Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The hippies who hated the Summer of Love
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 10, 2017 17:40

An interesting read. Once Sears Roebuck (then, a mighty retail giant) started selling clothes aimed at the counter-culture/younger generation, you knew it was all over. Corporate America was after us Boomers and our buying power. For moi, I still have copies of "Whole Earth" magazine and all of the "Whole Earth" catalogs sitting on a bookshelf. The magazines still have interesting stuff to read, though, I wonder if any of those resources mentioned in the magazine and catalog are still around.

[longreads.com]

"I was so much older then I'm younger than that now." - Bob Dylan

Re: OT: The hippies who hated the Summer of Love
Posted by: resotele ()
Date: August 10, 2017 17:55

Mat Callahan, an american musician and writer from San Francisco, wrote an interresting book about the decade from 1965 to 1975 :

The Explosion of Deferred Dreams: Musical Renaissance and Social Revolution in San Francisco, 1965–1975

"As the fiftieth anniversary of the Summer of Love floods the media with debates and celebrations of music, political movements, “flower power,” “acid rock,” and “hippies”; The Explosion of Deferred Dreams offers a critical re-examination of the interwoven political and musical happenings in San Francisco in the Sixties. Author, musician, and native San Franciscan Mat Callahan explores the dynamic links between the Black Panthers and Sly and the Family Stone, the United Farm Workers and Santana, the Indian Occupation of Alcatraz and the San Francisco Mime Troupe, and the New Left and the counterculture."

[secure.pmpress.org]
[www.amazon.co.uk]
[matcallahan.com]

Resote1e

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 11, 2017 17:01

By 1969, had this became the summer of hate (aftermath of 1968, Manson, etc.)?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 11, 2017 18:19

Elmo Lewis

Dunno. But for me it was the summer of becoming the greatest bodysurfer in the history of the Huntington Beach Pier, south side ... or so I imagined. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 18:19 by LongBeachArena72.

Date: August 11, 2017 18:41

Good read, dmay; thanks.

“We wanted to signal that this was the end of it” as one organizer explained. “Stay where you are, bring the revolution to where you live and don’t come here because it’s over and done with.”

I had been dimly aware of the "death of the hippie" march; had no idea that the 'corpse' was labelled "Hippie, Son of Media." Brilliant!

Now I gotta go back and re-read Didion's essay ...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 11, 2017 20:02

LongBeachArena72
Elmo Lewis

Dunno. But for me it was the summer of becoming the greatest bodysurfer in the history of the Huntington Beach Pier, south side ... or so I imagined. cool smiley

Cool! For me it was the summer of being the best (IMHO) 8 year old shortstop ever. cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 11, 2017 21:26

I wasn't alive yet, but it was the summer The Monkees outsold The Beatles and The Stones combined. Says it all really.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 11, 2017 22:48

Elmo Lewis
LongBeachArena72
Elmo Lewis

Cool! For me it was the summer of being the best (IMHO) 8 year old shortstop ever. cool smiley

Sorry LongBeachArena71, but I believe I was the best body surfer at Huntington Beach, south side of the pier, in '67. I was there almost every day but I don't recall seeing you!

Date: August 12, 2017 00:25

Mebbe you were in 67 DaveG but I was talkin bout 69 and by 69 you were WAY over the hill and I was still a whippersnapper!

I was the guy who had LONGBEACHARENA72 emblazoned on my Duck Feet!

Posted by: curt ()
Date: August 12, 2017 12:52

For me '69 was a midpoint of sorts and can relate to the possibility that "the sixties" actually occupied the time space between '65 and '75.

That year for me was both Woodstock (there for 9 days, not three) and Altamont with a whole bunch of other stuff mixed in that was about a lot of "festivals" and gigs in all manner of dive.

I was totally present and accounted for in many causes and efforts during that particular renaissance, but I guess rock and roll won out...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home