Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Prodigal Son
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 2, 2017 01:28

Anyone ever heard "That's No Way to Get Along" by Robert Wilkins?

Maybe I'm late to the party here but I recently read that's what the Stones based Prodigal Son on, and man are the similarities strong!

That's No Way to Get Along

Re: Prodigal Son
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 2, 2017 01:39

Yep a tad late to da party

Robert Wilkins .. originally recorded it back in 1928 as That's No way to get along
Then rerecorded it as Prodigal Sun in the Sixties ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 2, 2017 04:46

Learn something new every day. Heard the song a million times, never knew the Stones didn't write it!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 2, 2017 15:45

Pretty sure he's credited as writer in the liner notes.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 2, 2017 15:48

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 2, 2017 18:05

kovach
[/url]

Yes, that is the orginal. Robert Wilkins also then did it as Prodigal Son (after the Stones made it famous, but yes, the No Way To Get Along is the original

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 2, 2017 18:44

Technically, Luke's estate should get credit for this song.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 2, 2017 21:15

LeonidP
kovach
[/url]

Yes, that is the orginal. Robert Wilkins also then did it as Prodigal Son (after the Stones made it famous, but yes, the No Way To Get Along is the original

According to several sources, he also re-recorded it as 'Prodigal Son' at the Newport Folk Festival in 1964.
Is it possible it was originally listed on these releases (below) as That's No Way To Get Along, and then later changed to Prodigal Son after the Stones "made it famous"?

Prodigal Son

"In 1964 Wilkins was "rediscovered" by blues revival enthusiasts Dick and Louisa Spottswood, making appearances at folk festivals and recording his gospel blues for a new audience. These include the 1964 Newport Folk Festival; his performance of "Prodigal Son" there was included on the Vanguard Records album Blues at Newport, Volume 2".

His best-known songs are "That's No Way to Get Along" and his reworked gospel version, "The Prodigal Son" (which was covered under that title by the Rolling Stones),"

Blues at Newport Recorded live at the Newport Folk Festival 1959-1964

__________________________________________________________________________________

Reverend Robert Wilkins
Prodigal Son- compilation

This 2014 compilation from Bear Family focuses on Robert Wilkin's 1964 LP Memphis Gospel Singer, which is the record that most likely introduced the Rolling Stones to "That's No Way to Get Along," a blues narrative the group recorded as "Prodigal Son" for their 1968 album Beggars Banquet. All of that record is here, as are four cuts from the Biograph record When I Lay My Burden Down -- the album also contained cuts from Furry Lewis and Mississippi Fred McDowell -- and the entire disc showcases a blues singer caught between extremes. Wilkins was a Delta bluesman who often sang spirituals, a common situation that nevertheless provided considerable tension, and here he's also caught between the past and the present, playing the old tunes for a modern world. Neither of these sessions are especially contemporary -- it's always just him and a guitar -- but the conventions of the '60s allow him to stretch out on his stories, taking the title track to nearly ten minutes and usually bringing his songs in somewhere between four or five minutes, a length that wouldn't comfortably fit on 78s. His slightly advanced age also gives these recordings a bit of a weary resonance; he's not a commanding a storyteller but rather an insinuating one, somebody that slowly pulls a listener into his web. "The Prodigal Son" -- which, in this incarnation, is quite clearly the inspiration for the Stones, right down to the alternate tuning -- is the centerpiece but it's all absorbing; Wilkins might not be a major stylist but he's a distinctive one, an emblem of a different time, when stories and spirituals were passed down generation to generation and there was never a consideration that this could possibly be the end of the line, which it very well may have been.

Robert Wilkin's 1964 LP Memphis Gospel Singer

Whatever the case, one of the Stones best covers - studio and live.
The live MSG '69 video of actual performance (available on YaYa's 40th anniversary deluxe box set) used to be on youtube, but no more as far as I can see.
But here's the audio:

Prodigal Son live

Date: August 3, 2017 01:18

wonderboy

Who's Luke?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2017 01:26

[iorr.org]

Bear Family Wilkins release ......

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2017 02:28

DandelionPowderman
wonderboy

Who's Luke?

