Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Steely Dan's Walter Becker has died
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 15, 2017 21:01

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty

Two months after Walter Becker died unexpectedly on September 3rd, his cause of death remained a mystery. However, Becker's widow Delia has revealed that her husband died following an "extremely aggressive form of esophageal cancer."
"For me personally, his death was a devastating blow, as I know it was for many of you," Delia Becker wrote. "I am just beginning to emerge from its heartbreaking impact ... He just ran out of time much sooner than any of us thought possible."
In the weeks prior to Becker's death, he missed Steely Dan's Classic East and West concerts due to an unspecified ailment. "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon," Donald Fagen said at the time.
However, as Delia Becker writes, Walter was actually undergoing "an intense regimen of chemotherapy" at the time to combat the cancer, which "seemed to have come out of nowhere and had spread with terrifying speed."
Just four months after his diagnosis, Becker died at his New York City home "surrounded by his family, his music, and a blustery rainstorm — one of his favorite sounds — blowing outside the window."

Read Delia Becker's full letter below

As Walter Becker’s wife of many years, I wanted to share with his fans some information regarding his death that has not previously been reported. I realize this is overdue, and I hope you will understand why. For me personally, his death was a devastating blow, as I know it was for many of you. I am just beginning to emerge from its heartbreaking impact.

Walter died in the course of being treated for an extremely aggressive form of esophageal cancer. The cancer was detected during one of his annual medical checkups and its presence came as a grim surprise to Walter, his doctors and to me. It seemed to have come out of nowhere and had spread with terrifying speed.

Walter chose an intense regimen of chemotherapy at Sloan Kettering though, between the cancer’s aggressiveness and the overwhelming toxicity resulting from the chemotherapy treatments, Walter died less than four months after the cancer was detected.

Walter passed peacefully in our New York City home, surrounded by his family, his music, and a blustery rainstorm — one of his favorite sounds — blowing outside the window. In keeping with his wishes, he was cremated without ceremony or memorial in New York City.

Understandably, Walter wanted privacy during the course of his illness and he hoped for recovery. He wanted to be able to return to the stage and once again perform for his fans. It's important to me, as it was to Walter, that you all know he never intended to keep anyone in the dark about his condition. He just ran out of time much sooner than any of us thought possible.

The tsunami of tributes and remembrances that have followed Walter’s passing has been deeply moving. Even his "Number 1 Fan" — me — would not have predicted anything close to the depth and breadth of public expressions from those whose lives were enriched by Walter — by his talent, his kindness, and his skill at inspiring some wicked fun.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me and his loved ones know that Walter's mark on the world — and on all of you — will not soon fade.

Delia Becker

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 17:49 by schillid.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 15, 2017 22:35

schillid

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty

Two months after Walter Becker died unexpectedly on September 3rd, his cause of death remained a mystery. However, Becker's widow Delia has revealed that her husband died following an "extremely aggressive form of esophageal cancer."
"For me personally, his death was a devastating blow, as I know it was for many of you," Delia Becker wrote. "I am just beginning to emerge from its heartbreaking impact ... He just ran out of time much sooner than any of us thought possible."
In the weeks prior to Becker's death, he missed Steely Dan's Classic East and West concerts due to an unspecified ailment. "Walter's recovering from a procedure and hopefully he'll be fine very soon," Donald Fagen said at the time.
However, as Delia Becker writes, Walter was actually undergoing "an intense regimen of chemotherapy" at the time to combat the cancer, which "seemed to have come out of nowhere and had spread with terrifying speed."
Just four months after his diagnosis, Becker died at his New York City home "surrounded by his family, his music, and a blustery rainstorm — one of his favorite sounds — blowing outside the window."

Read Delia Becker's full letter below

As Walter Becker’s wife of many years, I wanted to share with his fans some information regarding his death that has not previously been reported. I realize this is overdue, and I hope you will understand why. For me personally, his death was a devastating blow, as I know it was for many of you. I am just beginning to emerge from its heartbreaking impact.

Walter died in the course of being treated for an extremely aggressive form of esophageal cancer. The cancer was detected during one of his annual medical checkups and its presence came as a grim surprise to Walter, his doctors and to me. It seemed to have come out of nowhere and had spread with terrifying speed.

Walter chose an intense regimen of chemotherapy at Sloan Kettering though, between the cancer’s aggressiveness and the overwhelming toxicity resulting from the chemotherapy treatments, Walter died less than four months after the cancer was detected.

