Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Musical Preferences Survey
Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 06:29

Hi all, I am currently working on a Thesis about Musical Preferences and the connection to personality, if you could spare 30 seconds to fill out a little survey it would help me out a lot, thanks, [www.surveymonkey.com]

Re: OT Musical Preferences Survey
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 8, 2017 12:54

That was fun!

One thing struck me as potentially problematic in tabulating the data. R&B, one the genres listed, could be interpreted by the survey respondent either as old school R&B or new school R&B. The two are 180 degrees different, and attract a radically different audience and (I would posit) personality type. (Similar situation, although less extreme, for Country.) Old school R&B is soulful and mellow. New R&B is manic and brash.

For what school, degree, and discipline are you writing this thesis? Hope you'll share the results smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: August 8, 2017 12:59

Yeah, I didn't know whether it meant «rhythm & beats» (today's r&b) or «rhythm & blues». Could affect my answers, I'm afraid smiling smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 8, 2017 13:38

'rhythm & beats'?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2017 13:46

....are there any prizes for doing the survey ?

ROCKMAN

Date: August 8, 2017 15:12

Olly
'rhythm & beats'?

That's r&b today, unfortunately..

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: August 8, 2017 15:28

lapaz62
Hi all, I am currently working on a Thesis about Musical Preferences and the connection to personality, if you could spare 30 seconds to fill out a little survey it would help me out a lot, thanks, [www.surveymonkey.com]

Q 11: Do you like Mick Taylor ? grinning smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 8, 2017 15:35

question 9 (income) is very nation-influenced. If you're looking for an international survey, it's even irrelevant I'd say.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 8, 2017 15:39

Not sure what you're going to gleam from these 10 questions but what the hey...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:19

Done... The vagueness of R&B made it a stumbling block for me. I'm a huge fan of one type of R&B while I really don't care much at all for another. I used the "Other" category to represent "Soul & Funk".

Hope you get an "A" on your thesis!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 8, 2017 16:26

Reggae, Calypso, etc. may have deserved it's own category, or maybe a 'World Music' category.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:41

I pretty much prefer good music. I particularly prefer great music. I'm OK with fairly good music most of the time; I really am not that into mediocre or bad music. Highly stratified and uber-demographied generally narrow approaches to music appreciation thru charting and media push-projects does not particuarly engage me.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:49

Please add a reggae column.

Date: August 8, 2017 19:54

hopkins
I pretty much prefer good music. I particularly prefer great music. I'm OK with fairly good music most of the time; I really am not that into mediocre or bad music. Highly stratified and uber-demographied generally narrow approaches to music appreciation thru charting and media push-projects does not particuarly engage me.

I think what you're getting at is not all music falls into a particular category.

I have this discussion with my son all the time when he asks "is this hard rock or heavy metal". I tell him not everything fits into a particular genre, and it doesn't really matter if it's good and you like it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2017 20:32

kovach
hopkins

I think what you're getting at is not all music falls into a particular category.

I have this discussion with my son all the time when he asks "is this hard rock or heavy metal". I tell him not everything fits into a particular genre, and it doesn't really matter if it's good and you like it.

That is true kovach, but also this:

Take a question such as "Do you listen to metal"?
I listen to some of it, but definitely not all of it, and there's so many categories within it that it can't really be labelled under a single category.
Same goes for the rap or hip hop question.
And the same goes for any category really.

Do you listen to country?
Yes, the classic stuff ala Hank Williams, George Jones, Merle, etc., etc., etc., but I say hell no to most contemporary/modern country music

And within each of those artists/bands I do like, there's stuff from them I don't like - the Rolling Stones would be a perfect example of this.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 8, 2017 20:57

lapaz62

some advice from a professional point of view: If your are interessted in musical tastes in relation to class background (in your survey operationalized as income) you should read Bourdieus field theory and add some questions about other aesthetic preferences (art, clothing, maybe food) to your survey. A question on educational background seems to be necessary too.
I you focus on personality three rather simple questions is not too much…

Date: August 8, 2017 21:23

Hairball
kovach
hopkins

I listen to some of it, but definitely not all of it, and there's so many categories within it that it can't really be labelled under a single category.

Yes, the classic stuff ala Hank Williams, George Jones, Merle, etc., etc., etc., but I say hell no to most contemporary/modern country music

And within each of those artists/bands I do like, there's stuff from them I don't like - the Rolling Stones would be a perfect example of this.

Agree 100%.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 8, 2017 21:34

TheflyingDutchman
lapaz62

Q 12: Do you like Mick Jagger's new singles ? grinning smiley

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 8, 2017 22:10

did I win the grand prize?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 8, 2017 22:29

What about new wave/ post- punk?

Date: August 9, 2017 04:55

swiss
That was fun!

One thing struck me as potentially problematic in tabulating the data. R&B, one the genres listed, could be interpreted by the survey respondent either as old school R&B or new school R&B. The two are 180 degrees different, and attract a radically different audience and (I would posit) personality type. (Similar situation, although less extreme, for Country.) Old school R&B is soulful and mellow. New R&B is manic and brash.

For what school, degree, and discipline are you writing this thesis? Hope you'll share the results smiling smiley

- swiss
Yes. I meant new R&B, old country and new country etc, it was just impossible to put so many genres and sub genres into a survey, if it was too big, nobody would be bothered to finish it, so I made it as small as possible to get some of the information that I need. It is for an Audio Engineering degree, the last subject is a thesis and it's all over, YAY.

Date: August 9, 2017 04:57

TheflyingDutchman
lapaz62

Answer to question 11 is, Hell Yeah.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 9, 2017 05:07

I couldn't get past question 2.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 9, 2017 06:10

kovach
Hairball
kovach
hopkins

Agree 100%.
+1

Date: August 9, 2017 07:08

slewan
lapaz62

some advice from a professional point of view: If your are interessted in musical tastes in relation to class background (in your survey operationalized as income) you should read Bourdieus field theory and add some questions about other aesthetic preferences (art, clothing, maybe food) to your survey. A question on educational background seems to be necessary too.
I you focus on personality three rather simple questions is not too much…
Nice tip, thank you. Most of the stuff that I am reading revolves around Myers Briggs and the Big-Five on personality types and preferences. I should have included educational level, where you live, job etc, but a big questionnaire turns many off.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2017 09:56

lapaz62

Where else are you posting links to the Survey ?

The results you get around here might differ somewhat from those sourced from other demographics .winking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 10, 2017 06:49

Done! smileys with beer

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 10, 2017 16:49

Done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home