Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Looking for examples of Keith ripping it up onstage in the post-'89 landscape
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 4, 2017 20:00

Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
Man, that AC '89 version of Bitch is out of sight! That is definitely peak Keith.

Does Jagger keep the same note through the entire song? LOL
Yes, there is Keith with that white Musicman guitar. I forgot that he and Ron played those in 89 too. For some reason that guitar brought out the best in him.

I like the point that Stones4ever raises, if Keith admits the reality of affairs to himself. That he has become less and less integral on stage.
Besides the obvious sibling rivalry with Jagger there is another brother he spars with: Ronnie. Seems like Ronnie doesn't dish it back. Yet, Ronnie grows stronger and stronger. His playing came back with a vengeance, he stopped drinking. He has a very successful life outside of the Stones; art shows and sales, radio show, new wife and twins.
Those Musicmans are cool guitars...Keith definitely seems to play like a demon when he's got one of those strapped on him. Did they ever use them onstage post '89-'90?

I think Keith has been a real bully to Ronnie at points over the years. He's probably taken more abuse than we know.

Re: Looking for examples of Keith ripping it up onstage in the post-'89 landscape
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: August 4, 2017 20:17

Happy from At The Max. Pure heaven when he takes off in his own little world there. Thankfully takes us along for the ride.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 4, 2017 21:55

great thread for the clips alone
MORE!!!!

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: August 4, 2017 23:02

999 was awesome Dande, that song came to life live.
This is a great one from Expo 92'
Going Down

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 23:04 by stone4ever.

Date: August 4, 2017 23:04

tumblingdice
Happy from At The Max. Pure heaven when he takes off in his own little world there. Thankfully takes us along for the ride.
It's great, but the sound mix is SO weird. When Keith starts playing his solo part towards the end, it sounds like he's all alone onstage. His guitar drowns out everything else, including the drums.

Maybe it was a really bad overdub or it was one of the performances they filmed on an empty stage, but something doesn't feel right about that part of the song...aside from that, it's some kick-ass playing by Keith, with that cool half-solo/half-riffing vibe that only he can do.

Date: August 4, 2017 23:05

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever
Another peak, 1990, Happy, he rips it to shreds at the end.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

I forgot to include the 999-clip in my post. It's included now smiling smiley
I *LOVE* 999...that is a great performance...better than the album. Really comes alive onstage.

I wish they'd released an official live album of the '93 Winos tour.

Date: August 4, 2017 23:17

Keith and Clapton ripping it up. Sweet Little Rock And Roller. Watch em at 2.30
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 23:18 by stone4ever.

Date: August 4, 2017 23:26

Ok its not post 89' but i couldn't resist it

Keith and Jerry Lee, now this is tearing it up.
[www.youtube.com]

Wow Whole Lotta Shakin
I thought we would see fireworks with these two together and this doesn't disappoint.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-04 23:35 by stone4ever.

Date: August 5, 2017 00:02

Nearness Of You . Nice heartfelt solo at 3.12

[www.youtube.com]

Slipping Away. another heartfelt solo at at 4.50

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 00:08 by stone4ever.

Date: August 5, 2017 00:18

Ok last one from me
Keith and Ronnie going at it again
Before They Make Me Run 03'

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 5, 2017 15:39

fond memories of Licks....the 3 formats I think challenged them...the breadth of set lists...all good for the band and fans alike.

Date: August 5, 2017 15:59

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
keefriff99
Man, that AC '89 version of Bitch is out of sight! That is definitely peak Keith.

Does Jagger keep the same note through the entire song? LOL
Yes, there is Keith with that white Musicman guitar. I forgot that he and Ron played those in 89 too. For some reason that guitar brought out the best in him.

I like the point that Stones4ever raises, if Keith admits the reality of affairs to himself. That he has become less and less integral on stage.
Besides the obvious sibling rivalry with Jagger there is another brother he spars with: Ronnie. Seems like Ronnie doesn't dish it back. Yet, Ronnie grows stronger and stronger. His playing came back with a vengeance, he stopped drinking. He has a very successful life outside of the Stones; art shows and sales, radio show, new wife and twins.
Those Musicmans are cool guitars...Keith definitely seems to play like a demon when he's got one of those strapped on him. Did they ever use them onstage post '89-'90?

I think Keith has been a real bully to Ronnie at points over the years. He's probably taken more abuse than we know.
Yeah, poor Ronnie haha.. I had the word 'bully' in my post too, and took it out. But you're right Keef. And that's just the stories that we heard about.
Maybe Keith got insecure when he saw Ron do anything independent from him and the Stones. Plus, Keith most likely unleashed all his pent up fury against Jagger on Ronnie. Moe slaps Larry, so he turns and slaps Curly.

Date: August 5, 2017 16:10

Watch the LARS live video. It tells a lot about their relationship, I think grinning smiley

Date: August 5, 2017 21:08

stone4ever
Ok last one from me
Keith and Ronnie going at it again
Before They Make Me Run 03'

[www.youtube.com]
Another great one!

Keith is COKED TO THE GILLS here. You can see it in all his fidgety energy, ha.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: August 5, 2017 23:01

Looks like Keith had no choice but to kick it up a notch there; emergency use only, you see. Just to stop the bleeding.

Quite an interesting set of reviews on that show. For some it was perfect as always (and that is a whole 'nother topic right there), and for others it looked like they (especially Ronnie) started out pretty shaky and Keith carried him, and it wasn't until Keith's set that they really started cooking. I think parts of this show were on the DVD set Four Flicks right? I'll have to watch closely.
Paris Olympia 2003 Reviews on IORR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 23:05 by Sipuncula.