Walter passed peacefully in our New York City home, surrounded by his family, his music, and a blustery rainstorm — one of his favorite sounds — blowing outside the window. In keeping with his wishes, he was cremated without ceremony or memorial in New York City.

Understandably, Walter wanted privacy during the course of his illness and he hoped for recovery. He wanted to be able to return to the stage and once again perform for his fans. It's important to me, as it was to Walter, that you all know he never intended to keep anyone in the dark about his condition. He just ran out of time much sooner than any of us thought possible.

The tsunami of tributes and remembrances that have followed Walter’s passing has been deeply moving. Even his "Number 1 Fan" — me — would not have predicted anything close to the depth and breadth of public expressions from those whose lives were enriched by Walter — by his talent, his kindness, and his skill at inspiring some wicked fun.

Thank you, everyone, for helping me and his loved ones know that Walter's mark on the world — and on all of you — will not soon fade.

Delia Becker

[www.rollingstone.com]

Wow. Thank you for posting this update.

Date: November 15, 2017 22:36

Thank for posting this. Walter was a great guitarist in a great band. RIP.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 15, 2017 23:27

A beautiful tribute from his wife!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2017 23:34

Thanks for posting schillid.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 16, 2017 02:25

Schillid, thank you.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 16, 2017 03:54

you live day to day when you get old

Date: November 16, 2017 04:43

Date: November 16, 2017 06:28

I made it to the twins, lol. That was great (and bizarre just like that era)

Date: November 16, 2017 07:05

The cuervo gold. That's the punchline. That's the destination marked on the well-worn map.

How Walter Becker gets us there, which road we're going to go down, what we're going to see on the way...that's the beauty of the thing.
So join us across a decade of Walter's rants, raves, and raps.
Sit down with your favorite drink...not beer or bourbon, but that stuff from south of the border, hecho en Mexico, made from a magic space cactus...

Girls, what's the stuff in the bottle?

The Walter Becker Digital Archive is an archive of WB's legendary improvisational gems otherwise known as his Hey 19 Raps

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 16, 2017 09:21

i rode with this cab driver 1 time in vegas. she was awesome!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2017 17:37

Has anybody read Donald Fagen's biography? How was it?

Date: November 17, 2017 18:35

I read Eminent Hipsters. I enjoyed it.

It begins in the 50s when Donald is a teen and he writes intelligently about musical and cultural influences.

The second part of the book documents his tour a few years ago with Mike McDonald and Boz Scaggs, "The Dukes of September".

The big gap in the story is that it's missing a part in the middle that I hoped it would have: the 60s, 70s... There's not much Steely Dan info in the book!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 17, 2017 19:43

schillid
I read Eminent Hipsters. I enjoyed it.

It begins in the 50s when Donald is a teen and he writes intelligently about musical and cultural influences.

The second part of the book documents his tour a few years ago with Mike McDonald and Boz Scaggs, "The Dukes of September".

The big gap in the story is that it's missing a part in the middle that I hoped it would have: the 60s, 70s... There's not much Steely Dan info in the book!

Thank you

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2017 10:43

& now come the lawyers. sad.

[pitchfork.com]

Date: November 22, 2017 10:56

crholmstrom
& now come the lawyers. sad.

[pitchfork.com]

Yuck...

Date: November 22, 2017 16:30

This could get messy.

Just a couple of months after the death Walter Becker, Donald Fagen has filed a lawsuit against his decades-long Steely Dan bandmate’s estate. At the heart of the suit is control over the use of the band name itself. As the Hollywood Reporter noted, back in 1972 when the band became incorporated, Becker and Fagen entered into what’s called a Buy/Sell agreement. Essentially what that means is that in the event someone quit the band or died, Steely Dan as an entity purchases all of that members shares. In this case, as the sole living member of the original Steely Dan, that would make Fagen the sole owner of the band itself.

Shortly after Becker’s death, his estate sought to appoint his widow as an officer of Steely Dan while demanding 50 percent ownership. In Fagen’s view, this move violates the 1972 agreement. “By the 2010s, Fagen and Becker were the only remaining shareholders and signatories to the Buy/Sell Agreement,” his attorney Louis “Skip” Miller outlined in his complaint. “Four days after Becker’s death, on September 7, 2017, the Becker Defendants sent Fagen a letter stating that ‘We wanted to put you on notice that the Buy/Sell Agreement dated as of October 31, 1972 is of no force or effect.'”

