Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Every Night's a Saturday Night - The Bobby Keys Story" documentary
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2018 20:14

“Bobby Keys is not the best saxophone player in the world, he’s the best rock ‘n’ roll saxophone player in the world.”

— Charlie Watts

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2018 21:42

Cristiano Radtke
“Bobby Keys is not the best saxophone player in the world, he’s the best rock ‘n’ roll saxophone player in the world.”

— Charlie Watts

true true

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 3, 2018 16:27

Loved this documentary

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: December 5, 2018 01:53

I saw it on my DVR tonight. A total pleasure.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2019 11:09

sittinonafence
Lots of great interviews here. Very enjoyable. Keith came off as very warm and charming. Gave a short version of the incident in '73 that resulted in Bobby leaving the tour and resulted in not being part of the touring band. Contrary to Bobby saying it was only drugs.

Except Keef's betrayed by his memory once again. The "Dom Pérignon" incident happened in Lyon in 1970. Bobby met a charming French lady and he decided he would fill the bathtub of his hotel room with champagne to honor her. And it cost him the entire earnings from the whole 70 tour. >grinning smiley<

Why couldn't this happen in 73? Because that year/tour the Stones avoided France like the plague as Keith was stil wanted by the French ministry of Justice for drugs-related charges going back to Nellcote.

And why would the Stones stay in Lyon in 73 if they didn't play a single gig there that year?
According to direct witnesses, Bobby was so damaged by drugs that during the 73 tour (late September?) he was simply shipped home by Jagger, and Trevor Lawrence filled the gap for the remainder of the tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-05 12:52 by dcba.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 5, 2019 16:59

dcba
sittinonafence
Lots of great interviews here. Very enjoyable. Keith came off as very warm and charming. Gave a short version of the incident in '73 that resulted in Bobby leaving the tour and resulted in not being part of the touring band. Contrary to Bobby saying it was only drugs.

Except Keef's betrayed by his memory once again. The "Dom Pérignon" incident happened in Lyon in 1970. Bobby met a charming French lady and he decided he would fill the bathtub of his hotel room with champagne to honor her. And it cost him the entire earnings from the whole 70 tour. >grinning smiley<

Why couldn't this happen in 73? Because that year/tour the Stones avoided France like the plague as Keith was stil wanted by the French ministry of Justice for drugs-related charges going back to Nellcote.

And why would the Stones stay in Lyon in 73 if they didn't play a single gig there that year?
According to direct witnesses, Bobby was so damaged by drugs that during the 73 tour (late September?) he was simply shipped home by Jagger, and Trevor Lawrence filled the gap for the remainder of the tour.

thumbs up

Date: May 6, 2019 18:12

I caught it last night....Loved it....Bobby seemed like a really genuine guy. Jim Price is a pro's pro - he has that "been there -done that and not impressed with myself attitude". Mick Taylor was great.

Glaring omission - one Michael Phillip Jagger. I'm from the Mick camp vs. Keith side but it does make me wonder if his skin is too thin. The only ones I can think of from the 1994 onwards Stones camp that didn't participate was Mick and Chuck.....strange to have Mick Taylor, Darryl, Bernard, Lisa, Ronnie, Keith and Charlie all contribute and not Mick.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:34

dcba
sittinonafence

Interesting to hear, dcba. I have read several places that this happened in Munich 1973; can't remember the sources, but it was not Keith Richards. But the whole touring party might be so out of it during those years; even the reporters, that they can't tell year from year, they might be counting it all in decades

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:39

Erik_Snow
dcba
sittinonafence

Interesting to hear, dcba. I have read several places that this happened in Munich 1973; can't remember the sources, but it was not Keith Richards. But the whole touring party might be so out of it during those years; even the reporters, that they can't tell year from year, they might be counting it all in decades

It also made sense to me that it was 1973, as the new sax-player, Trevor Lawrence or was it Steve Madaio? , didn't have a clue what to do with for instance YCAGWYW in Hamburg, but later on in october, he did a terrific job. But....maybe Bobby was just sent back home without getting to fill up the bathtub with Champagne this time, as you say. That's a bummer