The parable of the Prodigal Son comes from the Gospel of Luke.

Date: August 3, 2017 10:16

wonderboy
DandelionPowderman
wonderboy

Who's Luke?

Thanks. That's exactly where my knowledge is close to non-existent...

Date: August 3, 2017 16:06

Thanks all, I got a free copy of a CD "Peabody Blues" when I spent a weekend at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis this summer which contained a bunch of songs recorded at the hotel almost a century ago, and this song was on it, which of course immediately caught my attention!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 3, 2017 16:58

kovach
a bunch of songs recorded at the hotel almost a century ago, and this song was on it

...Now that 's what I call "a gem "!!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 3, 2017 16:59

DandelionPowderman
wonderboy
DandelionPowderman
wonderboy

Who's Luke?

Thanks. That's exactly where my knowledge is close to non-existent...

No worries though... Luke's version was already part of the public domain by the 1900's. Also, there's a healthy debate that Luke the Evangelist wasn't actually the writer of that particular gospel and that it was still being revised well into the 2nd century. Although I'm not a copyright attorney, I'd say the Stones & others are well within their rights to not list him as a co writer and his estate wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if they were to try to claim royalties.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 3, 2017 17:00

RoughJusticeOnYa
kovach
a bunch of songs recorded at the hotel almost a century ago, and this song was on it

No doubt!! I'd much rather have a historical CD or DVD than a free continental breakfast any day!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 3, 2017 18:04

what a great track. Classic wonderful Rolling Stones. All hail.

Date: August 3, 2017 19:25

mr_dja

No worries though... Luke's version was already part of the public domain by the 1900's. Also, there's a healthy debate that Luke the Evangelist wasn't actually the writer of that particular gospel and that it was still being revised well into the 2nd century. Although I'm not a copyright attorney, I'd say the Stones & others are well within their rights to not list him as a co writer and his estate wouldn't have much of a leg to stand on if they were to try to claim royalties.

smiling smiley

Date: August 3, 2017 21:37

mr_dja
RoughJusticeOnYa
kovach

No doubt!! I'd much rather have a historical CD or DVD than a free continental breakfast any day!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Got free parking, a waiving of their 'resort fee', and 15% off BBQ at the Rendezvous too! All for $219 + tax (which is a bargain for that place).

Part of their summer rate "Blues & BBQ" Promotion if anyone's interested!

Date: August 3, 2017 22:49

kovach
mr_dja
RoughJusticeOnYa
kovach

Peace,
Mr DJA

Got free parking, a waiving of their 'resort fee', and 15% off BBQ at the Rendezvous too! All for $219 + tax (which is a bargain for that place).

Sweet... That is a good price for the Peabody... Maybe I'll have to see about a weekend road trip with my wife... We've never stayed at the Peabody although Memphis is where I took her to see her 1st Stones show (2007)... Now how to convince her to drive across the state west to Memphis instead of over the mountains east to Biltmore which has been near the top of our list of local places to get to for a number of years!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 3, 2017 23:06

mr_dja
kovach
mr_dja
RoughJusticeOnYa
kovach

Peace,
Mr DJA

Sweet... That is a good price for the Peabody... Maybe I'll have to see about a weekend road trip with my wife... We've never stayed at the Peabody although Memphis is where I took her to see her 1st Stones show (2007)... Now how to convince her to drive across the state west to Memphis instead of over the mountains east to Biltmore which has been near the top of our list of local places to get to for a number of years!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Biltmore..! mr_dja, let me know if yall go, my wife and I can drive over, 2 hr drive!
Great spots in Asheville , music, restaurants, breweries.. love it. Biltmore is beautiful.
smileys with beer

Date: August 4, 2017 00:36

duke richardson

Biltmore..! mr_dja, let me know if yall go, my wife and I can drive over, 2 hr drive!
Great spots in Asheville , music, restaurants, breweries.. love it. Biltmore is beautiful.
smileys with beer

Will Do! As many times as I've gone over to Asheville for shows at the Orange Peal (and even a free Wolfman Washington show in the public square) I've never actually made it to Biltmore! All good things in time I guess! Hopefully soon!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 4, 2017 05:52

mr_dja
kovach
mr_dja
RoughJusticeOnYa
kovach

Peace,
Mr DJA

Peace,
Mr DJA

Need to check out the musical themed Madison Hotel as well sometime. I dare say I like it better than the Peabody though a slightly farther walk to Beale St. They run some good specials as well.

