Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: 10 underrated stones songs
Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 26, 2017 18:22

Only ten? OK, I'm counting...

Winter
Down In The Hole
One Hit To The Body
Dirty Work
Had It With You
I Go Wild
Blinded By Rainbows
Dance Little Sister
The Hand of Fate
Crazy Mama

I could mention 50 more. Easily...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 26, 2017 18:28

matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
4. Tie You Up (Pain of Love)
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
8. Who's Driving Your Plane?
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

I hate when people call songs underrated. They are all rated right where they should be. IF they are not popular songs then its because they are not that well liked. One's personal preference doesn't make everyone else wrong.

If you are saying songs that are not popular that you like then this is a great list for my taste.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 26, 2017 19:04

stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

I hate when people call songs underrated. They are all rated right where they should be. IF they are not popular songs then its because they are not that well liked. One's personal preference doesn't make everyone else wrong.

If you are saying songs that are not popular that you like then this is a great list for my taste.

:"that are not popular" Well then they are underrated in your opinion grinning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 26, 2017 19:26

Best I could do with one try would be 20 of 'em but at least 5 are covers I think; so with that caveat I've added an extra five to 15 tracks scrolling thru their catalog briefly; picking out favorites that stood out to me; and that I
have always really loved. Then for the hell of it I put another five because as I kept scrolling the studio catalog I saw some more I loved.

I tried to avoid more obviously well known 'second - tier' things that might have been singles for a minute, but are sorta well known by fans and appreciated somewhat by general public...I didn't do well in every case; I think some of these would be sorta obvious to a LOT of fans, but certiainly not general public per se, over the decades. They are fed only a few things unless they jump in with both feet and are motivated and inspired to go through the cat as we have...
...and also obviously during some of the Golden Period I couldn't find anything I didn't love and that wasn't famous all the way through pretty much, at least to my friends, and little more than 'casual' fans per se....

...i think safe to say, for me anyway, that these have always been favorites and brought me closer to really loving them.

As I scroll to each of your lists, I see little handfuls of things I almost included, or WOULD def include, and have avoided some of these too, to not make it too samey; those DID catch my eye and heart, I think each and every poster above me here nailed me with at least one or two; but again, as I quick-scrolled thru the studio releases, all of these caught my eye immediately:

Rt. 66
Around and Around
Down Home Girl
She Said Yeah
Blue Turns To Grey

My Obession
All Sold Out
Miss Amanda Jones
2000 Man
Factory Girl

Torn And Frayed
Silver Train
Dance Little Sister
Summer Romance
Hang Fire

Had It With You
New Faces
Brand New Car
Saint Of Me
Back Of My Hand

Bill and Charlie in almost all of 'em. Mick sings lead on all of 'em; tho I passed on some sterling KR vocal tracks because they are so well known to me.
I'm a huge Taylorite but Mickey T. shows up on only three I think. That might also be saying that he's on so much obvious and deserved famous stuff not included here.
Ron's on less than a third, but a substantial showing, all things considered.
It's really not his fault that a lot of the post Mickey T. stuff starts, for me anyway, to slide downhill after Taylor and certainly after Bill imo for the most part.
Brian's on almost half of all of these and deservedly so imo.
Session man and tour-jockey Darryl is showing up on a good five of these as well; ditto the same sitch w Stones Ron.
Nicky not so much here because what he did was so slamming and obvious all over their bestest stuff, once he arrived and started doing sessions and tours.
Not sure how many Stu is on but I think of him hugely when I think of 'underrated' or 'invisible,' somewhat, at least to more general fans.
Same w Piano Jack I think.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-26 19:43 by hopkins.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 26, 2017 20:46

1. Thru the Lonely Nights
2. Tops
3. Jiving Sister Fanny
4. Child of the Moon
5. Tallahassee Lassie
6. Let it Loose
7. Down in the Hole
8. Plundered My Soul
9. Rough Justice
10.Soul Survivor

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 21:13

PhillyFAN
1. Thru the Lonely Nights
2. Tops
3. Jiving Sister Fanny
4. Child of the Moon
5. Tallahassee Lassie
6. Let it Loose
7. Down in the Hole
8. Plundered My Soul
9. Rough Justice
10.Soul Survivor

Rough Justice underrated? They played it on most shows 2005-07. And then fortunately never again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-26 21:14 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 26, 2017 21:36

Down In The Hole

Pretty Beat Up

Everything Is Turning To Gold

Plundered My Soul

Out Of Time

Flight 505

She Smiled Sweetly

Fingerprint File

Black Limousine

Heaven

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 21:53

Tell Me
Out of Time
Miss Amanda Jones
Jigsaw Puzzle
Prodigal Son
Let It Loose
Soul Survivor
Time Waits for No One
Think I''m Going Mad
Continental Drift

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 26, 2017 23:24

You Should Have Seen Her Ass.....

