Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Panama Powder Room & Godzi...Finally found???
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 27, 2017 01:44

Been investigating a bit on these legendary unreleased tracks.
In 1974/75, Bill Wyman put together an unreleased compilation of outtakes and live performances for ABKCO, titled "The Black Box".

Among those tracks was two that have never showed up before or since: "Godzi" and "Panama Powder Room". Quite a legend these two tracks has gained over the years...

The tracklist for "Black Box" was the following:

Side 1:
Bright Lights Big City (2:26)
Cops And Robbers (3:44)
I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys (2:41)
Little Red Rooster (2:44)
Down The Road Apiece (1:48)
Let's Talk It Over (aka. Don't Lie To Me) (2:04)

Side 2:
If You Let Me (3:18)
Godzi (1:32)
Panama Powder Room (3:12)
Gold Painted Nails (3:06)
Fannie Mae (2:12)
Meet Me In The Bottom (2:44)

Timings comes the paperwork MFSL got from ABKCO in the eighties and posted on IORR by member "thebeekcan", years ago.

Except for "Meet Me In The Bottom", "Fannie Mae", "Panama Powder Room", "Godzi" and "Gold Painted Nails", everything has since been released on other ABKCO compilations. The live versions of "Little Red Rooster" and "Down The Road Apiece", matches the timings of what is available on "Charlie Is My Darling - Live In England '65".
"Fannie Mae" is very likely going to be released this september on the new release of radio and tv recording "On Air". Otherwise it is widely available.
"Meet Me In The Bottom" remains unreleased, but is widely available on bootleg, as is "Gold Painted Nails" on the Satanic Majesties sessions box.

What is also found on that Satanic box, is "Blues Jam 3", timed 3:33. "Panama Poder Room" is listed on the paperwork as "3:12". Knowing that "Black Box" is, hugely a compilation of rhythm and blues inspired recordings, it could be the track, just maybe with a fade on the "Black Box".

"Godzi" being listed as "1:32" could in fact very well be what we all know now as "Title 5" on the Deluxe "Exile On Main St.", where it is 1:40 with take announcement and 1:34 without it.

What do you think?

[youtu.be]

Re: Panama Powder Room & Godzi...Finally found???
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: July 27, 2017 12:23

I don't have much to contribute in terms of info. But what strikes me -- if the above track listing is complete -- is that this "black box" compilation seems so small and random considering the wealth of great stuff they had in the vaults by then. Especially if they considered including things like Title 5. But what do I know, it could be a neat little album. After all, I do like the short, well-compiled, album format.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: July 27, 2017 12:44

I would say most likely no as Felix and Nico both have "Panama Powder Room" and "Godzi" listed as being from AUGUST 4-12 (3-11), 1966, RCA STUDIOS, HOLLYWOOD.

Somebody bought an acetate around 20 years ago - he knows better but he won't tell..

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: July 27, 2017 15:35

it's 'thkbeercan', not ' thebeekcan'

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:17

Blueranger
"Godzi" being listed as "1:32" could in fact very well be what we all know now as "Title 5" on the Deluxe "Exile On Main St.", where it is 1:40 with take announcement and 1:34 without it.

What do you think?

I think deducing through tracks duration is rather poor as investigation ...

Posted by: django ()
Date: July 27, 2017 22:51

Decca didn't like Bill's tracklist. They wanted more Jagger/Richards originals on the planed outtakes compilation. So Metamorphosis was released instead.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: July 28, 2017 00:31

Thank goodness. Metamorphosis is a much better collection!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:04

Tore Down a la Rimbaud - Van the Man

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:31

django
Decca didn't like Bill's tracklist. They wanted more Jagger/Richards originals on the planed outtakes compilation. So Metamorphosis was released instead.

I think it was Klein/ABKCO who was making the decisions by then, not DECCA.

ABKCO was of course in for publishing royalties..so less covers in the end.
Though, ironically these two 'missing'tracks are in fact original compositions.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 28, 2017 14:53

jlowe
django

I think it was Klein/ABKCO who was making the decisions by then, not DECCA.

ABKCO was of course in for publishing royalties..so less covers in the end.
Though, ironically these two 'missing'tracks are in fact original compositions.

I can see ABKCO's point, though half of Metamorphosis is crap.
ABKCO chose to not include blues covers, yet Bill didn't include neither Jiving Sister Fanny or Family. So, either way, they missed something in the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home