Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Great article on Exile (really)
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: September 3, 2017 23:12

Can't find a thread for this subject so hope it has not already been posted.

[www.laweekly.com]

Redresses the balance - we all bang on about Nellcote but Sunset Sounds equally important

Re: Great article on Exile (really)
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 4, 2017 06:03

Great read! I learned a few things about my favorite album. Thanks!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 4, 2017 12:16

Nice. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 4, 2017 15:15

Great read Thanx

Posted by: Jfk19562003 ()
Date: September 4, 2017 19:02

Excellent

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 4, 2017 19:08

Thanks for posting! thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 4, 2017 19:12

Yes, great article.
Like it notes, many of those who recorded or played with the Stones are passing on, so hopefully their memories are recorded now.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2017 02:06

good read ... more looks into Exile

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: September 5, 2017 03:15

A great read; thanks, johnnythunders.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 5, 2017 06:22

Good stuff,thanx for sharing

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 5, 2017 08:59

Yes nice piece and thanks for that! Read the entire offering but early on this just stopped me:
"...recorded what many consider to be the best rock & roll album ever created..."

and I thought, "well...yeah, I mean there are a afew that just slay me in less than half the time with the same freight train kind of unavoidable sterling brilliance; maybe Specialty's Little Richard first LP or a handful of others that changed the world of music and the culture forever...but yeah....many times I've been unalterably sure that that is the best rock and roll album I've ever owned or heard, maybe ever created...it's huge what they've done here; it still kills me.
I'm not that comfortable with a LOT of the re-issues, and this future-shockian, digitized crappily EQed, ear-buds-buzzing that a few generations of prime demographic fans have been aurally handed, and eagerly absorbed without reference or perspective, but....yeh;
The slow grinding sure groove and perfect ragged commitment all through it; ALL through it, has both stunned and comforted me for decades; my soul food many a long night and broken day...torn and frayed as these things go in life....
...just tremendous stuff. the old pirate being young and zonked comes thru as usual hahaa. 'lets make postcards' and then passes out; acing the art design session. Love you Keith. Don't ever die. Like he could if he wanted to haha;
Old Lestat must be gettin' an infusion this week; gonna haul his ancient skinny ass up for another rock and roll show; Amaze-balls; go for it ya old dogs...still the big deal in the world when those boys walk onto a stage....i'm sure they'll be a few from Exile in the brew. smoking smiley

I do remember '72 and the first time I put that album on the turntable very cleary. Exacty the two friends I was with. True rock and roll soldiers, a little older than me and really good players too. Rocks Off followed by Rips...I just stopped right there and listened to the first two again. And then Rip a couple more times before we even moved on. It was pretty good. ;-)

Date: September 5, 2017 09:03

About a week or two after the US release of Exile four of us travelled
ta Melbourne looking for import copy of album .... Found it in Archie & Jugheads
when the store was down an arcade somewhere between Collins & Flinders .....

We were all flippin' over the cover and those track titles as we fell
outta the shop....outside we all opened the cover and started diggin' around
in the record slips and for some crazy reason I got lucky and scored
two sets of the cards ...... Can still remember all the other mates were
slaggin' me .... slammin' me against the wall and yellin' .... How did ya rig
that ya prick?....How come you get two-sets and we get one?..... Geeeeeez it could only happen to you.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 5, 2017 09:50

The Stones gods were smiling on you even then, Rockeee. winking smiley

hopkins
Yes nice piece and thanks for that! Read the entire offering but early on this just stopped me:
"...recorded what many consider to be the best rock & roll album ever created..."

And yet how many didn't, at the time.

I remember my first listen vividly, too--it was in my college dorm room on release day, and I put it on with trepidation because I was afraid after the previous three albums that it couldn't possibly be as good. (Good reason for that fear, I think!) It became my favorite album ever on first listen, and still is. But over the next few days I was reading all these tepid reviews and thinking "Have we been listening to the same album???" confused smiley

Thanks for posting, johnnythunders!

Date: September 5, 2017 10:34

The Stones gods were smiling on you even then, Rockeee.

Yeah funny Stones shit always happens around me ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 5, 2017 20:53

Fascinating. That's at least three Stones albums that began with one-word titles and ended with more intriguing additions:

Exile --> Exile on Main Street

Tattoo --> Tattoo You

Bridges --> Bridges to Babylon

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2017 06:10

great read, thanks!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 12:04

hopkins

I do remember '72 and the first time I put that album on the turntable very cleary. Exacty the two friends I was with. True rock and roll soldiers, a little older than me and really good players too. Rocks Off followed by Rips...I just stopped right there and listened to the first two again. And then Rip a couple more times before we even moved on. It was pretty good. ;-)

I recall my first listen as well, vividly. My mum was a travel agent and had picked up a copy in the UK when over on an "educational". Returned it to Perth one day before it's Aussie release. I did NOT want to listen to it on my little Philips flip lid record player, mono, so I begged some friends of Mum and Dad, who had a large Grundig stereo, to let me play it first at their place. THEY loved Mantovani....

I dropped the needle onto Side one, track one, with Al and Anita in their kitchen, some 5 meters away, turned the volume knob up, a touch, a waited...

I was startled. THEY were horrified. I picked the needle up and used a small brush to clean the needle - THAT must be the fault! Dropped it again.

Nup - same result. It sounded, after Sticky Fingers, so cluttered, raw and ... hurried.

Al and Anita went out to their back patio. I played it on...and on...

...IT WAS an experience I will never forget. Music I felt, music that was primal and primitive, no sheen, no polish. Real.

I played it thru three times, side one to four. Extraordinary day.

With the result that I went out and bought my own 'good' stereo!

Rod

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: September 7, 2017 08:01

Hey Rockman

Great story You're the coolest around here and there's lots of cool, gonna look you up when I visit your country...j

Date: September 7, 2017 08:05

okay Spider-Man .... bring ya sister too ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 7, 2017 15:47

Nice read!
Thanx.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 7, 2017 16:38

So good...
Thanks!

Exile's iconic cover "is basically the punk movement in graphic work," says Van Hamersveld, his mind still X-Acto knife sharp at age 76.
"It’s the start-out point.” Exile was seminal for the rip-and-tear graphic design look that's been used in a bazillion fanzines and Xeroxed, collaged show flyers since.

PUNK

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: September 9, 2017 05:42

OK Rockman.......and mom and grandma too

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2013
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home