Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Looking for examples of Keith ripping it up onstage in the post-'89 landscape
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 30, 2017 22:19

Share your favourite clips of Keith riffing up, slashisng the rhythm and pulling the weave tight, from 1989 onwards.

I'm looking forward to it!

drinking smileysmoking smiley

Re: Looking for examples of Keith ripping it up onstage in the post-'89 landscape
Date: July 30, 2017 22:49

Slashing the rhythm OR weaving?

Slashing the rhythm: Street Fighting Man or Rip This Joint on Stripped

Weaving: Beast Of Burden, Miami 1994 or Midnight Rambler, Atlantic city 1989 (the instrumental section in the middle of the song)

Lead guitar: Bitch, Atlantic city 1989

Re: Looking for examples of Keith ripping it up onstage in the post-'89 landscape
Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 31, 2017 00:04

His solo on Sympathy for the Devil from 'At the Max' (Wembley 1990) is one of the best and longest I've heard.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 02:06

mosthigh
His solo on Sympathy for the Devil from 'At the Max' (Wembley 1990) is one of the best and longest I've heard.
That was what came to my mind as well. When I first got into the Stones, I couldn't figure out why Keith didn't play like this more often.

Date: July 31, 2017 02:14

keefriff99
mosthigh
That was what came to my mind as well. When I first got into the Stones, I couldn't figure out why Keith didn't play like this more often.

He don't really enjoy it, according to himself.

Date: July 31, 2017 03:15

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

Oh I know that now...just at the time I wondered. I was naive about music...I figured if someone could play lead guitar like that, they'd want to do it constantly.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:30

"Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find."

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:40

Rocky Dijon
"Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you find."

Classic

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: July 31, 2017 03:43

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

Oh I know that now...just at the time I wondered. I was naive about music...I figured if someone could play lead guitar like that, they'd want to do it constantly.

Quite a bit of that "At the Max" was recorded in front of an empty stadium. Hope Keef's solo wasn't a visual and audio overdub.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 03:45 by Mr. Jimi.

Date: July 31, 2017 06:28

Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

Quite a bit of that "At the Max" was recorded in front of an empty stadium. Hope Keef's solo wasn't a visual and audio overdub.
The footage for his solo was shot from a bizarre angle, almost like it was shot from backstage, and the audience is visible if I'm not mistaken.

However, so much of Live at the Max is overdubbed and sterile that I don't enjoy watching it at all.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 31, 2017 18:34

peoplewitheyes
Share your favourite clips of Keith riffing up, slashisng the rhythm and pulling the weave tight, from 1989 onwards.

My mind always goes back to this one at MSG
Keith low in the mix here but not from the MSG front row.
keith making even Mick look slow here.
Enjoy.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 31, 2017 18:38

stone4ever
peoplewitheyes

Enjoy.
[www.youtube.com]
Video is blocked for me. Is that the show that was broadcast on HBO?

I was there. I remember how Keith cut Mick off mid-sentence while he was working the crowd...what a moment.

Date: July 31, 2017 18:44

keefriff99
stone4ever
peoplewitheyes

Enjoy.
[www.youtube.com]
Video is blocked for me. Is that the show that was broadcast on HBO?

I was there. I remember how Keith cut Mick off mid-sentence while he was working the crowd...what a moment.

Yes that's the one, keith was on fire that night, i miss this keith, we all have to get old i guess.
I envy that you were there, my brothers were front row but i was sick and didn't make it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 18:46 by stone4ever.

Date: July 31, 2017 18:55

Now for Something Else
Live 93' Boston
Its Saturday night and we're here to rock.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 19:03 by stone4ever.

Date: July 31, 2017 19:09

keefriff99
Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

The footage for his solo was shot from a bizarre angle, almost like it was shot from backstage, and the audience is visible if I'm not mistaken.

However, so much of Live at the Max is overdubbed and sterile that I don't enjoy watching it at all.

