Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT Liam Gallagher
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 18, 2017 20:54

It's kind of sad in a way that Oasis are the last of that 50+ year British tradition of working class lads getting discovered, stirring things up, appearing on Top of the Pops, some scandals and conquering the world, inspiring loads of kids to start bands etc etc.

I liked some of their stuff, saw them live in 1997, but I could never stand that thing of strumming chords with loads of distortion and the whole mad for it clown act. grinning smiley

Still, they are an important part in story of British music.

Great interview with Noel: [www.youtube.com]

I find myself liking Liam's solo stuff. grinning smiley Nice to see him finding his own place in the musical world, growing up a bit and putting out some good music.

I think this is really @#$%& good. A nice vibe to it, musical, well delivered. cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 19, 2017 00:14

His Majesty
It's kind of sad in a way that Oasis are the last of that 50+ year British tradition of working class lads getting discovered, stirring things up, appearing on Top of the Pops, some scandals and conquering the world, inspiring loads of kids to start bands etc etc.

I liked some of their stuff, saw them live in 1997, but I could never stand that thing of strumming chords with loads of distortion and the whole mad for it clown act. grinning smiley

Still, they are an important part in story of British music.

Great interview with Noel: [www.youtube.com]

I find myself liking Liam's solo stuff. grinning smiley Nice to see him finding his own place in the musical world, growing up a bit and putting out some good music.

I think this is really @#$%& good. A nice vibe to it, musical, well delivered. cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]

I really like wall of glass and for what its worth,whne his new album comes out I think I will get it.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 19, 2017 01:29

Wow...an hour...

When I saw Phil Rudd in April he played 37 minutes...

Posted by: DD ()
Date: August 20, 2017 02:33

I was at that Wembley gig in 2000 and Liam's behaviour was unacceptable. People can say what they like about his being the last of the great rock stars but if a stadium full of people have paid hard-earned money to see you then you don't turn up pissed, unable to perform properly, and abuse your brother throughout the set. Half-wit behaviour. And he's supposed to be a working-class 'man of the people'? His sense of entitlement on that occasion, and many others, doesn't demonstrate it. In interviews, Noel is, generally, far more entertaining and worth a listen.

Musically? They were never even a thread of a patch on The Stone Roses.

Declan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2017 04:51

ADVERTISER -- 22 August 2017

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:50

DD
I was at that Wembley gig in 2000 and Liam's behaviour was unacceptable. People can say what they like about his being the last of the great rock stars but if a stadium full of people have paid hard-earned money to see you then you don't turn up pissed, unable to perform properly, and abuse your brother throughout the set. Half-wit behaviour. And he's supposed to be a working-class 'man of the people'? His sense of entitlement on that occasion, and many others, doesn't demonstrate it. In interviews, Noel is, generally, far more entertaining and worth a listen.

Declan

thumbs up

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 22, 2017 12:20

DD

Declan

I said pretty much that to my friend at the time. Noel had just come through addictions of his own and imho, did very well indeed to show the restraint he did on the day. After one of Liam's rants, he calmly said, "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a bad advert for drug abuse".

This was still the era of £30 access all area GA tickets, but the total take was still £2-3m and to turn up in that state to provide 90 minutes of entertainment to Customers paying that demonstrates a truly shameful attitude.

Not that any of the Stones, errhmmm, ever appeared on stage "under influence" of any kind of course grinning smiley If so, never quite like that though....

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 23, 2017 13:40

I liked Oasis in the 90s, and I still think their first 2 albums are rather good, although their sound was too limited, not varied enough, to last too long. In that sense (and in many others) they were far less talented than either Beatles or Stones, with whom they were often compared. The English "press" has for decades looked for something like the Beatles and the Stones, i.e. the "new English hit-wonders" and all that nonsense. It caused that ridiculous Blur vs Oasis thing. In retrospect, Blur showed more innovation and inventiveness, but Oasis had this certain sing-a-long "simple lads" thing going for them.
I always liked interviews with Noel Gallagher, he seems funny and clever. I kind of like his solo-music too, but - again - it's a sound that grows old very soon, it's not varied enough and it lacks magic.
Liam always seemed to me a complete fool, probably not a bad guy, just a simpleton and a bit a victim of all that fame, slightly more fortunate than other fools in the history of rock (Sid Vicious comes to mind). I kinda liked his voice with Oasis, that sort of whining dragging way of his ("shaaaayynne" instead of "shine") but it gets boring after a while.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2017 21:59

matxil
I liked Oasis in the 90s, and I still think their first 2 albums are rather good, although their sound was too limited, not varied enough, to last too long. In that sense (and in many others) they were far less talented than either Beatles or Stones, with whom they were often compared. The English "press" has for decades looked for something like the Beatles and the Stones, i.e. the "new English hit-wonders" and all that nonsense. It caused that ridiculous Blur vs Oasis thing. In retrospect, Blur showed more innovation and inventiveness, but Oasis had this certain sing-a-long "simple lads" thing going for them.
I always liked interviews with Noel Gallagher, he seems funny and clever. I kind of like his solo-music too, but - again - it's a sound that grows old very soon, it's not varied enough and it lacks magic.
Liam always seemed to me a complete fool, probably not a bad guy, just a simpleton and a bit a victim of all that fame, slightly more fortunate than other fools in the history of rock (Sid Vicious comes to mind). I kinda liked his voice with Oasis, that sort of whining dragging way of his ("shaaaayynne" instead of "shine") but it gets boring after a while.

thumbs up

After my initial comment in this thread "Their first two albums were great, but haven't stood the test of time or aged very well imo", I've been revisiting those albums and ultimately stand by that statement. They were great at the time amidst all of the boring grunge stuff that was happening (I remember seeing them live on Letterman playing Live Forever, and I was instantly hooked), but in hindsight their sound was too limited, and not varied enough as you stated matxil. I think there are some decent/great written tunes on those two albums, but there's something lacking ...it's all stagnant (or dated), and Liam's vocals come across as whiney and annoying after a while. Blur on the other hand had so much variety and innovation going on that most, if not all, of their music still sounds fresh and vibrant. While Oasis pooped out after two albums, Blur were still blazing new trails with each new release. While I loved both of the first two Oasis albums from start to finish at the time (including all b-sides, etc. which were not on the albums) and still have them on vinyl (including 7" and 12" singles), the only tunes I can listen to as of right now are limited to:

Live Forever and Slide Away from first album.
Hello, Don't Look Back in Anger, Some Might Say, Morning Glory, and Champagne Supernova from the second album.

I remember when the second album was released, and it was such a rush to hear the opener Hello blasting out for the first time:

Hello - Oasis

Ultimately, these two albums are a time capsule of a particular period of time ('94/'95) of what I was listening to, and I'll rarely revisit them due to the fact they haven't aged well or stood the test of time imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-23 22:55 by Hairball.

Thankyou everyone
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 25, 2017 09:22

I know it wasnt Stones related but A BIG SHOUT OUT to everyone that posted on my Liam Gallagher topic

I have never had so many people post on one of my topics before since joining IORR

thankyou cheersspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: Thankyou everyone
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 25, 2017 09:25

thumbs up
You are very welcome, he is a fascinating guy, full of contradictions.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home