Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Hall & Oates
Date: July 29, 2017 12:49

It is hard to not associate that name with the annoying hit machine duo from MTV and the 80's. But even then one knew that there was more to them.
I went back, and checked out their extensive back catalog before their success, and was really surprised. Strong writers and singers from the get-go. Oates is a lot more involved early on. Also the duo hooked up with a pair of sisters, who joined in on the writing. So there was actually four of them writing. They releaSED 8-9 full albums of original material before hitting it big.
All these albums are very strong.
When learning about the history of these groups from 70's and early 80's it seems so different; they all found managers who believed in them.

When the got huge in the 80's, they also had put together a crack band; who could back anyone up. we saw them play for Jagger in Live Aid. In the 90's the Heartbreakers, and next decade the Foo Fighters became that type band.

Re: OT Hall & Oates
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 29, 2017 16:27

Palace Revolution 2000
I went back, and checked out their extensive back catalog before their success...

why?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 29, 2017 16:29

I have always admired Hall and Oates. Love the vocals of the pair, and Sara Smiles, Las Vegas Turnaround, She's Gone, Wait For Me,
some good sappy romantic stuff ;-)

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 29, 2017 16:58

35love
I have always admired Hall and Oates. Love the vocals of the pair, and Sara Smiles, Las Vegas Turnaround, She's Gone, Wait For Me,
some good sappy romantic stuff ;-)

Saw them many years ago open up for ELO (early 80's). I was sort of dreading having to sit through it, but was really surprised at how good they were, they really put on a great show, Daryl Hall is super talented and a hell of a singer.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:00

I celebrate their entire catalog.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:21

For what it’s worth, I like Hall and Oates

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:24

ryanpow
Office Space!

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: July 29, 2017 17:54

I'm going to see them on tour in Sept in Tuscaloosa AL.

Date: July 29, 2017 17:54

keefriff99
ryanpow
Office Space!

Yep! But I really do like H&O.

By the way, I'm gunna need those T.P.S. reports ASAP , so if you could go ahead and do that, that'd be great. Thanks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 17:58 by ryanpow.

Date: July 29, 2017 18:06

You can't have my red stapler...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2017 19:57

My wife and I saw them a couple of years ago, and it was like a walk down memory lane.
I prefer the '70's stuff much more than what came later, but all in all a pleasant concert in the same way as seeing the Eagles play all of their hits.
Nothing really to write home about, but no complaints.

Date: July 29, 2017 22:05

If you ever get a chance, I recommend the web series "Live At Daryl's House". On each episode there's a musical guest and they play some of the guests songs and some H&O songs in a studio set up in Daryl Hall's house. In between songs there's footage of them just hanging out. Its a good show and as far as I know its still free to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 22:07 by ryanpow.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 23:48

Saw them and Tears for Fears earlier this month...went to the show more excited to Tears for Fears, but left a fan of Hall & Oats as well. Put on a great show, very entertaining and Daryl Hall can flat out sing.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 30, 2017 00:31

ryanpow
If you ever get a chance, I recommend the web series "Live At Daryl's House". On each episode there's a musical guest and they play some of the guests songs and some H&O songs in a studio set up in Daryl Hall's house. In between songs there's footage of them just hanging out. Its a good show and as far as I know its still free to watch.

Yes a good show - I've seen episodes with Billy Gibbons, Smokey Robinson, and Joe Walsh among others.

Live From Daryl's House with Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way

Date: July 30, 2017 00:34

The Joe Walsh ep is one of my faves. I really like "Someone Like You" from that show.

Date: July 30, 2017 04:43

Hairball
ryanpow

Yes a good show - I've seen episodes with Billy Gibbons, Smokey Robinson, and Joe Walsh among others.

I actually found out about a few artists that I didnt know from that show; some young guys. One of the funniest moments on the show was in the Smokey episode, when it got downright awkward, when Hall and T bone had obviously planned to rope Smokey into doing 'Ooh Baby', and he just would not sing, LOL

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: July 30, 2017 10:54

There's some great live OGWT footage of them doing "She's Gone" from the mid 70s,it's great.
It's available on YouTube

Date: July 30, 2017 16:25

Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
ryanpow

I actually found out about a few artists that I didnt know from that show; some young guys. One of the funniest moments on the show was in the Smokey episode, when it got downright awkward, when Hall and T bone had obviously planned to rope Smokey into doing 'Ooh Baby', and he just would not sing, LOL

That was frustrating. Was there a reason he didn't want to sing that song?

Date: July 31, 2017 04:05

ryanpow
Palace Revolution 2000
Hairball
ryanpow

That was frustrating. Was there a reason he didn't want to sing that song?
I don't know Ryanpow. I thought it was funny. It seemed to me that it probably was some kind of contractual issue. Like "I am supposed to do only 2 originals, and 1 of Halls' songs, and nothing else..." I tell you though: Old Smokey never quite returned from wild years.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2017 04:11

Was scheduled to see them in L.A. Friday night, but they cancelled due to some problem with someone in Tears for Fears, the opening act. I made a Hall and Oates Greatest Hits CD recently and a lot of people love it, especially those who are younger and weren't exposed to them that much. They are way beyond your average pop group, having at least a good, hit producing ten years in the spotlight.

Date: July 31, 2017 05:21

underrated as artists

Date: July 31, 2017 05:53

keefriffhard4life
underrated as artists

Not sure they could be considered underrated since they made it in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 06:53

Wife and I in London in late 1982 (I think) and H&O were playing at the Hammersmith Odeon. I KNEW of the venue as being famous, wasn't aware of H&O (I THOUGHT) so bought some tickets to say I had been to the Odeon.

GREAT SHOW ... and I actually knew so many songs. They had obviously seeped into my sub-consciousness. I liked them then, I still do. Hall is a FANTASTIC singer, and together they can really harmonise.

Rod

Date: July 31, 2017 12:14

I'm glad lots of people commenting. I just want to reiterate that it is particularly the early albums that made me take note. Earlier in thread someone asked me why I went and listened to all of them. I do that a lot: get an artist, and start digging into them for a while. Often I do that with someone who I don't like at all, or didn't know much about.
'Whole Oats', 'Abandoned Luncheonette', 'War Babies', 'D Hall & J Oates', 'Bigger Than Both Of Us', "Beauty On A Backstreet','Along the Red Ledge', "XStatic', and 'MaRIGOLD sKY'. I was just so surprised how much they had put out.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 31, 2017 12:21

War Babies is great futuristic blue-eyed soul produced by the great Todd Rundgren. And Abandoned Luncheonette is also a high bench markek for the duo. Love them up to the Maneater period.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: August 2, 2017 08:45

i wrote John's memoir with him this year - some cool jagger stuff in the book

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 22, 2018 15:27

And another "co-headling" tour for H&A this summer after the one with Tears for Fears last year. This time it's "Train" and they're going back to some of the same places, like San Jose, they must have a huge fan base over there [www.rollingstone.com] !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 22, 2018 20:32

Funny coincidence seeing this topic today as I'm going to see Aimee Mann tonight and the last time I saw her was when she was in Til Tuesday, they opened and Hall and Oates in 1985 'Hey Day'...

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 22, 2018 21:13

I'm glad some posters brought up Live from Daryls place. Todd Rundgren did a great session there also check out Jose Feleciano, light my fire its awesome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-22 21:25 by virgil.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: January 22, 2018 21:19

They are local Philly Boys that always were part of the Philly soul sound in the 70's and 80's. One of the few white act's that played at Philly's Uptown theatre. They are local heroes and made some great music. Good music has always come outta Philly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1874
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home