Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you."
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 25, 2017 16:41

DandelionPowderman
I have all the Aerosmith-records, and the band's an old favourite of mine, but to say that Joe Perry is an awesome guitarist is a HUGE stretch.

He simply never was. He's a mess, but he does some cool stuff now and again – and he has a weird, fascinating technique smiling smiley

Love that description and will probably borrow it from you at sometime in the future. smiling smiley I've loved Joe's playing for decades now. Always knew he wasn't "technically" the best but loved the feel, the intangibles, the mess, so to speak. Kind of like Keith, again not "technically" the best, but the intangibles make him so fun to listen to.

powerage78
Yes. And a good singer !

Love this band really.
Have seen them live several times, Fantastic live act.
What an energy.

Quite discret, "Brad Whitford is a GREAT rhythm guitarist !

So glad you chose a video with Joe doing 2nd vocals with Steven as opposed to some of his lead vocals. Maybe it’s just me, but, although I LOVE the way Joe sings 2nd with Steven, I really don’t care for his voice as a lead vocalist. While I have to give him kudos for “keeping it real, etc.” there have also been some moments where I have just cringed and thought, “Oh Joe, couldn’t you have just brought in a vocalist?”

Much agreement with the rest of your post as well. Although I haven’t seen them in years, I saw them multiple times through the 80’s & 90’s and always enjoyed the shows. Still enjoy the recordings when they pop up in “Shuffle All”.

Also: Nice description of Brad… Discrete… Kind of like I’m going to steal/borrow from DP, I’ll probably be citing your reference as well! Thanks in advance! In my mind I think of Brad not just as a rhythm guitarist but as a 2nd guitarist. Although Joe may be the “flashy” one, he also does a ton of rhythm guitar and Brad does so many lead lines, I just kind of look at them as one & the other. They may not necessarily advertise “the ancient form of weaving” like some others we know, but, it seems they practice it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 25, 2017 23:23

mr_dja
In my mind I think of Brad not just as a rhythm guitarist but as a 2nd guitarist. Although Joe may be the “flashy” one, he also does a ton of rhythm guitar and Brad does so many lead lines, I just kind of look at them as one & the other. They may not necessarily advertise “the ancient form of weaving” like some others we know, but, it seems they practice it

That's a good description. thumbs up
As for Joe Perry himself, in the context of Aerosmith I'd say he is a great guitarist. Not a huge fan of Aerosmith, but I like their '70's albums, and they wouldn't be the same without Joe's greatness. In a lot of ways his style is similar to Ronnie's with the Stones - haphazard, sloppy, ramshackle, unrefined, messy, etc., but would actually give the nod to Joe as his sound/style stands out more and is a major part of Aerosmith's overall sound. And this might sound sacrilege to some (or maybe not), but I actually prefer Aerosmith's first four or five studio albums over the Stone's last six studio albums. Again, not a huge fan of Aerosmith, but no denying they put out some great stuff back in the day.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 25, 2017 23:46

Some great clips from Aerosmith on the last page, thanks.
Still say Joe is a great Rock guitarists, i can't believe he and Steve Tyler are 70 next year. Still Rockin like that after all they been through.
The Stones have been such an inspiration to them, leading the way, amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 23:47 by stone4ever.

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: August 26, 2017 00:23

Hairball
On a similar note, I recall an interview from years ago with Mike Campbell (Tom Petty band) who claimed - to paraphrase - he knows all he needs to know on the guitar, he's learned as much as he could possibly learn, he's as good as he'll ever get, and he doesn't practice at all to learn new things and progress but rather to keep his fingers limber. He said he reached a certain point where there's nowhere left to go.

That might be something he regrets saying as I'm sure he's evolved a little since that interview, but if not that explains his boring/derivative/stagnant guitar style.

Mike Campbell, boring and derivative? Not necessarily words I would use to describe one of rock's most underrated and overlooked guitar players.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 26, 2017 00:32

HotStuff92
Hairball
On a similar note, I recall an interview from years ago with Mike Campbell (Tom Petty band) who claimed - to paraphrase - he knows all he needs to know on the guitar, he's learned as much as he could possibly learn, he's as good as he'll ever get, and he doesn't practice at all to learn new things and progress but rather to keep his fingers limber. He said he reached a certain point where there's nowhere left to go.

That might be something he regrets saying as I'm sure he's evolved a little since that interview, but if not that explains his boring/derivative/stagnant guitar style.

Mike Campbell, boring and derivative? Not necessarily words I would use to describe one of rock's most underrated and overlooked guitar players.

Maybe those are some of the reasons he's been overlooked - boring and derivative imo. As for underrated, I suppose that depends on what one likes in guitar playing - one mans junk is another mans treasure.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2017 20:42

A break does the fingers and the mind good. Don't overestimate stepping away. If one feels like they HAVE to play/rehearse/practice then that may become a problem. If one is continually doing things, is on the road a lot, then of course there's going to be playing everyday - to stay in shape.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: August 29, 2017 21:19

Perhaps that's more the reason there's not a lot of new stuff coming out, the 'radars' busted, Keith

In my own little house I let regular playing go for a long time. Now I'm back on I'm enjoying learning new things and have improved exponentially (according to my wife)

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home