Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29
Re: OT: NFL 2017 season
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 22, 2018 08:33

keefriffhard4life
from an article for those wondering about penalties.

As the clock runs out, you can see Referee Blakeman giving Brady congratulations on advancing to his eighth Super Bowl. Evidence of conspiracy? Of course not. But it’s more than enough to set off the anti-Patriots contingent … which, at this point, includes pretty much everyone outside of Massachusetts and some lame bandwagoners.

Add that to the fact that the Patriots had exactly one — ONE — penalty called against them all game. Per NFL Research, that’s the fewest penalties called on one team in a playoff game since the 2011 AFC championship … when the Patriots had exactly one penalty called on them in a victory against the Ravens.

Interesting comment; Got me to thinking and researching a bit.
I'd be among the first of Patriot fans to point out the remarkable skills
and execution; and think this just sour grapes...
I spent many years in NH and VT at different times in my life and always want them to do well...cause for sure The Red Sox are gonna break a million hearts every summer lol...

...but who knows for sure how dirty or rigged or fixed things could be....
There's a host of Youtube vids making a good case for some pretty corrupt stuff with refs...
...I was sort of trolling thru a few of them actually, after reading your comment...some pretty fkt-up stuff...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 08:34 by hopkins.

Date: January 22, 2018 08:37

hopkins
keefriffhard4life
from an article for those wondering about penalties.

As the clock runs out, you can see Referee Blakeman giving Brady congratulations on advancing to his eighth Super Bowl. Evidence of conspiracy? Of course not. But it’s more than enough to set off the anti-Patriots contingent … which, at this point, includes pretty much everyone outside of Massachusetts and some lame bandwagoners.

Add that to the fact that the Patriots had exactly one — ONE — penalty called against them all game. Per NFL Research, that’s the fewest penalties called on one team in a playoff game since the 2011 AFC championship … when the Patriots had exactly one penalty called on them in a victory against the Ravens.

Interesting comment; Got me to thinking and researching a bit.
I'd be among the first of Patriot fans to point out the remarkable skills
and execution; and think this just sour grapes...
I spent many years in NH and VT at different times in my life and always want them to do well...cause for sure The Red Sox are gonna break a million hearts every summer lol...

...but who knows for sure how dirty or rigged or fixed things could be....
There's a host of Youtube vids making a good case for some pretty corrupt stuff with refs...
...I was sort of trolling thru a few of them actually, after reading your comment...some pretty fkt-up stuff...

to me the ref shaking bradys hand doesn't mean that much to me. the fact the patriots hold the record , twice , for fewest penalties in a playoff game and both times it happened were in the AFC championship game says more to

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 22, 2018 11:16

opening betting line patriots -6.5 to -7 depending on the sports book. over/under 47 to 47.5. not as much as i thought it'd be (the point spread). we'll see what it looks like in a week or so.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:26

Maybe it's just that the there are no posters from the Philly area on this thread, but I have been surprised about how little respect the Eagles get, even after dominating the so-called best defense (Vikes) with a so-called backup quarterback (Foles).

In part, the ambivalence is due to the bad reputation Philly sports fans have which makes them easy to root against. That reputation is debatable, but they are passionate and have started to revel in that reputation. New fight song can be found on the internet "No on likes us. We don't care", along with the dog masks.

The Pats are vulnerable and not invincible. We saw that during the regular season. They've lost SBs when favored before and barely won the last two (Seattle and Atlanta totally choked). Eagles are not a fluke.

So I think 5-6 point underdog is about right, but beware of the intangibles. I may be back to gloat 2 weeks from today.

HBK

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 22, 2018 16:56

None of the Patriot's Super Bowls in the Brady era have been cakewalks. The easiest was Philly in SB39 and that was 24-21. This will be no different, the Eagles looked great yesterday

Date: January 22, 2018 17:13

Maindefender
None of the Patriot's Super Bowls in the Brady era have been cakewalks. The easiest was Philly in SB39 and that was 24-21. This will be no different, the Eagles looked great yesterday

That is absolutely true. New England needed strategical play calling errors made by the respective opposing coaching staffs to win the last two versus the Seahawks and versus the Falcons.

They were lucky to even have made it into the Super Bowl against the Seahawks. (Ravens play-off game that season).

Date: January 22, 2018 17:19

Watch out for Jacksonville in the coming years if they bring in an upgrade at QB. Maybe Cousins from Washington or someone like that. They could also use a new TE. That guy Lewis is not what he used to be even though he scored yesterday.

If Bortles threw that last pass a couple of feet further down the field,there might well have been a different story for that game.

Date: January 22, 2018 17:23

Winning Ugly VXII
Maindefender

That is absolutely true. New England needed strategical play calling errors made by the respective opposing coaching staffs to win the last two versus the Seahawks and versus the Falcons.

They were lucky to even have made it into the Super Bowl against the Seahawks. (Ravens play-off game that season).

