Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Off Topic Post
Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:10

In Defense of Cigarettes
Drudgereport headline. Cannot copy and paste for some readon but the author obviously likes Keith. His photo is featured twice. Actually, the article is not a bad read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 09:45 by bv.

Re: In Defense of Cigarettes
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:14

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:18

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:31

I think the writer is holding a view which would be supported by very few people these days.
Cigarettes can cause a whole range of health issues, not just the obvious one (lung cancer).
Bill, Charlie, Ronnie: all been treated for cancer. That's 60% of the Stones.
All smokers for prolonged periods.
The so called 'cool' image of Keith, Robert Mitchum and most French actors (for example) dangling a cigarette........its so yesterday!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:38

The Weekly Standard is a right-wing rag...they're just trying to be edgy and contrarian.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:56

keefriff99
The Weekly Standard is a right-wing rag...they're just trying to be edgy and contrarian.

Interesting times...at one time is was the 'left' who were edgy etc and the 'right'
were the established, or establishment view.

I think the left/ right description has probably had its day.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:02

Great photo of Keith...still the archetypal rock star.

look at those knuckles...i can't see how he could ever take his ring off.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:15

Nasty habit. I should know. Once smoked an average of four packs of cigs a day. Stopped years ago cold turkey. I understand the habit. Wonder every once in awhile about having a smoke, but my respiratory system says, "F*ck no. You'll be hacking and coughin' for hours." Bronchitis over the years will do that to your system. It's why, on bad air days here in Arizona, I make a point of restricting my time outside. Re people smoking cigs, I don't judge 'em having been, like I noted, a heavy duty smoker for a good part of life. Re cigs themselves, they figure in movies and music. Just watched "Out Of The Past" with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas on TCM this past weekend. Lord did Mitchum smoke a lot in the flick. Cigs also figured in music. Here's two.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 8, 2017 18:16

jlowe
keefriff99

Interesting times...at one time is was the 'left' who were edgy etc and the 'right'

It depends on the topic.

Swap out cigarettes for weed, and all of the sudden the left are the edgy ones, and the right are the repressive killjoys who want to shut down dispensaries and legal sale at the state level.

Politicians tried for years to quash any investigation into tobacco because they were reliant on Big Tobacco campaign contributions.

As much as I despise tobacco, I can't intellectually justify saying weed should be legal while saying tobacco should be banned as a public health hazard (although it is).

Both should be legal with the full risks known and publicized. Smoking rates have gone down precipitously in the U.S. just by educating the public on the dangers, yet is still readily available for purchase at any gas station or truck stop.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 8, 2017 18:43

Pictures of Keith making a show of smoking really bug me these days.

He's done too much already to reinforce the misguided notion that smoking is "cool"--and it really ain't.

I was relieved that he wasn't holding a cig on the cover of his last album, unlike his first two. I don't know if he was getting money from Big Tobacco on those--but he should have. He was the Rock n Roll version of Joe Camel.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:13

I smoked from the age of 13 to 34. I quit 12 years ago, as the chest infections were getting harder to shift. I started on Silk Cuts, graduated to Marlboro Reds, and then to Rothmans Royals, and finally Marlboro Lights.

At the age of 17, I moved on to spliffs, and smoked them until the age of 25.

I just think both are not very good for you. I can remember doing a Latin unseen finals paper at uni, and wishing more for a smoke. That sort of thing makes you a bit of a slave, and you start to have a lack of control.

However, I'm not anti smoking, just disappointed with myself for succumbing to something that I'm not proud of.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:19

keefriff99
jlowe
keefriff99

It depends on the topic.

Swap out cigarettes for weed, and all of the sudden the left are the edgy ones, and the right are the repressive killjoys who want to shut down dispensaries and legal sale at the state level.

Politicians tried for years to quash any investigation into tobacco because they were reliant on Big Tobacco campaign contributions.

As much as I despise tobacco, I can't intellectually justify saying weed should be legal while saying tobacco should be banned as a public health hazard (although it is).

