest that this review could be written three times over and still not really scratch the surface of it all. The combination of music and words and sound effects and lights and video creates so many moments likely to drop your jaw that processing them all is almost overwhelming"

L.A.
"A fierce examination of the big picture is rare for a rockstar of Waters’ stature; he’s the only guy left from the first wave of “dinosaur” rock bands who still fights with the fire and passion of a teenage anarchist in a Dead Kennedys shirt".

Doesn't Waters 'mime' a bit? I have seen youtube vids of this show and his voice carries on even when he's nowhere near a mic. IF that's a LIVE show, well, heaven forbid PAYING for it.

Rod

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 5, 2017 10:42

I've seen U2 a bunch of times between 1985 and 2005, but couldn't be bothered with seeing them again, particularly in a stadium. Their music hasn't aged well. And then there's Bono fatigue.

The Waters show, on the other hand, is a perfect arena show. Big spectacle and nearly every commercial Floyd song you'd want to hear.

I didn't notice any miming at the Waters show I saw. That was a Wall tour thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-05 10:50 by ab.

Date: September 5, 2017 18:21

ab
I've seen U2 a bunch of times between 1985 and 2005, but couldn't be bothered with seeing them again, particularly in a stadium. Their music hasn't aged well. And then there's Bono fatigue.

The Waters show, on the other hand, is a perfect arena show. Big spectacle and nearly every commercial Floyd song you'd want to hear.

I didn't notice any miming at the Waters show I saw. That was a Wall tour thing.

smiling smiley It's ALL miming. Just listen him barely choking out words in his speaking voice.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: September 5, 2017 18:50

I might pay £50 to see U2 but Roger Water would have to pay me £100 to sit through him.

Date: September 5, 2017 22:54

exhpart
I might pay £50 to see U2 but Roger Water would have to pay me £100 to sit through him.

I been very lucky to catch both acts in their prime: I caught U2 in the early 90's at the CNE Stadium in Canada during the Zoo TV Tour and I thought the music and the spectacle were awesome.
Going back even further, I was extremely lucky during my senior year in high school (1975) to catch Pink Floyd in Hamilton, Canada for the Wish You Were Hear tour. Pink Floyd came out in the daylight and performed all of Wish You Were and then took a break and came back in the darkness and performed all of Dark Side of the Moon. What a show!

Date: September 6, 2017 00:17

Sighunt
exhpart

I been very lucky to catch both acts in their prime: I caught U2 in the early 90's at the CNE Stadium in Canada during the Zoo TV Tour and I thought the music and the spectacle were awesome.
Going back even further, I was extremely lucky during my senior year in high school (1975) to catch Pink Floyd in Hamilton, Canada for the Wish You Were Hear tour. Pink Floyd came out in the daylight and performed all of Wish You Were and then took a break and came back in the darkness and performed all of Dark Side of the Moon. What a show!

I saw U2 in 1983...that's when I consider them in their prime (although I did like some of the Joshua Tree album from '87).
I saw the original Pink Floyd Wall shows twice at the L.A. Sports arena, 1980 (also my senior in High school).
Considering they only played a limited run of shows in four cities (w/multiple shows in each), I also felt extremely lucky.

That said, I am extremely envious of you seeing them in 1975! smileys with beer

Date: September 6, 2017 01:00

I forgot to mention that Beck is opening for U2 tonight.

Date: September 6, 2017 01:07

it's ludicrous to say that roger waters is lip syncing. it's not true. when one of the guitar players in the band is singing a part or song that david gilmour sang, roger is somewhere else on stage playing guitar or bass and singing along, without a microphone. it's all happening in full view of the transfixed audience. there is no chicanery. he's singing the words he wrote. in fact, he wrote almost all of floyd's lyrics.

anyway, the word's overused, but his show is truly epic. don't miss it.

Date: September 6, 2017 01:12

keefriff99
Luckily I saw U2 in June and will be seeing Roger in two weeks, so I didn't have to choose. That is a tough bind to be in.

However, as thoroughly enjoyable as the U2 show was for me, I think Roger's "Us+Them" tour is historically significant: both due to his very opinionated take on America's current political predicament, and due to the fact that, as Hairball said, it may well be his last major world tour.

I'd go with Roger in light of that.

