Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Worlds Greatest Rock N' Roll Band ???
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: August 8, 2017 00:27

Yes I do believe that the Stones are the Greatest Rock & Roll band in the World.
But for discussion sake...I will put Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon, Johnnie Johnson, Lafayette Leake, Ebby Hardy & Jasper Thomas right up there with them...Is time to give them Top Honors ???????

Re: Worlds Greatest Rock N' Roll Band ???
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 8, 2017 06:19

2120Wolf
Yes I do believe that the Stones are the Greatest Rock & Roll band in the World.
But for discussion sake...I will put Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon, Johnnie Johnson, Lafayette Leake, Ebby Hardy & Jasper Thomas right up there with them...Is time to give them Top Honors ???????

Dont forget Harmonica Frank

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 8, 2017 06:28

Joe Hill Louis was pretty damn good too ... and he got ta keep all the nights $$$$$$$$$$$takings ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 8, 2017 06:55

Rockman

Joe Hill Louis was pretty damn good too ... and he got ta keep all the nights $$$$$$$$$$$takings ...

thumbs upAnd he never hadta worry bout any slackers quitting the band!

KICK IT JHL!! Back Slide Boogie

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 8, 2017 09:12

I'll bet Chuck tried that...

....but it rather hampered the Duck Walk grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 8, 2017 09:22

2120Wolf

Is it too obvious to say that none of these, except the Stones, actually ARE bands?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 8, 2017 10:09

The Rolling Stones 1962-1982 is still the Worlds greatest rock n roll band. When Bill left they weren't a rock n roll band anymore. When Mick put on his comeback Vegas show in 1989 they weren't a rock n roll band anymore.

Oh really RHC? They beg to differ.
1989, bad version but Bill still in the band.
video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: August 8, 2017 10:16

Aquamarine
2120Wolf

Is it too obvious to say that none of these, except the Stones, actually ARE bands?

You beat me to it! grinning smiley

Date: August 8, 2017 10:17

Redhotcarpet
The Rolling Stones 1962-1982 is still the Worlds greatest rock n roll band. When Bill left they weren't a rock n roll band anymore. When Mick put on his comeback Vegas show in 1989 they weren't a rock n roll band anymore.

Oh really RHC? They beg to differ.
1989, bad version but Bill still in the band.
video: [www.youtube.com]

This Vegas act could have fooled me...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2017 17:08

DandelionPowderman
Aquamarine
2120Wolf

You beat me to it! grinning smiley

Those individuals make up, to some extent, the band that recorded many of Chuck Berry's Chess records... Although Johnnie and Lafayette most likely didn't play when the other was involved (same most likely true for Jasper and Ebby on drums) I'd say that we all owe that "band" of guys a huge debt.

World's Greatest Rock & Roll Band? I'd say the case could be made to give those guys the title, or at least a share of it. If it had been the same core guys on ALL of Chucks records, I'd give it to them hands down. Because not all of them played on all the records, I'd have a hard time saying it's an open and shut case.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 8, 2017 19:51

I'd say, imo, for sure and certain, at least for me, they definitely were the World's Greatest Rock and Roll band for a remarkably sustained, exiciting, moving period of quite some consecutive years...just amazing what they've done.
Post Bill, and even quite a bit before he (escaped haha) retired, I think it's fair to say, for whatever myriad of individual and group reasons, and maybe intentionally, they have moved from that position; I think they're very aware of it; some of it might have been particualrly concious...some not. I have tremendous respect and gratitude for what they've done. I still listen to them more than most any single other musical entity, all things considered...tho they have contemporaries that I think have made eqyually substantial contributions. Some of them have come so close to that level of complete intensity and natural thrust among them...none of them were the World's absolutely GREATEST rock and roll band, other than The Stones imo...i'm pretty picky too. It's deeper than I care to even understannd on an itellectual level; tho their writing has been deeply stimulating mentally as well as emotionally for me; during certain periods. If I go to their catalog for something; it is absolutely reliable; absolutely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home