Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Did the Stones ever play on stage under influence of LSD (safe Brian)?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 2, 2017 22:33

Please point at bootlegs...

Re: Did the Stones ever play on stage under influence of LSD (safe Brian)?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 2, 2017 23:02

"I dropped acid and I played great" sais Keef about the last show of 1973 AUS/OZ tour...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2017 23:11

Carlos knows what it's all about...

Carlos Santana at Woodstock

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 2, 2017 23:13

The Who played under the influence, also, at Woodstock I believe.I think they were dosed surreptitiously.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: August 3, 2017 05:12

Perth 73. I think Keith says in his book that mick, charlie and him dropped acid before the show. Explains the intro of gimme shelter

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 3, 2017 05:15

I read in Old Gods Almost Dead that they did for the Buffalo show in '75. (Except for Bill and Charlie). Apparently a lot of things in that book turned out not to be true though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-03 05:16 by ryanpow.

Date: August 3, 2017 10:01

I can't imagine Jagger dropping acid and then going on. For that matter I can not imagine performing music on acid.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2017 10:53

Some say Blondie played under the stage on influence....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 3, 2017 11:43

Rockman

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2017 14:21

Rockman

Who me? Nah, never...not true!

Posted by: AmpegVT22 ()
Date: August 3, 2017 15:30

Keith was busted with acid when he ran his car off the road after playing in Stoke ... what was it 1973? I thought then it seemed an odd choice (in '73) for an Opiates Fan but he said he just liked a lick to give things "a bit of sparkle".

So I think you can safely say Stoke On Trent was such a show.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 3, 2017 15:40

"a bit of sparkle" - I love it! What an apt description!

er...

I should imagine....eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 3, 2017 16:06

Rockman

Hilarious Rockieee ... post of the day

d.f

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 3, 2017 16:14

AmpegVT22
Keith was busted with acid when he ran his car off the road after playing in Stoke ... what was it 1973? I thought then it seemed an odd choice (in '73) for an Opiates Fan but he said he just liked a lick to give things "a bit of sparkle".

It was 1976.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 3, 2017 21:01

The Joker
Please point at bootlegs...

That would explain a lot about Keith's playing recently

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 3, 2017 21:52

Not the Stones, but at a show in January of 1970, I went to see Eric Burton and War, Alice Cooper, and Lee Michaels. Michaels seemed to be stoned at all of his shows (if you're unfamiliar with him, he played a Hammond B3 and had a LARGE drummer). His shows were incredible. On this particular night, he was obviously high, presumably on LSD. A few minutes into the first number, he suddenly seemed to not know what was going on or where he was and had a look of panic on his face. His drummer, Frosty, looked pissed at him and tried to keep things going but Michaels was pretty much lost. At the end of the number someone yelled out, "O.D.", to which Michaels responded with a "I know". It was really bad and sad at the same time. He tried to complete the show, but he was really messed up. (Of course, I was probably on LSD at the time, so I may have been hallucinating!!) But, it was all too real and my idea of psychedelics changed from that time on. Some musicians could handle being on psychedelics and performing, others could not.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 4, 2017 14:12

DaveG
Not the Stones, but at a show in January of 1970, I went to see Eric Burton and War, Alice Cooper, and Lee Michaels. Michaels seemed to be stoned at all of his shows (if you're unfamiliar with him, he played a Hammond B3 and had a LARGE drummer). His shows were incredible. On this particular night, he was obviously high, presumably on LSD. A few minutes into the first number, he suddenly seemed to not know what was going on or where he was and had a look of panic on his face. His drummer, Frosty, looked pissed at him and tried to keep things going but Michaels was pretty much lost. At the end of the number someone yelled out, "O.D.", to which Michaels responded with a "I know". It was really bad and sad at the same time. He tried to complete the show, but he was really messed up. (Of course, I was probably on LSD at the time, so I may have been hallucinating!!) But, it was all too real and my idea of psychedelics changed from that time on. Some musicians could handle being on psychedelics and performing, others could not.

Thanks Dave. Very peculiar and vivid memories.
I was quite entertained by your report, so I looked for any show in January 1970 with the same bill.
Here what I found.
You may like it. Amateur photos are priceless.

[www.theoriginalglenbuxton.com]

Date: August 4, 2017 15:15

dcba
"I dropped acid and I played great" sais Keef about the last show of 1973 AUS/OZ tour...

Perth. There were two more shows in Sydney after the «LSD-show» smiling smiley

Date: August 4, 2017 15:20

AmpegVT22

They only played London, Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle in England in 1973.

They played Stafford in 1976, though. 30 km from Stoke. Maybe that's the one? But I've never heard any acid stories from 1976..

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 4, 2017 15:32

at my first show in 1975 in Boston,I took a half hit of blotter,my date did the other half,good time.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: August 4, 2017 17:05

Detroit 75 2nd show (the SBD show) has very strange versions of some songs. I don't know why.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: August 4, 2017 20:16

Heard a rumor about the whole band dropping acid at the Cleveland show in 1978...listening to the bootleg, I can't argue

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: August 4, 2017 23:50

I remember reading that Keith had dropped before the Palm Beach Pop Festival in 69.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 23:51 by Kennedy.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 4, 2017 23:54

I'd be curious to learn more about their use of acid. Didn't Mick joke once that he didn't remember 1967.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 5, 2017 00:06

The Joker
DaveG

Thanks Dave. Very peculiar and vivid memories.
I was quite entertained by your report, so I looked for any show in January 1970 with the same bill.
Here what I found.
You may like it. Amateur photos are priceless.

[www.theoriginalglenbuxton.com]

Nice digging, Joker! Yes, that was the show, January 16, 1970. I also remember from that night Alice Cooper putting bed sheets over the heads of his band
members as they played. They looked like animated ghosts! I also remember being totally impressed with the harp playing of Lee Oskar of War (I also play the harp)
Eric Burdon sang "Nights in White Satin" in honor of the Moody Blues, who had been denied entrance into the US at that time for drug charges. At the end, he said "I know, that's shit".
I saw lots of great bands at the Rose Palace, just a few miles from my home: Ten Years After, Zeppelin, Santana, Procol Harum, Spirit, Steve Miller, Spencer Davis, and many more. Same with the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, also mentioned in the link you posted: Grateful Dead, Creedence, John Mayall, Three Dog Night, Country Joe, Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 00:08 by DaveG.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 5, 2017 00:41

Oops. I mean I would never take drugs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 04:48 by hopkins.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2017 01:21

I never took acid at any show I've ever attended, and only took it about five times in total back in the day.
Mushrooms on the other hand are a different story - I fried heavily at the second of two Pink Floyd's the Wall concerts in 1980, and had the time of my life.
Even during the first night where I only smoked some weed, the show was out of this world on it's own.;..airplanes flying, pigs floating, massive puppets dangling, wild animation, a giant wall collapsing, etc.
Add some mushrooms to the mix, and it was well over the top and an experience like no other. After about 15 times of shrooms over a five year period, I believe I was enlightened enough for the rest of my life, and haven't taken any hallucinogens of any kind in over 30 years. I'll have the occasional weed and the occasional beer or three here and there...and that's all the Doctor ordered.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: August 5, 2017 04:07

Take a look at one of the books.......

Word is that they dropped a dose in Buffalo 1981 .........

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1458
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home