Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP Glen Campbell
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:40

[www.rollingstone.com]

The documentary changed my opnion about him (not in the positive way), but I alwayd liked his music. Terrific guitarist too. RIP Glen.

[youtu.be]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 23:47 by BowieStone.

Re: OT - RIP Glen Campbell
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:46

Sad.

RIP Glen.

Thanks for the music and the memories.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:48

Great guitarist; there'll be a nice jam with Allen Toussaint on Southern Nights. Plus Glen also did a great track with Brian Wilson, Guess I'm Dumb.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:50

tomcasagranda
Plus Glen also did a great track with Brian Wilson, Guess I'm Dumb.

Absolutely fantastic.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:52

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:57

BowieStone
tomcasagranda
Plus Glen also did a great track with Brian Wilson, Guess I'm Dumb.

Absolutely fantastic.

Wasn't he on the Wrecking Crew?

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:00

From Rolling Stone- In his youth, Campbell started playing guitar and became obsessed with jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. He dropped out of school when he was 14 and moved to Wyoming with an uncle who was a musician, playing gigs together at rural bars. He soon moved to Los Angeles and by 1962 had solidified a spot in the Wrecking Crew, a group of session pros. In 1963 alone he appeared on 586 cuts, and countless more throughout the decade, including the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas,” Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:24

roryfaninva
From Rolling Stone- In his youth, Campbell started playing guitar and became obsessed with jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. He dropped out of school when he was 14 and moved to Wyoming with an uncle who was a musician, playing gigs together at rural bars. He soon moved to Los Angeles and by 1962 had solidified a spot in the Wrecking Crew, a group of session pros. In 1963 alone he appeared on 586 cuts, and countless more throughout the decade, including the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas,” Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

Thanks.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:29

Kinda makes me wish I could have been the type of 14 year old who would get obsessed with Django Reinhardt instead of Looney Toons and Curly-era Three Stooges. Godspeed Glen!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 00:33 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:35

R.I.P., Mister Campbell. You played on and brought some great music to this world.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:57

I knew things were bleak, and just posted Galveston in the 'what are you listening to' yesterday - still very sad to read that he passed.
My dad had the album with the tune Gentle on My Mind (written by John Hartford) back in '67, and played it constantly when I was four years old...some great memories attached to that song.

RIP Glen Campbell...

Glen Campbell - Gentle On My Mind ...sad smiley

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 9, 2017 01:19

RIP Mr Campbell

I am glad he was able to go out on tour and do one last go round like he did.

He will never really be gone, his music and movies will keep him alive forever. He seems like one of famous good guys. He m,ade me smile many times. It was fun hearing the Stones play part of his weechyta lineman (made famous by Mr Campbell written by Jimmy Webb) back in 2006. I just watched the real True Grit the other day, Mr Campbell was great in that....and so much more.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 9, 2017 01:31

Can we still use rhinestones? I wonder...thanks GC

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 9, 2017 01:47

Saw this on Billboard.com a couple of weeks ago:

Watch Glen Campbell's Guitar Go on a Final Journey in Heartwarming 'Adios' Video

Adios video

Glen Campbell bewitched America with his charismatic personality, indisputable talent and exquisite guitar playing. Now it's time for his guitar to go on its last journey as the country star fights Alzheimer's disease, surrounded by family.

In a new music video for "Adios," the title track from Campbell's farewell LP, the guitar travels across the country in the hands of loved ones and fans. His daughter Ashley is the first one to see it off, and his grandson Jeremy is the last one to hold it before a Viking funeral for the instrument in California.

From Nashville, where the star is now, to California, where he lived with his family in Malibu, fans are invited along on the final journey. The music video was created by award-winning director Peter Zavadil, who takes a trip down memory lane and through the archives as well as across America.

Campbell's final album Adios was recorded in 2012 and debuted in the top 40 of the Billboard 200 earlier this year. It is his 16th to open in the top 40, and Campbell's two Billboard Hot 100 chart-toppers from the 1970s -- "Southern Nights" and "Rhinestone Cowboy" -- are still familiar tunes 40 years later.