Srceeeeems for official release and then I get ta find out the lyrics ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 26, 2017 23:40

Some great lists - "Child of the Moon" and "Out of Time" are excellent examples.
I will add "Can't you hear the Music" from Goats Head.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 27, 2017 00:01

yeh child of the moon and out of time; so much good stuff; so much dear wonderful stuff, for many many years and many many consecutive albums, the entire album was always satisfying in it's entirety; always worth the wonderful trip; and even now...i listen to that shit alla time; i'm logging off to listen now; and walk around proud and happy and in the groove, on my way to hear some live rockin' music outdoors on a big stage, by an open field and by the sea, with a happy rockin' moving crowd groovin' all as one; it's so beautiful; it's so beautiful; it's such a joyuous precious thing in life. I'm so grateful to know where the real medicine is...

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 27, 2017 00:14

I always liked Soul Survivor from Exile.

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: August 27, 2017 01:06

Early Covers:
Around and Around
Mercy Mercy
plus It's All Over Now, which is more a reinvention than a cover - listen to Bobby Womack's version versus the Stones incredible version.
same can almost be said for Not Fade Away, but the Stones version isn't as different and Not Fade Away was an opener for one tour, so not as "underrated".

Two Later Songs (for very different reasons):
Winter
Blinded By Rainbows

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 27, 2017 01:49

NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

:"that are not popular" Well then they are underrated in your opinion grinning smiley

Exactly. But it's not only that. For me, underrated also means songs that people that don't know the Stones wouldn't inmediately appreciate or even recognize as particular good, and they would miss out on so much. And I don't mean these songs should be hits (like Satisfaction or JJF or Start Me Up obviously are) but as songs that reveal some special strenghts which are so typical of the Stones. Obviously naming only 10 is hard, because you might as well mention the entire Exile album. For me, I was hesitating for a long time between "Anyway You Look At It" and "Citadel". (And then there's "Jiving Sister Fanny", "Melody", "You Got The Silver", "Long Long While", "Stoned"... Oh well, the list is endless...)

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: August 27, 2017 11:06

underrated by Jagger : their complete work minus their current setlist ...

Date: August 27, 2017 11:31

matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

Exactly. But it's not only that. For me, underrated also means songs that people that don't know the Stones wouldn't inmediately appreciate or even recognize as particular good, and they would miss out on so much. And I don't mean these songs should be hits (like Satisfaction or JJF or Start Me Up obviously are) but as songs that reveal some special strenghts which are so typical of the Stones. Obviously naming only 10 is hard, because you might as well mention the entire Exile album. For me, I was hesitating for a long time between "Anyway You Look At It" and "Citadel". (And then there's "Jiving Sister Fanny", "Melody", "You Got The Silver", "Long Long While", "Stoned"... Oh well, the list is endless...)

To be honest, people would fall asleep if they played Anyway You Look At It in concert.

Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: August 27, 2017 11:43

First 10 now
Winter
Coming down again
Love in Vain
Out of time
The worst (not over happy or YGTS but over almost all other of Keith's)
She smiled sweetly
I got the blues
Star star
Shuttered
Beast of burden

Date: August 27, 2017 12:44

Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

To be honest, people would fall asleep if they played Anyway You Look At It in concert.

I think people would manage to stay awake for a Mick/Keith duet...

Date: August 27, 2017 13:02

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

You and me we would wait for SFTD for the bathroom break, but I'm not sure if the "casual" concert-goers would. AYLAI will never be performed, it's too slow and it's a B-side. Not even in a club gig. Even in Clubs they play almost only catchy numbers.

Date: August 27, 2017 13:16

Monsoon Ragoon

Maybe, but I don't think "playable in concert" is the only criterium to judge a song. I don't think "Heaven" would work live either, and I seriously doubt "Slave" would. Still, they are great songs.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2017 20:48

Stoned
Stewed and Keefed
The under assistant...
Down Home girl
Dandelion
Long Long while
Off the hook
My obsessions
Flight 505
Memory

2 1 2 0

Date: August 27, 2017 20:53

matxil
Monsoon Ragoon

Maybe, but I don't think "playable in concert" is the only criterium to judge a song. I don't think "Heaven" would work live either, and I seriously doubt "Slave" would. Still, they are great songs.

