Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary edition coming in September
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2017 16:21

Irix
The Japanese 2-hybrid-SACD-only-Edition is also available (22-Sept-2017, EUR 77.99) at [www.jpc.de] .

Worldwide Shipping costs: [www.jpc.de] .

what's the advantage in buying this, vs. the full package with the vinyls and SACDs? it isn't price!

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary edition coming in September
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 9, 2017 16:35

treaclefingers

what's the advantage in buying this, vs. the full package with the vinyls and SACDs? it isn't price!

The advantage is probably for those who don't have a Turntable (no Vinyls) anymore but are interested in the Mono- and Stereo-version each on SACD+CD (hybrid on 2 Layers) ....

2-Hybrid-SACD/CD only: Universal Music Japan UIGY-9707 .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-09 16:55 by Irix.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: August 9, 2017 17:39

Irix
treaclefingers

The advantage is probably for those who don't have a Turntable (no Vinyls) anymore but are interested in the Mono- and Stereo-version each on SACD+CD (hybrid on 2 Layers) ....

But unfortunately the price for Japanese 2 SACD-hybrid set is compatible with regular EU box 2LP+2SACD-hybrid.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 9, 2017 17:39

Sorry if mentioned already, but will this at least have the 3D cover art?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 9, 2017 17:46

LeonidP

Yes: "Special Edition foldout packaging includes restored original Lenticular, not available for over 30 years."

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 9, 2017 17:47

Cristiano Radtke
LeonidP

Yes: "Special Edition foldout packaging includes restored original Lenticular, not available for over 30 years."
smileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: August 9, 2017 20:06

I see no reason to buy this edition since I have a US 1st pressing stereo Lp that is in remarkably good condition considering I bought it in late 1967 and it went through through plenty of hands over the years on it's way to a turntable. I also have the SACD which sounds just fine to my ears. Of course the mono copy would be nice to have.....

Nope, won't do it.

I think it is a funny thing with records that many of us ended up with really good pressing of albums that we didn't know anything about when we bought them. We would just walk/bike/drive over to the record store and buy the damn records when we knew the new Stones album was going to be released. That information was gleaned from the radio stations. Mono copies were cheaper than stereo which of course was marketed as a "better"sound. Of course the 60's mono lps were diamonds in the rough from a fidelity standpoint. No one ever said "hey kid, buy the mono, it sounds much better." I was 14 when TSMR was released. Who knew?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 11, 2017 06:05

Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary Edition is a collectors' item.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 11, 2017 11:24

exilestones
Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary Edition is a collectors' item.

No-one will want to buy this off any of us in future. Waste of money just to say "I have it". It's a terrible release. A 50th Aftermath though? THAT would have been great.

Rod

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2017 22:27

Monsoon Ragoon

The embryonic versions of COTM are 1967 outtakes, not early 1968.

Nope, they are from spring 1968.

Date: August 14, 2017 17:19

Irix
treaclefingers

Well that's true, but all I was getting at is they were virtually the same price, at least when I first posted this comment. So basically you get the 2 vinyl versions for free with the complete package.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: August 15, 2017 17:07

exilestones

Collectors would be my first guess as the target audience, everyday fans wont be seeking out multiple copies of the same album. However, If it wasn't for the release of the mono box just recently I'd have imagined the mono mix would have made a decent selling point.

I would have been all over this if they had cut the lp's all analogue from the original masters to the standard of the Beatles Mono box, or if they had simply included some outakes.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2017 17:41

Palace Revolution 2000
Artwork cover and Mono Mix, which we have already been sold once before.
So we have set the record straight on the legal ramifications. And I say again: this could be such a great package. I think it would validate an odd segment of the Stones' history. A period that has many detractors. In no small part the band itself.
Some, not too many, strong outtakes, and some sequencing. To us here this is a no brainer, but to a large audience it could be a discovery of an album that should have been the introduction to 'the Big 4. The bridge between Aftermath and Banquet. It would show Brian's non guitar years in a better light.
In addition to album tracks these would be possibilities IMO

We Love You - outtakes
Sad Day
Dandelion - early 'Keith' version
Get Yourself Together
Mother Baby
Who's Driving Your Plane
Ruby Tuesday - outtake
Sittin on a Fence
If You Let Me
Gold Painted Nails
Child of the Moon - chronologically it belongs to the following era, but sonically it is still part of this time

Including music not recorded at the sessions for the album would just confuse things further.

