Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Article in Wall St. Journal about crappy new vinyl releases
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: July 25, 2017 06:38

They said a lot of vinyl is getting put out just using a digital recording not analog and so does not have the sound advantage. Any word on whether Stones would do that? The re-releases sound good to me, meaning Ya Ya's.

Re: Article in Wall St. Journal about crappy new vinyl releases
Date: July 25, 2017 09:01

On his last solo release Jack White does this weird thing on track one: depending on where you drop the needle at the start track 1, it will be either the acoustic or the electric version of that song. If you happen to get the acoustic e.g. then you can pick up the needle and drop it in the very neighboring groove, and the electric version is running parallel.
Eventually the two versions meet after a verse and then coalesce.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2017 09:07

That's a bit like the trick Monthy Python did where there they had two starts to one side of the album to make you think you'd put the wrong side on.... or hadn't turned it over.

I'm not even going to start about digital & analogue in this context.
Don't want here all day and there are many factors affecting the final quality of the record.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 25, 2017 09:30

Shott

Any word on whether Stones would do that?

The Vinyl-Edition of the Rolling Stones Mono-Box (2016) uses a digital source - Direct Stream Digital (DSD):

"Once the master tapes were used to transfer the music, that music was then converted to DSD 2.8MHz for mastering. Why not PCM? 'DSD most closely mirrors analogue in the digital world' said Landi. 'We really wanted to master in DSD, 24bit/192kHz just wasn’t close enough.' [...] The reason that digital mastering is preferable to just transferring the tape itself onto vinyl is because you have to correct many small (and larger) faults that have developed on the tape over the years as well as basic issues such as multiple tape alignments. Digital mastering can isolate and pin-point rogue frequencies and small errors. Try doing the same on a tape and not only will your error (hopefully) be fixed but that same ‘fix’ will occur across the entire frequency band over a wide area, causing problems before and after the ‘error’ causing, in effect, new errors. Hence, digital mastering was essential."

More about it: [TheAudiophileMan.com] .

Date: July 25, 2017 19:09

Spud
That's a bit like the trick Monthy Python did where there they had two starts to one side of the album to make you think you'd put the wrong side on.... or hadn't turned it over.

I'm not even going to start about digital & analogue in this context.
Don't want here all day and there are many factors affecting the final quality of the record.
Yeah I don't really like gimmicky tricks with the music.
The onl;y good interactive album release was 'Zaireeka" by Flaming Lips because it genuinely makes for good art IMO.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 25, 2017 20:50

A friend of mine visited a vinyl pressing plant where he was told 90 percent of records are from a digital source. That's why I stopped buying them unless they're too beautiful to pass up.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 26, 2017 01:43

Aren't vinyl pressings less compressed than digital formats? Even if vinyl uses a digital source, it will sound different due to that difference.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 26, 2017 01:50

Same diff ... remember when CD's first hit some of 'em
were just taken from vinyl copies ... crackles and all .... hhhhaaa ...record companies hhhmmmmmm

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 26, 2017 04:52

Any new release that was done on ProTools and is on vinyl is just a money grab. Some bands and artists use tape - and master for vinyl and all digital releases differently.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home