Both should be legal with the full risks known and publicized. Smoking rates have gone down precipitously in the U.S. just by educating the public on the dangers, yet is still readily available for purchase at any gas station or truck stop.

*Medicinal cannibus has multiple methods to administer - inhaling actual smoke is just one of them.
I support medical marijuana 100%. Sure wish the states w/ the heaviest opioid deaths would have these laws passed, up and running dispensaries-
Notice I did not say I fully support recreational MJ-
With legal medical MJ, a person must renew a license to use annually- signed off by an MD, and from what I'm 'told' these MD's actually educate on cannibus, ask why you want a license, check in annually. In other words, the people using it know what they're doing. With recreational use, anybody, right? Mixing, etc.
As for cigarettes, obviously it is the drug nicotine, which also has some less hazards methods of application- lozenges, patches, etc.
Nicotine is a bitchh.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 8, 2017 20:09

Cannabis is legal and more than pretty proliferate and availabe in my county and state. There are various manners of administration. It is way too expensive tho a remarkably effective medicine. It will be commercially exploited and filled with combinants and other, manufacture proliferately; it already is here; perhaps only Colorad had more aggressive application and access....
...as they legalize 'recreational' cannabis, they make sure they are limiting and criminalizing growing for farmers and healers who would distrube medicines more in line with with a co-pay system, making availability of non-toxic substance with ab no toxic level approachable for a wide varity of patients. I think 'recreational' laws, tho I am not opposed to them strictly speakin; it is so much safer than alcohol related deaths and despair, but I think that 'recreational' legislation actually delegitmizes, in some ways, the medical application. It is a whole vegetable with a no toxic level we're discussing...with very many, and hugely beneficial other application from fast growing, quickly harvestable Hemp products that provide fabric, building materials, paper and a hundred other vitally necessary applications in an easilsy sustainable manner. The re-growth is so fast and hearty that it can be harvested and re-grown year round with the proper techniques...

It is saving lives. Not just allowing people to lessen or eliminate pain medicines that do have side effects, but also great response for PTSD, a range of cancers actually as well; as well as neuro-musclar disease....

Kids and senior with life-threatenging convulsions respond within seconds and minutes...
...the psycho-active compoonet has medical benefits was well; tho there is THC-A also so those who do not tolerate or benefit from psyco-active responses can still obtain it's healing benefits.

Mr. Jagger has encouaged his audiences to have a 'joint' on occasion in large gatherings that were also telecast world-wide to millions; not that The Rolling Stones are reliable prescriptive entities... ho ho ho....i do not smoke it personally; well I have on rare occasions. The vaping technology interests me however. It seems a pretty clean way to adminstrate with out inhaling burning materials. The diluted nasal spray has been life-saving for toddlers with terrible seizure disease. Parents all across the county have been willing to be publically criminalized in service of their ill children. I admire that tremendously.

Increasingly, Veterans of war in my country, especially combat veterans, in full uniform and with respect, have gone public and filmed themselves testifying during adminstration. These guys are heros twice imo.

As for cigarettes; I think the chemical buring agentss, and seperating the nictoine component chemically and adding it back in, along with other chemicals, is sort of murderous...I don't know aout straight tobacco; I imagine it's less harmful; but inhaling burning materials over time probably not the greatest thing....
...i think the disease=causing effects are profoud. Chris Rock does a funny bit, imaginging what it would be like if 'Peopel of Color,' generally speaking, were bringing the product with this kind of damage-profile to the marketplace...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 20:13 by hopkins.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 8, 2017 20:14

keefriff99
jlowe
keefriff99

It depends on the topic.

