Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary edition coming in September
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:31

I wonder if they'll airbrush Bill's voice out of In Another Land.

Re: Their Satanic Majesties Request - 50th Anniversary edition coming in September
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 31, 2017 05:44

Would like to see if they include the separate photos (two ? or three ? ) that they used to create the lenticular ( "3-D" ) image on the cover.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 31, 2017 07:39

A great collectors' item. New mixes. Should be interesting.

2000 Light Years in mono is powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 07:42 by exilestones.

Date: July 31, 2017 07:51

schillid
See if they fixed the dead-end in the maze in the gatefold

I'd bet you could fix it!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 31, 2017 08:51

I don't care how many times this album is being crapped over and over by the band or "Stones-snobs". This album is a standout. It's from a time when the band took chances and were towards-thinking. It has great songs too. It is an essential album.

Date: July 31, 2017 11:59

This could and should have been a great, classic re-release.
I think if the Stones really got behind something like this - with outtakes, maybe historic pictures, the Mono mix, this would have rivaled, overtaken the Exile re-release. It could have made quite a splash.
'Satanic' has never got the respect it deserves. "Pepper" and "Pet Sounds", "Forever Changes' are considered the classics. This is exactly why a well done remake could set some things right. It's not good that the Stones don't believe in their own Flower Power at all, LOL.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 31, 2017 12:13

Blueranger
I don't care how many times this album is being crapped over and over by the band or "Stones-snobs". This album is a standout. It's from a time when the band took chances and were towards-thinking. It has great songs too. It is an essential album.

Here here. There are two 'dodgy' songs on it - and one of those (Gomper) has a beautiful melody at the beginning. And it's from them that most of the loathing stems.

She's A Rainbow, Citadel, and 2000 Light Years From Home are worthy of inclusion on any great Stones album.

2000 Man, The Lantern, In Another Land are pretty decent psychedelic folk/rock songs.

And On With The Show and Sing This Altogether are charming period pieces, the Stones' trying something new.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 31, 2017 12:34

Blueranger
I believe the curent moaning is not about the album itself but rather for 'value vs. content'.
2002 - Stereo SACD hybrid CD.
2003 - Stereo LP remastered.
2016 - Mono CD in the box
2016 - Mono LP in the box
Thus the actual unique content will be SACD layer for mono CD and box itself.
I have strong doubts that 'new remaster by Bob Ludwig' will sound drastically different from the existing.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 16:01

[musique.fnac.com]

69,99 Euros and free shipping for France.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 31, 2017 16:04

From SuperDeluxeEdition website:

This set is one of the more straightforward to explain, since it comprises the stereo and mono versions of the album, newly remastered by by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering. Both mixes are pressed onto vinyl (lacquer cut by Sean Magee at Abbey Road Studios) and are supplied on two hybrid SACDs (super audio CDs).

So to be clear, this is a four-disc set that delivers two vinyl records and two hybrid SACDs – these aren’t being made available separately.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 31, 2017 18:25

Unboxing video ;

[m.youtube.com]

Date: July 31, 2017 18:50

Blueranger

thumbs up

Date: July 31, 2017 18:53

exilestones
A great collectors' item. New mixes. Should be interesting.

2000 Light Years in mono is powerful!

Not new mixes, but remastering (frequencies, dynamics, volume correction of the whole band etc. Not effects or volume adjustment on every or selected single instrument tracks).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-31 18:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 31, 2017 20:30

Palace Revolution 2000
I think if the Stones really got behind something like this - with outtakes, maybe historic pictures, the Mono mix, this would have rivaled, overtaken the Exile re-release. It could have made quite a splash.
'Satanic' has never got the respect it deserves. "Pepper" and "Pet Sounds", "Forever Changes' are considered the classics. This is exactly why a well done remake could set some things right. It's not good that the Stones don't believe in their own Flower Power at all, LOL.

I suspect the group have very little input to pre 1971 releases.
It's ABKCO's copyright....they stump up the production costs and in all probability derive more income (or profit) than the actual musicians themselves.

The Beatles (and widows) seem to have a much more involved role in the repackaging of old Beatles product. And yet again, they don't own the recording copyrights either.
Of course they have a company, APPLE, who have a team to help oversee such projects.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 31, 2017 20:34

That means BB Deluxe in '18?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 31, 2017 20:50

It's also available in the uDiscover Music Store (22-Sept-2017):

Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition, €67.99 - [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Their Satanic Majesties Request, 50th Anniversary Special Edition + Slipmat, €72.99 - [Store.uDiscoverMusic.com]

Date: July 31, 2017 21:21

jlowe
Palace Revolution 2000

It's ABKCO's copyright....they stump up the production costs and in all probability derive more income (or profit) than the actual musicians themselves.