This 50th is disappointing, the same album x 4.

All it required was a disc featuring the best takes from the bootleg box sets and some supportive text giving the listener some points of reference about what ties the music before, during and after the recording of this album together.

Date: August 17, 2017 07:50

ChrisMahavishnu
exilestones

Collectors would be my first guess as the target audience, everyday fans wont be seeking out multiple copies of the same album. However, If it wasn't for the release of the mono box just recently I'd have imagined the mono mix would have made a decent selling point.

I would have been all over this if they had cut the lp's all analogue from the original masters to the standard of the Beatles Mono box, or if they had simply included some outakes.

yeah, a bit mystifying that they didn't add any 'extras', given the mono 'selling' feature had just been addressed with the mono boxes cd/lp, which I did get. Is the only selling feature then the lenticular cover? Whatever, I'm the sap that bought it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 22, 2017 20:21

Exclusive Preview: The Rolling Stones’ 50th Anniversary Edition of ‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’

Jem Aswad
Senior Music Editor

On Sept. 22, Abkco will release a lavish 50th anniversary boxed set of “Their Satanic Majesties Request,” an album that some, including members of the Rolling Stones, feel is the band’s worst.

Lambasted as a “Sgt. Pepper” knock-off at the time of its release in December 1967, the album has always been an outlier in the Stones’ catalog: The group was trying to align itself with the exploding psychedelic movement, and it fit them like an ill-cut kaftan. After all, psychedelia was about peace and love and flowers, and with earlier songs like “Stupid Girl” and “Play With Fire” and “Paint It Black,” the Rolling Stones’ mystique was (and in some ways still is) menacing and moody and disdainful. So when a paisley-bedecked Mick Jagger pranced in singing about universal love and togetherness, it seemed so off-brand that he couldn’t have been serious.

Yet while “Satanic Majesties” is subpar by the Stones’ very high standards, this beautifully packaged and sonically pristine set, which includes stereo and mono versions of the album on both vinyl and CD, shows that some long-overdue historic revisionism is in order.

For starters, as Rob Bowman points out in his excellent liner notes for this edition, a likely reason for the Stones’ antipathy toward the album is because it was recorded during a year that almost destroyed them. In 1967, Jagger, Keith Richards and Brian Jones all were arrested on drug charges and spent a night (or, in Jagger’s case, three nights) in jail. Jones’ longtime girlfriend Anita Pallenberg left him — for Richards. Soon after, Jones — already hobbled by the drug and alcohol abuse that contributed to his death two years later — suffered a nervous breakdown and checked into a medical facility for three weeks. As if that weren’t enough, during the recording of this album the group split with Andrew Loog Oldham, the manager and producer who’d guided them to stardom; they ended up producing themselves for the first time. And perhaps most of all, they were creatively, psychically and physically drained: Over the preceding three years they’d recorded and released approximately nine albums’ worth of material while gigging an average of five nights a week.

But the group always put a vast amount of care into their albums, and “Satanic Majesties” is no exception. That became clear over the past couple of years, as the ace team of Abkco chief engineer Teri Landi and veteran mastering engineer Bob Ludwig went back to the original tapes and meticulously remastered the album. Earlier this month Landi gave Variety a sneak peek at the results at Abkco’s Manhattan studio. There, she played the entire album, alternating between a mint original British vinyl stereo pressing of the album, a 2002 remastered CD, and the new remaster. Each has its charms — the original vinyl sounds impressively crisp and full — but broadly speaking the new remaster has more defined instrument separation and a warmer, vinylesque sound, where the 2002 CD is more shiny and digital-sounding.

“In 2002 we were paying a little more attention to finding a middle ground between what the master sounded like and what was cut for release,” Landi says. “This time, we opened it up to let everybody know what the master sounds like.”

Consequently, the album’s three gems — “She’s a Rainbow,” “Citadel” and one of the group’s all-time greatest songs, “2,000 Light Years From Home” — shine brighter than ever. The last-named track shows in stark relief just where the Stones got psychedelia wrong and where they got it right. A dark and menacing song about an astronaut traveling increasingly farther from Earth, it finds the group’s vibe actually fitting into a psychedelic sonic template, with Jones’ haunting Mellotron, a driving rhythm from drummer Charlie Watts and some suitably lysergic effects on Jagger’s vocal.