I do want to see both. Though only one may be feasible at this time. The thing about both shows is that U2 is a complete band, and Waters is a solo musician, which in reality I'm only getting 25% of a Pink Floyd show. Yet it doesn't appear as though most people see it that way. But I must say I thoroughly enjoyed Paul McCartney's show and it's kind of the same situation.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: September 6, 2017 02:05

Seen both.

U2 show was great for the nostalgia of Joshua Tree.

But Roger, to me, was hands down one of the most unique concert experiences I've ever been a part of. It is truly a feast for the eyes and ears. if you can get past it literally being an anti-Trump rally for portions of the show, it really is a sight (and sound) to behold.

Date: September 6, 2017 03:30

Well it looks like Roger Waters.

Checking Stub Hub U2 floor general admission tickets are going for $30 and up, seating in the bowl $10 to about $50 and upper deck for $8 Unbelievable

Date: September 6, 2017 03:54

The Sicilian
Well it looks like Roger Waters.

Checking Stub Hub U2 floor general admission tickets are going for $30 and up, seating in the bowl $10 to about $50 and upper deck for $8 Unbelievable

There have been mostly good reviews about the new U2 tour, but there have been mostly great and exceptional reviews for the new Roger Waters tour.
It really boils down to what band/music you like better, but you have chosen wisely imo.

If possible, try and avoid dead center from stage to back of arena - sounds odd, but in the case of this show a large portion after intermission would be obstructed from anywhere center. If floor, get as far side as possible at least 15 rows back, and for the best all around perspective lower loge either side at least 15 rows from stage and preferably half way back. Even higher up on the side would be good, as long as you stay away from center at the very back.

Date: September 6, 2017 04:31

highgatehillbilly
it's ludicrous to say that roger waters is lip syncing. it's not true. when one of the guitar players in the band is singing a part or song that david gilmour sang, roger is somewhere else on stage playing guitar or bass and singing along, without a microphone. it's all happening in full view of the transfixed audience. there is no chicanery. he's singing the words he wrote. in fact, he wrote almost all of floyd's lyrics.

Ludicrous? I thought it was a well known fact at this point.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 04:47

highgatehillbilly
it's ludicrous to say that roger waters is lip syncing. ..... his show is truly epic. don't miss it.

I don't doubt it's a big (epic) SHOW. But it's simply not all LIVE vocals from the LEAD vocalist.

As you're ON a Stones board, how'd you feel if you knew Jagger was doing this? Transfixed?

I think the "transfixed" audience are just that...transfixed, just like a good magician works his magic...

Rod

Date: September 6, 2017 05:06

Not defending him over it, but I wouldn't blow it out of proportion - he's known to do it for a couple of tunes but not the entire concert.
All of the new tunes for example are as live as ever and it's obvious as he's not the greatest singer in the first place.
Another Brick in the Wall is one of the tunes where he mimes over a pre-recorded track I believe - especially the beginning part where he yells "You, yes You...".

Aside from that, most of the classic Pink Floyd songs that are played were originally sung by David Gilmour, and he has a new guitar player (Jonathan Wilson) who perfectly handles the vocals on those.
(*It should also be noted that Roger Waters wrote 100% of the lyrics and nearly 99% of the music for all of those classics).

edit: There was some discussion in the U2 thread that Bono has been doing some miming this recent tour?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 05:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:59

highgatehillbilly

Here you have Roger's mic loud in the mix:

[www.youtube.com]

Here is the full concert from which the first clip is taken:

[www.youtube.com]

As Hairball wrote, he doesn't do it all the time, just on some numbers.

Also, check out the Live 8 video, where Roger sings live (at 13:45 for instance) and it sounds waaaay different to the absolutely perfect "live" vocals he puts on night after night after night on his tours.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 07:43 by Happy24.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 6, 2017 14:17

both were worth the money. i'd say get inexpensive seats for both. they are both huge spectacles so a bit of distance is good for perspective. & both had excellent sound in the whole venue. for me they were a tie for 2nd best of the concert season. the only show that topped them was midnight oil in a small theater.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 20:28

Was a big U2 fan in the 80,s, but went off them the more i got into the stones.

saw them in glasgow at the ssec in 1987 for the joshua tree tour, but for some reason that album just dosent appeal to me anymore and i have not heard it for years.

i just dont dig u2,s set lists anymore, they should have the 1980-84 period covered much more than they do.

u2 live at redrocks in 1983 was the band at their best, great gig and set list.