They had problems with the sound recording this and keith hits a few bum notes but nothing can take away the fact that this was keith at the peak of his powers.
BTW keith played SFTD consistently this way on this leg of the tour. There is a better version on another night but i cant find it right now

Go to 51 minutes on for his solo on SFTD
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 19:11 by stone4ever.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 31, 2017 20:29

stone4ever
Now for Something Else
Live 93' Boston
[www.youtube.com]

Had a smile on my face before I even clicked the link... Your hint gave it away (to me at least)! There are a couple of other versions of KR/Winos doing this song that I rank in my favorite Keith musical moments (including Stones). Something about the song itself must touch Keith. Personally, I'd LOVE it if he could convince himself and the rest of the Stones that this one would work on a Stones stage in place of either Happy or Before They Make Me Run. Detractors aside, no bathroom break THAT night for the tourists!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 31, 2017 20:50

mr_dja
stone4ever
Now for Something Else
Live 93' Boston
[www.youtube.com]

Had a smile on my face before I even clicked the link... Your hint gave it away (to me at least)! There are a couple of other versions of KR/Winos doing this song that I rank in my favorite Keith musical moments (including Stones). Something about the song itself must touch Keith. Personally, I'd LOVE it if he could convince himself and the rest of the Stones that this one would work on a Stones stage in place of either Happy or Before They Make Me Run. Detractors aside, no bathroom break THAT night for the tourists!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yes he puts a smile on my face too smiling smiley. I just love the way he attacks his guitar at the end of this one.
Its better Riffing on 'Will But You Wont' and 'Whip it Up' but i just love the cool way Keith hits the Stage and confidently cajoles you, he is the essence of Rock and Roll, this whole gig and the Hollywood Palladium gig in 88' was a masterclass in Riffing. Nobody does it better.

Will But You Won't
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 21:12 by stone4ever.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 31, 2017 21:28

Satisfaction, St Louis 1997.
Can't Turn You Loose, Four Flicks 2003.
Connection, Totally Stripped, 1995.
Beast Of Burden, see above.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 1, 2017 01:13

San Diego 98, Out Of Control: listen to the riffing from minute 4ยด57...

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 1, 2017 11:26

Twickenham 2003, Street Fighting Man b-stage, on that official DVD.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: August 1, 2017 12:11

stone4ever
keefriff99
Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

They had problems with the sound recording this and keith hits a few bum notes but nothing can take away the fact that this was keith at the peak of his powers.
BTW keith played SFTD consistently this way on this leg of the tour. There is a better version on another night but i cant find it right now

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe you mean this one, I consider it as one of Keith's best solos he ever did
[www.youtube.com]

The legendary Atlantic City show '89 winking smiley

Date: August 1, 2017 12:36

Stonesfan2146
stone4ever
keefriff99
Mr. Jimi
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
mosthigh

[www.youtube.com]

Maybe you mean this one, I consider it as one of Keith's best solos he ever did
[www.youtube.com]

The legendary Atlantic City show '89 winking smiley

Thanks man that is the one, i couldn't remember Cheers Stonesfan smileys with beer

OMG that just blew me away,that just made me so high, Keith is just beyond anything i can describe here, the coolest cat in the world. I mean he plays rhythm leads like that, who else does that. Why did he have to get arthritis, god knows what he might have achieved, he was just getting better and better at this stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 12:45 by stone4ever.

Date: August 1, 2017 12:46

In the post 89 era. I have to say that BY FAR!! his best guitar work is with the Winos; both tours.
He became confident, assured, more relaxed as A bandleader and singer. The way "Time is on My Side" was arranged was beautiful. On guitar it just got better and better. His partnership with Waddy brought many excellent results. Closer to his Taylor partnership. But Waddy can also twang with the best of'em.
The arrangements lent themselves to very good guitar passages. I can't remember if it was the first or second Wino tour but I saw Keith do a "solo" on 'Struggle', which was every bit as good as his "bye Bye Johnny" or "Carol" from '72 and '69. I put "solo" in quotations because it isn't a solo in conventional sense but a rhythmic chopping of double stops and bends and slides. His performance was jaw dropping.