Yes. But that means Heaven or AYLAI are in fact not underrated but just unplayable live. Look what happened to Might As Well Get Juiced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-27 20:54 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: August 28, 2017 01:18

Winter
Coming Down Again
Salt of the Earth
Jigsaw Puzzle
Child of the Moon
Dandelion
Hand of Fate
Parachute Woman
Out of Tears
One Hit

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: August 28, 2017 02:42

When I hear the word underrated, I tend to think of stuff that gets lots of (imo) undeserved criticism or generally has a bad or mediocre reputation. That is different to me than a list of songs I like that aren't very popular. I LOVE No Use in Crying, but I wouldn't call it underrated, more like under appreciated. Perhaps that's the same to some people. Anyway, my list would be something like:

Angie (Gets derided for being too shmaltzy or commercial)

I Just Want to See His Face (Some people just don't get this song. It's Exile in a nutshell)

If You Really Want to Be My Friend (Some great soulful singing from Mick, and I love Keith's guitar sound on stuff like this and Through the Lonely Nights)

It Must be Hell (Many on here think it's the epitome of a generic, uninspired rocker. I don't care, it's catchy as hell.)

Blinded by Rainbows (Loved by some here and hated by others. Love Ronnie's solo and the whole thing really.)

Too Tight (This one doesn't get trashed so much as lumped in with some of the not so great stuff on its album, but I think it's a standout and it contains one of Keith's last great solos on record)

Indian Girl (It's not that bad! Goofy? Yes. Bill and Charlie sound great though, as does Ronnie's pedal steel. Not great, but it's not the nadir it's made out to be.)

Look What the Cat Dragged In (This almost always gets left off the "What if we made ABB into a single album with 10 songs" lists, and I don't know why. Lots of energy, and stellar solos from Ronnie.)

Start Me Up (Gets written off as the ultimate warhorse, but the studio cut rocks and rolls beyond belief)

Rock and a Hard Place (Another one with a great Ron Wood solo that unfortunately gets put in the "trash" category, and it's a shame. Also a great bass line from Bill, and it's one of the last examples of Charlie's 80s dancy "4 on the floor" style that I love so much. Sterile 80s sound? Many here think so. Makes me dance, that's for sure.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 28, 2017 06:59

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

I don't consider it a duet. Keith's vox contribution is more of a background than duet. If this is a duet, than wouldn't something like Just A Gift, from Keith's solo, be a duet? At one point the "that's alright" has no Keith singing on it.

Date: August 28, 2017 11:37

Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon

Yes. But that means Heaven or AYLAI are in fact not underrated but just unplayable live. Look what happened to Might As Well Get Juiced.

No, they are also underrated in the sense of "not often talked about", "a bit overlooked", "songs people wouldn't normally appreciate and/or think of as Stones songs". Undercover is unplayable live too, but it's not underrated. Everyone knows that song and most people like it.
Might As Well Get Juiced is terrible, so that's an entire different issue.

Date: August 28, 2017 12:23

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

I don't consider it a duet. Keith's vox contribution is more of a background than duet. If this is a duet, than wouldn't something like Just A Gift, from Keith's solo, be a duet? At one point the "that's alright" has no Keith singing on it.

Keith sings the bridge alone on AWYLAI.

Same type of duet as Slipping Away, where Mick does the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-28 12:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 28, 2017 14:29

matxil
Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
Monsoon Ragoon

No, they are also underrated in the sense of "not often talked about", "a bit overlooked", "songs people wouldn't normally appreciate and/or think of as Stones songs". Undercover is unplayable live too, but it's not underrated. Everyone knows that song and most people like it.
Might As Well Get Juiced is terrible, so that's an entire different issue.

They and we can not overrate 300 or 400 official songs.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 28, 2017 17:57

Think i'm going mad
Highwire
Sex drive

No songs, released on an official studio album are underrated. These albums are all million sellers. Songs, that the Stones never played live are not automatically underrated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-28 19:03 by deardoctor.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 28, 2017 18:22

DandelionPowderman
LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon
matxil
NICOS
stanlove
matxil
No particular order:

1. I Am Waiting
2. No Use For Crying
3. Heaven
5. Feel On Baby
6. Slave
7. Don't Know Why
9. Anyway You Look At It
10. One Hit

Keith sings the bridge alone on AWYLAI.

Same type of duet as Slipping Away, where Mick does the same.

Think it's a stretch for both of these. I wouldn't call Slipping Away a duet either. Memory Motel or Something Happened To Me, those are duets. Coming Down Again, not a duet!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home