Watch Glen Campbell's "Adios" below:

Glen Campbell - Adiós

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 9, 2017 01:56

He recorded an album in 1968 with Bobbie Gentry.

Let It Be Me: [www.youtube.com]

Little Green Apples: [www.youtube.com]

Full album: [www.youtube.com]

Date: August 9, 2017 02:54

Glen wrote a song called Any Trouble. So Stiff alums, Any Trouble, wrote a song called Glen Campbell. Video production by the great Nigel Dick.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 03:01 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 9, 2017 04:28

His early days as a session guy are fascinating. A true and talented guy. Thanks, Glen!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 9, 2017 05:11

I had the pleasure of seeing Glen Campbell at The Birchmere in VA on his last tour before he will too ill to perform anymore. It was beautiful to see how his children supported him with such love and devotion and Glen's talent was still so awe inspiring.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 9, 2017 05:15

Fantastic artist, session muso, writer and singer.

A great well of material – much of it already holding classic status.

My decade-departed DAD loved him – TRIED to get me into him in MY youth. I "resisted" – as I had for Roy Orbison, but nudge-nudge-wink-wink, I secretly thought they were both cool.

RIP Glen – your last album Adios is yet another beauty!

Rod

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 9, 2017 05:24

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: August 9, 2017 06:53

RIP Glen. He was a big part of my childhood, my sister and family had a lot of his records and I always liked the string of hits he did with Jimmy Webb's compositions.Also remember watching his variety show when I was a school age kid.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 9, 2017 08:06

latebloomer
I had the pleasure of seeing Glen Campbell at The Birchmere in VA on his last tour before he will too ill to perform anymore. It was beautiful to see how his children supported him with such love and devotion and Glen's talent was still so awe inspiring.
Not everyone gets a chance do that type of album and tour...
I was happy Mr Campbell did and it is great to hear you were able to see that tour.

Those kind of memories are priceless

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: August 9, 2017 09:27

I'm glad to have seen him twice on his farewell tour. He could still play great guitar and sing almost as well as ever. I grew up with his songs on the radio, his TV show, and remember seeing both of his movies in theaters.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 9, 2017 09:35

I wasn't a huge fan in general, but Wichita Lineman is one of the best songs ever written, IMO, even though I know he didn't write it.* It was hard seeing him in his later years, hope he's in a better place now. RIP.

*I didn't know he was the seventh son of a seventh son, however.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 10:01 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 9, 2017 11:56

a few of his songs really resonate with my childhood in the 60s. "Galveston" & "Wichita Lineman" in particular. RIP.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 9, 2017 12:49

Massive body of work but it'll always be Wichita & Phoenix for me ...

Thanks for all you gave ....
Take Care and Safe Journey ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 9, 2017 12:56

R.I.P. Truly one of the greats .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 9, 2017 14:16

I only saw him one time, at an all-star tribute to Jimmy Webb at Lincoln Center in New York in 1993. He did "Wichita Lineman" and "Galveston" with a full orchestra behind him, which was amazing to say the least. There was some question about who was going to sing "MacArthur Park" that night, especially since it had been teased that "a very special surprise guest" would appear. Well, Richard Harris didn't show up, and neither did Donna Summer, so Glen did the honors, and man, did he ever knock it out of the park. A grand slam home run .... and that tough New York audience just melted at his feet. One of the greatest things I've seen in my over 40 years of going to concerts.

Date: August 9, 2017 14:22

latebloomer

The Mount Rushmore of Country music. Check out the way they used that photo in this video for "Ghost On the Canvas." It's really beautiful.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 14:23 by tatters.

Date: August 9, 2017 14:26

Not to disparage Glen's versions, but you really haven't heard Jimmy Webb's songs until you've heard Jimmy Webb sing them.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 14:29 by tatters.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2002
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home