Can't resist the word play, the Patriots "Win Ugly" in most of their playoff games

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 22, 2018 18:26

HouseBoyKnows
Maybe it's just that the there are no posters from the Philly area on this thread, but I have been surprised about how little respect the Eagles get, even after dominating the so-called best defense (Vikes) with a so-called backup quarterback (Foles).

Because a majority of their 2017 season was against teams that were below .500. The only time you hear the talking heads say "On any given Sunday" is when there is an upset. It magically disappears when teams beat bad teams.

Date: January 22, 2018 20:50

If I had been a betting man this season I would be flat broke. My avg. must be .010. I could not get anything right. Crazy season. I had the Raiders picked, maybe Texans, Cardinals.
Then as season goes on I decided it would be the Vikings. The one thing I was sure of until yesterday was Vikings in SB. Eagles dismantled them. Foles was awesome. Whoever said about Eagles not getting respect - that may be so, but it s even worse with the Falcons. Announcers will just blatantly ignore them.
And re Jaguars. Yes, they need a Tight End. I have a feeling they might stick with Bortles though. Cousins or A. Smith might end up in Cleveland if they go with RB and D in their draft.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 23, 2018 09:02

I hope the Eagles win but I'm afraid they are going to get waxed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-23 09:20 by The Sicilian.

Date: January 23, 2018 09:09

Winning Ugly VXII
Watch out for Jacksonville in the coming years if they bring in an upgrade at QB. Maybe Cousins from Washington or someone like that. They could also use a new TE. That guy Lewis is not what he used to be even though he scored yesterday.

If Bortles threw that last pass a couple of feet further down the field,there might well have been a different story for that game.

Cleveland needs to take a QB with their selection. Forget about Cousins, and Smith. It would cost them over $20 million per season for each of them. With the picks they accrue in the next season or two they will be a powerhouse to come. But not if they don't pick a QB first.

Bortles is still a young QB. He has a lot of upside. These playoff games will be valuable experience for him going forward. Jacksonville needs to keep him and be patient.

Date: January 23, 2018 09:12

keefriffhard4life
The Sicilian
keefriffhard4life
the jags are the best defense in the league and the patriots only had 1 penalty the entire game. anyone else shocked by that since there is holding almost every play?

Everyone in America can see that. It's absolutely pathetic. We in Buffalo know that quite well with this team.

One thing I will say about Jacksonville, whom the Bills should have beaten if they had a quarterback who can make throws, is that their so called wonder running back Leonard Fournette, short-armed a big play sideline throw that was so blatantly obvious, even the announcers were at a loss to mention it. Romo did make a comment that was quickly hushed over. He should be roasted in Jacksonville for that play. It seemed deliberate.

are you talking about the pass to Fournette that was just out of his reach but he didn't even try to dive and get it?

Yes that's the play, it landed right in front of him and he seemed to pull his arms back. He was in a position to make the catch. That was a ball that needed to be caught in a game that had clear Super Bowl implications. You put it all out there in playoff games. He can watch it hit the ground during the season but not in the playoffs. Romo knew it too as he made a passing comment about it. Instead, he is hunched over crying like a baby by the ice machine in the tunnel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-23 09:17 by The Sicilian.

Date: January 23, 2018 09:44

The Sicilian
keefriffhard4life
The Sicilian
keefriffhard4life
the jags are the best defense in the league and the patriots only had 1 penalty the entire game. anyone else shocked by that since there is holding almost every play?

Everyone in America can see that. It's absolutely pathetic. We in Buffalo know that quite well with this team.

One thing I will say about Jacksonville, whom the Bills should have beaten if they had a quarterback who can make throws, is that their so called wonder running back Leonard Fournette, short-armed a big play sideline throw that was so blatantly obvious, even the announcers were at a loss to mention it. Romo did make a comment that was quickly hushed over. He should be roasted in Jacksonville for that play. It seemed deliberate.

are you talking about the pass to Fournette that was just out of his reach but he didn't even try to dive and get it?

Yes that's the play, it landed right in front of him and he seemed to pull his arms back. He was in a position to make the catch. That was a ball that needed to be caught in a game that had clear Super Bowl implications. You put it all out there in playoff games. He can watch it hit the ground during the season but not in the playoffs. Romo knew it too as he made a passing comment about it. Instead, he is hunched over crying like a baby by the ice machine in the tunnel.

yes romo said something about it. I remember thinking "why did he not dive for the ball"

Date: January 23, 2018 17:13

Palace Revolution 2000
Whoever said about Eagles not getting respect - that may be so, but it s even worse with the Falcons. Announcers will just blatantly ignore them.

Because Atlanta is a consistent failure. Their motto is 'Rise Up'. The only thing they rise up to is being a disappointment. Last year they managed to rise up to the biggest choke in the history of pro sports and made history by being the only team to lead a Super Bowl and lose. Around here, they 'Fall Down'. Their "fans" come to New Orleans and leave the city to go eat.

Date: January 24, 2018 03:21

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
Whoever said about Eagles not getting respect - that may be so, but it s even worse with the Falcons. Announcers will just blatantly ignore them.

