Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
"I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you."
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 20, 2017 05:58

" ... I could give up the playing. I could always pick up the guitar at home [between tours], though I often don’t even do that. Me and Keith, we both realised, at rehearsals, “I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you.
-Ron Wood, 2017

What does the IORR hive mind think of this? Can it possibly be true?

Or is it hyperbole in the service of the Stones guitarists as cool gunslingers who can pick up their axes any ole time and dive right back in w/o missing a beat?

I was going through a Jerry Garcia Guitar Player interview from 1978 the other day and came across this:

"When I’m home I’d say I spend no less than an average of two hours a day at the absolute worst. That’s like really screwing around. I think four hours is more normal for me. On the road it goes up to about six, including the show. I lose my edge in a day if I don’t stay on top of it constantly. Anything more than two days and it’s like being a cripple. And the more you play, the more you notice it if you miss a day."

Now, Garcia certainly had his, uhh, peculiarities as a musician, and his stuff is absolutely not for everyone. But, as he indicates earlier in the same interview, he regards himself as more of a student of guitar than as a player or performer. There was a seriousness, a devotion that he attached to becoming better and challenging himself.

I know the Stones are not the Dead, and the music they play is completely different; the modus operandi of the bands are galaxies apart. But, all that said ... is Ronnie bullshitting?

Or at this stage in their careers are they really putting their instruments on ice for months at a time?

How would you do that and be able to move your art forward? How could you even keep your playing in the same place and not backslide?

Re: "I don’t think I’ve picked up a guitar since I last saw you."
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 20, 2017 06:31

In some ways, playing the guitar is like riding a bicycle...you get back on it and go. Not playing the guitar for months at a time doesn't do you any good as far as improving and learning new skills (like a bike), but maybe Ronnie feels he knows all he needs (or wants) to know. Plus he currently has little kiddies running around the house, so trying to focus on guitar is probably the furthest thing on his mind, and he'd probably rather be painting.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 20, 2017 07:03

They better watch out Mick doesn't become the best guitar player in the band!

Hard to imagine they don't play regularly, but who knows. Playing the same setlist of open G bar chords since 1969 isn't exactly Rachmaninov.

What d'ya suppose Keith does all day?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2017 07:34

......Well Johnny Holmes hasn't had sex since '88 ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 20, 2017 07:46

Good song title for the new album.
Jeroen

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 20, 2017 07:54

"Playing the same setlist of open G bar chords since 1969 isn't exactly Rachmaninov."

LOL!! Very true. Look, they all know their parts so well, they can probably play them in their sleep. Rehearsals must be about finding the groove together, recovering their timing, getting the feel of each other again. IMHO.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 20, 2017 08:59

Well, I guess maybe Louis Armstrong said it best:

If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it.

I guess the argument that Ronnie is telling the truth would be supported by the fact that the band do not really challenge themselves to do anything new with their music, anything that would require an advancement of their technique or a honing of their abilities.

Even though their music is very self-contained and has varied little for decades, though, it's still hard to believe Ronnie's not pulling our leg here. Playing music, I've always heard, involves such a complex combination of brain and body that you cannot just rely on muscle memory to get you through ... you got to work it!

Date: August 20, 2017 09:52

<open G bar chords>

That was funny smiling smiley

I wonder how open G barRE chords would sound?

I'll stick to the standard-tuned ones for now.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 20, 2017 10:06

I believe they don't practice much (or at all) during their off time. Maybe they see The Stones as a rare outing from their normal routine these days. Part of me doesn't blame them but I also want to perform well next month. Let's see how it turns out.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 20, 2017 10:29

Rockman

Nor has Tina Russell since '81 ..........

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 20, 2017 10:37

stonehearted
Rockman

Nor has Tina Russell since '81 ..........

