Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: 40 years ago today the king went away
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:34

Wow. Forty years since Elvis Presley passed. Here's a few links I came across re all this. His older music and cherry picked selections from the later years sit on my music player always.

[www.lifezette.com]

[bestclassicbands.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Re: OT: 40 years ago today the king went away
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:53

Yes. He went away. He passed.

He left the building.

Elvis died.

However...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:54

Thanks for posting - A day I remember very well, 40 years ago I was travelling B.C in Canada, visiting friends in Langley near Vancouver when the tv showed the news of Elvis. My favourite is Heartbreak Hotel.

Cheers

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 16, 2017 17:56

When Elvis met Led Zeppelin

[medium.com]

Robert Plant: Elvis was involved with the same agents that we had during the ’70s [i.e. Tom Hulett and Jerry Weintraub of Concerts West], and he wanted to know who this bunch of guys were who were selling tickets quicker than him. We wanted to know who we were, too [laughs].

So, Elvis played the Forum in L.A. [one afternoon and one evening show on May 11, 1974], and I’d seen him a couple of times before that. I was so in awe of him as a singer, and I loved the way he could send himself up. Singers generally are all one trick ponies. Sometimes they can’t see the humor in it but he did.

Jimmy Page and I met him after the evening show. We went to the top floor of whatever the cheap hotel was, and a couple of gorillas were at the elevator. They moved us down into kinda this holding station, a long suite where a door opens into another door, like Get Smart. The whole place was full of Sandra Dee, Stella Stevens types?—?a pencil skirt, beehive and white stilettos, which was perfect for me. That shows my age, doesn’t it?

When the room was suitably full, the door opened at the end, and this guy came in [Plant gets up and demonstrates how Elvis swaggered around the couches]. Elvis was doing a better show in that suite than he was at night onstage.

We talked for about an hour and a half. The amazing this is, it was so natural and funny. Of course, music was the key. We definitely talked about what his music meant to us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-16 22:49 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 16, 2017 18:14

dmay
Wow. Forty years since Elvis Presley passed. Here's a few links I came across re all this. His older music and cherry picked selections from the later years sit on my music player always.

[www.lifezette.com]

[bestclassicbands.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

It was great to read this on the Best Classic Bands website. There's some other nice quotes as well, thank you very much for sharing. thumbs up

“I wasn’t just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang ‘Old Blind Barnabus’ together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There’ll never be another like that soul brother.”—James Brown

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 16, 2017 22:29

Ray Davies on meeting Elvis:

"In the week of the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death, Davies casually lets slip that not only did he meet Elvis but that The King came to see The Kinks. ‘It was in the Whisky a Go Go, a small club in LA,’ says Davies. ‘We had a very brief conversation, just brushed past each other really. He said, “Hello”, I said, “I’ve got to go on in five minutes.”

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 17, 2017 01:31

If you ask me, he got out while the getting was good. There may have
been a fat Elvis, but at least there was never an old Elvis. As everyone
understands, age and rock and roll don't mix.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2017 02:24

ROCKMAN

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 17, 2017 02:29

Chuck Berry was the king, not Elvis.

Plexi

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: August 17, 2017 02:46

timbernardis
Chuck Berry was the king, not Elvis.

Plexi

Good one.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 17, 2017 03:23

Elvis Presley - Blue Suede Shoes 1956 - Paramount Screen Test - (COLOR and STEREO)
[www.youtube.com]

The Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n Roll Classics. Elvis Presley. 6-1-1957
[www.youtube.com]

Don't be Cruel 1956 _ Live TV
[www.youtube.com]

Elvis Live Interview 1956
[www.youtube.com]

Elvis - Heartbreak Hotel (1972) Live
[www.youtube.com]
"...I got a list but it's not of the songs..."

Elvis Presley Madison Square Garden New York 1972
[www.youtube.com]

Thank you Elvis. The Once and Future Eternal King of Rock and Roll.

I can't help falling in love with you Elvis Presley 1970
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-17 03:24 by hopkins.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 17, 2017 03:54

For me the true king of rock n roll is our man Keith Richards! He's still a major, no THE major influence on the majority who have any interest in the subject. LONG LIVE KEITH! WE LOVE YOU! smileys with beer

Date: August 17, 2017 05:21

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it think. or feel.
Well that's alright. Anyway you do...

