Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: What age you had on your first concert?
Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 15, 2017 01:19

the Grateful Dead,I was 15,in 1973, my pal won the tix on the radio,last row in the back of the band,very long show,I then show them over 150 time's ,I first saw the Stone.s in 1975,both first concert's at the old Boston Garden,I now have seen the Stone's over 70 time's

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 15, 2017 02:43

My first concert does not really count. I saw the Joe Ely Band in 1981 when I was 5yo. My family is/was friends with all the Lubbock Mafia guys.

My first real concert was The Rolling Stones in 1989 (earthquake benefit) when I was 13. I LOVED that gig.

Just after that, I went to see AC/DC at the Cow Palace, then the Grateful Dead in Oakland & AC/DC again just after that.

I think 13 is probably a good age for concerts. You can bring younger kids, but I do not know how much they will enjoy it. Never mind if they will remember it, most of us adults forget plenty too...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 15, 2017 06:23

wow Joe Ely. me and billy the kid. ! LOVE that guy!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 15, 2017 06:49

Perth, Feb 1965 21yo. 6 weeks later turned 22.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 15, 2017 06:51

Prior to the Stones in '65 there was Duanne Eddy and Brenda Lee and others from the 50s I cant remember

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: August 15, 2017 18:59

hopkins
wow Joe Ely. me and billy the kid. ! LOVE that guy!

The Flatlanders (Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock) were originally the T-Nickel House Band. T(om) Nickel is my step-dad. Jimmie's son Colin is a good friend (just stayed at our house while on tour with Adam Traum - Happy's son).

These are all really great guys if you get a chance to meet em. Jesse Taylor was the real gift, but sadly he is now gone (and never got the fame his talent deserved...but deserve has little to do with it).

Butch Hancock is one amazingly talented person (music, sculpture, sketching, house building, & more)...and one incredibly friendly person.

I always thought it a bit strange that Bobby Keys was not a part of that circle. They were all about the same age in the town of Lubbock, but Bobby was doing his own thing...I guess that worked out pretty well too.

Tommy Hancock, the Godfather if you will, is worth knowing about too. His family had a good band called The Supernatural Family Band. As I understand Tommy got Buddy Holly his first record deal...and brought Elvis back to Lubbock (played there 3 times) to play at his place, The Cotton Club.

Lubbock may be nowhere (I graduated High School there), but it has had some real talent. Hell, Natalie Maines was a senior when I was a junior...her dad used to pick her up on his motorcycle.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 15, 2017 19:29

Wow. Beautiful. What a great post. Respect and Honor!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:17

crholmstrom
14, Elton John in 1975.

Hey Crholmstrom it must of been the same tour. Elton John was my first also November 74 at Boston Garden just shy of my 14th Birthday.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:24

I'm struck by how many here won tickets from radio stations when they were kids. Such a great way to get to see bands when you're young and broke, and a great intro to live music. I remember winning tix to see The Parachute Club film their video for Rise Up down at Harbourfront in my early 20s. I had been going to concerts for a while but had never seen how a video was shot, that was a cool experience too. Now that tickts are so much more expensive, I'm glad kids can still do this.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 16, 2017 16:42

I don't remember my first concert as I was really lucky that my parents would take us to just about anything they could. They also enrolled us in special school programs where we would go to matinee shows in Boston as field trips. One I remember (have no idea what age I was - elementary/primary school) was a special "drum show". Saw a steel drum orchestra and BUDDY RICH (and others) play in my middle school gymnasium.

What I consider my first "rock" show was in October of 1983 (I was 14) and the Joe Perry Project came and played our high school gymnasium for a benefit show. I wasn't more than 10' from him. I was hooked. For life.

First time to see the Stones was late - 1994. I pulled the trigger too late and missed getting tickets in 1989 by 1 day. In some ways, I think missing them in '89 was what kicked my "fandom" into high gear. I was only casual up until that point.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: August 17, 2017 00:21

These shows were my first shows as a 14 year old in 1973.
I have now seen over 6000 gigs since then.
Check out the bands and dates etc on www.raysgigs.com

Number Band(s) Venue Date Rating Comments
1 Slade Geordie Suzi Quatro (Pop Party) Brands Hatch Racetrack,Kent 12.08.1973 9 No singing just personal appearance. I can remember picking up all these Chris Jagger singles that the promo girl threw out the window.
2 Wizzard + Raymond Froggart Hammersmith Palais, London 11.09.1973 9 First ever proper live concert. We met the band upstairs in the circle after the show for autographs.
3 Mott The Hoople + Queen Hammersmith Odeon, London 14.12.1973 9.5 fantastic double bill .This was the first ever concert I saw at the famous Hammersmith Odeon .Freddie and Queen were great and I think this was their only proper tour as support band and it was before their first ever hit single . Mott The Hoople also did a really great set ." All The Young Dudes " and others.
4 Sweet + Fumble Rainbow Theatre, London 21.12.1973 9.5 "Teenage Rampage" was new single. we had seats 6 rows from the front and The Sweet were fantastic .
5 Elton John + Kiki Dee Hammersmith Odeon, London 23.12.1973 9 got bryan ferry autograph Elton John and his band were always great when they played Hammersmith
6 Elton John + Kiki Dee Hammersmith Odeon, London 24.12.1973 9 This tour was to support current album

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 17, 2017 00:58

Ronnierocks
These shows were my first shows as a 14 year old in 1973.
I have now seen over 6000 gigs since then.
Check out the bands and dates etc on www.raysgigs.com

