Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: (semi-OT) tech question: 256 or 320 Kbps. Difference ?
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 10, 2017 09:20

Hope you don't mind a quick tech question here; it is Not unrelated to my Stones collection in varying formats, which I have purchased btw, out of both self-interest for best authentic quantity as produced and delivered, thru many companies and various re-issues in various formats. I'm a good customer; I also do it out of some sense of weird pride; like these are my guys and i bought their record. i keep buying the same one over and over and over and over and I'm ok with it...

... this is a legit question I think. I'm trying to manage this, AND otherwise produced products thru various conversion schemes for multi-media creative projects too.

The thing is I'm behind modern times; I haven't had proper access and when I have, I've had to delegate such things and hope for the best...
...there is a difference I hear, but people don't seem to popularly acknowledge or use; bewtween 256 abd 320 kbps ? On youtube for example most of my friends and their kids go for 16 bit; not the 'best' and things seem fine...

...when i listen to the same purchased and produced product on various players, say window media player would be famously proliferate....
....they sound pretty damn excellent and dimensional to me...
...and i guess ?? ??? that would be 16 bit (256 kbps) on 'standard' commercially released cds?
Whatever it is (?) it sounds impactful; the bass holds together nicely; it sounds kinda like what I imagine was their best and most satisfying mix...
...nothing squawks or squeaks or improperly jumps out of the high mid-range vocals for example...

If i put the same material; (does the media 'player' have better quality or play at greater than 256?
How come it sounds weaker and artifacky in comparison when I put it thru Moviemaker along with other tracks and photos i've done post-produciton on; and put long snippets of audio along with them...and then let the 'mp3' or mp4' thing that youtube and others do for conversion...do its thing with the audio too?

Should I have ripped it at 320? Would it download slower? Does the conversion process make it a bit, or more than that, more 'artifacky'...
seems like it enhances certain frequencies unpleasantly...a harmony or something will sound just a hair off;
but it's not when i listen to the cd.... ? which confuses me; i did a lot of research, or what I could absorb from it...
...and most people say no one can even tell the difference.
i'm afraid of even asking the question; as I'm just now getting to where people were at a long long time ago....but i'm thrilled by it; and also getting my collection really accessible and personalized; and portable too;

i want to make friends with the technology but i feel it keeps biting me in the ass. does any of this make sense to anybody? thank you...

Re: OT: (semi-OT) tech question: 256 or 320 Kbps. Difference ?
Date: August 10, 2017 09:27

also seems to make a lot of the bass oomph disappear;
you have to listen really really hard for what dynamically leaps out naturally, and sustains itself properly, warmly present,
from the same source material; so i am confused. ty.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 10, 2017 10:46

I don't notice a difference between 192-320. But lower than that music is distorted and tinny to me. Of course FLAC is the preferred standard, though it takes more space. My 2 cents.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 10, 2017 22:44

If you want to keep things simple listen to lossless music. Flac or wav. Mp3 is a thing of the past anyway.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 10, 2017 22:49

The mastering is more important to me. A non-brickwalled MP3 file still sounds better than a brickwalled lossless file.

It is the mastering foremost which for me is important.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: August 11, 2017 05:10

The difference is 64 Kbps.

You're welcome.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 11, 2017 23:01

misterfrias
The difference is 64 Kbps.

You're welcome.

You beat me to it! smiling smiley A regular CD plays at 1440 kbps so with mp3, the higher the bit rate the better. Not sure if there would be a big difference in sound between 256 and 320.
Similar comparison would be on cell phone cameras. My Galaxy settings can take pics as low as 2.4meg resolution or as high as 16 meg. Guess it all depends on how clear you want a picture and how much memory you want to take up.

Date: August 11, 2017 23:03

ty for responses those who did...
i just put things on hold until I'm a bit more convinced the way to go...
computer give ms the option of mp3 or wave...as well as kbps rates if i go that way....
...trying to learn, absorb, and take best care with the sonics before sharing things I care about on youtube or elsewhere...even attaching files to mailings; do not want to make peeople who are downloading it do a lot of waiting...learning as I go.... ty much appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 06:24 by hopkins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home