Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: What age you had on your first concert?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 12, 2017 09:41

Silver Dagger
I saw Cliff Richard and The Shadows in 1966 at age 9. It was a Christmas pantomime at London Palladium.

I was there too! smileys with beer Beaten out as my first concert by Dylan and then the Stones in May and September. I was 14.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 09:45

Being a teenager back in 81, AC/DC and Van Halen were the two biggest hard rock bands. All the big hard rock 70's bands had either broken up or lost popularity: Zeppelin/Sabbath/Aerosmith/KISS/Purple/Nugent, etc. and this new generation of up and coming bands were getting huge. The New Wave of British Heavy Metal would soon explode in North America!
Looking back at the VH 81 tour, that was my favorite out of the three times I saw the original band (82 and 84 also). Nice stage set and also my favourite Alex Van Halen drum kit as you can see in the Unchained video. 4 floor toms, tons of cymbals, etc.
DLR made up for his singing abilities back then by his acrobatics like doing the splits off the drum riser and high kicks. DLR solo tour in 86 was great, with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: August 12, 2017 10:19

I was 13 when I went to my first concert: Steppenwolf at the old Civic Center in Philadelphia in 1970. My mother went with me because I was so young. She embarrassed me by making me put cotton in my ears when we got to our seats. She should have made me do that in the car before we got inside. At 13, I was mortified!

First Stones concert was in 1972 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Opening act was Stevie Wonder. I was 15.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 12, 2017 10:58

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 12:57 by HankM.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:04

Antwerp 15-oct-1973......23 of age
I only go to Rolling Stones concerts. Live 10km from Werchter (Belgium)

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:29

The first I attended: R.E.M. in Mexico City (last show ever by them), I was 11.

If you ask for my first time performing in front of an audience: last year at college doing some blues numbers in front of 30 people aprox.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:29

Queen, Wembley Stadium 1986

I was 15

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:31

9 years old, Johnny Cash at the Glasgow Apollo, September 1973. Carl Perkins was the support.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 14:11

AC/DC Lausanne.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 12, 2017 14:22

16 years old. Fram kino, Bodø, Norway. Jahn Teigens Popol Vuh. It was far from "convincing".

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: August 12, 2017 14:35

8 years old
23 june 1990 Paris, rainy night

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: August 12, 2017 15:01

I was 10 years old. My first concert was KISS with an unknown special guest called Iron Maiden. The year was 1980.

It was loud, hot, and exciting. A complete overkill for all senses. Especially when you're 10. I loved it and that show changed my life.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: August 12, 2017 15:36

I was 14 years old, two months away from turning 15.

The concert was the Association, at Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg, 1970.

My oldest son's first concert was the Rolling Stones, Voodoo Lounge, Birmingham, Alabama, in 1994, and he was nine years old. Later that year, we took him to Paul McCartney.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: August 12, 2017 15:44

Glastonbury festival sometime around 1980 I was 4 or 5 years old can't remember who was playing though.

Nate

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: August 12, 2017 17:08

Age 16 1983 Jgiels band Boston garden.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 13, 2017 00:07

I took my kid to see Alice Cooper when he was 11, he loved it!

He's now 16, and since that show he's seen the Stones twice, McCartney twice, Ringo, The Who, Jimmy Buffett, Metallica, Rush, Willie Nelson, AC/DC (one of Brian's last shows! the week after he had to quit), and probably a few others I can't remember.

Going to see Ozzy Osbourne in 9 days.

My first was Rush in 1980, I was 15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 17:34 by kovach.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 13, 2017 02:12

The Crystals. Ten I think. It was a high school in Brooklyn, NY; My older cousins took me; It was a special night time show in the auditorium.
They all went to high school together; The Crystals hit very young themselves.I was still ten; maybe 11; (the Invasion would hit at age 12 for me)

Around the same age, Ben E. kING had left the Gospel circuit and had a Bigass commercial hit with Stand By Me.
I guess this would be my first real rock show; It was before the Invasion; I wasn't yet 12; maybe a tiny bit younger: I can't recall...

The "real" one, the first one I decided independent of parents I was going hell or high water,
was Soupy Sales Rock and Roll Show; April '65 I was thirteen to be fourteen in the summer.
I was ready for this one. I had heard a LOT of stuff from '60 on...especially the Invasion from late '63 then POW...everybody everything.
Well that's my intro to the INVASION in the flesh right there;
two actual UK bands with that hair thing going on.
The Hollies. Started with Rockin' Robin.
[www.youtube.com]
Intense loud crisp on the money hot rockin, rolling and reeling; much hotter than this cut off their debut.
They really had it; almost out of control...beautiful job; a wonderful introduction to British rock artists.
They did great; were great' they had great singers and material;
more importantly they came out no holds barred rocking for real; they really did.
Pretty tough stuff, some would be a little surprised maybe. cause they were also so smooth with those harmonies on the big hits...
i did not expect them to blow me back in the chair like that; and they did. I had a very very good impression of them.
Little Richard comes on; he's about 30. It's about ten years since he hit hard...went gospel; quit showbiz; started coming back here and there...