Correct , but weed gets you high .What does tobacco do ?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 8, 2017 20:21

Cigarettes are far from being banned in the USA; it is THE major agricultural resource, tho murderous imo, for many States...it is widely distributed and advertised.
Cannabis is a whole vegetable with no toxic level. You'd have to be hit by a cargo plane carrying it to have a directly related death. It dosen't require processing like poppies and other plants that have benefit-damage ratios that are essential to discern with preventitive awareness...

the 'epidemic' commonly being advertised, is a money thing; it is statisically insignicant; totally; copmared to medical mistakes, iatrogenic illness' and tobacco-alcohol related disease and deaths. It does not even register a comparartive tiny bump.
It is intereasting to look at the time periods and demographics that have inspired a set of new laws that promote social-engineering at the expense of, errrr, reality. $$$
cue the pr elements and sob stories...check out which entities are massively involved in new, and enforced, rehab entities... ...it's a cash cow...

Date: August 8, 2017 22:34

TheGreek
keefriff99
jlowe
keefriff99

It depends on the topic.

Correct , but weed gets you high .What does tobacco do ?
Oh, I completely agree, but from a civil liberties perspective, I think both should be legal.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 8, 2017 22:55

Didn't click on the article, but if it is serious I wonder how much big tobacco paid that shill to write such an article?

The only reason cigarettes are still legal is so big tobacco comapanies can continue to afford to pay the massive fines to states.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 22:58 by HankM.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:17

There is no defence in smoking cigarettes.
I gave them up more than 30 years ago .
Keith will soon say no to them after the Ronnie scare.
Anyone can give them up..................whoever you are.thumbs up

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:32

Couldn't be bothered reading all the article, its something i worked out for myself a few years ago.
Smoking kills, yeah, but it doesn't kill everyone.
Trouble is you can never know if it will kill you or not, and for that reason i quit a few years ago.
But its no good giving up cigarettes if you are going to be a couch potato, put on 4 stone, drink 6 beers every night eat shit and never take a walk.
People need to look at the whole picture, if you must smoke stay fit and eat healthy.
When i smoked cannabis i got the munches so bad i put on 3 stone, so i don't recommend that either.
Its a boring life with no vices though, you just gotta do what makes you happy to some extent. If having no vices makes you happy then bingo thats me most of the time. Its not always about how long you live so much as how you live.
And lets not forget we all live in a toxic environment these days, from the air you breath to the food you eat and the water you drink.
Smoking is just one concern. Lets not forget about the others, prescription drugs is the new evil in imho.
Take uncle Keith's advice children, don't do this at home.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 8, 2017 23:48

stone4ever
Couldn't be bothered reading all the article, its something i worked out for myself a few years ago.
Smoking kills, yeah, but it doesn't kill everyone.
Trouble is you can never know if it will kill you or not, and for that reason i quit a few years ago.
But its no good giving up cigarettes if you are going to be a couch potato, put on 4 stone, drink 6 beers every night eat shit and never take a walk.
People need to look at the whole picture, if you must smoke stay fit and eat healthy.
When i smoked cannabis i got the munches so bad i put on 3 stone, so i don't recommend that either.
Its a boring life with no vices though, you just gotta do what makes you happy to some extent. If having no vices makes you happy then bingo thats me most of the time. Its not always about how long you live so much as how you live.
And lets not forget we all live in a toxic environment these days, from the air you breath to the food you eat and the water you drink.
Smoking is just one concern. Lets not forget about the others, prescription drugs is the new evil in imho.
Take uncle Keith's advice children, don't do this at home.

Totally agree with with you, I smoke myself but I rather stop, were I live we have very bad toxic environment next to the highway and a busy road 200 meters next to my house so if something will kill me it's that..........

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:52

Why is it that people can only think of cigarettes in terms of smoke-aholics, always fiending away like crazy? Ever hear of smoking just 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, and instead of buying from big tobacco maybe try organic tobacco instead?

People are so reactionary these days.

Did you know you can get lung cancer without smoking? You can also get liver disease without drinking.

In fact, too much of anything will kill you. Even vitamins have toxicity levels.

Nicotine doesn't kill, but ignorance does.