Date: August 1, 2017 13:23

Palace Revolution 2000
In the post 89 era. I have to say that BY FAR!! his best guitar work is with the Winos; both tours.
He became confident, assured, more relaxed as A bandleader and singer. The way "Time is on My Side" was arranged was beautiful. On guitar it just got better and better. His partnership with Waddy brought many excellent results. Closer to his Taylor partnership. But Waddy can also twang with the best of'em.
The arrangements lent themselves to very good guitar passages. I can't remember if it was the first or second Wino tour but I saw Keith do a "solo" on 'Struggle', which was every bit as good as his "bye Bye Johnny" or "Carol" from '72 and '69. I put "solo" in quotations because it isn't a solo in conventional sense but a rhythmic chopping of double stops and bends and slides. His performance was jaw dropping.

Absolutely agree with you, the decline happened shortly after the last Wino's tour in 93', he wasn't the same player in 94' 95' i'm convinced it was a combination of the drink catching up with him combined with those Heberden's nodes on his fingers. The second decline happened in 06' after the brain bleed and subsequent cranial surgery, after which he could no longer take cocaine to sharpen his playing while drinking. Basically it all caught up with him but he soldiers on like a real trouper. I still think he pulls it off for the best part of most shows these days, he appears sober most nights, he was in fine form at the second Desert gig and the last show they played in Vegas. He still has something to offer, he needs more shows though, 15 date tours just aren't long enough for him to get his chops together fluently. Come on Keith get the Wino's out for one last Hurrah , the old lion roars again smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 14:36 by stone4ever.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 1, 2017 14:29

The Double Door gig in Chicago, 1997 shows the Stones and Keith in fine shape. Keith is on fire during Jumping Jack Flash starting at 1;00;00 up to the end of the song. Keith was still very strong and totally enthousiastic. A great thrill to watch!
Rockandroll,
Mops
[youtu.be]

Date: August 1, 2017 16:13

stone4ever
Palace Revolution 2000

Absolutely agree with you, the decline happened shortly after the last Wino's tour in 93', he wasn't the same player in 94' 95' i'm convinced it was a combination of the drink catching up with him combined with those Heberden's nodes on his fingers. The second decline happened in 06' after the brain bleed and subsequent cranial surgery, after which he could no longer take cocaine to sharpen his playing while drinking. Basically it all caught up with him but he soldiers on like a real trouper. I still think he pulls it off for the best part of most shows these days, he appears sober most nights, he was in fine form at the second Desert gig and the last show they played in Vegas. He still has something to offer, he needs more shows though, 15 date tours just aren't long enough for him to get his chops together fluently. Come on Keith get the Wino's out for one last Hurrah , the old lion roars again smoking smiley
It's crazy to think that his best playing post '89 (or really any time after he kicked H) was fueled by cocaine, but it's pretty much true. I doubt he ever hit the stage without doing a few lines right beforehand.

Date: August 1, 2017 22:36

keefriff99
stone4ever
Palace Revolution 2000

It's crazy to think that his best playing post '89 (or really any time after he kicked H) was fueled by cocaine, but it's pretty much true. I doubt he ever hit the stage without doing a few lines right beforehand.

Those very first shows after his head/brain injury were a heartbreaker. The coolest dude on the planet had been brought to his knees. On the other hand - just the fact that he got up there and went on made him grander than ever. But it took time's passage to put all that into context. At the actual time it was hard to watch. I recall those first few clips with Elvis Costello, and another with John Lee Hooker (?). Keith has never quite recovered.
I don't think a 3rd Wino tour would change that. all one has to do is listen to Crosseyed Heart. Age caught up with him almost overnight.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 2, 2017 01:10

Happy from Atlantic City 89 is purdee guud!

Happy 89

Date: August 2, 2017 01:15

stone4ever
Palace Revolution 2000

I think the decline happened before the second Winos-tour.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 2, 2017 02:17

Some great stuff there - just enjoying Happy at Atlantic City '89 right now.

Thanks!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1141
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home