You guys would be great for Spinal Tap.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 21, 2017 21:31

This phrase simply shows that the Stones said what they had to say musically. To be fair, if one looks at the hands of Keith Richards, one can hardly expect him to sit at home and play. One thing is clear as well: Men who do not play or practice in any way, will not produce great music in the future, I expect nothing from the mysterious album in 2018.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 13:18 by windmelody.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 21, 2017 21:41

Not surprised.
They are old men with health issues. Keith has problems with his hands, probably the head injury still creates issues. Drugs and alcohol probably have taken some vibrancy out of both of them. As energetic as Keith was, the fires have banked. They probably spend most of their time like ordinary retirees.
I think they are beyond artistic judgments at this time. Enjoy them for what they are and be grateful for the music and thrills they have provided.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 21, 2017 22:28

No comment...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 21, 2017 22:41

The thing is, was this always the case? No, in the 1960s, 1970s, even the 1980s, and I would be willing to lay odds most of the 1990s, it wasn't. These guys lived and breathed music. In the last couple decades, they're semi-retired. No one wants to say it, but they are. Nothing wrong with it. They slowed down. Doing so likely allows them to work part of the time.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: August 21, 2017 23:19

Who knows to the extent this is true or not. I recall seeing footage of Ronnie playing for his new family. Then there are pics of Keith messing around in studios.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:50

I am an amateur guitarist. Playing for myself, in my den, jamming with friends-that sort of stuff. I have been playing on and off for 25 years. It is like anything else, the more you practice and stay on top of it, the more oiled and/or better you get. When I take off for just a few days, I know it. I'm rusty as hell.

If I remember correctly, I was watching Keith Richards a few years back when he was a guest on Jimmy Fallon. The house band the Roots wanted him to jam with them and he wouldn't do it, implying that since he got off of a tour he had not played.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2017 06:57

Sighunt
I am an amateur guitarist. Playing for myself, in my den, jamming with friends-that sort of stuff. I have been playing on and off for 25 years. It is like anything else, the more you practice and stay on top of it, the more oiled and/or better you get. When I take off for just a few days, I know it. I'm rusty as hell.

If I remember correctly, I was watching Keith Richards a few years back when he was a guest on Jimmy Fallon. The house band the Roots wanted him to jam with them and he wouldn't do it, implying that since he got off of a tour he had not played.

Yes, he shook his head and said "no...I'm too rusty" or something along those lines. Instead, he talked about growing lemons in his garden, and was proud of how big they are.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 22, 2017 12:58

Rockman
Death will do that to you .

Date: August 22, 2017 13:06

TheGreek
Rockman

There is no heaven, paradise or nirvana? winking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 22, 2017 14:12

Hairball
Yes, he shook his head and said "no...I'm too rusty" or something along those lines. Instead, he talked about growing lemons in his garden, and was proud of how big they are.

Kinda like Brian reading a book about botany instead of playing his instruments in the studio...

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 22, 2017 14:16

DandelionPowderman
TheGreek
Rockman

There is no heaven, paradise or nirvana? winking smiley

John may have gotten caught up in the whole 40 "virgins" part of the deal... grinning smiley

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 22, 2017 14:39

I seem to remember Clapton saying he never plays between tours or recording sessions. Yet,....smileys with beer

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:37

This explains a lot of things about the poor guitar skills from last 25 years

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 22, 2017 21:09

It's also kind of a macho pose thing, like when Jimmy Page said he didn't know any music theory, but "just played" - um, ok Jimmy.

Date: August 22, 2017 22:08

Sighunt

Same for me. I'm a bad guitarist BTW (some people are gifted and some aren't, obviously i'm in the second category), but i manage to play most of open g Stones songs decently. If i take off for a couple of weeks, i screw up big way and sound like shit.I don't buy the bicycle analogy.
Remember 2012 when Keith played as a guest with Elvis Costello? Honestly it was a disaster, so much a disaster that i thought, forget about concerts for the 50th anniversary, no way, sad but Keith is burned. I'm glad i was wrong, but there has been long and hardworking rehearsals and probably training before the rehearsals.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 22:17

Angus Young, Slash and Jo Perry are known to never take off.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-22 22:17 by powerage78.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 22, 2017 22:30

Where did this quote come from exactly and when is it from?
What 'rehearsals' are Ronnie referring to?

If this statement is at all remotely true, it's a @#$%& disgrace and a sure sign that the end is nigh.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 22, 2017 22:36

Yeah it kinda sounds like that's been their protocol for a? Like Frankie at the last tours, always high roller lookie loos wanting to ante up to legend? Well that's some of it anyway.

Date: August 22, 2017 23:36

powerage78
Angus Young, Slash and Jo Perry are known to never take off.

I'd say both Slash and Young take off once in a while. In fact, I find both great.

Perry is so so, imo.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home