Oh, if you think you're avoiding nicotine by avoiding cigarettes, think again. If you've eaten potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, or eggplant lately, then you've had nicotine in your system.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 9, 2017 00:56

Ask any former (and most current) smokers....addictive as hell and absolute poison..throat cancer, lung cancer, mouth cancer, emphysema.....truly evil.

Date: August 9, 2017 01:13

stonehearted
Why is it that people can only think of cigarettes in terms of smoke-aholics, always fiending away like crazy? Ever hear of smoking just 2 or 3 cigarettes a day, and instead of buying from big tobacco maybe try organic tobacco instead?

Very few products which people ingest give the kinds of warnings on the side of the product box which cigarettes do, even the organic ones have to say it. It is like the companies selling tobacco products are mocking, laughing, pointing at and making fun of people who buy their products.

I think anyone under 30 who smokes is an idiot. There is no good reason to start smoking these days. The facts have been out for a long long long time and anyone who started smoking after the facts were out is an idiot.

I know it is hard to stop smoking... but it is also not easy to start smoking. Cigs do nothing good for anyone (except the companies selling them and the states getting paid millions in fines). Cigs don't get you high, there is no instant reward for the risk, mostly coughing at the beginning. It takes a while to be able to smoke as the body is saying it is bad. Anyone these days who pushes through the coughing because they really wanna smokes is a dumbfuk.

I understand weak people who have smoked forever have a hard time quitting... they started before we knew all of the fact... but kids today who smoke are fuking idiots.

And when you figure in the price ($5.00-$20.00 per pack) is is a no brainer to say fuk cigarettes (when I smoked it was 45 cents a pack).

Then add in the stink of cigarettes... More and more I am dissuaded from going to peoples homes who smoke. I visit them and 2-3 days later the shirt or coat I was wearing at their house still smells like toxic chemical shit... and kissing a gal who smokes makes it less fun.

But as long as big tobacco is paying the massive yearly fines they will not ban cigarettes.

Date: August 9, 2017 02:01

At least if you smoke and drive, you don't increase the risk of killing anyone.

Oh, right, but the big billion dollar sports franchises and their broadcasting networks need their advertising revenue.

Date: August 9, 2017 03:02

It is all about who is getting paid... it is how this world operates.

But... at least booze gets ya drunk...
Cigarettes simply have a bad risk/return.

I quickly admit I have/had all sorts of bad vices and have done (still do) what many many people would probably refer to me as "being an idiot", but I do my best to at least make it a profit deal. The exhilaration of ............... is pretty thrilling but sure death if ......... but it is sure is fun.... and I admit am probably an idiot for doing it.

Cigarettes are not thrilling or exciting or even make you feel good.
Isnt tapping a pencil or playing with a fidget spinner kind of the same thing?

But it is fact that nicotine and habits are very very hard to kick.
The only winning move is not to play start.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 9, 2017 03:05

Goes great with a cup of coffee!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 9, 2017 03:10

*not unless it simultaneously injects nicotine in your system.
It is the actual drug itself
"Nicotine, when examined separately from smoking, is thought to be an excellent and safe brain enhancer. It boosts brain function in healthy adults and in those with mental health problems. It shows promise in treating brain disorders including ADHD, depression, schizophrenia, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's."

P.S.
Yes, I am 100% against anyone starting smoking, and wish the addiction itself on no-one. But I am compassionate about how nicotine affects some people.

Date: August 9, 2017 03:25

They don't break records like this anymore.

Date: August 9, 2017 03:31

35love

*not unless it simultaneously injects nicotine in your system.
It is the actual drug itself
"Nicotine, when examined separately from smoking, is thought to be an excellent and safe brain enhancer. It boosts brain function in healthy adults and in those with mental health problems. It shows promise in treating brain disorders including ADHD, depression, schizophrenia, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's."

Interesting, I did not know that.

Date: August 9, 2017 03:33

stonehearted
They don't break records like this anymore.

Seems a little dangerous to have a fan that close to his ear grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home