Well, that's all right now mama
That's all right with you
That's all right now mama, just anyway you do
That's all right, that's all right
That's all right now mama, anyway you do

My mama, she done told me, papa done told me too
"Son, that gal you're foolin' with
She ain't no good for you"
But that's all right now, that's all right

I'm leaving town, baby
I'm leaving town for sure
Well, then you won't be bothered with me hanging 'round your door
Well, that's all right, that's all right

That's all right, that's all right
Well, that's all right now mama, anyway you do

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 17, 2017 05:38

The Stones could take a lesson from the Elvis FTD label on how to release archival material......

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 17, 2017 08:03

Say what you want but Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special was the high-water mark in rock and roll.

And no human being on Earth - male or female - ever looked better than he did for that special.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2017 08:12

runaway
Thanks for posting - A day I remember very well, 40 years ago I was travelling B.C in Canada, visiting friends in Langley near Vancouver when the tv showed the news of Elvis. My favourite is Heartbreak Hotel.

Cheers

hey...I live in BC, and live close to Langley near Vancouver right now. I also found out about the Big E's death the summer of 77 while living in BC. I went out and bought his latest album, Moody Blue I think it was.

Date: August 17, 2017 08:19

ELVIS - "A Boy From Tupelo MS" - (Documentary 40th Anniversary Extended Version)
[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 17, 2017 08:41

Elvis Presley - Elvis Sings... The Beatles, Bee Gees & More (Full Album) audio HD!!
[www.youtube.com]

Promised Land (Chuck Berry) 0:00
What'd I Say (Ray Charles) 2:50
Early Morning Rain (Gordon Lightfoot) 5:54
You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling' (The Righteous Brothers) 8:50
My Babe (Little Walter) 13:10
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Bob Dylan) 15:15
I Got My Mojo Working (Muddy Waters) 19:15
Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon & Garfunkel) 24:38
Help Me Make It Through The Night (Kris Kristofferson) 29:08
Gentle On my Mind (Glen Campbell) 31:54
Funny How Time Slips Away (Willy Nelson) 35:15
Sweet Caroline (Neal Diamond) 39:35
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield) 42:09
Proud Mary (Credence Clearwater Revival) 44:42
I Got A Woman (Ray Charles) 47:18
Words (Bee Gees) 49:52
Something (The Beatles) 52:25
You Don't Know Me (Eddie Arnold) 56:03
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams) 58:34
Danny Boy (Frederic Weatherly) 1:00:48
My Way (Paul Anka) 1:00:18
Tomorrow Is A Long Time (Bob Dylan) 1:08:50
Only The Strong Survive (Jerry Butler) 1:14:12

Date: August 17, 2017 08:50

ELVIS - Live @ Madison Square Garden 1972 (Rare Footage)
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 17, 2017 09:25

My 40 years ago thought... "Well, he was kind of old, 42 years old"

My 40 years later (today thought)... "Damn, he was just a kid when he died, only 42"

ELVIS WAS THE KING... HE STILL IS THE KING
He still makes more money per year than most acts will make in their entire career

There is only one King of rock and Roll and Elvis was/is it.

There never was... and never will be... another like him....
and I say that not giving one shit about him back in the day...
But the facts are facts... and he was something special.

Without Elvis many people and many things probably never would have happened.

Date: August 17, 2017 09:50

Elvis Presley - Trouble - Guitar Man 1968
[www.youtube.com]

The Once and Future, Eternal and Forever: King of Rock and Roll.
RIP.

"...take it home son, take it home..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-17 09:50 by hopkins.

Date: August 17, 2017 09:54

treaclefingers
runaway

Cheers

hey...I live in BC, and live close to Langley near Vancouver right now. I also found out about the Big E's death the summer of 77 while living in BC. I went out and bought his latest album, Moody Blue I think it was.