Conversely, “She’s a Rainbow” — essentially an update of their hit from earlier that year, “Ruby Tuesday” — is an uncharacteristically jaunty love song, with Nicky Hopkins’ marzipan piano and an appropriately flowery string arrangement from future Led Zeppelin bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones offsetting Jagger and Richards’ sometimes pitch-challenged vocals. And “Citadel,” one of the few songs on the album driven by a vintage Richards riff, has greater clarity when its trippier sonic effects abruptly come barging in.

While remastering cannot make a middling song into a good one, the album’s less-great tracks benefit enormously from the sonic polishing. Both “2,000 Man” and “The Lantern” feature stop/start rhythms and stylistically different sections, and the new mastering makes the transitions smoother and lifts a curtain from the individual instruments, which are mashed together on previous versions. The same is true on the experimental songs for which the group was so roundly criticized at the time, “Gomper” and the two versions of “Sing This All Together.” At first listen they sound like offhand, directionless, stoned jams (the second version of “Sing This All Together” even opens with someone, possibly Jagger, saying “Where’s that joint?”), but here are revealed to be carefully arranged and densely layered; the group may have been trying compensate with craft what the songs lack in art. Even a goofy jape like the closing “On With the Show” — sung by Jagger through a megaphone effect to make it sound like a 1930s showtune — got an elaborate arrangement and a signature riff that towers over the entire song.

“They were very dedicated to making this a consistent record,” Landi says. “It’s amazing, under the circumstances, that it flows as well as it does.”

The distinctions between the stereo and mono mixes reveal even more details. While many pre-1968 albums, including the Stones’ and even “Sgt. Pepper,” sound remarkably better in mono than stereo (because that’s how they were intended to be heard), nearly all fans agree that the stereo “Satanic Majesties” is superior: There are so many instruments and so much detail that the mono mix tends to flatten the kaleidoscopic sound. Having said that, as with most mono recordings, the rhythm section is louder and punchier in the mix, shining a brighter light on the understated, masterful work of Watts and especially bassist Bill Wyman.

Fifty years on, it’s easier to see this flawed yet fascinating album for what it is: a transition into what came next. Over the next five years, the Stones would release “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” “Honky Tonk Women” and the grand slam of the “Beggars Banquet,” “Let It Bleed,” “Sticky Fingers” and “Exile on Main Street” albums. In its way, “Satanic Majesties” paved the way for all of them.

“It’s such a vast departure from what they had previously done that it seemed like they were just jumping on the psychedelic bandwagon,” Landi says. “But really, it’s a natural bridge between what came before and what came next.”

[variety.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 25, 2017 13:44

New official animated video for "2000 Light Years From Home"

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 25, 2017 13:58

Deltics
New official animated video for "2000 Light Years From Home"

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:03

heck!!! .... ^^^^^

bUT sTILL wANNA 'eAR tHE mONO saCd ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:04

Really nice video. Thank you for posting.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:05

Great article. Very good description of highs and lows of the Satanic album.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:10

Nice video too. Reminds me a bit of Terry Gilliam's animations for Monty Python. Or was it actually made by him?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:20

I can't raise much enthusiasm for TSMR Deluxe edition.

I occasionally listen to it and it does have a few interesting songs which might have been really good under other circumstances

..but in words often uttered by my dear late dad

...much of it is "...just a bloody racket ! "

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-25 14:39 by Spud.

Date: August 25, 2017 14:24

.... Spud .... slip inta a caftan and sniff a fuel tank ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 25, 2017 14:27

grinning smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:31

Loved the video. Had forgotten how beautiful the lyrics are.

Date: August 25, 2017 14:33

.... YEAH the lyrics still knock one ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:37

The moths got my caftan about 45 years ago grinning smiley

Date: August 25, 2017 14:39

.....do you know any nuns ????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 25, 2017 14:41

bitusa2012
No-one will want to buy this off any of us in future.

You're talking 'investment' (resale value); not collection.

bitusa2012
A 50th Aftermath though? THAT would have been great.

Sure - completely agree.
(Although... who would buy thàt one from us?!)

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 25, 2017 15:27

This is being advertised on some American sports blogs.
You also see the Stones advertising on insurance company annuity Web sites.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home