Because Atlanta is a consistent failure. Their motto is 'Rise Up'. The only thing they rise up to is being a disappointment. Last year they managed to rise up to the biggest choke in the history of pro sports and made history by being the only team to lead a Super Bowl and lose. Around here, they 'Fall Down'. Their "fans" come to New Orleans and leave the city to go eat.

and isn't the only time the saints were not a failure was during the year they were trying to injure people on purpose

Date: January 24, 2018 10:15

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

The choking thing isn't a valid point. There are plenty other teams who could hold that title lot easier than Falcons (Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Texans).
But you bring up a point; and I think it is probably the real reason. Their fanbase is lame, weak, fickle. Atlanta is made up of people from other cities. There are very few natives. Seats are filled with comps from jobs, socialite boxes. In Philly and Cleveland e.g. rain, snow, cold, those fans will show up through losing seasons and pack that stadium, support their guys. And I do think this is what ultimately commands respect.

Date: January 24, 2018 16:41

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

and isn't the only time the saints were not a failure was during the year they were trying to injure people on purpose

The fictitious 'Bountygate', something that was never proven to be true. So... no.

The year the Saints went 13-3 (the 2009 regular season) and won the SB in the 2010 playoffs.

Date: January 24, 2018 16:44

GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

The fictitious 'Bountygate', something that was never proven to be true. So... no.

The year the Saints went 13-3 (the 2009 regular season) and won the SB in the 2010 playoffs.

sure, never proven.

anyways one of the 5 or 6 greatest QBs in nfl history only makes the SB 1 time their entire career. lest not talk about what team chokes all the time

Date: January 24, 2018 16:48

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

The choking thing isn't a valid point. There are plenty other teams who could hold that title lot easier than Falcons (Bills, Jaguars, Browns, Texans).
But you bring up a point; and I think it is probably the real reason. Their fanbase is lame, weak, fickle. Atlanta is made up of people from other cities. There are very few natives. Seats are filled with comps from jobs, socialite boxes. In Philly and Cleveland e.g. rain, snow, cold, those fans will show up through losing seasons and pack that stadium, support their guys. And I do think this is what ultimately commands respect.

Oh the choke is valid. Especially when you watch video of the Atlanta players running their stupid arrogant mouths. Nobody has blown a 28-3 lead in a Super Bowl except Atlanta. It was historical. A team lost a championship game by leading it. A team won a championship game by never leading it.

There are plenty of teams that have choked in the Super Bowl, including Seattle and New England, but no one has ever choked like Atlanta.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 24, 2018 17:00

Brady has as many Super Bowl appearances as Brees, Rodgers, Favre and Peyton COMBINED.

Date: January 24, 2018 20:58

keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
keefriffhard4life
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

sure, never proven.

anyways one of the 5 or 6 greatest QBs in nfl history only makes the SB 1 time their entire career. lest not talk about what team chokes all the time

It wasn't ever proven.

The Saints choke all the time? HA HA! That's funny. They've had some awful games but they've never given up like the Atlanta Falcons did.

Date: January 24, 2018 21:01

keefriff99
Brady has as many Super Bowl appearances as Brees, Rodgers, Favre and Peyton COMBINED.

Joe Montana might've had similar had he not gotten traded. That's big might.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:04

so NE is the home team but they’re wearing white.

Date: January 24, 2018 21:06

Natlanta

They chose to. They've never lost a Super Bowl wearing white.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 24, 2018 21:14

Seeing "BountyGate" come into conversation and stated as "never proven" made me do some looking around as I didn't follow it all that closely as it was happening. Turns out, at least according to the summary on wikipedia that's the truth. Cool. Glad to know that. Interesting that, kind of like with "InflateGate" no proof or evidence of the "crime" still led to punishment by the NFL.

Very interesting to see the following summary of "BountyGate":
Despite the media outcry, an independent study speculated that Saints' players may have pretended to participate off the field but not put the tactics into action on the field. "If the Saints tended to injure more players, then teams that played them would tend to list more injuries the following week. To test whether the Saints injured more players than a typical team, one need only compare the number of players added to injury reports after a Saints game to the league-wide average. Did the New Orleans Saints injure more players? The data-driven answer is a resounding "no." The Saints appear to have injured far fewer players over the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons. The numbers are striking." (That taken from a 2012 LA Times article.)

Peace (and GO PATRIOTS!),
Mr DJA

Date: January 24, 2018 21:24

GasLightStreet
Natlanta

I wonder if they would have made the same decision if the Vikings had made it to the Super Bowl. Although I can understand the superstition involved, would they have chosen to allow the Vikings to wear their "home" jerseys in their home building? Any replies from an alternate universe where the above scenario is playing out will be welcome here as long as you can document your sources! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 24, 2018 21:38

GasLightStreet
Natlanta

They wore white when they lost to Green Bay

Date: January 24, 2018 21:53

Maindefender
GasLightStreet
Natlanta

They wore white when they lost to Green Bay

But that's not the Brady/Belicheck version of the team. Brady/Belicheck have never lost when the team wore white.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 24, 2018 23:45

jerseygate.

really starting to like this Belichick dude.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home