Yes treaclefingers I was travelling B.C, Alberta and State of Washington a lot in the seventies and have great memories of Vancouver, I do live near Amsterdam.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 17, 2017 16:04

runaway
treaclefingers
runaway

Cheers

Yes treaclefingers I was travelling B.C, Alberta and State of Washington a lot in the seventies and have great memories of Vancouver, I do live near Amsterdam.

I travelled to Amsterdam (part of a wider Eurorail trip) in 87...fantastic city!

Date: August 17, 2017 16:23

treaclefingers
runaway
treaclefingers
runaway

Cheers

I travelled to Amsterdam (part of a wider Eurorail trip) in 87...fantastic city!

Thanks for your reply and Amsterdam is still great for Concerts, Museums and cofeeshops for tourists but next time try a boattrip on the canals.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 18, 2017 01:22

Cristiano Radtke
Ray Davies on meeting Elvis:

"In the week of the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley’s death, Davies casually lets slip that not only did he meet Elvis but that The King came to see The Kinks. ‘It was in the Whisky a Go Go, a small club in LA,’ says Davies. ‘We had a very brief conversation, just brushed past each other really. He said, “Hello”, I said, “I’ve got to go on in five minutes.”

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

I went and saw the Kinks at the Whisky in November of '69. It was a great show but it would have been cool to see Elvis there!

In '73, I was with 2 friends in Memphis and we decided to go to Graceland to try and catch a glimpse of Elvis. The security guard was cool and chatted with us for about 30 minutes. He then got a call o his walkie talkie and said that Elvis would be arriving in a minute. Sure enough, a white limo drove up and the guard motioned to us that it was Elvis. But . . . the windows were tinted, so we didn't get to actually see him. But it was a fun experience.

I like the comments from Robert Plant above. Sounds like a really memorable time for Zep.

Last night I watched a show about Elvis' 1970 Las Vegas shows. All live footage of rehearsals, the show, and a few minutes following the show. Very enjoyable. In the crowd were Sammy David Jr., Juliette Prowse, Xavier Cougat and Charo, Cary Grant, and a few other celebs. I have to say that Elvis did put on a great, energetic show.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 18, 2017 03:44

I saw Elvis in my hometown of Rochester, NY a few months before he died. One of the strangest concerts I had ever been to. I was 20 or 21 at that time in my life. I wore worn denim jeans and jacket and my hair was long and curly like Roger Daltrey. I didn't look like I belonged there. All the guys were older than me and kind of looked like Elvis with slicked back dark hair, long sideburns and leisure suits. Elvis hit the stage and I was so shocked and saddened to see this guy who I idolized. He was not the same guy I saw on the '68 comeback special. He was overweight and slurring his words. However, there were moments of brilliance during the show when Elvis sang some of his well known ballads. The most strangest part of the show came near the end when Elvis sang "My Way." He could not remember all the words to the song so his roadie came out with a sheet of paper with the words on it and Elvis looked at it as he sang- putting a pair of glasses on to better read the lyrics. I am not making this up! To this day, I can't believe that Elvis was only 42 when he died. He had abused his body so much that he looked more like 62.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 18, 2017 04:22

I wonder what Elvis thought of Jim Morrison.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 18, 2017 05:36

40 years ago today Elvis took me aside and said "Chester, if anything should ever happen to me I want you to be King.''

And then he was gone.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 18, 2017 06:56

DaveG
Cristiano Radtke

Last night I watched a show about Elvis' 1970 Las Vegas shows. All live footage of rehearsals, the show, and a few minutes following the show. Very enjoyable. In the crowd were Sammy David Jr., Juliette Prowse, Xavier Cougat and Charo, Cary Grant, and a few other celebs. I have to say that Elvis did put on a great, energetic show.

I watched that too...twice.

Just looked like they were having so much fun. And him talking to the girl backup singers, my wife commented, man he just seems so nice and doesn't have a racist bone in his body. Just his good southern upbringing I suppose!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 18, 2017 06:57

Chester
Say what you want but Elvis' 1968 Comeback Special was the high-water mark in rock and roll.

And no human being on Earth - male or female - ever looked better than he did for that special.

Man...that was one hell of a show. I dare think some of the Stones shows I witnessed were more exciting but then again seeing something like the 68 comeback show in person may have certainly changed my mind!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1868
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home