Date: August 4, 2017 16:02

kovach

Need to check out the musical themed Madison Hotel as well sometime. I dare say I like it better than the Peabody though a slightly farther walk to Beale St. They run some good specials as well.

Hey thanks for the insight! I'm hoping to, some time (sooner than later hopefully) get over there for the Memphis in May festival. Although I figured I'd bounce around to different events, I didn't ever consider the possibility of "hopping around hotels". Thant could actually be kind of fun as well. Not only to have different events each day, but also different residences each night. I think I just got an idea!

Thanks again for the hotel advice... Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to use it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: August 4, 2017 21:30

To change the subject SLIGHTLY, let me ask the experts here.
I've learned "Prodigal Son" in open-E like on the record and can play it reasonably well, but parts of it sound empty, nowhere near as full as the guitar on the record. I don't to this day know for sure how many guitars are on the record. Is there just one guitar compressed as hell so it sounds just as full when picking individual strings as it does on the strummed parts? Or is there another guitar doubling everything and making it all seem fuller? I swear after listening to this track for 35 years or more, I still can't tell for sure to this day whether there are one or two guitars on there. Anybody know? Mathijs? Anybody?

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: August 8, 2017 10:22

The CNIB 1979 Version is the weakest one because Mick Jagger was hoarse. But there are a lot of great Versions from the 1969 and 1970 tours.

Can you imagine Mick & Keith performing this song nowadays at a big venue? Only voice and guitar? Only two people on stage, with Keith sitting on a chair? Back in 1969 and 1970 this was possible!

Date: August 8, 2017 10:28

From4tilLate
To change the subject SLIGHTLY, let me ask the experts here.
I've learned "Prodigal Son" in open-E like on the record and can play it reasonably well, but parts of it sound empty, nowhere near as full as the guitar on the record. I don't to this day know for sure how many guitars are on the record. Is there just one guitar compressed as hell so it sounds just as full when picking individual strings as it does on the strummed parts? Or is there another guitar doubling everything and making it all seem fuller? I swear after listening to this track for 35 years or more, I still can't tell for sure to this day whether there are one or two guitars on there. Anybody know? Mathijs? Anybody?

Definitely sounds like one guitar only from Keith, where he is VERY active with his right hand – hence sometimes it sounds fuller when playing several strings at the same time – other times more «thin» (but you can still hear his right hand working, dampening the strings)

It all comes down to the strength he puts into the strumming, imo.

Date: August 8, 2017 16:33

mr_dja
kovach

Hey thanks for the insight! I'm hoping to, some time (sooner than later hopefully) get over there for the Memphis in May festival. Although I figured I'd bounce around to different events, I didn't ever consider the possibility of "hopping around hotels". Thant could actually be kind of fun as well. Not only to have different events each day, but also different residences each night. I think I just got an idea!

Thanks again for the hotel advice... Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to use it!

Peace,
Mr DJA

No problem, enjoy.

The only problem with the Madison though is all rooms are for 2 people only, so not great for families or groups.

Another you should try is the Talbot Heirs Guesthouse. Great location, super nice people that run it.

If you're thinking about going to Memphis in May you better get a hotel before year-end, they fill up quickly. And you won't get in Talbot Heirs then, the same group rents out the entire place every year!

Date: August 16, 2017 23:27

kovach
mr_dja
kovach

Peace,
Mr DJA

No problem, enjoy.

The only problem with the Madison though is all rooms are for 2 people only, so not great for families or groups.

Another you should try is the Talbot Heirs Guesthouse. Great location, super nice people that run it.

If you're thinking about going to Memphis in May you better get a hotel before year-end, they fill up quickly. And you won't get in Talbot Heirs then, the same group rents out the entire place every year!

I stand corrected on The Madison, they do have rooms with 2 double beds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2039
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home