The Beatles (and widows) seem to have a much more involved role in the repackaging of old Beatles product. And yet again, they don't own the recording copyrights either.
Of course they have a company, APPLE, who have a team to help oversee such projects.
Sh*t; good point; didnt think of that.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: July 31, 2017 21:58

I think that for new presentations of pre 1970 material ABKCO can do nothing without the Rolling Stones imprimatur..!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 31, 2017 22:11

I think Abkco can repackage already released music anyway they want but need the Stones approval for any unreleased material. If a 50th BB and LIB are released, sure hope the band allows out takes

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 31, 2017 22:17

DrPete
I think Abkco can repackage already released music anyway they want but need the Stones approval for any unreleased material. If a 50th BB and LIB are released, sure hope the band allows out takes

Well, if the unreleased stuff isn't put out officially , it could be in the 'Public Domain', under the 50 year rule.
So, will get released anyway!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2017 22:23

Yeah, I don't see the point of this without a lot of bonus content. You can only start to make a decent album out of it if you include it's psychedelic children, Dandelion and We Love You. This would be the perfect time to unveil any other musical artifacts from that short period of flower power time, before they turned the corner and became the band we know today. (Well, what's left of it).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 31, 2017 23:13

jlowe
DrPete

Well, if the unreleased stuff isn't put out officially , it could be in the 'Public Domain', under the 50 year rule.
So, will get released anyway!

Yes, but all we'll get is what's already available on bootlegs most of which you can get for free if you know where to look.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 31, 2017 23:32

jlowe
Palace Revolution 2000

Wrong. ABKCO will need Stones approval with every re-release.
The 1989 Singles Collection, Rock And Roll Circus, 2002 remasters, Singles boxes, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Charlie Is My Darling and the forthcoming On Air release - all approved by the band.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 1, 2017 01:15

Cristiano Radtke

So to be clear, this is a four-disc set that delivers two vinyl records and two hybrid SACDs – these aren’t being made available separately.

In Japan there's also a 2-hybrid-SACD-only version with 7"-Cover (UIGY-9707) available: Universal Music Japan -- [www.CDJapan.co.jp] -- Amazon Japan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-01 01:55 by Irix.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 1, 2017 01:40

Nice....I just keep it with my old record and the SACD

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 1, 2017 02:04

I'm sold. Have always loved this album

Date: August 1, 2017 03:51

The larger question is which mono mix will be used. The U.S.A mono version has always been more sought than the U.K. version. Will the church bells ring two times or three times before "The Lantern" slides into the grooves? It appears the U.K. version for the mono so I will pass. I already have the mono vinyl from the box so this is unnecessary. The SACD mono version sounds like the coolest thing about this.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1869

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 1, 2017 05:49

FromCDJapan site .....

The Rolling Stones' "Their Satanic Majesties Request" is reissued in Hybrid SACD format, commemorating the 50th anniversary of its release. This is a Japanese original edition. Features the latest remastering (2017 stereo / 2016 mono) by Bob Ludwig. Packed in a special 7-inch-sized folded cover artwork, featuring 3D lenticular printing. An obi faithfully replicates the one coming with the Japan first pressing LP. Includes two bonus cover artworks, each replicates Japan first pressing single ("She's A Rainbow," "The Lantern"). Comes with a 20-page color booklet, lyrics, and a description written in Japanese.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 1, 2017 06:16

Silver Dagger
Blueranger

Here here. There are two 'dodgy' songs on it - and one of those (Gomper) has a beautiful melody at the beginning. And it's from them that most of the loathing stems.

She's A Rainbow, Citadel, and 2000 Light Years From Home are worthy of inclusion on any great Stones album.

2000 Man, The Lantern, In Another Land are pretty decent psychedelic folk/rock songs.

And On With The Show and Sing This Altogether are charming period pieces, the Stones' trying something new.

A few tracks here could have changed the whole album like adding We Love You instead of Gomper but then it might not be as good while taking LSD?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: August 1, 2017 07:18

DrPete
This is nice but are they just following The Beatles again? Would rather have had a 50 year AFTERMATH set last year with the great out takes

Amen! The UK version of Aftermath is the 5th best Stones studio album (behind Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile).

As for the Satanic box, there's already been a hybrid stereo SACD release (2002), as well as mono (2016) and stereo (2003) vinyl re-pressings. So the primary appeal of this one will be the mono SACD and the 3D cover.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home