Number Band(s) Venue Date Rating Comments
1 Slade Geordie Suzi Quatro (Pop Party) Brands Hatch Racetrack,Kent 12.08.1973 9 No singing just personal appearance. I can remember picking up all these Chris Jagger singles that the promo girl threw out the window.
2 Wizzard + Raymond Froggart Hammersmith Palais, London 11.09.1973 9 First ever proper live concert. We met the band upstairs in the circle after the show for autographs.
3 Mott The Hoople + Queen Hammersmith Odeon, London 14.12.1973 9.5 fantastic double bill .This was the first ever concert I saw at the famous Hammersmith Odeon .Freddie and Queen were great and I think this was their only proper tour as support band and it was before their first ever hit single . Mott The Hoople also did a really great set ." All The Young Dudes " and others.
4 Sweet + Fumble Rainbow Theatre, London 21.12.1973 9.5 "Teenage Rampage" was new single. we had seats 6 rows from the front and The Sweet were fantastic .
5 Elton John + Kiki Dee Hammersmith Odeon, London 23.12.1973 9 got bryan ferry autograph Elton John and his band were always great when they played Hammersmith
6 Elton John + Kiki Dee Hammersmith Odeon, London 24.12.1973 9 This tour was to support current album

Slade with Geordie and Suzi Quatro! Geordie was Brian Johnson's band before he joined AC/DC in 1980!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: August 17, 2017 05:59

I was 16 when I saw Humble Pie/ Edgar Winter Group/Ramatam at Gaelic Park, Bronx, New York August 22, 1972. Drank some cheap jug wine and had a great time.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: August 17, 2017 11:56

I was 15 when I saw Alice in Chains in Rotterdam 1993.

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: August 20, 2017 14:24

My first big concert was the Rolling Stones September 1966 in Glasgow and after wards was lucky enough to get the beautiful Tina Turners autograph along with IKe who had a steely glare and eyes like stone.

Posted by: lickskeith ()
Date: August 20, 2017 14:31

First one I was 9...

Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge Paris 1...
The start of a long series!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: August 20, 2017 14:34

I was late to the joys of live music, seeing U2 at Cardiff Arms Park at the age of 20, in 1987 with my brother, then 17. That was the original Joshua Tree tour. Tickets were about £14!!. Last month we saw them at Twickenham, London for the Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary tour, with his 13 yo son in tow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-21 12:20 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 21, 2017 02:01

I was 13 when I saw Mountain at the Felt Forum in 1973. My second was The Who at MSG in 1974, still only 13. They were both insanely loud. For a while, I thought all rock shows were that loud!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-21 03:56 by ab.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 21, 2017 03:32

I don't remember dates, just time frames.
After having my 1981 RS tickets I won off the radio (after my mail order was declined)
ripped from my heart and hands the DAY of the show (don't ask)
all bets were off.
From there (13 years old) I saw a Who farewell show, Aerosmith on an island,
Dan Folgerberg, Three Dog Night, Rush 1st row, (can't remember anymore)
cut to 1989 I bought scalped legit (from the paper) floor seat tickets, closest I could get,
Rolling Stones
the DAY of the show----- crash burn (don't ask)
I said, that's IT.
Until 2015.
xxoo

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: August 21, 2017 04:16

Mine was Alice Cooper in July of 1977. The warm up band who was my actuall first "professional" group I had seen perform was the "Atlanta Rymthm Section". But the I will always remember was on the board sign in large letters was "Elvis Presley Aug 22".

Posted by: masoudi ()
Date: August 21, 2017 07:53

Jagger Auckland 1985 I was 13.

My son Mick's first gig was Slash he was 8 since then he has seen Kiss,AC/DC and the Stones. He isn't 12 yet. Lucky bugger!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 21, 2017 10:38

15 Lou Reed, Firenze 1983

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: August 21, 2017 23:38

17, Crosby, Stills & Nash at MSG 1977....but the first biggie (for me) was the Stones in Philly 1978! Yeah, I know it wasn't their best gig but for a rabid 18 year old fan to see them for the first time, it was killer!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: August 21, 2017 23:41

Me 12.
And now that my son is 5 he will see the Stones in Düsseldorf!

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:27

I was 16 and went to my first concert in 1984 just as the driver-took my little sister to Sammy Hagar. My first Stones concert was delayed until the end of WW3, 1989. I was a Stones fan and wanted to see them since 1982 when the Ps said I was too young.

I have 4 kids aged 22 down to 4. The older three were all between 10 and 12 when they saw their first Stones concert. I took three 11 year olds, my daughter and nieces, to Stones Milwaukee in 2015.

I took my parents to their first Stones show when they were both in their early 60s. Funny since they were 23 in 1970 but never had an interest in music.

Hardly a week goes by that I do not go to live blues or other concerts. I love music. Saw the Stones 8 times since 2012, about 30 times befor then and two more coming up in 2017. Even though the Stones are sex, drugs and R&R to me, I'm glad I took the kids. Take yours!

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: August 23, 2017 05:01

16, Boz Scaggs

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: April 6, 2018 00:55

I was 16 with my 3 friends. Jimi Hendrix Experience April 5,1968 Newark Symphony Hall.
opener-soft machine. Parents not happy!!! Many more after that too.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 6, 2018 01:32

12 years old. Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965.

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: April 6, 2018 02:39

Fleetwood Mac in February 1970 and Taste in October 1970 - aged 15 years.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: April 6, 2018 02:56

in vitro - my parents took my sister to a Nat King Cole show for her birthday when my mother was 8 months pregnant with me - still a huge NKC fan to this day. Out of the hopper? Black Oak Arkansas at 13.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1969
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home