Date: August 5, 2017 23:14

Also I'd like to see something from post-April 2006 as I can't think of any specific examples offhand.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 23:19

SFM Kansas City 2015 and Satisfaction Sao Paulo II 2016 (fantastic, aggressive solo)

Date: August 5, 2017 23:38

Sipuncula
Looks like Keith had no choice but to kick it up a notch there; emergency use only, you see. Just to stop the bleeding.

Quite an interesting set of reviews on that show. For some it was perfect as always (and that is a whole 'nother topic right there), and for others it looked like they (especially Ronnie) started out pretty shaky and Keith carried him, and it wasn't until Keith's set that they really started cooking. I think parts of this show were on the DVD set Four Flicks right? I'll have to watch closely.
Paris Olympia 2003 Reviews on IORR
Very interesting...I just read Mathijs' review, and was surprised to see him so superlative towards this show given how almost every post on IORR is negative towards post-'81-'82 Stones, ha.

I saw five Licks shows:

Opening night in Boston 2002
Giants Stadium 2002
Hartford 2002
Boston Jan. 2003
MSG Jan. 2003 (the HBO live broadcast)

and all of them were great. Ronnie was still focused and sober through the HBO show, so I never witnessed him being out of it on that tour.

I went back to the review pages and I'm pleased to see that my reviews for both Boston shows are still posted...so funny to go back and read my words after 15 years.

Date: August 6, 2017 00:01

keefriff99
I saw five Licks shows:

Opening night in Boston 2002
Giants Stadium 2002
Hartford 2002
Boston Jan. 2003
MSG Jan. 2003 (the HBO live broadcast)

I saw two shows that tour and both were marred by venue problems which dissociated my experience (bad sound at one and huge cavernous venue at another--I was quite surprised to notice Johnnie Johnson on piano at one point on the jumbotron, for example), although by all accounts the band was very good.

MonkeyMan2000
SFM Kansas City 2015 and Satisfaction Sao Paulo II 2016 (fantastic, aggressive solo)

Thanks, I'll check those out if I can find them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 00:11 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: August 6, 2017 02:08

MonkeyMan2000

Thanks, I'll check those out if I can find them.[/quote]

"Fantastic" was meant compared to other solos of Keith in 2016 and not compared to any truly amazing solos thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 6, 2017 17:16

Love him on Happy Rio 2006.
Past period.
His playing today just makes me sad.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 6, 2017 22:54

powerage78
Past period.
I'm with you on that.

I know a lot of people here try their hardest to highlight clips where he plays decently, but I just don't hear it anymore. His rhythm playing is still capable, but his leads are uniformly painful. It's sad but it's never going to get any better.

Date: August 7, 2017 12:09

keefriff99
powerage78
Past period.
I'm with you on that.

I know a lot of people here try their hardest to highlight clips where he plays decently, but I just don't hear it anymore. His rhythm playing is still capable, but his leads are uniformly painful. It's sad but it's never going to get any better.

If we look past the «showboat»-numbers (Satisfaction and SFTD), there are still some good stuff – also apart from the Berry-ish solos, imo.

I thought this one was cool after Beck's wank-fest in London smiling smiley round 4:40

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2017 14:06

It's 2012...

Date: August 7, 2017 14:22

Hopefully a Keith thread is a safe haven.
This clip is a nice combination of show boating and sublime playing from Keith. I mean the man can play like that while running at the same time, who does that.
There was really only one man on the stage when keith could play like this.
Well into the tour, some of these Tokyo shows were the best in my lifetime from the Stones. The decline in Keith on SFTD almost brings tears to the eyes, its so easy to forget that he was this unstoppable force of nature before arthritis. At least we have all this footage of the great man, no one can ever take that away from him.
Solo starts at 2.30
[www.youtube.com]

PS. Dande you made my day when you referred to Becks playing as a wa<k fest
lol.
Keith showing once again that less is more.smoking smiley

Date: August 7, 2017 14:28

powerage78
It's 2012...

Eons ago?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 7, 2017 15:58

stone4ever
This is a great one from Expo 92'
Going Down

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Date: August 7, 2017 16:20

In a way yes... regarding his playing in 2016 sad smiley

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
It's 2012...

Eons ago?

Date: August 7, 2017 16:40

powerage78
In a way yes... regarding his playing in 2016 sad smiley

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
It's 2012...

Eons ago?

Is this acceptable for you?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 7, 2017 19:52

keefriff99
tumblingdice
It's great, but the sound mix is SO weird. When Keith starts playing his solo part towards the end, it sounds like he's all alone onstage. His guitar drowns out everything else, including the drums.

Maybe it was a really bad overdub or it was one of the performances they filmed on an empty stage, but something doesn't feel right about that part of the song...aside from that, it's some kick-ass playing by Keith, with that cool half-solo/half-riffing vibe that only he can do.

Its neither a bad overdub or an empty stage, they had recording problems while making Live At the Max. For those that say that amazing playing on Sympathy at the MAX was an overdub, samples have been shown from different nights on this very thread (if you care to watch) where Keith sounds better on SFTD than on any so called overdub. Proof is in the pudding, Keith really was that good on that tour night after night, especially in 1990. Just saying, its not a personal insult towards you and the rest of iorr, just showing people facts, on this particular tour Keith was at the peak of his powers. He even managed to become a convincing solo guitarist as well as rhythm, he had to , Ronnie was too Stoned most of the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 20:13 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home