Date: September 6, 2017 20:32

U2 concert review Buffalo, NY on 9/5

[www.newyorkupstate.com]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 20:45

The Sicilian

yeah, this is kind of a big deal. transparency is coming! here's yesterday's lefsetz letter on the topic:

U2 TICKETS AT A DISCOUNT

Granted it's Buffalo, but...

Check out the prices:

[www.stubhub.com]

Not only the ones on the side, hover your mouse over the loge, the greenish/gold sections, where the tickets are so cheap, for the best seats in the house, your jaw will drop.

Yes, you can stand on the floor, but if you're in the loge, you've got a better viewing angle.

As for the floor, you can stand there for $27!! (It's even cheaper in some parts of the loge!)

So what is going on here?

1. It's a school night. And I'm not sure any act is immune, except for maybe the absolute hottest, Beyonce and Taylor Swift. Hell, I'm not sure any male act could do as good business, at least not without star support.

2. It's Buffalo. Turns out U2 can play stadia in the metropoli, the biggest markets, but outside of them..? Especially when it comes to older acts, people would rather overpay to be up close and personal, as opposed to being far away, just being in the building is not enough when you're fifty, which most fans of U2 are.

3. U2 is not as big as they say they are, never mind as big as they think they are. They haven't had a hit for years and they've got the bad blood of the Apple thing going on. It takes a long time to forget. Hell, fans have finally forgotten with Metallica, but the band spent years away from the market, playing overseas, if at all, and they put out a double album of new material that was well-received by their fans. Turns out U2 went back to the well too many times. Think about this, U2, the everyman band, does a classic album and does less business than a supposedly niche metal band. But contrary to conventional wisdom, U2 is not for everybody. And once you start playing entire LPs at a show you're an oldies act, no one expects you to have a hit again, this was a gross mistake, the band should not have gone out to play stadiums after failing to go clean in every arena the last time around.

4. Forget the people bitching that they can't sit in the front row for face value. Ten percent of the audience is ALWAYS gonna bitch. If you play to them, you're screwed. True fans know the game. That unless you're an insider, your chance of getting a good seat is close to zip. That's what's got me scratching my head with this Taylor Swift fiasco... She's not gonna take the credit card money for pre-sales? She's not gonna do any pre-sales at all? This isn't about getting good tickets in the hands of real fans, it's about commerce, plain and simple, utilizing the ignorant and uninformed to do your dirty work, stream your video so you can trumpet broken stream/sales records that no one really cares about. Wait until all these people boosting find out they're closed out, then the blowback is really gonna begin.

5. Brokers are never gonna go. Because promoters like them. They buy inventory right up front, providing cash and obviating risk to the promoter.

6. People speculate with tickets all the time, but being a broker is a profession. When the promoter and the act say a show is sold out, oftentimes it's not. So you buy extra tickets and get stuck with them. But you only do this a couple of times before you stop.

7. It's the acts that get hurt, not the brokers. The brokers make enough margin early on, with the good seats, that they can take a loss later down the line, they don't have to win on every ticket. But when the public finds out your tickets are going for less than ten bucks, good luck trying to get them to pony up in advance next time.

8. Despite all the hype about the on-sale date, the savvy are now waiting until the last minute. Or at least overpaying for great seats when they want to. Used to be you'd show up at the gig just before curtain when extras were released, now you just wait until a day before the show and see what demand really looks like.

9. We need a better system. But acts love the shenanigans. U2 is being paid by Live Nation, they don't care about each individual show.

10. The manager has to be concerned with the longevity of the act. You've got to give the illusion that the band is still on top. U2 would have been better off with a severe underplay, theatres, then buzz would have been amazing in every city. Instead, focused on setting box office records, making it about the money, they've hurt their long term prospects.

CONCLUSION

Everybody knows all this. Everybody knows about StubHub and brokers and pre-sales, except for the young and ignorant referenced above, but you learn. In other words, it's the internet that's gonna finally break the cone of silence, opaque curtain, manipulative antics of the music business. Transparency is coming. What are tickets really worth?

We're gonna find out.

Date: September 6, 2017 21:36

Personally I would agree with most of the above suggestions and go see Roger Waters.
I'd like to point out that many of the special effect which U2 uses are ideas which Pink Floyd used years ago.

There is a "Bono fatigue" at the concerts which I do not find appealing but the Roger Waters show will keep you excited until the finish. Although some of the newer songs did not go over as well as I expected them to.

If you are a Trump supporter you shouldn't go to either show.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home