In addition, Fagen is also suing the band’s management firm, Nigro, Karlin, Segal, Feldstein & Bolno claiming that they’ve been withholding records. “Especially now, with the Becker Defendants taking a position adverse to Steely Dan and with the Becker Defendants retaining NKSFB, a full and complete accounting is necessary to protect Plaintiffs’ interests,” Miller continued.

All told Fagen is seeking recognition of himself as sole owner of the Steely Dan name and all rights that come along with it and upwards of $1 million in damages .

The lawsuit is HERE.

Date: November 22, 2017 16:39

Better call Saul

Date: November 22, 2017 18:29

In the link provided by chrolmstrom, it says:

"The complaint, obtained by Pitchfork, focuses on a 1972 buy/sell agreement (a buyout agreement) signed by Steely Dan’s members,
which allegedly stated that whenever a member of the group quits or dies, the rest of the band purchase that member’s shares in the group.
In the last few years, Becker and Fagen were the last remaining shareholders".

I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't Fagan be considered "the rest of the band" now?

"(Becker's) estate sent a letter to Fagen claiming that the 1972 agreement “is of no force or effect.”
They also allegedly sought to give 50 percent ownership of the band to Becker’s widow".

Why would it be "of no course or effect" which I'm assuming means voided?
Is the estate being greedy bastards? Do they have a valid argument? And if so, what is it?
Why wouldn't the estate agree to be bought out and abide by the initial agreement ($$$)?
What would Walter think of this mess?

A shame this wasn't all dealt with properly before he passed away...

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 22, 2017 18:41

Either way, Walter's estate is getting money, right?
Becker gets the name, but he has to pay Becker's estate 50 pct of the value of 'Steely Dan.'

Date: November 22, 2017 18:44

wonderboy
Either way, Walter's estate is getting money, right?
Becker gets the name, but he has to pay Becker's estate 50 pct of the value of 'Steely Dan.'

Yes Fagan would get the name, but would pay 50% of the current value of Steely Dan to Becker's estate whatever that is.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 22, 2017 18:57

Seems like Donald is being rational about this and wants to continue with Steely Dan.
Giving 50% to Becker's estate is more then fair. He could go on without the Steely Dan moniker and still play the SD hits and not give Becker's estate anything.
Walter's wife also seems like a rational person.
Its the F'n lawyers that are creating this mess! Its a shame that it always comes down to the $$!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 22, 2017 20:08

To anyone who has actually read the claims:

Does this basically come down to Walter's estate saying that they aren't willing to accept a buyout for Walter's portion of the band at current market value but want to have the estate control 50% of the business entity that is "Steely Dan" in perpetuity?

If that's the case, I hope that the original agreement is found to be binding.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: November 22, 2017 21:25

It is interesting.
I wonder if Walter Becker had updated HIS wishes IF they had changed.
IF he wanted his wife/ family to have future decisions (50% to be exact)
on Steely Dan’s future,
surely he would have updated legally since he was in chemo for months/
death on the mind.
Otherwise, I’d say original agreement stay in place too.
My .02 cents
RIP Walter Becker

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: November 22, 2017 21:50

mr_dja
To anyone who has actually read the claims:

Does this basically come down to Walter's estate saying that they aren't willing to accept a buyout for Walter's portion of the band at current market value but want to have the estate control 50% of the business entity that is "Steely Dan" in perpetuity?

If that's the case, I hope that the original agreement is found to be binding.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Can someone just come and say the original agreement is just....gone? I noticed that there is revocable trust. Does that override the original?

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 20, 2017 04:17

Interesting Podcast interview with Fagen

[www.rollingstone.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: December 20, 2017 05:12

rattler2004
Interesting Podcast interview with Fagen

[www.rollingstone.com]

Thank you. I did not listen to the podcast, but read the small part transcribed below.
Donald Fagen sounds like he drinks from the fountain of youth.
That’s a good picture of him, too.
I think I am 25 years younger than him,
and go day to day.
He sounds like he plans on touring regularly for the next 25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 05:13 by 35love.

Date: December 20, 2017 05:37

Thanks Rattler - I haven't listened to the full interview yet either, but read "highlights" of the article. Lots of good stuff there. thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home