King Curtis Orchestra the backline for every act; Richard however, brings the Jimmy James cat to accompany him on his set.
I didn't have a clue. He wasn't Hendrix yet; well he was...!!
Anyway i just found an article on the show
[bestclassicbands.com]
It was April 65. 14 months since Beatles on Sullivan. A big year for The Stones; I was ready this time.
The Exiciters of Tell Him fame. I still think, and have always thought of Brenda Reid as one of the very best of the female r&b rocking singers and still do;
I mean compared to any and everybody else...
I was thrilled. Dee Dee warwick i can't remeber too well; but she was sweet and good. Dionne's sister.
Richard was off the wall great. He's around 30 years old here. He took it over without a doubt. You see Jimi in the pic,. I'm thrilled to see it; I remember that afternoon.
The Hullaballos were revelatory, Triple-fast-speed Buddy Holly songs almost exclusively.
All four had the requisite long hair look, but all of them dyed a shitty platnium blonde.
These guys could PLAY tho. the drummer was off the hook....and Curtis knew it. and was smiling;
The Hullaballoos do Buddy Holly:
[www.youtube.com]

Brenda Reid (The Exciters) WOW. Some live show around the same general time.
[www.youtube.com]

King Curtis set was fantastic; those guys were all top ace...
Here's one of the tracks Richard cut with Jimi
[www.youtube.com]
Hound Dog
This takes you right to the instrumental section:
[youtu.be]
I see Jimi with a jazzmaster there.
That was the first stuff I saw; somewhere in there I got to see The Righteous Brothers too; and they were outrageously great.
Just occuring to me now; Phil Spector's production of both The Crystals and The Righteous Brothers.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 14:14 by hopkins.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 13, 2017 03:40

14, Elton John in 1975.

Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: August 13, 2017 09:28

The 2014 show in Tel Aviv felt like a one time and last opportunity for my daughters (9 and 13 then) to see the Stones live. My wife left me no choice: "you cannot miss this, the girls have been listening to the Stones for years and finally they play here, buy the tickets, no matter how much they cost (190 U$ each - for a field tix)".
As the MC add goes - the field ticket - 190 U$, seeing the Stones life with your beloved ones - priceless and so it was.
My older daughter sang along during most of the night. The younger, only 9 by then with very basic, almost non existing English, knew the songs, not the words, surprised and moved all of us when at Midnight Rambler she took her harp from her bag and started to play along with Mick.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2017 09:46

Depeche Mode on the "Black Celebration" tour in 1986. I was 15.
I was in the pit and the crowd was wild, much wilder than metal crowds I would realize later.
I remember some "old" woman (she was 35! lol) lost her shoes in the pre-gig melee.

Date: August 13, 2017 10:00

12 I think. The Faces with Ron Wood and Rod.
All in one big smoky blur I saw Deep Purple, Santana, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Frank Zappa, Elton John, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Lou Reed, Traffic (snooze..).
to this day I think Santana was the best show I ever saw. ( In those early Palace days)

I did the math - I was actually a good bit younger for the first Faces show. With family.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-06 14:45 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 13, 2017 10:57

14yo.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Sugery tour.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 13, 2017 11:02

15; Voodoo Lounge Tour.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 13, 2017 13:51

I was 14 and went with my little brother on his birthday on the 7th of august 1996 and we were first in line to see Oasis at Sjöhistoriska in Stockholm 3 Days before their huge shows in Knebworth (only show that summer outside of the UK and Ireland). My first Stones show was in 1998 Ullevi Gothenburg and we got Star#&%##!

Happy Days!

smileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 14, 2017 11:03

Jussi Björling at Gröna Lund 1958...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: HaroldJustin ()
Date: August 14, 2017 12:03

I am starting to feel a little young here now.

My First concert was when I was 16. After days of trying to convince my mother, I was allowed my first stones concert with my dad. It was during the Lick tour back in 2003 in Rotterdam, de Kuip. Such a memorable day it was, standing in front of the gates at 06:00.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 14, 2017 17:49

I was 17 at my very 1st concert. The Commodores (Nightshift Tour) in my hometown. I won 2 freetix on a radioshow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 17:51 by Ladykiller.

Date: August 14, 2017 18:13

My First was Kiss then Queen

I was 13 and were both amazing shows

The next was The Eagles at Arrowhead Stadium

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 14, 2017 18:15

Rock and roll: Age 15 - The Allman Brothers Band (1975)

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 14, 2017 19:10

When I was young: 1973 The Rolling Stones in Rotterdam

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home