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 6, 2019 18:50

I thought Trevor Lawrence quarterbacked for Clemson. confused smiley

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 6, 2019 19:56

I also watched the documentary on AXS TV a month ago and it's fantastic, a must-see for all Stones fans. He played with a virtual WHO'S WHO in rock...everyone from John Lennon, Sheryl Crow, to the Stones and everyone in between. I met Bobby at the Four Season Hotel in Philly during the NO SECURITY Tour at a Stones after-party and he was one of the sweetest guys I've ever met...totally unaffected, modest and just plain happy to be with HIS band! I stood with him for about a half hour, chatting with him, Tim Ries, Chuck Leavell, Daryl Jones and the rest of the brass section. He had a nice laugh, & a big smile. It was an honor to meet him.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: May 6, 2019 21:53

anyone know where I can find this???....I don't see in on AXSTV's schedule. my bassist did some gigs with Bobby and adored him and said it was amazing to play Brown Sugar and hear the proper sax sound and licks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-08 00:05 by dadrob.

Date: May 7, 2019 12:40

Erik_Snow
dcba
sittinonafence

LOL "counting it all in decades" !! Brilliant.

Date: May 7, 2019 13:51

They didn't have the city right, that's all. I've also heard Munich, as well as Rotterdam.

What's even more puzzling about Keith's memory is how he supposedly snuck Bobby back into the fold in 1989 (without telling Mick) when Mick was happy with Bobby playing entire euro tour in 1982 smiling smiley

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 7, 2019 21:54

Anyone know where you can watch this?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 22, 2020 10:54

DVD Release Date: June 12, 2020

[www.amazon.com]

Blu-ray

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-23 17:53 by Lien.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 22, 2020 12:28

Hound Dog
Anyone know where you can watch this?

Mail me winking smiley

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 22, 2020 17:38

Totally dug the book so gonna have to pre order this dvd.

jb

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: May 24, 2020 04:12

I love the book...this is gonna be good, very good!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 12, 2020 18:37

Date: June 12, 2020 19:16

Great news, thank you!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: June 12, 2020 21:49

I can't recommend this documentary strongly enough. I promise you will learn more than you could ever imagine about our old friend.....and laugh your ass off too.

Mick's absence is very noticeable.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: June 13, 2020 04:24

I will always remember Bobby with affection. Met him several times and he always took time to chat.

The last chat I had with him was at the Savoy hotel in London after the last O2 show in 2007. What a great guy.

I did get to say 'hello' and shake a hand as he was leaving the hotel for the show in Singapore 2014 just 9 months before his death.

I know he's up there playing his sax for the Big Man every night, every night in Heaven is a Saturday night smileys with beer

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 13, 2020 04:46

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: RollingStill50 ()
Date: June 14, 2020 14:33

Watched this several times on dailymotion.com a direct link,about a year or so ago, even shared the link for the password on fb twice, which I can't remember or even locate the via searching Facebook.Password was something like: icontelevisionmusicdocsthatrock

Vimeo has a link for it....maybe the above password works, I haven't tried it yet.
https://
[vimeo.com]
/251343917

Please inquire for password - But where and how???

Excludes rights for US TV, Japan DVD, Netherlands TV, & Poland TV.

Is somebody figures out the pw ..please post!!!

DIRECT TV HAS A LINK MUST SIGN UP
[www.directv.com] <<< REMOVE BRACKETS SO ITS [directv.com]
/tv/The-Rolling-Stones-Bobby-Keys-Every-Night-s-a-Saturday-Night-V1FKTGI5VzBObGJybGQydnpFVzZCdz09

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2020-06-14 14:52 by RollingStill50.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 14, 2020 14:43

I'm more of a Ernie Watts fan. He had a free flow and connected very well with the band. Added another dimension. I have nothing against Bobby Keys but he kind of did his spots and then was out.
Not much improvising there. On the other hand he didn't encroach on the two guitarists. I understand he was a good friend with Keith so...there you go.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: June 14, 2020 22:19

Stoneage
I'm more of a Ernie Watts fan. He had a free flow and connected very well with the band. Added another dimension. I have nothing against Bobby Keys but he kind of did his spots and then was out.
Not much improvising there. On the other hand he didn't encroach on the two guitarists. I understand he was a good friend with Keith so...there you go.

Ernie Watts is certainly due some credit for the 81 sound. I think the versions of Miss You with him playing are some of the best versions ever.

Posted by: fedecarp ()
Date: June 15, 2020 01:12

Does anybody knows if the dvd come with subtitles? Either english or spanish.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2020 01:16

Texan ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: June 15, 2020 08:05

Stoneage

thumbs up
Couldn't agree more, the man definitely added his own touch and complemented the weaving guitarists very nicely with his playing.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1166
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home